• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Hello from the Camino

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm now 11 days and about 240km/150 miles into the Camino. For about the first week I was walking with a nice little Camino 'family', but we have become scattered. Two of the group had to take a couple of days rest. I think that the heat got to them. One guy walked on farther than the group. Another joined a group of younger people closer to his age, then two days ago I was feeling like I was becoming too dependent on the remaining two, a married couple. I wasn't having to make my own decisions, or find my own way. Plus, they had decided to take a slower pace than I wanted to for a few days.

So now I'm in search of new walking partners, which I'm sure I'll find. But I'm already feeling nostalgic for the early days of my Camino.

I'm also very grateful for all the good advice I got from this forum. Love my Pacer Poles and my hands free umbrella! And I thoroughly enjoyed staying at Corazon Puro and Orisson.

The two merino wool dresses I made for the Camino are wonderful to walk and sleep in. If you see a woman with Pacer Poles wearing a dress with an umbrella attached to her pack, it's me!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good to hear from you! Have you tested your Parcho yet?

I know what you mean about feeling that you are becoming too dependent on the same companions. On one trip I forced myself to separate from a group of extremely nice people, because I was beginning to feel that I was at summer camp. That isn't what I wanted. It is good to go through the experience of being on your own again, with the good and the bad, and finding new people you like or don't like.

Good to hear from you! Have you tested your Parcho yet?

I know what you mean about feeling that you are becoming too dependent on the same companions. On one trip I forced myself to separate from a group of extremely nice people, because I was beginning to feel that I was at summer camp. That isn't what I wanted. It is good to go through the experience of being on your own again, with the good and the bad, and finding new people you like or don't like.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I was wondering if I made a mistake by separating, and I may not have if the original group had stayed more intact. I am in contact with my friends from that group, so I can always arrange to meet them somewhere along the way, though that would probably require that I spend a day or two longer at some spot.
I have a goal in mind as to the day I want to reach Santiago or Finesterre, so I'd have to weigh that desire against the desire to meet up with them.
But I still have weeks to go. :)

As far as the Parcho goes , I have used it just as a makeshift pack cover, and it worked well for that. The couple that I was walking with had Packs, and I have to say that they are very nice. The price tag was pretty steep on those though. But after the time it took me to make the Parcho I can see that the Packa may be worth the price. It is very well designed, and much lighter than an Altus.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@trecile Remember always you walk your Camino (not in the sense that you own the Camino, but in the sense to walk the Camino which is right for you at that given moment) As much as you like your initial Camino family, the Camino will provide other opportunities to connect or re-connect. Just one step at a time ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Hola, @trecile!
That's the spirit: trust and walk....
It's so easy to hang on and much harder to let go into the flow. But you have! Wonderful.
There will be other 'families,' but in the end you have to walk your own walk at your own pace and in your own company. Walking this way is so empowering and confidence-building and deepening...and holding onto nothing, everything comes.
Buen Camino and ultreia!

I'm also very grateful for all the good advice I got from this forum. Love my Pacer Poles and my hands free umbrella! And I thoroughly enjoyed staying at Corazon Puro and Orisson.

So good to hear you are having a great time .
Does anyone know if the handsfree umbrella can be purchased in St Jean ?

Thanks
Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just think of the wonderful reunions you'll have down the Camino when you run into members of your original family. Those moments are so precious.

We walked at a very different pace to most (very slow), and yet we collected up our own dispersed and precious Camino family. Some we didn't meet until after Sarria. Others we met early, they departed, and somehow in the mystery of it all we reconnected in Santiago or Finesterre. I came to understand more of how in our lives on this planet we meet, we join, we part, and with some our paths entwine in beautiful and unexpected ways. A vast mysterious labyrinth.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm meeting some nice people along the Camino. We introduce ourselves and I'm ashamed to say within minutes their names have gone from my head. I think the heat must be frying my brain. :-((
Has anyone else experienced the likes of this?

I'm meeting some nice people along the Camino. We introduce ourselves and I'm ashamed to say within minutes their names have gone from my head. I think the heat must be frying my brain. :-((

Hi Stephen! I certainly have. I can think of one reason. I grew up in Holland and moved to Finland in 1972. Each new name in a strange language was a new word to learn. That soon became impossible. So I switched off. Unfortunately, that switch stayed off and I have a hard time remembering any names. The funny thing is, I remember some names and tend to forget others like you do. I'd just admit it. Or go for the white lie: "What was your name again?" Answer: "John". Your reply: "Of course I knew that. But your surname?" ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
;);)

;) Are you kidding ? Happens every day to me .... No one seems to mind

Names are merely labels... I'll bet that you remember who they are and the experiences that you've shared and THAT'S far more important :)

€83,-
Hi Stephen
Yes I know this too. My trick was to ask names twice and then I really could remember them better. Asking it the second time I just explained myself that I need to ask it twice to be able to remember and then You get a big smile back ;-)
Buen Camino

It also h
Hi Stephen
Yes I know this too. My trick was to ask names twice and then I really could remember them better. Asking it the second time I just explained myself that I need to ask it twice to be able to remember and then You get a big smile back ;-)
Buen Camino
It also helps if you say the name out loud, maybe even twice.
Like, "Bill Smith eh? Pleased to meet you Bill Smith."
Looking directly at the person's face while saying this helps reinforce the connection between the name and the face.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Hi Stephen
Good Way [/ QUOTE]
Exactly. They smile because the experience is all too common - probably also to them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the long, hot walk between Burgos and Hontanas yesterday I could have sold a dozen umbrellas! If someone set up a stand selling them they could make a fortune. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm bad at this too. I have a solution that I haven't had the guts to try because, while I like taking pictures, I'm reserved when it comes to taking pictures of people.

I've thought of taking one of those kid's sketch pads with a wax base layer, a grey plastic cover for it and a clear plastic cover over that. You know, you write on the top layer and then you pull up on the top sheets to erase things. So, the idea is that you ask to take their picture and then you do it again with their name and their (or family's) email written down "so you can send a copy of the first photo" when you get to wifi.

Can come in handy writing down information about scenery shots too.

Arrived at Molinaseca today after the walk down from the Cruz de Ferro. Weather still fantastic. Being a religious holiday hard to find the Pilgrim meal but had a superb main course in the town. Another religious procession tonight.
Met a number of people today. We started at Leon so takes time to realise who you are walking with.
Hard day tomorrow 32 Kms. Enjoying the whole experience.

I did ask about footwear in a forum topic months ago and have to say the Salomon trail runners have been superb. 4 days in and no blisters.
Really pleased no boots. Thanks for all the advice. We took it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back