• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Pamplona

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Just popped in to say a quick hello while my clothing is drying. It has been a hard day, as I picked up a very sore throat and a possible cold. Last night in Zubiri, I was trapped in a very humid room with some women who were using salves and lotions and perfumes, oh my.... woke up feeling very ill. I now understand why it is not good to hang clothing in the room while it dries; just too humid.

I arrived at Corazon Puro and met Mary Louise on the 29th Sept, and we had a wonderful time albeit we both were a bit weary from long travels. The next day, she immediately began her walk over the Pyrenees, although I had elected to stay in SJPP to look around and take photos, staying at Beilari where I met some very wonderful people. Some very good times there, for sure, with a lot of laughing and comraderie. The next day found us walking up to beautiful Orisson, where we made a large dent in the beer. Oh, yes, yes, yes indeed. It was a HOT day, and not at all similar to the one following....

The walk over the mountains the next day was definitely a challenge, with lots of heavy, heavy rain and fog rolling in up top. We were glad to reach the hut and enjoy some time to have a bit of lunch and laugh at our sorry and cold and wet situation, ha ha. We were drenched, even with the wonderful rain gear. Seriously, that Pyrenees path is not to be taken lightly. I made good time to Roncesvalles.

I have decided that Roncesvalles is very similar to heaven. Then, after a wonderful time there, on to Zubiri. A good workout with slippery downhills. I was most appreciative to get one of the last beds there, as there seem to be many on the way.

Tonight, here I am at...a place with Podlike beds. I am so ill right now, with a bit of fever and sore throat, that I took the first place after I arrived at the beautiful street right after the Pamplona cathedral. In truth, I kind of fell in. I plan to recuperate and aim to gargle with some salt water and also to add it to tonights beer. Sorry for the lack of proper punctuation. The Spanish keyboard.´

Muchos besos a todo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sounds like you are having a great time so far! I hope that you feel better soon, be careful not to push yourself too hard with that cold! (Talking from experience - I'm sitting in Santiago after having that same thing - sore throat and cold and I'm now coughing and sounding like I smoke 60 cigarettes a day!)

Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just popped in to say a quick hello while my clothing is drying. It has been a hard day, as I picked up a very sore throat and a possible cold. Last night in Zubiri, I was trapped in a very humid room with some women who were using salves and lotions and perfumes, oh my.... woke up feeling very ill. I now understand why it is not good to hang clothing in the room while it dries; just too humid.

I arrived at Corazon Puro and met Mary Louise on the 29th Sept, and we had a wonderful time albeit we both were a bit weary from long travels. The next day, she immediately began her walk over the Pyrenees, although I had elected to stay in SJPP to look around and take photos, staying at Beilari where I met some very wonderful people. Some very good times there, for sure, with a lot of laughing and comraderie. The next day found us walking up to beautiful Orisson, where we made a large dent in the beer. Oh, yes, yes, yes indeed. It was a HOT day, and not at all similar to the one following....

The walk over the mountains the next day was definitely a challenge, with lots of heavy, heavy rain and fog rolling in up top. We were glad to reach the hut and enjoy some time to have a bit of lunch and laugh at our sorry and cold and wet situation, ha ha. We were drenched, even with the wonderful rain gear. Seriously, that Pyrenees path is not to be taken lightly. I made good time to Roncesvalles.

I have decided that Roncesvalles is very similar to heaven. Then, after a wonderful time there, on to Zubiri. A good workout with slippery downhills. I was most appreciative to get one of the last beds there, as there seem to be many on the way.

Tonight, here I am at...a place with Podlike beds. I am so ill right now, with a bit of fever and sore throat, that I took the first place after I arrived at the beautiful street right after the Pamplona cathedral. In truth, I kind of fell in. I plan to recuperate and aim to gargle with some salt water and also to add it to tonights beer. Sorry for the lack of proper punctuation. The Spanish keyboard.´

Muchos besos a todo
Hi, as Mountaingoat999 said take a day off.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you for posting, I have wondered how you were getting along - and it sounds as though up until today you've had a great time.
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Deb, so glad to hear about your Camino now that you're finally on the trail!! Feel better soon - don't be afraid to take a day off to fully rest and recover. Jet lag combined with pushing hard can sometimes be a bad mix. Take care and keep us all posted!
Faith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So happy for you that you are finally walking!!!
Maybe getting sick in the start will save you from later on. I think I can safely say, that we have almost all been there! Take it slow, fluids, ibuprophen and rest. Buen Camino, Pam

Hold on a minute, you ' made a large dent in beer' and now you have a 'cold'...:) Yup, take a day off, drink a little 'hair o the dog' and restart.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So pleased to hear you're on your way and going well so far, Deb! I've been thinking of you and hoping you would "check in" soon. Bad luck about the cold though. The salt water sounds like a good idea - some of the beautiful fresh orange juice you find in nearly every bar would be good too. I tend to agree with the wise words of others above - a rest day would be good at this point. You have a tough climb to follow so give yourself a day to rest up and get over the worst of the cold. Even two days if it's really bad. You'll be glad you did. I hope you are well enough to see a little of lovely Pamplona. Then it's onward and upward - ultreia!

