• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help, albergue

Botaivica

Time of past OR future Camino
May - July 2016
SJPP - Santiago - Finisterra
May 2017
Caminho do Tejo
June 2017
Fatima - Santiago
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wouldn't try to map out the alberques ahead of time. If there are a couple that you really want to stay in, then keep those in mind, but otherwise, I'd just walk and choose a place to stay when I got into the town where I wanted to stay. You can call ahead daily and reserve a spot at some places if you want to, but otherwise, just walk.

With the greatest respect for your request, @Botaivica , I offer these suggestions.

Unless there is an absolute need for you to be in a given town for the evening, I would seriously suggest that you do not become anxious with your research results. "Different and confusing" is pretty standard for the information on the different sites. Sources vary and not all are up-to-date with changes in albergue ownership or practice. (Honestly, NONE may be up-to-date! ;))

If the albergue is still a viable operation, it WILL be open in May. And, most do not open until after 2 pm. (Others may have found earlier times during peak season but I am used to Spring and Fall walks.)

And you will find that out when you get there. And it is entirely possible that, after you are walking for a while, that your "planned stages " evolve into "unplanned".

The weather, your fitness and Camino companions have a way of making that happen.

Pre-planning is fine for the generalities but flexibility and open-ness to change will give you more peace on the Way.

B

(edit: @november_moon said it more simply while I was typing away:))

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi november_moon :)

I believe it will be the case, but for example Villambistia have only one albergue. In links there are several different phone numbers,
and various mail address. If I want to book accommodation I have to call all the numbers and send mails to all addresses? :rolleyes:

Bota :)

Granon is a legend. The albergue on top of the church... don't miss it for anything. The sight that greets you as you leave this tiny village is priceless. Buen Camino :)

Don't worry too much about preplanning ;-) For example Grañón, the albergue itself doesn't have any phone, the number typically given is for the parish priest and should be only used in emergencies. In May they will be all open, unless something major happens like a water pipe break etc. Enjoy your Camino, yes note down where you might want to stay but bear also in mind that a lot of the albergues can't be reserved anyway. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[QUOTE="Botaivica, I believe it will be the case, but for example Villambistia have only one albergue. In links there are several different phone numbers,
and various mail address. If I want to book accommodation I have to call all the numbers and send mails to all addresses? Bota [/QUOTE]
Hola Bota - the best advice I was given about planning my camino - don't plan. Whilst I did not always follow this recommendation I believe it is still valid. Again unless there are specific reasons for staying in a particular village then "let the camino take you with it - the Camino Will Provide!! As for staying at Villambistia well my recommendation is walk a few extra kilos and stay at Villafranca de Montes de Oca - this will be possibly the best 5 Euro you will pay for a nights accommodation. Cheers :);):rolleyes:

Aside from whether you "should" try all this pre-planning, it is not possible to reserve in many or most of the municipal, parroquial and volunteer-run albergues. That is certainly the case for Granon.

Probably all the various lists of accommodations have errors and inconsistencies. If you want to contact a place, just try whatever information you can find. If that doesn't work, try another. However, don't be surprised if you don't get a response, since they may not be set up to handle this sort of negocio.

Personally, I would agree that trying to reserve every night in advance is not a great idea. Once you are there, you can consider reserving a day or 2 in advance.

Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I believe it will be the case, but for example Villambistia have only one albergue. In links there are several different phone numbers,
and various mail address. If I want to book accommodation I have to call all the numbers and send mails to all addresses?

If you want to book, then yes, I suppose so - you'd have to try the various numbers and email addresses until you get to the right people. The real questions are: Do you really want to book? Do you need to stay specifically in Villambistia? Why not just show up and get a bed? If the alberque there is full, then walk to the next town. And once you are on your Camino, you might be out of phase with your current plan anyway and the timing may not be right to stay in this town when you pass through. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to decide where you will stay ahead of time.

Question to all:
Apart from those of you who did pre-book all the way along the Camino, how many of you actually and entirely kept to your supposed pre- planned schedule?

try to stay at the church in granon..lovely...

