• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Help— Estella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I’m very ill. So ill that I’m asking for help. I wonder if anyone could send me the name / # of a clinic or hospital.

I feel better, then I’m afraid. Fever, sore throat, malaise. Virus.

Father Jeffrey knows my email and so does @JillGat

@rappahannock_rev

I’m in a very comfortable space, Hostal Volare??? I just want to be ready. The male staff guy here has informed me it’s in my head. Not such a nice guy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's not great feeling ill and vulnerable on the Camino. here's the details Centro de Salud de Estella Paseo de la Inmaculada, 39, 31200 Estella, Navarra, Spain =34 948 55 63 50

It's not great feeling ill and vulnerable on the Camino. here's the details Centro de Salud de Estella Paseo de la Inmaculada, 39, 31200 Estella, Navarra, Spain =34 948 55 63 50
Ps- have you got medical insurance? If so, their helpline might be the best place to start, they should be able to help with locating assistance and language help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds like a viral attack, glad to hear you are off to the docs, take care and hope you recover fast, plenty of sleep and care until then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, my Deb, I'm so sorry. It seems like that part of the Camino has it out for you.
The kind of vulnerability that illness away from home brings...grf...really not easy.

@SabineP and @onwayhome posted the links, so you have them if needed.
Sleep as much as you can. Hydrate. Take whatever you need to take to keep the fever down. And know we're thinking of you.
Abrazos! May you recover very soon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m very ill. So ill that I’m asking for help. I wonder if anyone could send me the name / # of a clinic or hospital.

@rappahannock_rev

I’m in a very comfortable space, Hostal Volare??? I just want to be ready. The male staff guy here has informed me it’s in my head. Not such a nice guy.

Sorry, sorry, sorry to hear this bad news, Deb! :( I so wanted you to have a good Camino. this time around.

If there's no one else on-the-scene-in-Estella whom you can approach comfortably, then I suggest this: go to either the Church of San Juan Bautista, or perhaps even better to the Church of San Miguel -- and speak to one of the clergy. That's absolutely what I would do in a crisis, even if I didn't wear a collar. The priests will have encountered many others similarly situated and, in imitation of Our Lord, they will go out of the way to render aid and advice. I have absolutely no doubt about that. They will also have the clout to make sure that you get in to see whomever you might need to see, in an emergency.....

You know that you have my prayers and best wishes. Let me know asap by private email if you need material assistance, or a reference, or anything else that I can provide.

May He make His face to shine upon you.

Last edited:
Hang in there, Deb, and get well quickly... I'm hopeful this is something you can overcome and get back on the Camino in short order.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So sorry to hear you're coming down with something miserable! Something in the sinus family maybe? Ibuprofen will maybe help hold you together long enough to get to Dr.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
1:03am and I’m hacking (coughing) like crazy but feel cooler.

I helped a lovely Danish woman to get a room here yesterday, I really love her but sure hope I’m not keeping her awake.

I had such a hard night// was ready to call 112. All packed and ready,

Okay, back to rest. I need to wash up and then will sleep more.

Thank you all ❤️

@rappahannock_rev

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Things will get better soon. :)

@rappahannock_rev

I reached out to a friend in Coruna who’s dad is a doctor.
Hopefully you will get good advice before I hear back from him.
But I will stay up a few more hours and I’ll check back as soon as I hear something

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So sorry to hear you are not well. I got a really bad flu on the bus coming from Pamplona to St Jean this spring. By Roncesvalles I was a mess. Holed up at Espinal for a few days. Then walked on slowly. And that bloody flu just kept coming back. Every time I though it was gone I would get back to 20 km days and it would come back and knock me off my feet for a few more days. What I really wish I had done was to stop in Espinal and rent one of the holiday apartments there for 5 days or a week and just concentrated on getting well so that I could enjoy the rest of the camino. If you have the time it really is worth finding somewhere comfortable where you can look after yourself and get some good bed rest for several consecutive days. Thinking of you.

