• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello

Wandering Taff

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2024
Hi everyone,

My name is Gerald and I live in Pembrokeshire, Wales. I have been thinking about doing the Camino de Santiago and having looked into it a bit more, I realise it is not just one route. I will be doing this with my wife, I was hoping next year but that is unlikely to happen. We don't know which route we will be doing (we will only have 2 weeks so that will dictate which route/section of route we will do.

The upside is we have plenty of time to decide which is going to be best for us.

She wasn't surprised that I asked her about this, since giving up smoking in 2011 I have just become a different person and started doing things way out of my comfort zone. The first thing was actually rock climbing and walking up mountains. We spent 3 years travelling all over the UK with the kids hill walking and doing "outdoorsy" stuff. It's never really left me but we did move onto other interests. The main one being dancing....Now that did give her a shock! That one was back in 2014 and as of this moment we are still dancing Lindy Hop and teach it in our little town, it's been a life changer, it really has!

Anyway, that's enough about me, I look forward to reading all of the information on these here forums, thanks to everyone who has contributed to make it a great source of information and what seems to be a wonderful community.

WT

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the introduction and good luck with your camino choice and planning.

The first question for a first-timer when considering routes is: Camino Francés or not? The Francés is the most popular route with the most facilities and is therefore a good choice for a first camino. But if you prefer a bit more solitude, then another route might be for you.

A related question, given that you have two weeks, is whether you want to walk a ‘complete’ camino or part of a longer camino. The full Francés takes about five weeks so you would have to choose a section of it. Or if you would like to walk a ‘complete’ camino, the two most obvious choices that can be walked in two weeks are the Portuguese from Porto (central or coastal) or the Primitivo from Oviedo. Both of these have enough facilities and other pilgrims as to not be daunting for a first-timer, although the Primitivo is quite mountainous and therefore more difficult physically.

Buen camino!

Thanks for the introduction and good luck with your camino choice and planning.

The first question for a first-timer when considering routes is: Camino Francés or not? The Francés is the most popular route with the most facilities and is therefore a good choice for a first camino. But if you prefer a bit more solitude, then another route might be for you.

A related question, given that you have two weeks, is whether you want to walk a ‘complete’ camino or part of a longer camino. The full Francés takes about five weeks so you would have to choose a section of it. Or if you would like to walk a ‘complete’ camino, the two most obvious choices that can be walked in two weeks are the Portuguese from Porto (central or coastal) or the Primitivo from Oviedo. Both of these have enough facilities and other pilgrims as to not be daunting for a first-timer, although the Primitivo is quite mountainous and therefore more difficult physically.

Buen camino!
Thank you for your reply.

Ideally we would like to do a complete camino so will look into the 2 you have mentioned. We're not doing it for quite a while so things may well change. I am desperate to do it next spring but we just can't manage it with other commitments. I'm gonna stick around here and soak up the information in the mean time, as well with carrying on with our Spanish lessons. We have taken to Spain in the last 5 years and keep finding ourselves being drawn back.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

WT

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Other considerations for your choice of route would be how much you want to be immersed in the company of other pilgrims, and what type of accommodation you want - i.e. bunk beds in a dormitory with others, or private rooms. Some routes have limited lodgings of either type, and may require longer stages.

The Francés always has the most flexibility, but it can be rather crowded at times. However, if you choose the month carefully, for the exact section of the route you want, you can get the best of all worlds.

In any case, getting outside to walk as much as you can is the best preparation you can do - no matter when or even if you get to the Camino in Spain.

Hello Gerald!
I know you live in the other side of Wales, but beginning of this year I did the North Wales Pilgrims Way from Basingwerk Abbey/Holywell to Aberdaron/Bardsey Island/Ynys Enlli. I did it in sections as weekend hikes and when I could take time off I would do a stretch of 3-4 day walk. It’s rich in pilgrims history, from Early Middle Age’s saints, to Reformation and subsequent effects on Christianity in Britain. I used it as “introduction” and/or training for Camino in Spain, and really really enjoyed the experience! Have a look at their websites for route info… if doing in sections, you could drive to the end point then take public transport to the start point (or you and your wife/kids come in 2 cars), finish off with a good pub lunch. I discovered so many great pubs and local breweries too!

As for which Camino in Spain… well now you have the whole of winter to watch lots of YouTube videos and read this forum for comments 🤪 it’s good fun.

Efren Gonzalez makes high quality videos of many of his caminos.

