A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Help about passport stamps and Compostela

Camino(s) past & future
2017 2018
I have walked the camino francais in sections these last few years and hope to do the last section,O Cebrieo to Santiago d.c. possibly this autumn or next spring. Will I qualify for the compostela? I think I will but just checking. Also,my Brierley guide book mentions that you need 2 passport stamps from Sarria on. Would this condition apply to me too?

Camino(s) past & future
2012 SJPP-Burgos, 2014 Burgos-Leon, 2018 Leon-Santiago
Thank you ,what do I do if I dont have enough room on my passport for the two stamps per day?
Hi roamingpaddy,
You can get another credencial and submit both when you arrive for your Compostela, or you can add paper to your existing credencial.
Just make sure that during the last 100k you get two a day, as noted above.
Buen Camino.

All the best,
Paul

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
Hi roamingpaddy,
You can get another credencial and submit both when you arrive for your Compostela, or you can add paper to your existing credencial.
Just make sure that during the last 100k you get two a day, as noted above.
Buen Camino.

All the best,
Paul
And present both/all credentials to the clerk in the Pilgrim's Office - I saw as many as four neatly stapled together.

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
And present both/all credentials to the clerk in the Pilgrim's Office - I saw as many as four neatly stapled together.
Presenting all your credentials, showing a continuous line of walking, will qualify you for a distance certificate. As noted above, the final two stamps per day from Sarria are what qualify you for the Compostela. No charge for the Compostela, small fee for the distance certificate.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
Presenting all your credentials, showing a continuous line of walking, will qualify you for a distance certificate. As noted above, the final two stamps per day from Sarria are what qualify you for the Compostela. No charge for the Compostela, small fee for the distance certificate.
I know, I've worked in the office :)

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Frances (2018}
I have walked the camino francais in sections these last few years and hope to do the last section,O Cebrieo to Santiago d.c. possibly this autumn or next spring. Will I qualify for the compostela? I think I will but just checking. Also,my Brierley guide book mentions that you need 2 passport stamps from Sarria on. Would this condition apply to me too?
The rule is 2 stamps per day in last 100k. Dont know how strict they are these days but on my first camino from Pamplona (2013) I did not have two per day and no one made any comment about it, just gave me my compostela. Same in 2015 but in 2016 I did have lots of stamps. Seems a bit of a silly rule as it is easy to beat. I met a couple who walked to the first place they could get a stamp then where possible they got a taxi to their destination for the day. They were only walking half the distance.

The rule is 2 stamps per day in last 100k. Dont know how strict they are these days but on my first camino from Pamplona (2013) I did not have two per day and no one made any comment about it, just gave me my compostela. Same in 2015 but in 2016 I did have lots of stamps. Seems a bit of a silly rule as it is easy to beat. I met a couple who walked to the first place they could get a stamp then where possible they got a taxi to their destination for the day. They were only walking half the distance.
They are very strict.Make sure to get 2 stamps per day for the last 100 Kms by foot and 200 Kms by cycle.

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
Thank you all for your helpful replies. Would i get a continues cert for in my case walking the camino in 4 stages in the last 4 years?
If you have walked a continuous line in multiple stints, the office will issue a distance certificate for the whole.

At each place where you pause and re-start, I'm told that you should get the credential stamped and dated on arrival and stamped and dated again when you restart. Therefore, if you reached O Cebrieo last year you probably have an O Cebrieo stamp wth last year's date. When you set off anew from there, you should get another O Cebrieo stamp with the date that you restart. Don't sweat if you haven't been following this practice so far. As far as the distance certificate is concerned, I believe the pilgrim's office is likely to give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you have walked a continuous line in multiple stints, the office will issue a distance certificate for the whole.

At each place where you pause and re-start, I'm told that you should get the credential stamped and dated on arrival and stamped and dated again when you restart. Therefore, if you reached O Cebrieo last year you probably have an O Cebrieo stamp wth last year's date. When you set off anew from there, you should get another O Cebrieo stamp with the date that you restart. Don't sweat if you haven't been following this practice so far. As far as the distance certificate is concerned, I believe the pilgrim's office is likely to give you the benefit of the doubt.
It' s only the last 100 Kms that count for the Compostela.It doesn't matter how many Kms you have walked before that they don't count as far as the Pilgrim Office is concerned.

Camino(s) past & future
2012 SJPP-Burgos, 2014 Burgos-Leon, 2018 Leon-Santiago
Hi roamingpaddy,
Your Compostela will not say how far you came in total, but you can buy a certificate of distance for a few euros at the Pilgrim’s Office so long as you produced evidence in the form of a stamped credencial.
My first Camino I finished the Frances in stages over six years and had no issues with getting a Compostela nor a certificate of distance traveled for that Camino, once I arrived at Santiago.
I hope. this helps answer your question.

