• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Albergue Santa Cruz in Sahagun

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh, my. I'm so sorry to hear about the plumbing issues! I hobbled into the albergue with sciatica this past spring. I was welcomed warmly and cared for so well. They gave me, without my having to ask, a first floor private room and charged me 5 Euros. They guided me to a nearby restaurant, which ironically was on fire when I got there. The whole experience there was beyond anything I could have expected.

And as a Benedictine Oblate, I'm so happy to donate what I can. Rebekah, please do keep us posted on your progress in this fundaising project!

Oh, my. I'm so sorry to hear about the plumbing issues! I hobbled into the albergue with sciatica this past spring. I was welcomed warmly and cared for so well. They gave me, without my having to ask, a first floor private room and charged me 5 Euros. They guided me to a nearby restaurant, which ironically was on fire when I got there. The whole experience there was beyond anything I could have expected.

And as a Benedictine Oblate, I'm so happy to donate what I can. Rebekah, please do keep us posted on your progress in this fundaising project!
Priscilla, that was a bit of an 'interesting' Sunday afternoon... I had just recommended the bar to you to eat when I saw it on fire and thought of you. You'll be glad to hear that the guy who was thrown out of the kitchen by the explosión wasnt badly hurt, and was able to laugh it off. I think Sahagún is getting a fire truck of its own and wont have to wait for ones to come from León and Palencia for almost an hour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This albergue is really special! I have very, very fond memories of staying here this past summer. I think a lot of people bypass Sahagun (just stop to get their half way certificate and move on), but in my opinion Santa Cruz is a reason to spend the night. I had to visit the urgent care in Sahagun for an issue with my foot and I was feeling very depressed. The group meeting and communal pot luck style dinner (my daughter went to to a well stocked grocery store for ice for my foot and our contribution to the meal) was really wonderful and brought my spirits up. Not to mention that the albergue is beautiful, super clean and incredibly inexpensive. I am not in a position right now to donate much, but I will donate something and I hope others will do the same. Thank you for posting this need!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks all you guys! Tom, this is Albergue de Santa Cruz, a Benedictine place. There aren't any Poor Clares or Santa Claras in Sahagun, but no matter... WE MADE THE $10,000 GOAL!! We still need to collect a bit more cash to make it to 10,000 EURO, and that is trickling in now.
And this morning Father Daniel let me know the building plans submitted to the Junta de Castilla y Leon were approved... they have the green light to start working!

THANKS YOU GUYS! Once again, you've proved the Anglophone pilgrim community is generous beyond all reason.

Thanks all you guys! Tom, this is Albergue de Santa Cruz, a Benedictine place. There aren't any Poor Clares or Santa Claras in Sahagun, but no matter... WE MADE THE $10,000 GOAL!! We still need to collect a bit more cash to make it to 10,000 EURO, and that is trickling in now.
And this morning Father Daniel let me know the building plans submitted to the Junta de Castilla y Leon were approved... they have the green light to start working!

THANKS YOU GUYS! Once again, you've proved the Anglophone pilgrim community is generous beyond all reason.

Thank you Rebekah for the updates and your tireless efforts to spearhead/coordinate and get stuff done via Peaceable Projects!

Rebekah, you are the one who deserves the thanks. You have given us the opportunity to spend in support of such a worthy project that we never would have heard about without you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This reminds me of the New Testament advice to "...ask and you shall receive, knock and it shall be opened...seek and you shall find..."

Okay, so I am paraphrasing... But y'all get the idea...:)

I think of it as a old fashioned barn raising... all the neighbors gather and assemble a barn from scratch. It is still done regularly among the Amish and Mennonite communities here in the US. It is a wonderment to see happen. At the crack of dawn, there is an open field. By sundown there is a functioning barn awaiting its first coat of red paint.

Here in the US, we will be celebrating our semi-secular national holiday of Thanksgiving in a few weeks. The historic antecedents of this holiday notwithstanding, I am thankful this year for all of you Camino nuts out there...

Personally, I am proud of all of each one of you. Thank you again for your generosity.

Keep on paying it forward...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Any forward motion, two plus months on?
I wrote to the Santa Cruz community and this is the reply I got:
"Hello Doug

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, the plumbers are still working in the albergue (in slow motion, I think). We calculate that we will not reopen before Holy week because after a major work like this we are obliged to do a cleaning treatment and tests. Anyway, we hope to be back on business in mid-April, although the problem with Coronavirus might reduce the number of pilgrims until May.

Hope that everything is going well for you. Kind regards from the community"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah... the plumbers of Sahagun are a sorry lot. But work goes on. Spain is no country for people in a hurry.
Thanks, too, the the Canadian Company of Pilgrims and the Camino Society of Ireland for continuing support. If the entire monastic complex were renewed, it would cost 70,000!!

I didn't notice the date, and that you had succeded already! Happy for my contribution to go to another Peaceable project.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wrote to the Santa Cruz community and this is the reply I got:
"Hello Doug

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, the plumbers are still working in the albergue (in slow motion, I think). We calculate that we will not reopen before Holy week because after a major work like this we are obliged to do a cleaning treatment and tests. Anyway, we hope to be back on business in mid-April, although the problem with Coronavirus might reduce the number of pilgrims until May.

Hope that everything is going well for you. Kind regards from the community"
Thanks for the update. Prayers continue for the successful completion of this work. And for a successful season of healthy pilgrims this year.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back