• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello fellow Pilgrims

Malcolm Doyle

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the Camino, the French way, arriving in France, Biarritz the 10/5/2016
I have virtually no experience in hiking and I'm planning to do the CF on the 10 th of May. I was wondering what books or guides would you recommend that will help finding, routes, accommodation and food, I am looking to do it on a cheap budget and I am in no hurry. I am doing it solo. Male 47, Ireland. Thanks if anyone can help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Malcolm!

If you have little experience of hiking then there is probably no more straightforward introduction than the Camino Frances. Very long and varied but with a huge infrastructure of accommodation, signposting, food and equipment support. The albergues along the way are generally safe and comfortable and remarkably cheap. Plus you have the benefit (or perhaps challenge) of a vast number of other pilgrims walking alongside you. As a result you can walk with minimal equipment, maps or guides. It is very hard to get properly lost for long on the Frances as you can probably just follow the rucksack in front. Or wait 5 minutes for the next one :) The link Wayfarer has given is probably all the practical information you need to carry. Almost any question you can think of has probably been chewed over on this forum at some time or another. Lots of advice on preparation too. A great resource.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome to the forum Malcolm. If you have no experience of hiking I assume you do not possess walking boots/shoes. I suggest that you trawl through the relevant sections here on equipment so that you can identify what would suit your needs and make sure your footwear is well broken in (although my Salamon boots were great from the start) before you start walking. Some UK outdoor clothing stores allow you 'test drive' boots and backpacks for up to a month before returning them if unsuitable, just as long as they have not been outdoors. As you are planning to walk in May you probably can do without a sleeping bag, which will cut down weight in your backpack, and yo can manage with a liner instead. As Wayfarer said, most people use the Brierley guide. I did and found it most useful for my first Camino last year. Start the process of toughening up your feet and building strength in your legs by scheduling more walking into your daily life now, as the first stage of the Camino Frances will make real demands on your stamina. But you are young - I am in my late 60s - so you will be fine and have the journey of a lifetime. Buen Camino!

Welcome to the forum Malcolm. If you have no experience of hiking I assume you do not possess walking boots/shoes. I suggest that you trawl through the relevant sections here on equipment so that you can identify what would suit your needs and make sure your footwear is well broken in (although my Salamon boots were great from the start) before you start walking. Some UK outdoor clothing stores allow you 'test drive' boots and backpacks for up to a month before returning them if unsuitable, just as long as they have not been outdoors. As you are planning to walk in May you probably can do without a sleeping bag, which will cut down weight in your backpack, and yo can manage with a liner instead. As Wayfarer said, most people use the Brierley guide. I did and found it most useful for my first Camino last year. Start the process of toughening up your feet and building strength in your legs by scheduling more walking into your daily life now, as the first stage of the Camino Frances will make real demands on your stamina. But you are young - I am in my late 60s - so you will be fine and have the journey of a lifetime. Buen Camino!
Thank you, very much, yes I will have to start getting a bit of practice and training in.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Malcolm,

As others have said - it's all very simple. But a little bit of training and properly fitting footwear will definitely help! A guidebook, such as the John Brierley will be useful when figuring out where you might stop/stay, which will also help you with your budgeting.

The Irish Camino Society is holding some information events in Dublin, Cork and Belfast. Details here:
http://www.caminosociety.ie/http:/

The 53 Degrees North stores also have information events from time to time. They have a more commercial focus (as they involve a tour operator) but are still a good source of basic information. If you live in NI, there are similar events in the Cotswold Outdoors store.

Buen Camino!

Thank you very much, I will check these out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have virtually no experience in hiking and I'm planning to do the CF on the 10 th of May. I was wondering what books or guides would you recommend that will help finding, routes, accommodation and food, I am looking to do it on a cheap budget and I am in no hurry. I am doing it solo. Male 47, Ireland. Thanks if anyone can help.
We found the Miam Miam DoDo invaluable as it gives the address and tel no of every albergue, pension, hotel and casa rural on the Camino. Got us out of bother a few times. Get the latest addition possible from Amazon or the confraternity in Dublin should have it. Not sure if the 2016 is available yet as its published each year. Good luck Annette

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Malcolm,
Maybe we will see you this coming Saturday 27 Feb at the Irish Camino Society info day, in St James' Church Hall, in Dublin 8?? As NualaOC suggested--check out the society website, www.caminosociety.ie. Our information office, also at St James' parish, will be open Thurs-Fri-Sat from the beginning of March. Copies of the current Brierley and UK (CSJ) guides are available in the office, and our volunteers are only too happy to 'talk camino' to visitors. You'll be very welcome!

Yeah that sound good Silverton, just might do that

Thanks for that !

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back