• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello pilgrims

Jun Meng

The Only Way I know
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Le Puy
We are going to start to walk Camino Le Puy from Le Puy to Pamplona by the end of September.

Is it too cold to walk this route?

How about the conditions of accommodations along the route?

Is the route well marked?

Thanks a lot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hiya, never walked it in September, but really doubt it will get 'too cold' then.

Accommodations in France are better generally than in Spain, and are numerous but more expensive than in Spain. A lot of pilgrims use the Miam Miam Dodo guide for an up to date accommodation list. The guide is in French but really easy to understand even if you speak no French at all.

The route is very well marked indeed.

And the route is totally stunning!

Bon Chemin!
Davey

Hiya, never walked it in September, but really doubt it will get 'too cold' then.

Accommodations in France are better generally than in Spain, and are numerous but more expensive than in Spain. A lot of pilgrims use the Miam Miam Dodo guide for an up to date accommodation list. The guide is in French but really easy to understand even if you speak no French at all.

The route is very well marked indeed.

And the route is totally stunning!

Bon Chemin!
Davey
Thanks. Then we gonna do it. Money is not the problem. I like the route with less people. I will try the guide.

Best regards
Good weekend

Jun

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are going to start to walk Camino Le Puy from Le Puy to Pamplona by the end of September.
Your walk LE Puy - SJPP will take 5-6 weeks. Be careful, as France has a mid-term school holiday for two weeks, beginning mid-October in 2019. Then, many lodgings will close for the season on All Saints/Toussaint (Nov 1). So, be sure to have tonight's lodging host (or other fellow-travelers) call ahead for reservation each night.

Your walk LE Puy - SJPP will take 5-6 weeks. Be careful, as France has a mid-term school holiday for two weeks, beginning mid-October in 2019. Then, many lodgings will close for the season on All Saints/Toussaint (Nov 1). So, be sure to have tonight's lodging host (or other fellow-travelers) call ahead for reservation each night.
Thanks for the information. It's very important.

Thanks. Then we gonna do it. Money is not the problem. I like the route with less people. I will try the guide.

Best regards
Good weekend

Jun
One more q: is it crowded route like French way or Portuguese way?

Always can find a place like albergues?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, especially at the end of September as you are planning.

The problem will not be finding a bed; rather, especially from mid-October onwards (for reasons discussed above) the problem will be finding gites that are open. Plan ahead!

It can get busy (less so after Conques) as French hikers use the route too, and the French love hiking - in groups. Best to book a day in advance at least. Look out for French holidays especially!

Albergues in France are called Gites. There are many, including Gite Communals (run by the community/town/village/pilgrim association etc). Gite Communals are cheaper usually. Most Gites have dorm accomodation (some have private rooms too). They are all listed in Miam Miam Dodo.

Davey

No, especially at the end of September as you are planning.

The problem will not be finding a bed; rather, especially from mid-October onwards (for reasons discussed above) the problem will be finding gites that are open. Plan ahead!
Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It can get busy (less so after Conques) as French hikers use the route too, and the French love hiking - in groups. Best to book a day in advance at least. Look out for French holidays especially!

Albergues in France are called Gites. There are many, including Gite Communals (run by the community/town/village/pilgrim association etc). Gite Communals are cheaper usually. Most Gites have dorm accomodation (some have private rooms too). They are all listed in Miam Miam Dodo.

Davey
Got ya. Thanks

I walked from Le Puy to Conques in late Sept, early Oct 2017. I didn't call ahead-- but when I joined up with a larger group I did. There is a forum on the Le Puy where there is a lot of information. :) -- There were a lot of hills on this route, and I walked more slowly than on the Frances. Also, even if I walked many km on one or two or three days, I'd run into a day where I could either walk 7 km, or 30 to get to a gite. Lots of tourists having their packs carried, and it was easy to end up at a place I thought was a pilgrimage place, to find myself in tourist world. -- It's a beautiful walk.

I walked from Le Puy to Conques in late Sept, early Oct 2017. I didn't call ahead-- but when I joined up with a larger group I did. There is a forum on the Le Puy where there is a lot of information. :) -- There were a lot of hills on this route, and I walked more slowly than on the Frances. Also, even if I walked many km on one or two or three days, I'd run into a day where I could either walk 7 km, or 30 to get to a gite. Lots of tourists having their packs carried, and it was easy to end up at a place I thought was a pilgrimage place, to find myself in tourist world. -- It's a beautiful walk.
I walked 5 Caminos. I'd like to keep everything with me. Thanks for your reply. 🌷🌷

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Me too. I learned so much about "my stuff" by carrying it. In short, I have too much stuff in my life, and spend too much time on it. I also like to see where the day takes me. :) I wish you a bon chemin!
Thank you so much. I enjoy walking Camino very much. It's different from any walking.
Merci 😊

Hi Jun
Just to be clear on when you’re planning to walk. What date do you plan to ‘start’ walking from Le Puy. Your message could be interpreted as finishing end of September in Pamplona.
If you’re finishing by end of September it should be very warm and pleasant.
Beautiful route - you’ll enjoy it.
Ps I enjoyed your city ‘Riga, Latvia ‘in 2016
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jun
Just to be clear on when you’re planning to walk. What date do you plan to ‘start’ walking from Le Puy. Your message could be interpreted as finishing end of September in Pamplona.
If you’re finishing by end of September it should be very warm and pleasant.
Beautiful route - you’ll enjoy it.
Ps I enjoyed your city ‘Riga, Latvia ‘in 2016
Annie
Hello Annie. I start in le Puy on 22nd September. I'm worry a bit about the cold actually.
Oh. I'm glad that you like Riga. It has a beautiful old town and low expenses. I moved to the nederlands since last year.

Thanks for your reply. Have a nice day.

Jun

I walked the Le Puy route in June 2018. It was quite busy with groups of French walkers that would bottleneck along the way. It was kind of annoying, but hey, it's their country. It thinned out after Conque and again after Cahors. We then mostly had the trail to ourselves, but still called ahead each day so the gite owners could know how many to prepare food for. On the Cele variant we hardly saw a soul...a stunning walk!

I walked the Le Puy route in June 2018. It was quite busy with groups of French walkers that would bottleneck along the way. It was kind of annoying, but hey, it's their country. It thinned out after Conque and again after Cahors. We then mostly had the trail to ourselves, but still called ahead each day so the gite owners could know how many to prepare food for. On the Cele variant we hardly saw a soul...a stunning walk!
Thanks for the information. Spring and early summer might be busy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I start in le Puy on 22nd September.
But 22 Sept start does not qualify as spring or early summer. The Le Puy is highly seasonal; while September is a very popular month, probably 75% of that is the first ten days of the month starting from Le Puy. Numbers will be down considerably by the last week of the month. On the plus side, hopefully this will dodge the late-summer heat waves experienced in that area last year.

But 22 Sept start does not qualify as spring or early summer. The Le Puy is highly seasonal; while September is a very popular month, probably 75% of that is the first ten days of the month starting from Le Puy. Numbers will be down considerably by the last week of the month. On the plus side, hopefully this will dodge the late-summer heat waves experienced in that area last year.
I understand. Just booked 2 beds in le Puy to make sure we have place to stay for 2 nights

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back