Never have I pre-booked, nor have I been able to maintain a "schedule" due to the vagaries of the weather and my physical conditions. There are several places where I have wanted to splurge for a special stay and I have always been able to call a few days ahead and secure a booking.
The experience at Granon is great but Sonorista is always a back up place to sleep.

Like Don and so many other pilgrims I too have always enjoyed the most special caritas at San Juan Bautista in Granon. However reservations are not accepted. Another nearby spot which does take reservations is the Albergue Nuestra Senora de Carrasquedo. See their web for more info.
http://carrasquedo.obr.es/page/reserva

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Question to all:
Apart from those of you who did pre-book all the way along the Camino, how many of you actually and entirely kept to your supposed pre- planned schedule?

I didn't have a schedule for my first camino, just booked the first night in StJpdP and the following night in Orrisson. Even that didn't work out! The albergue in StJean hadn't kept my booking as I only phoned to confirm from the airport in Biarritz not once on the train from Bayonne....but they gave me the phone number of another albergue, no probs!
And as for Orrisson, I ended up cancelling as I arrived very early that morning.
Second camino francés, yes I did book a hotel in StJean as my train was arriving late evening and I was meeting other people there but that was it.

Sooooo.... I would advise to book the first night in StJeanpdePort IF you are arriving late afternoon and/or come from far away (jet lag). It'll give you peace of mind. But no worries if you don't, or can't as the Pilgrim's Office will find you a place.
I would also recommend booking a place in SdC IF you want to stay somewhere specific/special etc.... Again, it's just peace of mind.
Otherwise, along the Camino, it's 'peine perdue' as we say in French.
Really.
Buen camino

Sonorista??? SY
I think this is the Casa de las Sonrisas (House of Smiles) in Granon. I have stayed there twice. It is a private donativo Albergue which also provides an evening meal and breakfast which are also donativo.

I think this is the Casa de las Sonrisas (House of Smiles) in Granon. I have stayed there twice. It is a private donativo Albergue which also provides an evening meal and breakfast which are also donativo.

Ernesto! Yes, he has build up a lovely place there. I worked with him as a hospitalero team back many years ago and stayed there again in 2014 (one night in San Juan Bautista, one night in the casa de las sonrisas) enjoyed both very much! SY

Question to all:
I had a list (after reading the opinions here) of places that people said 'not to miss'...but in the end mostly I did miss them (except Casa Abuela in Los Arcos, Granon, and El Beso near Triacastella). It was so fantastic to let go of those ideas, and simply be able to go with the reality of the day as it unfolded and to stay wherever it felt right to stop.
(And of course that leaves many possibilities to explore for future journeys...;))

Ok, here goes, and this may be unpopular. I am mainly responding to the "don't plan anything" crowd.

I plan a detailed camino each time I go out. I figure out the time I have, and the distance that needs to be covered to meet my goals, and the approximate distance I need to cover each day. Then I look at maps. http://www.gronze.com/ does an excellent job of laying out possible etapas, but i usually click within the cities/stops to see the available accommodation that match my prerequisites. Next, I look at the links to the available alburgues, or hotels, or whatever, and when appropriate (gasp!) I even book my trip in advance.

This activity is about half as fun as the camino itself.

I do not have the luxury of enjoying an indeterminate amount of days I can travel. I know I have to fit from point A to point B in a certain amount of time and I figure out how to get there.

Is this an ideal situation? No. I'd love to have complete freedom, but I don't. I realize that my lack of freedom is somewhat driven by my personal desire to "accomplish", but hey, that's me.

Do I love it? Heck ya. I wouldn't be coming back year after year after year if it was a let down.

Now, most importantly, does this diminish my love of the Camino, or prevent me from experiencing the Camino love? Most definitely not.

Sometimes having a plan makes me go outside the boundaries of a typical "Camino family". It makes me reach out to ALL that I meet, new ones each day, to feel that camino love, rather than get enveloped in some "comfortable" group of peregrinos each planning their next day stop together so that they can know in advance they'll have a person familiar to enjoy dinner with or sleep on top of.

Its an alternate perspective I know, but one that has suited me so far...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Question to all:
Hola Anna - after the first or second night I took it as it came. Some short days and some long. Although after Tricastela I did check that where I intended to stop did have a bed.
Getting back to OP from my limited experience walking in May/June should not pose too many accommodation problems - even over the last 5 or 6 days. Cheers

Question to all:

I'm with Damien on this

Those wanting to pre-book accommodation now for May are most probably beginners who have heard about the rush for beds in Summer - there are also those who want to stay at all the supposed highlights

From my experience, once you have completed a Camino or two you are more likely to become more relaxed about keeping to a schedule or pre-booking

Like Damien, I have to scavenge a week here and a couple of weeks there and book flights in advance - second time around on the Norte I'll know how far I can walk and plan accordingly but, just to make it a bit more exciting, I almost never book accommodation in advance - so I ended up in the overflow at the albergue in Orio or got the very last hotel bed in Deba during a sweltering September (albeit one with no air conditioning)

So I have a plane to catch in say 7 or 14 days as an incentive not to have a lie-in - first time, my schedule was rather too ambitious so I had to finish at Baamonde instead of Santiago - next time, there'll be some flexibility on some nights about where exactly I stay if there are alternatives within 5-10km - but if I have a shorter than expected day, I'll have to walk further the next

For those who do want to plan, the Rother red guides are great because they have walking times for 6-8 intermediate locations each day - sometimes you just have to be practical and plan

Hi Damien,

I understand your approach. When I leave for the Camino each year in May/June, I always have my return journey booked as I have to be back for a family birthday at the beginning of July.

I make a plan of where I would like to stay each night but never book anything ahead, so I still have complete flexibility to do a bit more or less each day. I have never precisely stuck to the plan but always completed my Camino in time for my journey home.

In 2014 I met a group who had booked ahead and had their luggage forwarded, but ended up in a small village 10kms short and unable to continue walking. There were no transport options there, so they ended up stranded with no kit and had to pay for their night there.

I like to keep my Camino simple and basic. No phone, no music, no wifi, nothing booked, so simply just walk and immerse myself in the pilgrim experience.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ernesto! Yes, he has build up a lovely place there. I worked with him as a hospitalero team back many years ago and stayed there again in 2014 (one night in San Juan Bautista, one night in the casa de las sonrisas) enjoyed both very much! SY
Yes, a truly unique experience staying with Ernesto.

I always choose to stay in Municipal, Parrochial, Donativo and low cost private Albergues, never fancy more expensive places!!

Having now stayed in more than 70 different Albergues, many more than once, there are only two I would not stay in again. The rest were all fine and the Casa de las Sonrisas in Granon is definitely one of my favourites. :)

;
Ernesto is truly a gem of a person. I decided to stay at his Casa because we have a mutual friend. During that walking day I met a very disturbing pilgrim ( won't go into detail ). So when I saw him entering the parroquial it was an easy decision to go to Ernesto. I was the only pilgrim and I got a hug from Ernesto when he let me see the text of our mutual friend anouncing my arrival. Anyway long story short, the disturbing pilgrim came to Ernesto's after all because he found the parroquial " disugusting, horrid and much more ". Now let's say that Ernesto's place is as basic as the church albergue. So of course this pilgrim got aggrevated here too. Ernesto gave him back his donativo and the pilgrim went away. I was so tired and wired up I started crying because this pilgrim was so out of order towards Ernesto.
Now seeing I was the only one at Ernesto's, he closed . We took the casserole of lentils and chorizo to the church albergue where we joined the communal meal.
Ernesto and the two hospis found me a mattress and I had one of the best experiences in an albergue ever.
Needless to say Granon really is a close community and Ernesto is an active member of keeping it's spirit alive.

Most probably our next " regular " holiday will be in the Rioja area so a visit to Granon, Ernesto and the local bar is in order.

how many of you actually and entirely kept to your supposed pre- planned schedule?
I didn't reserve in advance, except for Orrison, but I did carefully plan every single stop between SPdP and Santiago. Stayed on schedule until Roncesvalles! Learned that for us, anyway, planning, and certainly planning more than a day out, was pointless. The Camino did provide.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are starting in St. Jean, the Pilgrim Office has a printout of Albergues with telephone numbers. By now you have numerous thoughts from many helpful pilgrims; those who feel the need to plan and those who would rather (like me) leave it open for the unknown. I just prefer the flexibility. I wish you Buen Camino.

What a lovely story SabineP. I will be in Granon again in May and look forward to meeting Ernesto again. :)

If you are starting in St. Jean, the Pilgrim Office has a printout of Albergues with telephone numbers. By now you have numerous thoughts from many helpful pilgrims; those who feel the need to plan and those who would rather (like me) leave it open for the unknown. I just prefer the flexibility. I wish you Buen Camino.
I found that the list given out in SJPP is a selection of Albergues but not a complete list.

If you check the Camino Resources at the top of the page, you will see that Ivar has provided an excellent full Albergue listing for the Camino Frances. It is in pdf format and I printed it off last year to use on my Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What does donations mean? Sorry to show my ignorance!

Donativo means that there is no fixed price for staying in the albergue. You give what you can/ prepared to give. In these albergues, most of them very rudimental, you still can find the true pilgrim caritas.
Do a search here on the forum on donativo and you find some threads about use/ misuse of this system.

And if you don't have enough cash for a donativo you can always " give " by doing some chores around the place.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

It is important to know that donation does NOT mean free. Please do give generously as the people that run donativo/donation albergues in general do NOT receive any grants but maintain the albergue only with the money pilgrims put in the box. Personally I have adopted the Fiver rule:

Five Euro for each of the following bed, shower, breakfast and dinner. PLUS any loose change I have in coins.

Please support the spirit of the Camino and give generously to keep these unique places alive.

Buen Camino, SY *Stepping off the soap box now*

In

Interesting. What does caritas mean?

Charity - in the original, Christian sense best is translated as love for your neighbour/the one you meet on the road. The one that can't pay you back. The pay it forward movement is charity at its best. Buen Camino, SY

It is important to know that donation does NOT mean free. Please do give generously as the people that run donativo/donation albergues in general do NOt receive any grants but maintain the albergue only with the money pilgrims put in the box. Personally I have adopted the Fiver rule:

Five Euro for each of the following bed, shower, breakfast and dinner. PLUS any loose change I have in coins.

Please support the spirit of the Camino and give generously to keep these unique places alive.

No soapbox at all!! I actually saw someone with 1000 of euros of equipment putting an old button in the donativo box. That was in Tosantos. Guy was actaully bragging about it to his mates....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Charity - in the original, Christian sense best translated to love for your neighbour/the one you meet on the road. The one that can't pay you back. The pay it forward movement is charity at its best. Buen Camino, SY

Thank you! you explained it better than I.

Sorry, spell check changed "donativo" to "donations!" I wondered what "donativo"means.
The idea of the term is to donate or give what you wish; there is no set fee. However that does not mean it is free! It is generally accepted that we all should give the same amount as is usually charged elsewhere for the same service.

Oh dear, so sad, but lets just be charitable and assume that he didn't know what he was doing/ was convinced some nebulous entity is supporting Jose Luis and his stellar work in Tosantos financially. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had a list (after reading the opinions here) of places that people said 'not to miss'...but in the end mostly I did miss them (except Casa Abuela in Los Arcos, Granon, and El Beso near Triacastella). It was so fantastic to let go of those ideas, and simply be able to go with the reality of the day as it unfolded and to stay wherever it felt right to stop.
(And of course that leaves many possibilities to explore for future journeys...;))
Viranani really sums up my experiences, not just on the Camino, but around the world. Unless you are planning to attend a large festival or some such just, "Go with the flow." Go with what feels right. I've spent the night in some very interesting places that way--but never a bad experience.