All the best,
Paul

Camino(s) past & future
2017 2018
Hi roamingpaddy,
Your Compostela will not say how far you came in total, but you can buy a certificate of distance for a few euros at the Pilgrim’s Office so long as you produced evidence in the form of a stamped credencial.
My first Camino I finished the Frances in stages over six years and had no issues with getting a Compostela nor a certificate of distance traveled for that Camino, once I arrived at Santiago.
I hope. this helps answer your question.

All the best,
Paul
Thank you for your clarification,much appreciated.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I worked in the Pilgrim Office and this gentleman was collecting stamps on his shirt as well as in his credential.

View attachment 77495
Although, since the shirt stamps don't seem to be dated, I don't know if they would count towards the Compostela. Probably best to stick to extra pages or another credencial if yours runs out of room. :)

ELHS220

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2015, 2017
Norte (Oviedo Costa) - 2018
Finisterre/Muxía - 2018
Norte - (2019)
Although, since the shirt stamps don't seem to be dated, I don't know if they would count towards the Compostela. Probably best to stick to extra pages or another credencial if yours runs out of room. :)
In looking more closely at those stamps, they don’t even appear to be anything more than random designs and not official stamps of any kind. But I know he was given the completion stamp on the shirt. It has always amused me that there is so much discussion on getting two stamps a day for the last 100kms. I am a stamp-a-holic and have filled multiple credentials each time, so getting ONLY two on any given day would have qualified as a MAJOR BUMMER.

And when I was in Santiago for two weeks as a volunteer, I filled an entire credential with stamps from around the city.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Vol Pilgm office 15
CF 16+17
Vol Pilgm House 18
Kerry&Ingles 19
Portuguese X2020 (2021?)
What a fun idea! I had not thought to collect sellos from around Santiago while I was volunteering there. I'll do that next May, hopefully, while volunteering at the Pilgrim House. I'm a National Park Stamper also. Those stamps are more of a challenge to collect.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
The first time I came across the practice of collecting stamps as evidence of travel was on Dartmoor in the 1970s, a practice known as ‘letterboxing’. A quick google suggests that this has been ongoing since 1854 and, whilst it is most similar to the relatively modern pastime of ‘geocaching’ is along the same lines as stamping a credential.

I know I could google this, but it’s more interesting to have the conversation on here - when did the credential take its current form as evidence of travel justifying a compostella?

I assume that if you turned up in SdC in the Middle Ages with a Yorkshire accent it would be presumed that you had put the requisite effort in without the need to have your paperwork inspected ...

Camino(s) past & future
CF Spring 2016
CF Autumn 2017
VdlP Spring 2021
It has always amused me that there is so much discussion on getting two stamps a day for the last 100kms. I am a stamp-a-holic and have filled multiple credentials each time, so getting ONLY two on any given day would have qualified as a MAJOR BUMMER.
I, too, am a bit of a stamp-a-holic. On my first Camino Frances, I filled two credentials. When I presented them at the pilgrim's office, the lady said to me, "it appears you like the stamps." Yes, I love the stamps, as has been said by many on this forum, the stamps are a memory of where I stayed, where I had a meal, where I prayed, etc. On my second Camino Frances, I filled three credentials, averaging 4 per day and 6 per day after Sarria. I do love the stamps.

Buen Camino!
--james--

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
The first time I came across the practice of collecting stamps as evidence of travel was on Dartmoor in the 1970s, a practice known as ‘letterboxing’. A quick google suggests that this has been ongoing since 1854 and, whilst it is most similar to the relatively modern pastime of ‘geocaching’ is along the same lines as stamping a credential.

I know I could google this, but it’s more interesting to have the conversation on here - when did the credential take its current form as evidence of travel justifying a compostella?

I assume that if you turned up in SdC in the Middle Ages with a Yorkshire accent it would be presumed that you had put the requisite effort in without the need to have your paperwork inspected ...
The requirement to walk (or ride a horse or a bicycle) is relatively recent in the history of the Camino. In the Middle Ages the presumed spiritual benefit was from the proximity to the relics of the saint, not from how one made the voyage to them. Much as today in Lourdes or Fatima it is the destination not the voyage that counts.

Which isn't to say that in the Middle Ages there weren't people that took extra vows or placed extra rigour on the task (fasting from meat on the way, walking barefoot, etc.) But those vows were between the pilgrim and God, not between the pilgrim and cathedral authorities in Santiago de Compostela.

Credencials are descendants of "letters of safe passage" given to pilgrims in the Middle Ages, much as modern passports are descendants of similar letters of safe passage (read what's in your passport sometime).

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock