• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from the Norte

Sedona2012

Bobbie Surber
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances st Jean to Santiago (Sept/Oct 2012) Finisterre Oct 2012
Part -Portugues (Oct. 2012)
Camino del Norte June-July 2013
Part of Camino Vezelay July 2013
Leon to Santiago October 2015
A very wet hello to all. I have made it to Ribadesella I 19 days with only two days of complete sunshine. The rain and mud has been torrential and unrelenting :)

Still the sun shined during my stay on the beach in Santander and Comillas. Both days were complete bliss.

Albergues have run from a garage to the magic of Ernesto's Albergue in Guemes.

Pilgrims, the best!

I have decided to stay in the Norte skipping the Primitivo and continue to pray for a little less rain.

Buen Camino,

Bobbie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Bobbie

Good to hear that you are enjoying your pilgrimage despite the wet weather.
I sense that you are embracing your encounters, whatever they may be.
I do hope that weather will change for you, as it seems that many pilgrims have much struggle with the weather so far this year.
I guess the only way to counter it, is to keep ones spirit high.
I wish you all the best for the remainder of your camino, and do let us know how you perceived it later on.

Lettinggo :)

Go girl go!!
Best wishes
George.g

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well done - so far so good.. How did you get on with finding Albergues? I tend to get lost in cities (bright lights etc...) Did you find the Albergues in San Sebastian and Bilbao ok?

Thanks to all for the replies... Try are treasured gifts :)

I stayed in youth hostel in both San Sebastián and Bilbao. Both great and in Santander I stayed in Albergue first night then BBB Hostel the second night.

The remainder have been in Albergues.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

Hope you having good time!

Pls tell us more for the Norte. :)

How busy it is? What is the weather like? how hard is it?

Im thinking to do it before the end of summer but i have my worries!

thanks
Antonis

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Antonis,

Will this be your first Camino? If yes, think about the Camino Frances. I love the Norte, the small amount of pilgrims, the rugged views of the coast on one side and the mountains on the other.

The hard parts have been the cold rain, wind and mud but that is manageable. The hardest part for me is all of the road walking... very little natural pathways. The hard surfaces are brutal on your feet and legs. I have watched a few pilgrims give up as the pain became too great. I have taken more rest days than I ever dreamed I would and this has helped me avoid the leg issues.

The way marking can be frustrating at time but I never became truly lost just had to find an alternate route at times :)
Dave Whitson,'s guidebook, the Northern Camino's has been a great help.

The village, towns and cities are very friendly and I have found much kindness along the Norte.

Over all each and every day for the last month I have been filled with gratitude to be walking the Norte.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,
Glad you enjoyed the Norte, but it sounds like you didn't like the roads, I found that so long as the super highway was in operation, the local roads were very quiet as a rule, and I don't mind walking on the road as often the of road option gave the best views (however there were some parts that got a little tedious and a mite dangerous at times ie the west route out of Bilbao) I agree with you the Norte is very different due I guess to the small number of pilgrims and the distance/accomodation options each day.
Regards.
George.g

Bobbie, how goes it?
on 23 June you were at a cross-roads in Oviedo, wondering whether to go Primitivo or Norte.
Am I to read from the above that you chose Norte in the end? Looking forward to your next update and hoping your feet n knees are holding up! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, glad to here you are continuing the journey on the Norte, I plan to go this way same time next year. Would be of interest to know names of Albergues you stayed at and your feedback re opening times and conditions. All the best with your journey, and hope the rain is behind you now.

Hi All!

I actually went to Oviedo and started walking the Primitivo then stopped and knew for me U had to go back to the Norte.

I'm in Mondonedo and loving being back in the mountains! Great walk today less road walking more foot paths and dirk roads. Wester good. Left knee sore but feet better.

As far as the Albergues they have all been fine and when I a large city I opted for Hostel for a break from the Albergues.

Must do Albergues:

Guemes and the legendary Ernesto.
Youth Hostel in Ribadesella right on the beach!
Loved the family that runs the Albergue in San Vincente de la Barquera

A great hotel in El Pito "Cason's Selgas Hotel. 22€ including dinner and breakfast per person.wonderful family run. Very clean .

Must go to Tapia de Casariego. Albergue right at the ocean same with Ribadeo. Million dollar views!

So happy and filled with gratitude to be on the Norte!

