• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Newbie - favorite podcasts, youtubes, etc.?

NerdGjerd

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie - Maybe late March ‘23 CF
Hi! my name is Chris

Thank you all for your posts, it has been very helpful. My first Camino is just an idea now. I am hoping for 2023 with no firm start date.

Is there a thread where members list some of their favorite Camino podcasts, blogs, YouTubes, FindPenguins, etc? I am searching and have found a couple I enjoy. But it would be cool to get opinions on some of your favorites. I Please share your favorites, or a link to where this has been discussed. I have found I am a big fan of Nadine’s YouTubes. Efrains and Janisvlogz too. And Dan Mullins‘s podcast. Newbie/educational posts would be best.

A little about me: 57, California guy, a bit chonky, walking 4mi/day currently, have had lumbar surgery and still have random back issues occasionally, have not backpacked or taken longer hikes since I was 12, might be battling plantar fasciitis but not sure since it’s only when resting and in back not bottom of heel (seeing podiatrist next week about that), arterial sclerosis too. Looking forward to both the quiet and the fellowship. I’m assuming I will be not be coming to the Camino with any friends or family. Not religious but interested in the culture, history and architecture. Terrible at learning language. I’m assuming I’ll start at SJPDP but figure I will only get to Orisson the first night, if after 4/1 and weather permitting. I have time, so I hope to have rest days in a few different spots and keep the first few days under 20km to see how that feels. I like to avoid peak crowds and hottest season.

if you have found any good media to supplement my lurking and liking here, please reply! Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is there a thread where members list some of their favorite Camino podcasts, blogs, YouTubes, FindPenguins, etc?
There certainly is!

If you click on "Forums" on the menu, you'll see among other feeds, a list of all the forums and sub-forums. Scroll way down on that list to "Other Information Sources". Under that heading, see Videos, Blogs, Podcasts and Photo Albums. That should keep you busy for awhile! 🤣

How you describe yourself is very much like many of us, so you will have lots of company.

Forum members love to discuss all things Camino-related. One topic that people often disagree about, is how much preparation (and what type) - especially watching videos - you should do. There are some people who simply cannot consume enough videos and books, and others who argue that less is better because your expectations may get unrealistic. Only you know which type you are. I advocate something in the middle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Chris!
As C clearly says loads and loads of choice!

David Tallan posted a collection here
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-collection-of-camino-videos.68039/#post-977694
Robo's YouTube channel with weekly vids plus more website advice and planning tools about a lot of great stuff (website In search of Santiago https://robscamino.com/ )

Lindsey Holland walks YouTube great vids of the Fances path (and not many of her feet which a lot of vloggers seem to think is interesting) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClXxrmEpqUY62DHfrhMFw2g

This one by Clemens van Aken lots of the way shown

Buen Camino Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen camino, @NerdGjerd.
None, but then I don't want to ruin the wonder of a new walk by seeing it ahead of time, and having expectations as a result. I don't watch camino vids afterwards either, having had my own experience.

But that's me.
Scroll through the menu that @C clearly mentioned - you're spoiled for choice!

Wow, thank you all! Yes I can see the point of view that I should be careful to not get unrealistic expectations. Hmm might be too late. But I’ll keep that in mind.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen camino, @NerdGjerd.
None, but then I don't want to ruin the wonder of a new walk by seeing it ahead of time, and having expectations as a result. I don't watch camino vids afterwards either, having had my own experience.
I agree. Focus on gear selection, logistics of getting to/from the Camino, etc. Let your Camino be your own experience without the influence of other's experiences.

You will have a great time. Don't worry if you do not have time or energy to see everyone's 'must do' list. Remember it is your camino ............. and anyway, there's always next time to catch up on bits that you missed first time round. Buen Camino

I'd rather see things for myself the first time. I do love the photos and posts for routes I'm unlikely to take, the more remote and difficult ones, but for routes I might walk I don't want to see too much. Just enough to get a flavour.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’ve been enjoying watching Rob’s and Nadine’s videos of what to pack. And of course reading so many of your posts here. Thanks again all.

