• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Albergue Santa Cruz in Sahagun

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
Hi, here is a call for help that went out today via Rebecah Scott to help the albergue. I don't post often and I don't know if this ok here. BUT so many pilgrims stay there on their way to Santiago and it would be a shame to loose this wonderful place. I have been hospi there (this past summer) and it is such an important place that ministers to all pilgrims.

here is the link to find out more and to donate! https://www.peaceableprojects.org/b...PKjQ6CFBqm2i9CJ88-hP89WsWy2SvSLZJHD2EU3el24RA

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We don’t usually allow fund raising on the forum, but this is specifically Camino related, it’s urgent and something where we can make a practical difference to improve and support the Camino.

Thank you @Kanga and @ivar ! BC SY

Done. Thank you IngridF for letting us know about the predicament Albergue Santa Cruz is in. We are walking the Camino Frances again next year and have already prebooked our stay at Albergue Santa Cruz! We are very happy to donate to this worthy project and hopefully help to ensure our stay there next year and for many other pilgrims. Look forward to hearing how the appeal goes.
Buen Camino, Anne & Pat

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Stayed there in 2018 and would stay there again...if they can reopen next year! Glad to contribute to hopefully help to make it happen. Thanks for the post IngridF and thank you Rebekah and Peaceable Projects for your love and support!! ❤ ✌
Ultreia! elle

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, here is a call for help that went out today via Rebecah Scott to help the albergue. I don't post often and I don't know if this ok here. BUT so many pilgrims stay there on their way to Santiago and it would be a shame to loose this wonderful place. I have been hospi there (this past summer) and it is such an important place that ministers to all pilgrims.

here is the link to find out more and to donate! https://www.peaceableprojects.org/b...PKjQ6CFBqm2i9CJ88-hP89WsWy2SvSLZJHD2EU3el24RA
Thank you for letting us know! We had a wonderful stay with them 3 days ago. The shared dinner with Brothers Daniel and Angel and a handful of peregrinos was heartwarming. We must do what we can to help them serve future pilgrims.

Oh, my. I'm so sorry to hear about the plumbing issues! I hobbled into the albergue with sciatica this past spring. I was welcomed warmly and cared for so well. They gave me, without my having to ask, a first floor private room and charged me 5 Euros. They guided me to a nearby restaurant, which ironically was on fire when I got there. The whole experience there was beyond anything I could have expected.

And as a Benedictine Oblate, I'm so happy to donate what I can. Rebekah, please do keep us posted on your progress in this fundaising project!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in! Just donated via PayPal. It was easy peasy. JUST DO IT!

I have never stayed at this albergue, but it very much deserves to be kept open. Please do what you can.

FYI - For US citizens... donating to Peaceable Project (PPI) gives you a charitable donation deduction on your US federal income taxes. In the US, PPI is an IRS registered tax exempt organization.

While this does not make a difference to me, it is nonetheless a consideration. Personally, I rather like the idea that, indirectly, the US is paying part of supporting our Camino, writ large.

At this time of each calendar / tax year, many US citizens are looking for creative ways to reduce what they have to send to Washington. IMHO, this is among the best there is.

Please do what you can. Any amount helps.

Thank you.

Hope this helps.

thank you all for your support. This is the biggest Ask that Peaceable has ever asked. Not sure if we can do it, but wow, initial response has been remarkable!
If I were a betting person, I would bet that you will meet the goal, Reb. The forum is an awesome bunch of people, and it’s just one of the groups who will surely jump in here. Let us know how it is going.

thank you all for your support. This is the biggest Ask that Peaceable has ever asked. Not sure if we can do it, but wow, initial response has been remarkable!
Done. So happy to help keep it open for more ‘buen caminos ‘
Rebekah / I omitted to note the intended project on my transfer - I guess this msg will help

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I donated. But, based on the experience of other fundraising platforms, you may have a better chance of meeting your goal if you share somewhere your progress towards the goal. Maybe a thermometer, maybe a line graph. Sometimes, when people see that it is nearing completion they are motivated to donate (perhaps again) to push it over the line.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just donated. I spent a very special night at the albergue in April 2018, shortly after they opened. The fathers were warm and gracious and my fellow pilgrims great companions. I was especially moved by mass in the gorgeous baroque church -- with the sisters singing Vespers and the pilgrim blessing following. One of the priests sang "Ultreia" a capella at the end. Something I'll long remember.