Buen Camino

All of us who walk have received caritas or caring love from those we met along the way. Late November 2014 walking into Burgo Ranero was COLD, bleak and solitary. During 5 hours only a handful of pilgrims passed and all were battling the incessant wind and rain. With great relief I finally arrived at the simple adobe albergue and met the friendly hospitalera named Alicia "like Alice in Wonderland!" as she said.

Wonderland indeed! Alice who had just arrived herself would be resident hospitalera for the next two weeks but already had an open fire warming the downstairs common room (there was no other heat) and her lunch was cooking in the kitchen. One other soaked cold pilgrim, Carlos from Madrid, came in. Since it was Sunday and both bars and the village shop apparently closed Alice immediately set the table for three and graciously invited us both to share her meal. Thus the delicious HOT rice, vegs and salad was stretched with his cheese and my biscuits and bananas. In the spirit of Wonderland we all drank several steaming mugs of HOT sugared tea. Alice enjoyed recounting her many camino memories while serving as hospitalera. I sensed that wherever she might be it would quickly be her 'home'; across the years the camino had become her way of life and caring generosity defined her spirit....Such goodness is unforgetable.

MM

All of us who walk have received caritas or caring love from those we met along the way. Late November 2014 walking into Burgo Ranero was COLD, bleak and solitary. During 5 hours only a handful of pilgrims passed and all were battling the incessant wind and rain. With great relief I finally arrived at the simple adobe albergue and met the friendly hospitalera named Alicia "like Alice in Wonderland!" as she said.

Wonderland indeed! Alice who had just arrived herself would be resident hospitalera for the next two weeks but already had an open fire warming the downstairs common room (there was no other heat) and her lunch was cooking in the kitchen. One other soaked cold pilgrim, Carlos from Madrid, came in. Since it was Sunday and both bars and the village shop apparently closed Alice immediately set the table for three and graciously invited us both to share her meal. Thus the delicious HOT rice, vegs and salad was stretched with his cheese and my biscuits and bananas. In the spirit of Wonderland we all drank several steaming mugs of HOT sugared tea. Alice enjoyed recounting her many camino memories while serving as hospitalera. I sensed that wherever she might be it would quickly be her 'home'; across the years the camino had become her way of life and caring generousity defined her spirit....Such goodness is unforgetable.

MM
What a beautiful story; thanks Margaret. It reminds me of a letter once received at our hotel, where I was working. Quote..Thank you for providing an oasis of service and concern, amidst a sea of indifference and mediocrity. Unquote. You are so right Margaret; people do not forget, like I have never forgotten the kindness of the gentleman who took the timr to write that letter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If people want to pre-plan, then go for it, but I think the message is that you don't have to pre-plan your lodging.

I don't have unlimited time either. On our first Camino attempt a couple years ago, we had a certain number of days to walk, which meant that we needed to walk an average of 20-22 km per day - some days were more, some days less. We had some milestones - we should be close to X by the end of week 1 and near Y by the end of week 2, etc. As long as we basically met those milestones, we knew we were on track. Exactly how many km we walked each day and where we slept wasn't planned - we did know about where we wanted to be at the end of each day, but sometimes we stopped early or continued on. And we had a few days of slack built into the plan. Unfortunately we had to leave before we finished due to an emergency at home, so we are going back to walk again this year. We'll take the same basic approach.

Hi Damien,

I understand your approach. When I leave for the Camino each year in May/June, I always have my return journey booked as I have to be back for a family birthday at the beginning of July.

I make a plan of where I would like to stay each night but never book anything ahead, so I still have complete flexibility to do a bit more or less each day. I have never precisely stuck to the plan but always completed my Camino in time for my journey home.

In 2014 I met a group who had booked ahead and had their luggage forwarded, but ended up in a small village 10kms short and unable to continue walking. There were no transport options there, so they ended up stranded with no kit and had to pay for their night there.

I like to keep my Camino simple and basic. No phone, no music, no wifi, nothing booked, so simply just walk and immerse myself in the pilgrim experience.