Really sorry to hear you're sick, @CaminoDebrita - sending you loads of get-well-quick vibes from Burgos. As others have said - rest and lots and lots of fluids, and the local medics if you need them. A couple of extra days once you think you're feeling better would be good too - just to really shake off the bugs. Good luck!!

I finally slept a bit last night and my cough is a bit less tight. I so appreciate all the help.

I think the advised to stay in a comfortable place for another day is good, so I will.

Okay, into the shower. I’m a hot mess.

I finally slept a bit last night and my cough is a bit less tight. I so appreciate all the help.

I think the advised to stay in a comfortable place for another day is good, so I will.

Okay, into the shower. I’m a hot mess.
Hi Debrita,
Glad you feel a little better
However......the hacking cough,the tight chest,the sweating,the high temperature!
Yes it might be a viral episode...
Then again it could be a chest infection

You really need to have your chest examined by a doctor in order to make a correct diagnosis
You might even need antibiotics if indeed it is a chest infection which can be very debilitating
With every best wish for your recovery and ongoing Camino
Annette

Last night I was lying in bed running a fever and feeling miserable, I read somebody’s post on those people who use transportation.

I think that the root of the issue was that those people were taking his room. Honestly, though, for the first time ever, I actually think I might have to use transportation. I’m just not entirely sure I will be able to walk to Monjardin. I’m not currently completely ruling it out, The last few days have been really rough.

I did walk from my pension to the cathedral in town ( Estella). At the fancy hotel right next to it, I saw several people my age checking in. They have lots and lots of luggage! I’ve never done it that way. Honestly though, after the last few days, I have made the decision that I will not be traveling alone anymore.

If I can’t persuade my husband to come along, I’ll do something different. My very cool Danish ground, we spent last night here as well, left me with some bread and a little bit of chocolate. Along with the walk, I got three big bottles of fluids. My enthusiasm is pretty flat though!

Thank you, everybody, for your huge support. See what tomorrow brings.

Last night I was lying in bed running a fever and feeling miserable, I read somebody’s post on those people who use transportation.

I think that the root of the issue was that those people were taking his room. Honestly, though, for the first time ever, I actually think I might have to use transportation. I’m just not entirely sure I will be able to walk to Monjardin. I’m not currently completely ruling it out, The last few days have been really rough.

I did walk from my pension to the cathedral in town ( Estella). At the fancy hotel right next to it, I saw several people my age checking in. They have lots and lots of luggage! I’ve never done it that way. Honestly though, after the last few days, I have made the decision that I will not be traveling alone anymore.

If I can’t persuade my husband to come along, I’ll do something different. My very cool Danish ground, we spent last night here as well, left me with some bread and a little bit of chocolate. Along with the walk, I got three big bottles of fluids. My enthusiasm is pretty flat though!

Of course your enthusiasm is waning when you're ill and far from home, but don't let present gloom determine future plans. Today has brought you gifts of food and friendship; who knows what goods will greet you tomorrow? Take the sensible advice offered by others, all the time you need to recover, and all the transport you need to continue: there's no shame in acceptance of your condition. Very best wishes for your recovery and the return of your Camino zest!

"I have made the decision that I will not be traveling alone anymore."

Fair enough. I'm not sure I will either! Finally tried it this past Spring, walking the Finisterre. That was enough. Left to myself I found that I walked too much alone, as I knew that I would.

I don't walk the Camino to "find myself", and feel no need to walk alone.... And its comforting to know that, if I don't show up at the day's agreed-upon destination, a walking companion will notice -- that if I encounter a problem someone familiar will be there to help me get through it.... In 2015 I fell crossing a busy street in Virgen del Camino and badly broke my right hand. Thank God that I had a walking companion who rode with me in the ambulance to the hospital in Leon, and stayed right there with me until everything was stitched up and bandaged.... Would have been infinitely more difficult/upsetting had I been alone....

BTW: the care I received was absolutely world class!

Last edited:
"I have made the decision that I will not be traveling alone anymore."

