• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello, may my heroes journey begin

MathieuleBleu

Time of past OR future Camino
start mid of April 2023
Hi fellow pilgrims,

if all goes well, I will start on the 18th. I quit my job, quit my flat, leaving everything behind, for now.
A part of me is so scared to leave all the outside security behind.
I struggle a lot even with small adventures and this is by no means a small one.
Just making all the decisions about buying the "right" gear is a challenge. I want to do it right.

I hope that in a few weeks or months I will look back and laugh and have something new I am doing or at least have something in mind and feel proud that I took on the journey. A heroes journey if you are familiar with the concept.Already I feel grateful for all the people sharing info here in the forum.

I hope I do board the train in a couple of days. Something in me would rather hide some place that feels safe then enter the unknown.

Hope to meet many of you on the way or here in the forum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi fellow pilgrims,

if all goes well, I will start on the 18th. I quit my job, quit my flat, leaving everything behind, for now.
I struggle a lot even with small adventures and this is by no means a small one.
Just making all the decisions about buying the "right" gear is a challenge. I want to do it right.

I hope that in a few weeks or months I will look back and laugh and have something new I am doing or at least have something in mind and feel proud that I took on the journey. A heroes journey if you are familiar with the concept.Already I feel grateful for all the people sharing info here in the forum.

I hope I do board the train in a couple of days. Something in me would rather hide some place that feels safe then enter the unknown.

Welcome to the forum @MathieuleBleu. When I read your post, two quotes came to mind, both of which kept me going when I was planning my camino:

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see further.

Every day do something that really scares you. (Eleanor Roosevelt)

Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum @MathieuleBleu. When I read your post, two quotes came to mind, both of which kept me going when I was planning my camino:

Buen camino
We are the pilgrims, master; we shall go,
Always a little further; it may be,
Beyond that last blue mountain, barred with snow,
Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

James Elroy Flecker
Thank you all for your words. My heart warms a little and says, "maybe we can do it for real, one step after the other"

What I've learned during my relatively long period of planning, and after consulting a ridiculous number of websites/blogs/forums/youtube etc., is that buying the "right" equipment is far less important than you may think right now. Other than shoes - which must be "right" - nothing else matters that much. what kind of clothes, what size of backpack, what size towel, what kind of soap, etc etc etc is mostly a distraction.

You may very well hone in on those smaller details at some point down the road, either before, during, or after this first camino, but at the beginning stage of deciding to go I wouldn't sweat those details. I've read countless accounts of pilgrim's camino experience, and I don't see comments from a pilgrims lamenting their choice of wool vs synthetic, or the size of their backpacks. If those things were as important as they feel to you right now, then they would be a big part of peoples' post-camino reflections. But they aren't, because they aren't that important.

Spend your time focusing on the bigger picture - why you're giving up the comforts of your regular life to do this. Really give that some thought beforehand, and give it more thought while walking. Or focus on the history of the camino, and all the places you will be walking through.

Gear is the simplest problem to solve, so don't sweat that part. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Good luck. It’ll be fine.

What I've learned during my relatively long period of planning, and after consulting a ridiculous number of websites/blogs/forums/youtube etc., is that buying the "right" equipment is far less important than you may think right now. Other than shoes - which must be "right" - nothing else matters that much. what kind of clothes, what size of backpack, what size towel, what kind of soap, etc etc etc is mostly a distraction.

You may very well hone in on those smaller details at some point down the road, either before, during, or after this first camino, but at the beginning stage of deciding to go I wouldn't sweat those details. I've read countless accounts of pilgrim's camino experience, and I don't see comments from a pilgrims lamenting their choice of wool vs synthetic, or the size of their backpacks. If those things were as important as they feel to you right now, then they would be a big part of peoples' post-camino reflections. But they aren't, because they aren't that important.

Spend your time focusing on the bigger picture - why you're giving up the comforts of your regular life to do this. Really give that some thought beforehand, and give it more thought while walking. Or focus on the history of the camino, and all the places you will be walking through.

Gear is the simplest problem to solve, so don't sweat that part. Buen Camino!
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. Yes gear is not THE main point.
I guess a part of me wants to run away and another part hopes to get closer to myself with each step on the way. I have a whole list of reasons but right now its just fear of spending so much money and then not going or just being stressed all the time and ending in a worse place then now.

Not sure if this is the right place but here is my list of whys:
- to show myself I can do it, I can make a plan, get stuff, spend money, and actually do it
- get out of my current life and look at it from a distance
- gather experiences
- meet interesting people
- show myself that many fears do not come true (hopefully)
- simplicity
- kind of like a walking retreat (walk, eat, shower/wash, socialize maybe, sleep - repeat)
- check if there is truth to a spiritual message I received (very critical about it but I have to admit it is part of why)
- hopefully explore my highly sensitive person side more
- time in nature
- grounding and moving
- letting go of some stuff
- trying to orient my life towards action instead of waiting for better things to come

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. Yes gear is not THE main point.
I guess a part of me wants to run away and another part hopes to get closer to myself with each step on the way. I have a whole list of reasons but right now its just fear of spending so much money and then not going or just being stressed all the time and ending in a worse place then now.

Not sure if this is the right place but here is my list of whys:
- to show myself I can do it, I can make a plan, get stuff, spend money, and actually do it
- get out of my current life and look at it from a distance
- gather experiences
- meet interesting people
- show myself that many fears do not come true (hopefully)
- simplicity
- kind of like a walking retreat (walk, eat, shower/wash, socialize maybe, sleep - repeat)
- check if there is truth to a spiritual message I received (very critical about it but I have to admit it is part of why)
- hopefully explore my highly sensitive person side more
- time in nature
- grounding and moving
- letting go of some stuff
- trying to orient my life towards action instead of waiting for better things to come
Spend more time reading this forum, and reading blogs and watching youtube videos. You will find many many people asking the exact same questions and searching for the same answers as you. Myself included :).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spend more time reading this forum, and reading blogs and watching youtube videos. You will find many many people asking the exact same questions and searching for the same answers as you. Myself included :).
The pile is too big already :D Yeah we all share a lot.

Here I go, ever the contrarian:“Spend more time reading this forum, and reading blogs and watching youtube videos.”

No, no, a thousand times no. You’ve already decided. Now all you have to do is figure out how to get to your starting point and start walking. The Camino will unfold as it always does- differently for everyone. 😉

The only remaining challenge is flight times, overland travel logistics and arriving anywhere, always, in time for lunch. This forum is not that resource and nor is there a single blog, vlog or U-bend video that is any substitute for your local high street Travel Agent or an afternoon on the internet. Buen Camino

We are the pilgrims, master; we shall go,
Always a little further; it may be,
Beyond that last blue mountain, barred with snow,
Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

James Elroy Flecker
You skipped over my favourite lines! Oddly enough I heard large chunks of the poem this afternoon as they were quoted in an audiobook I am listening to.

"But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?" :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here I go, ever the contrarian:“Spend more time reading this forum, and reading blogs and watching youtube videos.”

No, no, a thousand times no. You’ve already decided. Now all you have to do is figure out how to get to your starting point and start walking. The Camino will unfold as it always does- differently for everyone. 😉

The only remaining challenge is flight times, overland travel logistics and arriving anywhere, always, in time for lunch. This forum is not that resource and nor is there a single blog, vlog or U-bend video that is any substitute for your local high street Travel Agent or an afternoon on the internet. Buen Camino
Thank you for your input!
Travel logistics is the easy part actually :D

We all have our ways of preparing, and none are correct or better than others. Researching and watching videos has been an incredible source of inspiration for me the past three years. It got me through some long difficult times during the pandemic. And even today, when I'm departing in a little over a month, I will watch a quick video on YouTube before bed, because I love seeing the scenery. Pretty sure I'll continue watching those videos when I return as well.

I agree 💯 percent!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Welcome to the Forums!

My only advice to you is to let go of your desire to "do it right". Or, at least, let go of any worries attached to that desire. There's an Ann Lamott quote (it may not have originated with her and I've also seen it used elsewhere): "Whoever is present are the right people. Whenever it begins is the right time. Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened. And when it's over, it's over." In the same vein, however you do it, you are doing it right.

Of course, if you find yourself still worrying about doing it right, by the same token, that worry is obviously the right thing to do. :)

My only advice to you is to let go of your desire to "do it right". Or, at least, let go of any worries attached to that desire. There's an Ann Lamott quote (it may not have originated with her and I've also seen it used elsewhere): "Whoever is present are the right people. Whenever it begins is the right time. Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened. And when it's over, it's over." In the same vein, however you do it, you are doing it right
I love that.

Here's a Camino quote that I found that rings true for me.

FB_IMG_1680729576028.jpg

Picture was from early morning on the Francés after Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.

I love that.

Here's a Camino quote that I found that rings true for me.