Buen Camino,

Mike
I'm also one who takes much joy in making a plan and then coming up with a number of other possibilities just for the fun of it! I have booked Orisson but otherwise I'll see how the feet go. Also I have a general Idea of how to make my flight back which is booked. We're all so different in our approaches and I love the way we can challenge each other to go beyond our comfort zones and grow. Buen Camino to all. Erica

What a lovely story SabineP. I will be in Granon again in May and look forward to meeting Ernesto again. :)
I loved Granon and stayed at Ernesto's place in late Sept '14. Perfect host, great food, comfortable mattress (I had the bottom bunk in the private room). Oh and the music Ernesto had going all afternoon was just up my alley. He offered to do our (Jo, my upper bunkie for the night) laundry for free if we didn't mind it all being done in hot water with sheets and towels so we both took him up on it . I stayed there because it reminded me so much of my university days in the early 70's. :) And I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.
16200337223_5879af8eb4_m.jpg 21819398196_55185c745e_m.jpg

Question to all:
This is a good question. I think I quickly realized on my first Camino that the schedule that my friend and I had proposed was little more than a skeleton around which events would put the real flesh and blood of my camino. In contrast, there was little flexibility on the CI when it came to where to stay if one wanted to use albergues and walk from Ferrol to Santiago in five days. This year, the 'plan' for the CF is largely to demonstrate to my wife that it will be possible to undertake our pilgrimage under the conditions we have agreed upon. I don't expect to deviate too much from it, but neither will we feel compelled to stick to it precisely.

Last edited:
When I did my firt Camino it had never occured to me to vet albergues or prebook. Don't even know if that was possible back in the day. Same situation on Camino 2 until I started walking with a man who kept emailing a friend of his asking her to book him a bunk at an upcomming albergue. I don't even know if he was chosing based on reputation, etc. Camino 3 I don't recall booking but I did on the Norte and Primitivo.

Why? Because I walk like a geisha andcan only cover so many km a day and because in both cases albergues are much further away from each other than they are on the Frances. And since my walk on the Norte where I developped plantar fasciitis I have to be even more careful to avoid a flare up. So last spring for the Primitivo I went a little crazy, pulled out the spreadsheet and plotted number of days and distances and wrote down comments about the various albergues.

What was I doing last night before going to bed? Making notes in my new Fisterra Brierly guide, with Eroski open plotting possible stops based on distances I hope my foot will allow mw to walk and identifying the albergues in the guide that Eroski recommends, crossing off tje far from stellar ones, and adding the good ones Brierly seems tomhave forgotten. Notes include email addresses for booking and who offers bedding and towels. This is also a way not to avoid great places that may be 500 metres off Camino I would otherwise avoid as to rest my tired little feet asap.

Mind you, you will still find me in some albergues which are not earning 5 stars: Esclampero, Mater Christi, and I do feel that everyone needs to spend a night in San Juan de Ortega, but I draw the line at recomending San Vicente de la Barquera, anf it's more because of the alberguero's treatment of pilgrims than the dirty facilities.:eek:.

This evening I may start working on the Portuguese!

I plan a detailed camino each time I go out. I figure out the time I have, and the distance that needs to be covered to meet my goals, and the approximate distance I need to cover each day. Then I look at maps. http://www.gronze.com/ does an excellent job of laying out possible etapas, but i usually click within the cities/stops to see the available accommodation that match my prerequisites. Next, I look at the links to the available alburgues, or hotels, or whatever, and when appropriate (gasp!) I even book my trip in advance.

This activity is about half as fun as the camino itself.

Absolutely! This long, involved activity keeps you going until the next Camino!

When a friend and I were planning our first Camino in 2011 from Leon to Santiago, I actually did not believe it was possible to walk the Camino without making reservations, and that the stress and fear of not having secured a bed for the end of our day would ruin each day's walk. We did sit down with a guide and figured out where might stay if we walked 20-25km/day - and then crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. But once we started walking, it didn't take long to figure out that Go With The Flow is the best plan - there was always a bed, whether we walked 10k or 27k. I quickly learned to let go of expectations and let go of fear...and had a wonderful stress-free time.

Last edited:

I absolutely respect that. We all have our own ways.

