• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello!

Nikolaus

Time of past OR future Camino
1989 Camino Francés
2019 - ? St Olav Way (Dortmund > Trondheim) in stages
2021 The Aachen Pilgrimage
I cycled the Camino Francés from Leon together with friends from school in 1989.
Some years ago, I rediscovered pilgrimage as a form of spirituality and expression of my faith after having met Christian Rutishauser, a Swiss Jesuit who walked from Switzerland to Jerusalem together with some friends as a project for Christian-Jewish-Muslim reconciliation.

Thus, I started my walk from my home near Dortmund to Trondheim, Norway (Nidaros Cathedral) spontaneously one weekend in 2019 and do this walk in sections of several days to weeks. I hope to reach Bremen this autumn.

I strongly look forward to 2021 when the next Aachen Pilgrimage will take place; I will interrupt my Trondheim project to walk from my home to Aachen in June, to arrive in time for the opening ceremonies.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Nikolaus.
Know little about those paths. What are facilities on both routes like? I mean accomodation, hostels… also, and at the risk of imposing on your kindness :), I’d like to know how busy they are in terms of people walking them.
Your projects sound great, and wish you the best. 💪

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Pinker to!

Thank you very much for your good wishes!

Trondheim/Nidaros in Norway had been one of the four important European pilgrim destinations (Rome in the South, Jerusalem in the East, Santiago in the West, Nidaros in the North) until the middle ages - then, under reformation pilgrimage was forbidden in Scandinavia. The routes have been revived and are becoming increasingly popular in Northern Europe.

When you start in Oslo and take the main route (Gudbrandsdalsleden), accomodation will not be a problem at all, often on farms or at local parish houses etc. As far as I know, even the main route is not busy at all; I've heard that they have about 10-20 daily arrivals in Trondheim, but I'm not sure. The days around Olsok (St Olav's Day on Jul 29th) may be busier.

I see that there is already a thread about the St Olav Ways here in the Forum.

The Aachen Pilgrimage takes place every seven years since the middle ages; the next one ist 2021. Aachen itself is usually crowded during these 10 days (in 2014, they had about 120.000 pilgrims, but the pandemic might change that for 2021). But since many people walk only the last miles by foot, the pilgrim paths there will not be busy at all. People usually use the Caminos via Cologne or Düsseldorf, or they use them in the opposite direction when they come from the west or south.

Welcome @Nikolaus. We've had a few members who have walked the route to Trondheim - I think @dougfitz is one.

Thank you very much for the hint, Kanga! Since I am new here, I do not yet oversee the wealth of information here... This forum seems to be a great place...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Aachen Pilgrimage takes place every seven years since the middle ages; the next one ist 2021. Aachen itself is usually crowded during these 10 days (in 2014, they had about 120.000 pilgrims, but the pandemic might change that for 2021). But since many people walk only the last miles by foot, the pilgrim paths there will not be busy at all. People usually use the Caminos via Cologne or Düsseldorf, or they use them in the opposite direction when they come from the west or south.

Thank you for this link @Nikolaus . This pilgrimage will be on my list. I already have been thinking of walking from here ( province Limburg in Belgium ) in three days to Aachen ( via Maastricht ). Excellent alternative for walking a Spanish Camino.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.