• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello everyone

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just so you know - if you are in reasonably good health, and if it is what you WANT to do.... you would probably be fine doing a longer Camino even your first go. The idea is to pace yourself and listen to your body. If you keep your plans flexible as many of us do, then you can walk until your body tells you to stop for the night. You can also take rest days as needed. For me - the idea of a "short Camino" to start is kind of counter productive. Why? It takes a good week or so to get in a good walking rhythm and get comfortable walking the longer distances every day. By the 2nd or 3rd week is when you start feeling better and then by the 4th or 5th week most of us are in pretty good shape. I am not saying to not do a short Camino if that is what you want to do, but letting you know that there could be advantages to just going "all in" and do the length of a Camino that you want to ultimately do. Also - many of us feel the deeper spiritual aspects of the Camino generally start affecting us in the later weeks of the walk. The first week or two you are focused on physical challenges and it is later that you get into the spiritual aspects. (For many of us anyway - not all).

Anyhow - I hope you get to do your Camino soon and in whatever way, distance, length of time you decide to do it! If you want the flexibility to do long or short days - look for routes that have many accommodations at shorter distances apart like much of the Frances and probably the Portuguese. Other routes may have longer distances between accommodations and are less ideal for those who want more flexibility in distances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I'm a 76 year old in reasonably good health and thinking about walking a Camino. I'd probably start with a "baby" Camino to make sure I can finish but I'm fascinated by the spiritual dimension of the walk. Anyway, I'm glad to be here.
Excellent.

Thereā€™s something for everyone.

Only advice I can offer - whatever stage of life youā€™re at - is ā€˜get on with itā€™, itā€™s not as difficult, strange or confusing as many seem to assume and thereā€™s a fair chance youā€™ll want to do it again.

Thereā€™s really no such thing as a ā€˜babyā€™ one; Iā€™ve just had no more than a week of walking (padded out by prologue and epilogue) in which I filled 1 1/2 credentiales and bored everyone senseless. Next time I do the ā€˜fullā€™ Frances Ivar will need to add server space.

Hi @backlasher - I walked my first camino at the age of 63. That was 8 years ago. I walked a "baby" one (Portuguese Coastal) a couple of years later, pre-pandemic. Unless the sky falls in, I'll be walking the full 1,000 klm VDLP this year, starting 2 days after my 71st birthday. I say this to put the age thing into perspective.

One of the biggest lessons for me when I first walked the CF (the whole lot) was the issue of "I have to do "X"" . That is, I'll have "failed" if I don't do <.... fill in your own words ...>.

When you say "to make sure I can finish" I say, "for whom?". I went into my first camino with that sort of thought. Maybe it's different if you're a young 'un, but for us oldies, I now say, just go with the flow. Yes, our knees aren't as good as they used to be. Sure, maybe we're a bit slower. If you have to take a taxi because you're worn out today, then do it. At the age of 76, nobody will be keeping score.

I see that you're from Texas (I'm from Australia). I've not spent enough time in Texas to make any judgements, but I reckon I can fairly safely say that whatever you decide to do it'll be far far removed from normal Texan life, and you'll have heaps of fun.

Buen Camino ...

Hi @backlasher - I walked my first camino at the age of 63. That was 8 years ago. I walked a "baby" one (Portuguese Coastal) a couple of years later, pre-pandemic. Unless the sky falls in, I'll be walking the full 1,000 klm VDLP this year, starting 2 days after my 71st birthday. I say this to put the age thing into perspective.

One of the biggest lessons for me when I first walked the CF (the whole lot) was the issue of "I have to do "X"" . That is, I'll have "failed" if I don't do <.... fill in your own words ...>.

When you say "to make sure I can finish" I say, "for whom?". I went into my first camino with that sort of thought. Maybe it's different if you're a young 'un, but for us oldies, I now say, just go with the flow. Yes, our knees aren't as good as they used to be. Sure, maybe we're a bit slower. If you have to take a taxi because you're worn out today, then do it. At the age of 76, nobody will be keeping score.

I see that you're from Texas (I'm from Australia). I've not spent enough time in Texas to make any judgements, but I reckon I can fairly safely say that whatever you decide to do it'll be far far removed from normal Texan life, and you'll have heaps of fun.

Buen Camino ...
ā€œ I walked my first camino at the age of 63. That was 8 years ago.ā€ So inspiring! Iā€™m walking my first this year, just turned 64 and hope I too will be still walking them 8 years from now

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started walking Camino when I was 55. I am now 61 and bar the "COVID years'" have walked a Camino each year.
The mind does not age the body does.
Do not hold back, go for a long contemplative Camino. See what it brings you and the people around you. Do not wait or prevaricate, the time to go is when you feel right for the challenge, and judging from your post that is now or fast approaching.
Your body is capable of exceeding your minds expectations and this is true of walking long distances. The first week, as has been pointed out, will open you up and walk you fit. Your brain will probably tell you "enough is enough" but expect this and push through it.The rest will be whatever you want to make of it. See where it takes you.
Shortly I set out on my venture this year. Previous years Caminos have enlightened me on where I want to be. And I want to be back, back in that space. Returning to a state of mind that the Camino fosters, religious or not, and I am guessing it will be the same for you.
So Buen Camino, take your first steps and the rest will follow.
Don.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ā€¦.and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rateā€¦.I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as ā€œEasy Camino Francesā€...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.