It's painful to think they may be forced to close after just two seasons, barely a year and a half. Being there is a special pilgrim experience that I hope others are able to enjoy. In my prayers that this project succeeds.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to donate. I arrived at Albergue Santa Cruz on my camino this March physically and spiritually drained. The warm reception I received from Father Daniel, Father Bernard and volunteer Pepe renewed my spirit. It was the turning point in my camino and allowed me to continue on to Santiago. I hope this donation drive allows for the reopening of this wonderful place in the spring.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for sharing 🙏🏻
how can I be sure the donation goes to the albergue?

If you donate via PayPal, there will be a comment box. I typed "for Albergue Santa Clara, Sahagun" in the space.

Beyond that, I would trust Rebekah with my very life... No problems in that regard.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks for the information. I've made a small donation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stayed here in April 2018. Just the sort of place and welcome that oozes Camino spirit. I hope my small donation, alongside the many already done, and the ones to come, will keep Father Daniel and co in business.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Come ON folks! According to Ivar there are several tens of thousands of members to this important forum, IIRC he told me 83,000 last spring. To be sure, there is a core of veterans who make up most of the material seen here. But, everyone can help. Every little bit helps.

IMHO, this is less about having a personal connection to this particular albergue, I don't BTW, than it is about ensuring that this particular, historic albergue remains available to all. Sahagun is the literal halfway point between Saint Jean Pied de Port and Santiago de Compostela.

This community of religious people have been providing hospitality to all comers on a donativo basis for centuries. This is an important stopping place for many pilgrims on their way to Santiago.

The buildings they are in are architectural treasures. As many of you know, any building needs to be lived in and used to remain "healthy." Vacant buildings quickly fall into ruin. In this case, that would be a cultural crime.

This would be a very sad commentary on the long history of the Camino, writ large, the patrimony of Spain, and a slap in the face to these good people who have devoted their very lives to helping others.

I understand that with most national, and regional governmental budgets very tight, along with creeping secularization, there may be rational reasons for the government not to step in. But, this renovation project, and the need to keep Albergue Santa Clara open is not for the use of most anyone else but US.

For those of you who have already donated, THANK YOU! To those of you who have not, think of it as giving yourself an early Christmas present. You WILL feel good about it...trust me.

Then there is all the good 'juju" or karma coming from the many prayers of thanksgiving to be offered for you by the religious community that you helped keep in the hospitality game. YOU KNOW they will offer many prayers for their benefactors. Prayers NEVER hurt.

Pretty please, JUST DO IT! Let's get their initial needs met, and provide more, so they can maintain a replacement reserve for other 'oopsies' and unpleasant surprises up the road.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and your generosity.

Last edited:
IMHO, this is less about having a personal connection to this particular albergue, I don't BTW, than it is about ensuring that this particular, historic albergue remains available to all.

I don't have a personal connection to this albergue, either. I approached this the way I would approach deciding how much to give at a donativo albergue: not according to what I have received but according to what I would like to be available for future pilgrims to receive. If you stay at a "bare bones" albergue and wish to have received more, therefore giving minimally, you only ensure that future pilgrims will receive the same "bare bones" experience. What we donate sets the level of what is available for future pilgrims.

So it is here, too. While I haven't stayed at this albergue personally, from all accounts it is the kind of accommodation that I want to be available for future pilgrims. On past pilgrimages I have benefited from the contributions that people before me had made. Now is my chance to "pay it forward". It is your chance, too.