You'll find plenty of great information here and everyone is very helpful.
Orisson fills up quickly, so I would book that as early as you can. The first day from SJPdP is brutal and breaking it up is very sensible. I would definitely consider having 2 nights in SJPdP to combat jetlag.
I'm partial to this YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/@CaminoGuide , he has done a few Caminos and takes a group of students each year. He's pretty reasonable and not obnoxious.
Google gear lists, blogs and experiences and read them all. lol You'll pick and choose which to follow for recommendations. There are tons of information available and only some of it will apply to you. I'm a fan of information overload. You will have to decide how far you want to walk each day, you can do the regular stages that most people do or create your own itinerary. My major advice would be to allow yourself extra time, try not to book your Camino flights too stringently, if possible pad the trip with an extra week or more to allow for rest days or sick days. It always breaks my heart to hear of people that get sick or have severe blisters, etc and have to cut stages or go home because their time does not allow for a few days to heal or recuperate. It's also nice to have a few days post Camino to sightsee, relax and eat.
Walk as much as you can, especially up and down hills, with your pack between now and then to get used to the whole process and to learn how your body reacts to the constant stress of Camino. I should have walked more hills prior to going, I will not make that mistake twice :D Learning what hotspots on your feet feel like is better done at home. Learning to take more breaks and to just sit down on the grass for a few minutes is something that took me a couple of weeks on Camino to figure out.

Buen Camino!

The series from Crystal Gordon of her Camino Frances on her « Valhalla Adventures’ YouTube channel is very good. I’m enjoying it immensely.
A second vote for Vanhalla Adventures. She's a good videographer and editor, and gives a good feel for what life on the camino is like.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are some people who simply cannot consume enough videos and books, and others who argue that less is better because your expectations may get unrealistic. Only you know which type you are. I advocate something in the middle.
I am an "others" who sort of thinks this is useful, especially "the less is better", in part because it is impossible to know the middle.

And probably many of the more veteran members on this forum have very fond memories of their first Camino for which they consumed almost nothing, did few bookings, perhaps had a basic guide book & Miam-Miam-Dodo for reference en-route for planning a few days ahead. Then ventured into the unknown with the comfort that yellow arrows would protect them against getting seriously lost.

Then ventured into the unknown with the comfort that yellow arrows would protect them against getting seriously lost.
When people ask me about the different routes I sometimes say that the Camino Francés is great for beginners because it basically "holds your hand" with its excellent infrastructure and yellow arrows.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am an "others" who sort of thinks this is useful, especially "the less is better", in part because it is impossible to know the middle.

And probably many of the more veteran members on this forum have very fond memories of their first Camino for which they consumed almost nothing, did few bookings, perhaps had a basic guide book & Miam-Miam-Dodo for reference en-route for planning a few days ahead. Then ventured into the unknown with the comfort that yellow arrows would protect them against getting seriously lost.
I backpacked all over the world pre-Internet, and my friends and I often reflect on how different it was back then, with nothing (other than perhaps a Lonely Planet guide book) available to research and plan the trip. No videos to watch, no social media to scroll, no online booking channels, etc. It was magical, and something that can't be compared to today's travel.
That said, today I consume ridiculous amounts of content as I plan for any trip, and I love it. Can't turn back the clock. :)

Hey, Chris
If you want to see what the Camino Frances Route is really like then check out
my videos. I have edited and published 17 videos in the last month from my
September, 2022 thru hike of that camino. So, these videos are from a very
recent hike And I show you the camino like nobody else.
No drones, no fancy production, just one man with a camera in his hand.
To get you started take a look at my Las Herrerias to Fillobal Video also known
as Up and Over O Cebreiro