So sorry about the cold and I hope you are over it quickly. Your description of your first days sounds like you have been having an extraordinary good time, despite this setback. May there be many more great days ahead, and a cold long forgotten when you reach Santiago.

Having seen tonight and tomorrow's weather forecasts then yes a day off to recoup, repack. Forward to Ivar all the excess load. With the alto del perdon ahead a ready day is good advice. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, Deb...have been thinking of you and wondering how and where you are!
I'm sooo sorry about the cold...but you're in a good place to rest. I stayed there in March, and loved the privacy screens that give a sense of solitude.

And you can shed kilos thanks to the Pamplona post office...send whatever seems unnecessary to Ivar (and then you get to meet him in Santiago...a bonus ;)).

Fortunately zumo de naranja is easy to find and you can make hot lemon ginger with honey in the albergue.
This year I came down with something with a sore throat, light fever, and body aches. But it moved through unusually quickly, maybe because of the walking, and the day of rest. During the rest day, I drank all the above, and took vitamin C with zinc.
I sure hope the same wonderful cure happens for you!
Sent you a PM...

Sorry about your sore throat, which is what I was always prone to. Each time I started with one, it was after our long distance flight and all that that entails. Air conditioning in the plane, plus close vicinity to passengers that have 'something'. Invariably, within 2 days, I had a sore throat, which then took days to get rid of!
According to the weather report, tomorrow, Monday, is not going to be brilliant. Take a break! Enjoy Pamplona, it's a lovely town!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe you will get lucky & find some Vic's rub. Never fun getting a pesky cold. You can't get much better than having to recover than in Pamplona. The tough part I assume is getting a day behind your walking mates. But hopefully you will wake up & be fine!

Maybe you will get lucky & find some Vic's rub. Never fun getting a pesky cold. You can't get much better than having to recover than in Pamplona. The tough part I assume is getting a day behind your walking mates. But hopefully you will wake up & be fine!

I prefer walking alone, so no problem!!

So sorry you are sick :(

I've been sick many times on the Camino.
I go to the Farmacia and get Flumucil.
It saved my life more than once. Not Fluemil, but Flu-mu-cil.
It is a tablet you dissolve in water like Alka Seltzer.
Takes away the pain and clears the sinuses and chest.
Helps make you feel human again.

That said, get a private room and take a few days rest.
I hope you get well soon!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You found a good spot to recover. I stayed with Iñaki and César for five nights to recover from a muscle inflammation. They were so nice and hospitable! Get well soon!

Great progress so far - sorry to hear that you're not well. Hope you are having a good rest in Pamplona and that you feel better soon. Buen Camino!

Hello Deb,

Feel very sorry for your throat and cold: take some rest and drink a lot of tea with honey and pressed citrus, it does well by me!
Keep warm and start again when it goes better...
Weather should be better starting Wednesday: there is some hope!

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Deb. Sorry to hear of your cold, but I'm glad to hear that you are able to keep your beer consumption up, that is very important for good health (in my opinion). Do like Annie said, get yourself to a Farmacia. The people who work in them are usually very helpful.

Muchos besos a todo

Muchos besos a todo

I know the feeling – when I did my Camino in 2013 I had a bad cold – felt miserable – but went to a pharmacy – by sign language indicated I had a cold – what I got was in a bright red box of medicine – it was wonderful cost about € 12 but was worth it

Hi Debra, I was looking forward to reading about your travels, sorry to hear about the cold, plenty of hot drinks! Hot whiskeys to be precise. Hope your feeling better, and when your up to it drop us a line again to let us know how the travels are going :)
Rita

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Debra, I was looking forward to reading about your travels, sorry to hear about the cold, plenty of hot drinks! Hot whiskeys to be precise. Hope your feeling better, and when your up to it drop us a line again to let us know how the travels are going :)
Rita
Yes I forgot about warm whiskey & honey, drink enough of those & you will sleep like a baby.

So sorry you are sick :(

I've been sick many times on the Camino.
I go to the Farmacia and get Flumucil.
It saved my life more than once. Not Fluemil, but Flu-mu-cil.
It is a tablet you dissolve in water like Alka Seltzer.
Takes away the pain and clears the sinuses and chest.
Helps make you feel human again.