Thanks for sharing 🙏🏻
how can I be sure the donation goes to the albergue?
Because we know Rebekah and the Peaceable
@Sara_Dhooma has just posted a YouTube video today of arriving at the Albergue Santa Cruz as she finishes the Camino Madrid this week. She gives a little tour of the albergue.
Video here
surprised Sara did not show the lovely chapel inside the albergue, as well nothing about the communal dinner in the evening after the Pilgrims mass and blessing. It's the one time you can easily get into the church of the Benedictine Nuns, that houses the coffins of King Alfonso and Princess Zaida his Favorite. She mentioned the Church of the Peregrina, which is also a very interesting museum and issues the "1/2 way Compostela" a very beautiful certificate. Sahagun is full of surprises worthwhile exploring.

surprised Sara did not show the lovely chapel inside the albergue, as well nothing about the communal dinner in the evening after the Pilgrims mass and blessing. It's the one time you can easily get into the church of the Benedictine Nuns,

The evening Pilgrim's Mass in the Sister's chapel was moving -- but early Mass and sung Matins with the Sisters the next morning was even more moving -- precisely because these were services attended not by any peregrinos other than myself, so far as I could see, but only by the local faithful, instead! ... Probably the emotional high point of my September 2019 Meseta walk....

That this place doesn't get more Camino attention is just... sad.

1572639587767.png

Last edited:
surprised Sara did not show the lovely chapel inside the albergue, as well nothing about the communal dinner in the evening after the Pilgrims mass and blessing. It's the one time you can easily get into the church of the Benedictine Nuns, that houses the coffins of King Alfonso and Princess Zaida his Favorite.

The chapel's Royal sarcophagi....

1572640219872.png

Checked my credential and stayed Santa Cruz Sahagun May 29 2018, the priests booking me in whose names escape were quite helpful and the accommodation and serenity were much improved from the previous night at Ledigos.

The mass in the evening was moving and meal afterwards was very special with everyone helping out. Had a good yarn to the young trainee at dinner whose name I think was Antonio who had spent some time down here in Australia in 2014 as we talked sport, wine from the Hunter Valley and the Blue Mountains outside Sydney(he enjoyed Australia) Every time the door bell rang he'd tear off from the table to answer it, quite excitable at a potential new arrival.

Next day walked to Reliegos(took the wrong path with a German pilgrim) by memory but somehow missed bar Elvis, have a feeling it was 30 plus kms for the hot day.

The money will be raised I am sure hoping our contributions are enough, Santa Cruz is a great place to reflect as one heads across the Meseta. Santa Cruz Sahagun and the Albergue at Rabanal my two favourite nights on the Camino Frances, would highly recommend it to all pilgrims.

PS: Hi to Anne and Pat, hope you are well.

Last edited:
Done ✅ Donated and shared .
I stayed at Santa Cruz in 2018 and I’m sad that it is under threat of closure .
I hope that a good outcome for the continuation of the albergue will happen / Mark x

Checked my credential and stayed there May 29 2018, the priests booking me in whose names escape were quite helpful and the accommodation and serenity were much improved from the previous night at Ledigos.

The mass in the evening was moving and meal afterwards was very special with everyone helping out. Had a good yarn to the young trainee at dinner whose name I think was Antonio who had spent some time down here in Australia in 2014 as we talked sport, wine from the Hunter Valley and the Blue Mountains outside Sydney(he enjoyed Australia) Every time the door bell rang he'd tear off from the table to answer it, quite excitable at a potential new arrival.

Next day walked to Reliegos(took the wrong path with a German pilgrim) by memory but somehow missed bar Elvis, have a feeling it was 30 plus kms for the hot day.

The money will be raised I am sure hoping our contributions are enough, Santa Cruz is a great place to reflect as one heads across the Meseta. Sahagun and the Albergue at Rabanal my two favourite nights on the Camino Frances, would highly recommend it to all pilgrims.

PS: Hi to Anne and Pat, hope you are well.
G’day Nick, Great to hear from you, we have fond memories of bumping into a fellow Australian at Monte del Gozo and seeing you again in Santiago, after we had completed the Norte!
Hope all is well with you in Sydney.
Hope to see you again on The Way.
Best regards,
Anne & Pat

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've never stayed at Albergue Santa Cruz, but it looks like a great place that needs to remain open. I hope to get the chance to stay there after completing the Camino de Madrid!

I’ve not stayed there. But I have donated. Peace.

The Camino is a gift. Even if the commercialization of routes like the Frances are changing the experience.

Over the last 10 years, I have been a beneficiary of the gifts a Camino has to offer. I have made new friends, been helped, helped others, continually learn more about myself, grown (imo) as a person etc.. The Camino will be an annual part of my life until I can no longer walk.

A donation is the easiest way to give back.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As of this evening (Saturday) we are at $6,609 of our 10,000 euro goal. One of our big national donor groups is stepping up soon, but there's still plenty of time. Fr. Daniel says any money that's over the 20,000 needed for the albergue plumbing will be used to help re-plumb the convent wing where the sisters live... the Benedictinas have been hosting pilgrims at this location for generations.

Thank you all for your good words, trust, and quick action.

Donated! Members of my Camino family stayed there in June and raved about it. I hope to stay on my 2020 Camino...hope the fundraising is successful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€83,-

Donated just now. Everything about the complex needs to be not just saved, but fully stabilized for the long-term future. It's too bad the Vatican can't help--Euros 20,000 probably is sufficient for cigars and cognac for the Prelates every week.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
E76E3063-74E4-44E0-B987-920E8835BAD8.jpeg

My wife and I stayed with Daniel and the other priests last week. We sat with him at the communal dinner. The entire experience was one of the highlights of our Camino! Donation has been made.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for letting us know of this need! I teach at a Marist-run school in Atlanta and was lucky enough to stay at this albergue this past spring on my pilgrimage. At first, I thought I was getting special treatment here but quickly realized that they treat every pilgrim as special. This place embodies everything good about the Camino. It needs to stay open and thrive.

Attachments

• Marist Albergue Sahagun.jpg
    Marist Albergue Sahagun.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Marist fathers in Sahagun.jpg
    Marist fathers in Sahagun.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 17
I’ve donated. I’ve never stayed there, but hope I’ve made some small contribution to it still being open next time I’m passing.

I’d raise the recommended donation from €5 if the financial position is as borderline as described. It’s admirable to run not-for-profit, but slightly shortsighted to have such a splendid facility be a victim of its own generosity.

Just donated, thank you for sharing. I stayed here with friends in May, it was a highlight of my Camino and is such a special place xxx

Done - wishing you good luck raising the full amount.

Note that this call for money is for only the 10,000 balance needed after a 10,000 bequest from a priest. The local grant-finding group (ADESCAS), the diocese, the Patrimonio, the Junta de Castilla y Leon, and the greater Benedictine Order have been approached for a 'no' or years timeline. So the big benefactors are not an option.

Glad so many of us have both the camino spirit and funds to help. I hope that the full amount will be raised. I have always liked the camino spirit!!

UPDATE: So far, 134 people have given $8,594 USD via PayPal. This total does not count the Euro contributions given via Los Angeles del Camino site, and it's dollars, not Euro... we need to go over the stated goal a bit to make the exchange!
These are INDIVIDUAL DONORS, and I said a prayer for every one of you as I filled in the receipts. It looks like we might make the $20,000 goal in only a few days' time!
The fathers are a little overwhelmed right now, none of us thought it would happen so fast, so we aren't putting up progress meters and breathlessly pushing this. This is Spain, after all, no place for people in a hurry.
You guys are amazing.

Donated.

There are albergues, and the there are ALBERGUES. This is in the later group.

It is not only conveniently located, and very well run. It is ancient, historic, vital to the Camino story, and a keystone among other “original” religious-run albergues. Remember, back in the beginning ONLY the Church provided hospitality to passing pilgrims. Towns and private operators did not get into the hospitality business on the Camino until much later.

Santa Cruz is a remnant from a time long gone. Once it is gone, it is gone for good.

Thank you to all who have donated. Keep up the good work.

In fact, the next time you walk through Sahagun, make it a point to stop by, even if you are not staying there.

Refill your water bottles from their soon-to-be certified safe and sanitary water system. That official designation will be a singular point in their favor... “officially safe water....”

Leave a fiver in the donativo jar/box even if you did not stay there overnight. That will help secure their future viability. It’s only a couple of beers....

It also thumbs our collective noses at the bureaucrats who wanted to deprive us of this cultural treasure. I like this....

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back