View attachment 144287

Picture was from early morning on the Francés after Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.
I have a distinct memory of repeatedly thinking during my 2016 Camino that, no matter what I (or we) were going through - and there was certainly plenty of pain with a series of medical issues from plantar fasciitis to shot knees and other challenges - at every moment I was exactly where I wanted to be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the Forums!

My only advice to you is to let go of your desire to "do it right". Or, at least, let go of any worries attached to that desire. There's an Ann Lamott quote (it may not have originated with her and I've also seen it used elsewhere): "Whoever is present are the right people. Whenever it begins is the right time. Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened. And when it's over, it's over." In the same vein, however you do it, you are doing it right.

Of course, if you find yourself still worrying about doing it right, by the same token, that worry is obviously the right thing to do. :)
Thank you! Its not so much about doing it right but missing a feeling of internal safety that creates stress and trying to "do it right" so things will go well.
I like the quote.
Letting go is and will be a process :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Right on! At some point more advice and more information just produces more anxiety.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

You are brave! You may relax about getting everything "right". Nobody does it 100% right (can there be such a thing?). Something will turn out "wrong" or fail to meet your expectations. Consider it part of the pilgrimage experience. There will always be someone or some way to fix things that go amiss or not as expected. A week before my Frances Camino in 2022 I stopped checking in on this Forum and focused on the mechanics of getting myself to St. Jean Pied de Port. You will be OK. Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm a compulsive planner. For my Camino, I'm revelling in the luxury of just looking forward to the experience. The idea of not knowing what is ahead, stopping where and when I feel like it is very liberating. I've booked my flight and accommodation in SJPP, Borda and Roncesvalles, but after that, nothing. I have the luxury of time and I'll just enjoy seeing where the Way takes me. I've consciously avoided watching videos and reading other people's experiences. I want to experience the Camino first hand.

I've consciously avoided watching videos and reading other people's experiences. I want to experience the Camino first hand.
I didn't watch any videos before my first Camino and I had seen nothing of the Camino on TV or in cinema either. I had read one book by Laurie Dennett describing a Camino journey and I spoke with one person in my family who had already walked a Camino. I carried a guidebook in Spanish with a small typescript supplement in English. In retrospect having the landscape, the history and the culture slowly revealed in a long chain of surprises was far more powerful an experience than ticking off a list of "must sees" and "must do's" already gleaned through other peoples' blogs and vlogs or even posts on a forum like this.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

I hear you.
"And all manner of things shall be well."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Hello
Where are you starting your Camino?

You are brave! You may relax about getting everything "right". Nobody does it 100% right (can there be such a thing?). Something will turn out "wrong" or fail to meet your expectations. Consider it part of the pilgrimage experience. There will always be someone or some way to fix things that go amiss or not as expected. A week before my Frances Camino in 2022 I stopped checking in on this Forum and focused on the mechanics of getting myself to St. Jean Pied de Port. You will be OK. Buen camino!
Thank you :)

I'm a compulsive planner. For my Camino, I'm revelling in the luxury of just looking forward to the experience. The idea of not knowing what is ahead, stopping where and when I feel like it is very liberating. I've booked my flight and accommodation in SJPP, Borda and Roncesvalles, but after that, nothing. I have the luxury of time and I'll just enjoy seeing where the Way takes me. I've consciously avoided watching videos and reading other people's experiences. I want to experience the Camino first hand.
Sounds good, maybe we'll meet on the way :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I didn't watch any videos before my first Camino and I had seen nothing of the Camino on TV or in cinema either. I had read one book by Laurie Dennett describing a Camino journey and I spoke with one person in my family who had already walked a Camino. I carried a guidebook in Spanish with a small typescript supplement in English. In retrospect having the landscape, the history and the culture slowly revealed in a long chain of surprises was far more powerful an experience than ticking off a list of "must sees" and "must do's" already gleaned through other peoples' blogs and vlogs or even posts on a forum like this.
Yeah thats how I wanna do it. I read a lot about gear and albergues etc but I dont have a list of must dos and must sees (not even the wine fountain someone told me about). I am not going primarily for sights but for me. I assume that makes it easier to not fear missing out on something "important" anything is welcome :)

Buen camino
The hardest part is done - Making the decision - Once you start it gets so much easier. For me going into the unknown is the reason I do it - for you scary - you are braver than me, well done.

The hardest part is done - Making the decision - Once you start it gets so much easier. For me going into the unknown is the reason I do it - for you scary - you are braver than me, well done.
Thanks Al. You got the perfect name ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.