Fair enough. I'm not sure I will either! Finally tried it this past Spring, walking the Finisterre. That was enough. Left to myself I found that I walked too much alone, as I knew that I would.

I don't walk the Camino to "find myself", and feel no need to walk alone.... And its comforting to know that, if I don't show up at the day's agreed-upon destination, a walking companion will notice -- that if I encounter a problem someone familiar will be there to help me get through it.... In 2015 I fell crossing a busy street in Virgen del Camino and badly broke my right hand. Thank God that I had a walking companion who rode with me in the ambulance to the hospital in Leon, and stayed right there with me until everything was stitched up and bandaged.... Would have been infinitely more difficult/upsetting had I been alone....

BTW: the care I received was absolutely world class!

Yes! Easier with a simpatico friend!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have just seen this thread. So sorry to hear that you have been stricken Deb. But glad you are on the mend a little. Flu can be a very nasty and dangerous business. It's come early worldwide this year. Take it easy peregrina.

Last night I was lying in bed running Honestly though, after the last few days, I have made the decision that I will not be traveling alone anymore.
Glad to hear that you are not only back in the way, but also contemplating your next trip. You may be a bit low and slow now Deb but you are unstoppable! If you can't get your old man to join you next time you can tag along with us on the Vdlp next year, and I am sure many others would be pleased to have you join them. Meanwhile, one foot after another, have fun on completing this Camino.

I’m back on my feet! Yes, I am low and slow, but I have already met about four people from the forum, and they gave me a lot of nice greetings and smiles!

Friends, thanks!

Estella to Montjardin, and it took about five hours! Wow. It was a slow trudge, but here I am. I got the single room so I don’t keep people awake coughing! I am SO glad to rest now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thrilled to see your back on your feet and walking.
I have found a new admiration for those of you who travel to Spain and walk alone so far from home.
Possibly that’s the mark of a real pilgrim.
I can sympathize with your plight. 3 years ago a friend from Spain came for a weeks visit. He spent 6 days in bed with the flu.
Earlier this month another friend of mine stayed with us 10 days.
The last four days he suffered with a toothache. I think I felt worse than they did

Thrilled to see your back on your feet and walking.
I have found a new admiration for those of you who travel to Spain and walk alone so far from home.
Possibly that’s the mark of a real pilgrim.
I can sympathize with your plight. 3 years ago a friend from Spain came for a weeks visit. He spent 6 days in bed with the flu.
Earlier this month another friend of mine stayed with us 10 days.
The last four days he suffered with a toothache. I think I felt worse than they did

Thanks!! 11 Miles today. Better and better! Thanks to God and friends, and I sure appreciate all of you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola CaminoDebrita,
So glad you are feeling better. My name is Don and Carolynn from St Louis said she saw you around Villamayor de Monjardin. I am currently in Viana at the Andres Munoz albergue at the far end of town. A bunch of pilgrims are meeting in town for dinner at 7pm. You could email me at [email hidden by moderator - please send personal emails in private messages]. I have been reading your posts for months, and now I believe we are in the same town in Spain. Amazing!! I am from San Diego. I hope to meet up soon.
Ciao,
Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Deb, if you walked 11 miles then you walked 17.70 km....you walked much farther than you thought!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola CaminoDebrita,
So glad you are feeling better. My name is Don and Carolynn from St Louis said she saw you around Villamayor de Monjardin. I am currently in Viana at the Andres Munoz albergue at the far end of town. A bunch of pilgrims are meeting in town for dinner at 7pm. You could email me at dbgimmy@yahoo.com. I have been reading your posts for months, and now I believe we are in the same town in Spain. Amazing!! I am from San Diego. I hope to meet up soon.
Ciao,
Don

Don! I’m nearby— in San Sol. I walked to Torres del Rio and back in search of a solo room, as I don’t want to bother others with coughing.

I am much better, and the Albergue owner here is wonderful. He gave me a generous shot of Pacheron, which I am supplementing with lemon, honey, rum. My Albergue mates have earplugs which they will need. Tomorrow—Logrono!