That said, get a private room and take a few days rest.
I hope you get well soon!
I would strongly second Annie's recommendation.
I know I said I was going to disconnect from the Forum, but you were very supportive and interested in my Caminos, so I feel you deserve the same from me. It sound like you are suffering from the same thing that afflicts me. When these storms move into Pays Basque across the Atlantic, they bring some strong allergy induced problems. I have become sold on FLUMUCIL, it is like nothing sold in the US and clears up your cold/allergies overnight.
I gave a dose to a woman from Holland 2 years ago who thought she was ready to die from a cold she caught in O'Cebreira; the next morning she said she had never felt better.
Beun Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would strongly second Annie's recommendation.
I know I said I was going to disconnect from the Forum, but you were very supportive and interested in my Caminos, so I feel you deserve the same from me. It sound like you are suffering from the same thing that afflicts me. When these storms move into Pays Basque across the Atlantic, they bring some strong allergy induced problems. I have become sold on FLUMUCIL, it is like nothing sold in the US and clears up your cold/allergies overnight.
I gave a dose to a woman from Holland 2 years ago who thought she was ready to die from a cold she caught in O'Cebreira; the next morning she said she had never felt better.
Beun Camino
Darn glad we haven't lost you & what you bring to this forum.

Am concerned about Deb. I've been in the air between Seattle & Madrid, and don't see anything posted from her on this thread since Sunday. Maybe there is another thread? I DO hope she's ok? Am heading to Pamplona tomorrow - anything I can do?
Terry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Am concerned about Deb. I've been in the air between Seattle & Madrid, and don't see anything posted from her on this thread since Sunday. Maybe there is another thread? I DO hope she's ok? Am heading to Pamplona tomorrow - anything I can do?
Terry
She was on yesterday, she shows up late day usually Spain time pm her if she has internet I think she would respond

Am concerned about Deb. I've been in the air between Seattle & Madrid, and don't see anything posted from her on this thread since Sunday. Maybe there is another thread? I DO hope she's ok.
She is posting briefly but regularly on Facebook and has moved on. During the walk, it can be hard to keep up with several communication streams!

She was on yesterday, she shows up late day usually Spain time pm her if she has internet I think she would respond
Thank you very much for the concern and <i apologizxe for the weird stuff with this computer. <i am not used to a spanish keyboard, obviously<1....<i am well, my friends. my body is well trained and has not let me down one bit. <no pain. <no struggles. <only one blister. <my cold is a pain in the rear, but <i am joyful and having the most wonderful time. <i walk alone, <i walk alone. <it is what <i prefer. <in the night, <<i have been trying to heal up with the cold issue, but am afraid that <i am succumbing to my wonderful friendships and trying to disinfect my lungs with some fabuloso vino tinto<1 <manano, voy a ir a Estella para la noche.

<muchas gracias por tus piensos.

Deb

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You found a good spot to recover. I stayed with Iñaki and César for five nights to recover from a muscle inflammation. They were so nice and hospitable! Get well soon!
omg, <i fell in <love with those guys<...

Thank you very much for the concern and <i apologizxe for the weird stuff with this computer. <i am not used to a spanish keyboard, obviously<1....<i am well, my friends. my body is well trained and has not let me down one bit. <no pain. <no struggles. <only one blister. <my cold is a pain in the rear, but <i am joyful and having the most wonderful time. <i walk alone, <i walk alone. <it is what <i prefer. <in the night, <<i have been trying to heal up with the cold issue, but am afraid that <i am succumbing to my wonderful friendships and trying to disinfect my lungs with some fabuloso vino tinto<1 <manano, voy a ir a Estella para la noche.

<muchas gracias por tus piensos.

Deb
Wow I am impressed you found a Spanish PC that quickly! Took me a couple weeks to find one. Have you had to ask for help @ an ATM yet? :rolleyes:

Buy a small piece of jengibre (ginger) in a fruit and vegetable shop, cut into small slices and keep some on your tongue. Dry the remaining slices and keep them on your journey for future use. It's a cheap and efficient disinfectant. ;) Good luck and ultreya!
Adriaan !
Here in Holland we allways drink some ginebra with lemon (jenever met citroenen:)) makes you sweating ! In Portugal was a good alternative for jenever..aguardent 50° proof alcohol.. Within 2 days the coldth was gone and the daily pace increased significantly :p. Good stuff..

Houdoe !

Buen Camino Deb, hope you feel better soon. For the sounds of it life is good in the Camino.
Chris

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back