Buen Camino!
Tapia

Just arrived in Azua, tomorrow Santiago if I can survive the heat! Temp is 93 degrees! Whow, I went from winter to hot summer in les than 24 hours!

Buen Camino for the Norte

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Congratulations on almost getting to Santiago! Yes, SUPER hot here! Walk safe, drink lots of water :) And since you'll be here on a Friday, if you attend the 7:30pm mass, you'll see the botafumeiro swing!

Buen Camino.

Made it to Pedrouzo and stopped to let the masses pass me by. As warned arriving at the Frances has been a bit of a shock to the system ad so strange to see so many people you do not know. Tomorrow Santiago after a good nights sleep and a better attitude!

Almost hard to believe my Camino is about to end for now :)

I have arrived in Santiago from the Norte. So many emotions and so very grateful to have finished this amazing Journey.
Blessings to all of you or your help and encouragement.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bobbie,

What wonderful new! Congratulations on your successful camino!

Glad to learn in your previous post that you obtained a room at the San Martin Hospedario. You will be comfortable there and the location is SO convenient for the cathedral.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Sedona2012 said:
Hi All!

I actually went to Oviedo and started walking the Primitivo then stopped and knew for me U had to go back to the Norte.

I'm in Mondonedo and loving being back in the mountains! Great walk today less road walking more foot paths and dirk roads. Wester good. Left knee sore but feet better.

As far as the Albergues they have all been fine and when I a large city I opted for Hostel for a break from the Albergues.

Must do Albergues:

Guemes and the legendary Ernesto.
Youth Hostel in Ribadesella right on the beach!
Loved the family that runs the Albergue in San Vincente de la Barquera

A great hotel in El Pito "Cason's Selgas Hotel. 22€ including dinner and breakfast per person.wonderful family run. Very clean .

Must go to Tapia de Casariego. Albergue right at the ocean same with Ribadeo. Million dollar views!

So happy and filled with gratitude to be on the Norte!

Buen Camino!
Tapia

Hi! Congratulations Peregrina! May I ask why you turned around after Oviedo and continued on the Norte? We are leaving tomorrow and our plan was to take the Norte to Oviedo - and then continue on the Primitivo! Thank you so much!! Shari

Hola Bobbie

I hope you have returned safely to your home and would like to hear how the way from Oviedo, Costal to SdC is compared with the rest of the Norte? Is it like the first part?
It is a part I haven't walked and I'm just curious how you would describe it while your memories are fresh about it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Shari,

Follow your plans as everyone has told me how very special the Primitivo is. For me I just had this gut feeling that told me I must stay on the Norte.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie

Hi Lettinggo,

Still not home :) I have joined a Camino friend on the Vezelay Camino making my way very slowly to St. Jean Pied de Port :)

The remainder of the Norte continues to have far too much road walking but also some lovely locations to visit. Sobrado, the lovely folks at Miraz, Ribadeo,Luarca are stand outs.

Sedona2012 said:
I have joined a Camino friend on the Vezelay Camino making my way very slowly to St. Jean Pied de Port :)

Are you walking from Santiago to SJPP?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Bobbie

Good to hear that your thoughts about CN after Oviedo.
It sounds like it is similar to the part before Villaviscosa, so I have a good idea about it.
:)

Annie, yea, I think she may be, if I am reading the route correctly, although it is general mostly is in France. She may have moved to Burgundy and is going south towards Saint Jean..
Intriguing.. well wherever she is, it sounds to me that she is good and experiencing life as we seldom do.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I started the Vezelay Camino in Periguex and now two days away from St. Jean Pied de Port. The people, views and pilgrim Refuge have all been so lovely. Weather brutally hot so I walk in the morning and hitch hike in the afternoon. Having a wonderful time! Next Camino... Le Puy :)

Hola Bobbie

Right after the Vezelay Camino? ;)
Or do you plan a break?
As far as I can see you have moved through three seasons already..
A lot like my own Camino a few years ago.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I reached St. Jean Pied de Port today. Such a lovely last day walking in the Pyrenees with an overcast sky and finally cooler weather.

Both strange and wonderful to be back in St. Jean, my first time back sense the start of my Camino Frances September of 2012. Feels as if I have gone full circle... St Jean to Santiago the Irun to Santiago and now Vezelay to st jean.
What a year I have had! So many awesome experiences and pilgrims I will never forget!

Buen Camino,
Bobbie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.