I backpacked all over the world pre-Internet, and my friends and I often reflect on how different it was back then, with nothing (other than perhaps a Lonely Planet guide book) available to research and plan the trip. No videos to watch, no social media to scroll, no online booking channels, etc. It was magical, and something that can't be compared to today's travel.
That said, today I consume ridiculous amounts of content as I plan for any trip, and I love it. Can't turn back the clock. :)
I’m in your camp, @JustJack unlike the wildly unplanned travel of my youth in the 80s, I planned with my husband our sjpp to SdC Camino this summer, including efren videos, google maps, books, and about 1/3 of our nights pre-booked and each stage planned mileage-wise. It was my first Camino and his second. Even though he was the “Camino veteran” it was a complete joy to share the planning. But my 2023 plan is to walk the portugues solo from porto with only my first night in porto and one night at casa fernanda booked. If one has the luxury, each Camino can be different and meet a different need.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
People have been recommending videos, and my own list is linked in one of the posts above. My list is pretty much exactly the opposite of what Trecile recommends: it doesn't have any of the advice videos and really focuses on the experience videos. Each to their own. I enjoy watching people's Caminos and it helps me recreate some of the feel and experience of my own. There are various categories in the list and each is preceded by a selection of some of my favourites in that category.

But no one seems to be recommending podcasts. So here are some of those that I've subscribed to. Generally they are hosts interviewing people about their Caminos or Camino related topics.

The Camino Podcast was one of the first that I found and is excellent. It started in December 2015 and has produced 57 episodes over the years, with the most recent being in April 2021 (here were several hiatuses). The host is David Whitsun.

My Camino - the podcast, hosted by Dan Mullins is another venerable podcast with over 300 episodes and one I try and stay up to date on.

The Sacred Steps Podcast is hosted by Kevin Donahue as a companion to his pilgrimage books and looks at a number of pilgrimage routes, of course including the Camino.

Spirit of the Camino is a bit different from the others, being not so much interviews as a discussion between @jungleboy and @Wendy Werneth about their experiences on the Caminos they walk. They've done three seasons of episodes so far.

The Camino Cafe is another ongoing podcast, hosted by Leigh Brennan, who has now moved to Santiago. It started in April 2021 as a way to keep that Camino feeling in the midst of a pandemic when walking plans were being put on hold and is still going strong.

Project Camino ran from 2017 into 2019. It has stopped, but there are plenty of episodes with host John Brennan and guests to listen to.

El Camino de Santiago Pilgrims' Podcast ran from July 2019 until February this year, mostly hosted by Bradley Chermside. It had focus on not just getting people's experiences, but their tips for other pilgrims.

Last but not least, El Camino People is hosted by Jose Mari Ardanaz Ezcurdia, who lives in Pamplona along the Camino Frances. There are both English and Spanish language versions of this podcast. The English language version has 64 episodes so far, the most recent from this past June.

That should give you something to listen to when you are not watching videos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spirit of the Camino is a bit different from the others, being not so much interviews as a discussion between @jungleboy and @Wendy Werneth about their experiences on the Caminos they walk. They've done three seasons of episodes so far.
Thank you for the mention! :) We are looking forward to recording the first episode of season four this weekend!

Last but not least, El Camino People is hosted by Jose Mari Ardanaz Ezcurdia, who lives in Pamplona along the Camino Frances. There are both English and Spanish language versions of this podcast. The English language version has 64 episodes so far, the most recent from this past June.
I had a great conversation with Jose a while ago for his podcast and the episode was released today. For anyone who is interested in listening, here's the link:

#66 Exploring the Spirit of the Camino with Nick Leonard: A Journey of Pilgrimage, Travel, and Adventure

Hi Nick,
Thanks for sharing the link to the podcast. I have watched fifteen minutes so far late last night and will continue. It is so nice to "see" you in person😅 and hear your thoughts in answering the questions in the interview.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love Mark Shea’s film which is over ten years old now. I didn’t watch it until after my first camino and it provoked many memories and was very moving.

Thank you Chrissy and enjoy the Norte!
Hi Nick, I am plugging away a little at a time at the Youtube podcast/interview "Spirit of the Camino"; only because I am on the Norte and pre-occupied much of the time.
P.S. I see you have started a new Camino and I will be following along.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.