I hope to meet you soon, and I’m chuckling at what I’ve written in the last year! I seem to have an uncanny ability to write about nothing much! What an amazing day, right? The weather!

Cheers—Deb

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Deb,
I hope to meet you soon. I think I already know you. I will go to Ventosa tomorrow.
Don

Nice guy feeding banana to wife?

One of four nice USA folks??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Half of Australia is not walking the Camino
Good God

It’s certainly a bit easier when one is in one’s own bed, right? Did not mean to upset anyone while I was sick!

Wow, I am hearing a lot of coughing today. I stayed at beautiful and VERY accommodating Albergue Sansol last night, and the diminutive owner— a gracious man who wears a baseball cap and absolutely loves music— helped me choose a good bunk near a good window. Then, he gave me a good shot of Pacheron! After I went to bed, people came,
Including one young woman with the same residual cough.

Something is certainly being spread around! Last night was my first Albuquerque night for quite a while! I have bad lungs, and asthma kicked in. I was really afraid I wasn’t going to be able to ultreiga, but am now so glad! Sure hope this nasty thing can’t come back again though.

It’s certainly a bit easier when one is in one’s own bed, right? Did not mean to upset anyone while I was sick!

Wow, I am hearing a lot of coughing today. I stayed at beautiful and VERY accommodating Albergue Sansol last night, and the diminutive owner— a gracious man who wears a baseball cap and absolutely loves music— helped me choose a good bunk near a good window. Then, he gave me a good shot of Pacheron! After I went to bed, people came,
Including one young woman with the same residual cough.

Something is certainly being spread around! Last night was my first Albuquerque night for quite a while! I have bad lungs, and asthma kicked in. I was really afraid I wasn’t going to be able to ultreiga, but am now so glad! Sure hope this nasty thing can’t come back again though.
One of the reasons staying in Alburgues worries me. Much to easy to pass germs around. That and the fact my wife tells me I snore a few times a week lol
Back in service school when I was in the Navy out in California I came back late 2 hours from Tijuana.
A week of restricted duty bunking with 60 other guys was my punishment. 50 of the guys came down with the crabs.
Just pure luck I wasn’t one of them lol

Whinge away, Deb. That’s what we’re here for. :):):)
I remember having similar problems in spring this year. I got that flu and there were several places where I struggled to find a private room for my germs. Even though I walked around to the hostals and pensions, etc. asking as I went, there was often no room at any inn. In one town I was so desperate I took a single room in a casa rural and paid the 60€ asking price for it! It would have been cheaper if there had been a Parador in town! And despite my best efforts that camino cough was in every albergue and in almost every cafe and bar, staff and pilgrims. I may not have the only one who had the flu! :p:p:p You probably aren’t the only one either. Good luck with finding comfortable accommodations and enjoy walking in all that sunshine and fresh air.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

@rappahannock_rev

During my Camino had a bad flu – went to the pharmacy asked for medication by using sign language – the pharmacist gave me a “red” box – cost about 12 euros - sorted me out overnight

So glad you're back on your feet and headed West again, Deb.
And...I'm another who says please feel free to share here - whatever it is. That is what we're here for! (And...Stoicism isn't a requirement for walking as a pilgrim, but kindness is. And you do that very well. If other people have different ways of being, that's their karma.)
You go, girl! But gently.
Buen Camino!
(Oh, and glitterati with suitcases? What a perfect image. Thanks Deb. :D)

I too fell ill on a Camino.
Am normally a very rational person and don't tend to panic quickly but on a Camino : being tired , feeling a bit lost and a general malaise all things can add up .

@CaminoDebrita : good to read you are feeling better. Un abrazo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm debating with myself whether now is a good moment to point out that there is actually no cathedral in Estella, neither next to a hotel where people with suitcases check in (amazing feat) nor anywhere else in Estella but will instead go and find my GP's phone number to get an appointment for an early flu shot for this winter season. People, it was just a casual observation, give it a rest and enjoy your Sundays, wherever you are. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back