• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello everyone

DavidOutram

Time of past OR future Camino
1-2 weeks
I planning at trip with Mum she can’t walk she is slow what’s the best route to start on I am new Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum, @DavidOutram.

she can’t walk she is slow what’s the best route to start
Perhaps you can give us some more information about what you are looking for. There is a big difference between "can't walk" and being slow. As @lettingo says, the Camino Frances has the most services and best infrastructure, but Pamplona is still a 750 km walk to Santiago.

Are you interested in a simple visit to the Cathedral in Santiago, in a week-long walk from Sarria that qualifies for a Compostela, a bus tour that shows parts of the Camino, a supported walking tour, or a lengthy walking pilgrimage? All of those options can be found.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you want to qualify for a Compostela from the Santiago Cathedral, you must walk at least 100 km on one of the recognized routes. In that case, your options are somewhat limited - to the Portuguese, the Frances, and the Ingles.

As mentioned, the Camino Frances from Sarria has the most services and is the most flexible for distances required, but it will also be very busy in August when the Spaniards typically take their vacations and walk that route. Therefore you might even want to make reservations along the route - if you find that the distance to accommodation is too far on any given day, taxis should be easy to find. (Even July is usually less busy than August, although you might want to avoid being in Santiago on St. James day, July 25.)

Perhaps others will offer some comments about the alternatives - Portuguese and Ingles - which I m not familiar with.

I thinking of going to September 2023 is good time of year to go ?

When is best time to go?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
September might be a better time to walk the last 100 km from Sarria, than August. The total numbers will probably be less in that region. September is a very busy time for people starting in St Jean Pied de Port, but that bubble of pilgrims won't reach Sarria until late September or October. Meanwhile, the Spanish school children will be back in school.

If you decide to starting in Sarria, perhaps the second week of September would be a good choice.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.