• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello! Happy to have joined this forum!

Northpole

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo 2023
Hi everyone, I just found this forum a week or two ago and have been browsing and reading lots since then. So much great stuff here! I was supposed to do the Camino Portugues from Porto in 2021, but we cancelled because of Covid. I was going with a group, through a travel agency, with hotels and luggage transport. I hadn't done much research myself then, honestly. But I was left with a desire to walk, and over the last few weeks, three people I know have completed different Caminos, which has rekindled my interest. I really want to disconnect, take it slow, and be 100% present. I also want to challenge myself in two specific areas: traveling light (not "packing my fears", as I have read here on the forum!) and not being so worried about everything (will there be room in the albuerge, will people snore, what if I get horrible blisters, etc.)

I am feeling drawn to the Primitivo because of the landscape and the fact that there seems to be very little asphalt. But no decisions made yet, for now, I am reading and dreaming and enjoying following the posts of forum members currently on the Camino. Thanks to all of you for sharing so willingly of your experiences and knowledge! (Oh and I love how there is a discussion on everything, including the Macabi skirt. I am definitely in the YES to hiking skirts camp! :) )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola or from down under G'Day
Welcome to the Forum. So glad you are enjoying your browsing.
A couple of tips: before asking a question do a search and see if you can find a recent response. If the response is more than 4 years old then yes maybe you can post a new question.
I two have the Porto on my bucket list - looks like its Sept 2023.
I have not done the Primitivo but there are more than a few posts by knowlegeable pilgrims.
Again welcome and Buen Camino.

Welcome to the forum! By all means, get familiar with the Search function, but it certainly has its limitations. Feel free to post your own version of a question!

You might find it helpful to look at the overall listing of forums and subforums. You can see that by clicking on "Forums" on the menu, or clicking the big logo image at the top.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome @Northpole! I've recently completed the Primitivo for the second time. It is a fabulous, short, camino, suitable for those who are fit. My recommendation for a first camino is always the Camino Francés, provided you have the time for a 4 to 5 week walk. If not, the Primitivo is a great choice.

A voice from the wilderness of Ireland - listen to the words of those who know! You will become one of them, each time you tread the paths. May your camino bring you what you look for, as well as a few surprises.🐾

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola or from down under G'Day
Welcome to the Forum. So glad you are enjoying your browsing.
A couple of tips: before asking a question do a search and see if you can find a recent response. If the response is more than 4 years old then yes maybe you can post a new question.
I two have the Porto on my bucket list - looks like its Sept 2023.
I have not done the Primitivo but there are more than a few posts by knowlegeable pilgrims.
Again welcome and Buen Camino.
Thanks so much, Mike! Yes, so much good stuff here, it is very impressive. Porto 2023 sounds like a great plan!

Welcome @Northpole! I've recently completed the Primitivo for the second time. It is a fabulous, short, camino, suitable for those who are fit. My recommendation for a first camino is always the Camino Francés, provided you have the time for a 4 to 5 week walk. If not, the Primitivo is a great choice.
I appreciate your recommendation, thank you! Three weeks is basically what I will have next year, so if I wanted to do the Frances it would be part of it, not all, but I am not opposed to that. (A friend is on Chemin de Puy now and boy, that looks SO beautiful!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Le Puy is beautiful (I've done it twice, so obviously I loved it) but it does not quite have "the camino" feel about it, which I think is important for a first camino. The Le Puy has lots of "le sportif" French hikers out for a weekend or a few days, not so many other nationalities, and very few going all the way to Santiago de Compostela. It is also often tricky to find bars and shops open (not on Sundays, Mondays and often Tuesdays) as nowadays in French villages people seem to travel by car for shopping in larger centres. Especially for a two or three week stint I'd recommend the Primitivo over the Le Puy for that reason - it feels like "a camino" with other pilgrims from all over the world, does not require pre-planning, has great infrastructure with an emphasis on pilgrim stops and accommodation, the landscape is gorgeous and you do get to finish in Santiago de Compostela.

Just my take. But whatever you decide,"just do it" - I do hope you have a wonderful time and Buen Camino!

Hi everyone, I just found this forum a week or two ago and have been browsing and reading lots since then. So much great stuff here! I was supposed to do the Camino Portugues from Porto in 2021, but we cancelled because of Covid. I was going with a group, through a travel agency, with hotels and luggage transport. I hadn't done much research myself then, honestly. But I was left with a desire to walk, and over the last few weeks, three people I know have completed different Caminos, which has rekindled my interest. I really want to disconnect, take it slow, and be 100% present. I also want to challenge myself in two specific areas: traveling light (not "packing my fears", as I have read here on the forum!) and not being so worried about everything (will there be room in the albuerge, will people snore, what if I get horrible blisters, etc.)

I am feeling drawn to the Primitivo because of the landscape and the fact that there seems to be very little asphalt. But no decisions made yet, for now, I am reading and dreaming and enjoying following the posts of forum members currently on the Camino. Thanks to all of you for sharing so willingly of your experiences and knowledge! (Oh and I love how there is a discussion on everything, including the Macabi skirt. I am definitely in the YES to hiking skirts camp! :) )
Blessings on your journey. Safe travels and Buen Camino. Father Scott

The Le Puy is beautiful (I've done it twice, so obviously I loved it) but it does not quite have "the camino" feel about it, which I think is important for a first camino. The Le Puy has lots of "le sportif" French hikers out for a weekend or a few days, not so many other nationalities, and very few going all the way to Santiago de Compostela. It is also often tricky to find bars and shops open (not on Sundays, Mondays and often Tuesdays) as nowadays in French villages people seem to travel by car for shopping in larger centres. Especially for a two or three week stint I'd recommend the Primitivo over the Le Puy for that reason - it feels like "a camino" with other pilgrims from all over the world, does not require pre-planning, has great infrastructure with an emphasis on pilgrim stops and accommodation, the landscape is gorgeous and you do get to finish in Santiago de Compostela.

Just my take. But whatever you decide,"just do it" - I do hope you have a wonderful time and Buen Camino!
We are walking Le Puy to Burgos starting early Sept 2022. I have only high school french so am trying to brush up on that. From what I have seen it looks to be a beautiful trip but I too worry that the international connections may be limited. Added a bit of the Frances for that very reason. Nervous but excited!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks so much for your comment, this is very helpful! I do feel the Primitivo calling me now... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.