Several of our forum members also write really good blogs, publish podcasts, videos etc too… check out @jungleboy @Elle Bieling @NadineK (there are many others too).

Also, you can get in touch with your local Confraternity of St James, they have one that covers Wales and I think they’re based in Cardiff, if I’m not wrong.

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Other considerations for your choice of route would be how much you want to be immersed in the company of other pilgrims, and what type of accommodation you want - i.e. bunk beds in a dormitory with others, or private rooms. Some routes have limited lodgings of either type, and may require longer stages.

The Francés always has the most flexibility, but it can be rather crowded at times. However, if you choose the month carefully, for the exact section of the route you want, you can get the best of all worlds.

In any case, getting outside to walk as much as you can is the best preparation you can do - no matter when or even if you get to the Camino in Spain.
Thank you for the welcome and reply. We are hopefully going to go for private rooms but we know that this may not always be possible, so we are prepared for that. We have lots of time to prepare both physically and planning wise. This forum is already proving to be a real gem!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Gerald!
I know you live in the other side of Wales, but beginning of this year I did the North Wales Pilgrims Way from Basingwerk Abbey/Holywell to Aberdaron/Bardsey Island/Ynys Enlli. I did it in sections as weekend hikes and when I could take time off I would do a stretch of 3-4 day walk. It’s rich in pilgrims history, from Early Middle Age’s saints, to Reformation and subsequent effects on Christianity in Britain. I used it as “introduction” and/or training for Camino in Spain, and really really enjoyed the experience! Have a look at their websites for route info… if doing in sections, you could drive to the end point then take public transport to the start point (or you and your wife/kids come in 2 cars), finish off with a good pub lunch. I discovered so many great pubs and local breweries too!

As for which Camino in Spain… well now you have the whole of winter to watch lots of YouTube videos and read this forum for comments 🤪 it’s good fun.

Several of our forum members also write really good blogs, publish podcasts, videos etc too… check out @jungleboy @Elle Bieling @NadineK (there are many others too).

Also, you can get in touch with your local Confraternity of St James, they have one that covers Wales and I think they’re based in Cardiff, if I’m not wrong.

Thanks for the welcome!

Wow, a lot of information there, thanks for taking the time to point me in the direction needed :)

I've not done the North Wales Pilgrim way, but have done a bit of walking/hill walking/a little rock climbing in North Wales. It's such a beautiful place and at one point we considered moving there! I will look a little more in the the wallk, thanks for the nudge. We are used to either doing the double car thing or leaving the car at the end point and catching a bus to the start, it's all part of the fun :)

I'll also look into the Confraternity of St James, I didn't realise such a thing existed!!

Thanks again for all the info.

WT

Hi Wandering Taff!
The forum will drag you further than you imagine; in your desire to walk! (it's an itch that needs scratching that won't go away)

I joined for information and you will get that in spades.
But i became hooked on all that it is, even before I walked.
Breakfast includes a visit to the forum to see if I've missed anything. (is that sad?)

The best bit is hearing the ups the downs and the joy of others as they walk and let you join their journey!
But in turn those good bits will drive you increasingly nuts as you wait for yours !!!!:)

I walked the Portuguese Coastal last year as a newbie and loved it.(fits your timescale)
Portugal and it's people were so generous and friendly and Porto is a place i will visit again so much to see and do.
Good infrastructure and pretty much easy walking by the sea to begin and check out the Variant Espiritual from Pontevedra while you search it is beautiful!
All the best have a wonderful wandering walk!
Buen Camino
Woody
I

Hello Gerald!

Thank you for this information!
I've walked the canals in Wales but had no idea there was a pilgrim path.
What type of lodging was available?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for this information!
I've walked the canals in Wales but had no idea there was a pilgrim path.
What type of lodging was available?
It’ll be B&Bs/hostels… I did it in sections and in the beginning would go home as I live on the Wirral peninsula. As we ventured further west, I would stay at some places along the way. The last 3-4 days of walking joined the Wales Coastal Path and it was incredibly beautiful, had great weather too! So for this one I stayed in a static caravan and the site owner put me in touch with local taxi to take me back to the route etc. But in the summer there’s a local bus service up and down the coastal path.

Tell us the truth! What do you do for the rest of your meals? And snacks too.
Ha! ha! well it's 7.30 am and here i am!
The answer is i check in then as well !!!
I do lots of other activities like sleeping, yawning, sitting down for long periods, drinking tea and eating chocolate,
It's a very full active life🤣 honestly!
Woody

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.