• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello, this is Tony from New York City!

anthonyjf

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino was in September/October of 2009.
I came across this website almost two months ago and I can't thank all of you enough who have contributed with your posts, I have learned so much from all of you - muchisimos gracias! My introduction to the camino was while I was a student of medieval studies which was a long time ago, now after so many years I find that my life is changing spiritually, I will retire in June of '09, and for the first time in a long time I feel a sense of freedom and anticipation of wonderful things to discover. I am planning for this journey during the months of September/October of '09 (not a day goes by without thinking of the experiences and people I will meet). I am still a novice, so from time to time I will ask of you my fellow pilgrims questions that I may have.

Be well all of you!
Tony

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tony, May I second Johnnie Walker's welcome and congratulate you on joining the Class of 2008!

If you need a boost, a suggestion or just insight into what walking the Camino holds...you've come to the right place.

Those who've already completed one Camino or more...have a bevy of information and stories to tell, but in the end it will be Your story that remains with you.

Buen Camino,

Arn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Johnny Walker and Arn!

Thank you so much for your greetings! I am still going through the various categories of posts here and I am learning alot, however, a question I do have, is there a simple direct way from New York City to SJPDP?

Thank you,
Tony

Hi Tony,
Welcome to the forum! We are neighbours - I live in CT and completed my first Camino in Aug 2007. There are other ways, but I traveled NY/Madrid. Train to Pamplona and then the bus to Roncesvalles. It is simple to get a taxi from Roncesvalles to SJPdP. I am most familiar with the Spanish routes.. others will have lots of information regarding the French ways of arriving. If your flights go in and out of Madrid it is quite simple. It is more difficult to get back to Paris from Santiago - easy to get in and out of NY/Barajas/NY. My dos centavos.
Buen Camino,

Hello Tony,
I'm from the west coast of Canada. I have flown in three different ways and can recommend two of them - Vancouver-London-Biarritz or Vancouver-Paris-Biarritz. (Obviously in your case you would start in NYC not Vancouver). In either case I have arrived at Biarritz at about 10:30pm. The are lots of inexpensive and quite pleasant two star hotels in the historic part of the city(and there are MANY hotels that cost a fortune) and there are also two really nice youth hostels. One is within easy walking distance from the train station. Until late this past spring you could catch a train in SJPP, switch trains in Bayonne and go directly to SJPP all in about 1 1/2 hours. But they stopped the Bayonne to SJPP run for awhile and I don't know if it's back yet. At any rate there are buses from Bayonne that go to SJPP several times a day. There is a trail from Biarritz to SJPP that some people walk but I have never done it. Bayonne is about a ten minute train ride from Biarritz.
So if you leave on the 8:00 train, you arrive at SJPP about 10:30 or so. You have time to purchase some supplies (dried fruit, nuts, bread and cheese, water etc) for the hike up the mountain and get your pilgrims' passport at the pilgrims' office if you don't have it. Now you have a choice. You can stay in SJPP, or hike up to one of two albergues at about 6 or 8 km up the hill or you can decide to go the whole way. Staying at one of the albergues is pleasant - it shortens your hike and provides you with a round table of people to meet. Make a reservation if you want to stay at Orisson (the last one). If you need an address I will post one or go to their website at http://www.refuge-orisson.com
Buen camino
cecelia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Deirdre (neighbor) and Cecilia!

Just got home from a busy day at school and after waiting in the long lines at the voting station, it was indeed a very pleasant surprise to receive the travel information you both sent me. I can't thank you enough for your kindness. I have already started a "Camino" folder where I am keeping all that I can find to prepare myself better for this journey. I have also ordered some books "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago - Camino Frances by John Brierley and Walking the Camino de Santiago 2nd edition by Bethan Davies & Ben Cole (really looking forward to these readings) The idea of making this journey began years ago and now I feel that I am taking my first steps.

Thank you once again for the valuable information,

Tony

Tony,

You're off to a great start...keep pressing and take in as much info as you can before you trod the Milky Way.

We're all in this together and the Camino is truly one of the high points in so many lives.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the choice of books you have made along with that of Johnie Walker are spot on.

It is better to read the guides with a little history before you go and perhaps take the Brierley and CSJ ones with you. I think it is better to read the personal accounts after you get back as thay can colour you own pilgrimage. If writer X found stage Y to be depresssing you may come to that stage with a prior expectation. It is better to keep a clean sheet and have no preconceptions.

cecelia said:
But they stopped the Bayonne to SJPP run for awhile and I don't know if it's back yet. At any rate there are buses from Bayonne that go to SJPP several times a day

I took the train from Bayonne to St. Jean last summer (early July 2007). When did they stop the Bayonne - St. Jean run? :arrow:

Many thanks William, Johnny Walker, and Sillygirl

Been away for a few days and catching up with emails and messages from this site - thank you very much for your kindness and information sent to me. In the best possible sense, I am overwhelmed by the information out there!

Be well,

Tony

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tony,
Chris from NYC writing you back--No, I haven't been to the Tourist Office of Spain yet, but I will definitely do so. Thank you for the tiop!
I am still trying to figure out the backpack and boots buying myself... last time I borrowed my brother's backpack and boots actually. I would just try different online searches (citysearch, etc) to see which places in town carry a wide range of equipment for hikers. I remember my brother's boots were pretty standard-issue, and were just fine. Other pilgrims even walked in sneakers!
Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello Chris,
Good to hear from you! Last week I received a catalog from Campmor in Mahwah, New Jersey - I have not been there yet, but the catalog really covers everything for hikers and campers, prices seem decent too - see them at campmor.com.

Take care and Buen Camino,

Tony

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back