I personally have had some of my most fun-loving times along the walk wearing my iphone on my backpack strap and playing music out loud, so at least my immediate company can enjoy, sing, and we dance.

If people want to pre-plan, then go for it, but I think the message is that you don't have to pre-plan your lodging.

Agree with this too, I think that maybe pre-planning (and pre booking) comes more into play if one starts to shift from alburgues every night to the occasional (and now for me about 50% hotel or private accommodation). I totally agree that having a general outline works for getting from point a to point b in a prescribed amount of time. However, some routes are not as accommodating as others, and when you are going to walk 35+K to meet your goal it is WHOLLY disappointing when the place you "hoped" to stay is full on a less well appointed route (Happened to me on the Norte for example). I think it all depends on what you are trying to do.

I suppose I should have communicated that the pre-planning is more important to me when trying to achieve extreme distances in a prescribed amount of time, especially along the lesser travelled routes.

Absolutely! This long, involved activity keeps you going until the next Camino!

Oh my so agree. I absolutely love the planning part. And there are few events more satisfying than, after having spent 2 or 3 nights in a row in a bunkbed, finding some obscure little hotel in some tiny Spanish town, walking up to their desk and having them pull up your reservation placed 6 months before, and finding an entirely comfortable private place that costs about $25-$40 for the night. Again, not for everyone, but I've learned to appreciate those nights.

Damien

Hi Damien,
Mike
Mike, was this on CF? They couldn't ring a taxi?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From my experience make reservations for accommodations from SJPDP to Pamplona mostly because of the number of Pilgrims starting the Camino Frances in SJPDP...after Pamplona the weather and your physical ability have more to do with the distance traveled each day so prior reservations can be a problem if you want to travel more or less distance in a day...and sometimes you just see your unexpected oasis in the middle of nowhere that you just have to stay at regardless of your travel plans...on the worst day without reservations I would have to request a single room but I was never without a bed on the Camino Frances...so my recommendation is to make reservations in SJPDP, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Santiago at the end of your Camino...and just have a list of recommended accommodations with their mileage markers in between and decide if you want to stop for the day as you approach each of these other accommodations.

Also some of the websites you quoted seems to be very much out of date, for example

This is the original albergue in Azofra, but it is nowadays only open/in use as an overflow or in winter when it would be too expensive to keep the big one open, heated and manned for a handful of pilgrims. Loved that old place btw and was very sad it wasn't open in 2014 when I was in Azofra. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I plan, plan and plan - then we generally follow the plan for the first day or so. Sometimes we walk longer, some days shorter - but I do like knowing when we start out in the morning where the possible places to stop are. We tend to re-evaluate during the day when we find out what the weather and our feet feel like.

I have always planned, planned, planned mostly using Planificador on Godesalco and Brierly, then as I leave, I throw everything out and just use the single sheet that you get in SJPP and the RED albergue brochure. Too hard to follow a plan with changes in the weather and ones body. But I find great joy in planning--just none in trying to rigidly follow the plan.

When a friend and I were planning our first Camino in 2011 from Leon to Santiago, I actually did not believe it was possible to walk the Camino without making reservations, and that the stress and fear of not having secured a bed for the end of our day would ruin each day's walk

Marylynn - I am so with you on that. I am a total planner normally and one of the things I wanted to take away from walking the Camino was to learn to go with the flow - that things can and do work out, even if you haven't planned all the details ahead of time :) This is something that I have integrated into my regular life as well - I'm still a planner, but I am not nearly as obsessive about it as I used to be. Its very freeing. I feel like I have learned to tell the difference between what needs planning and what doesn't - and the difference between planning and preparation.

I am an Engineer so planning and organization are all in my training and professional experience...I spent months on the internet and wrote a 10+ page itinerary of my Camino...I purchased and read 20+ books on the the Camino Frances...I spent weeks annotating my maps with every place I wanted to see or stay overnight...I spent months writing the longest Camino packing list ever assembled...then I put everything on my mountain bike and road around the block and then dumped half of the stuff I planned to take...then I spent a week packing my mountain bike into the best of four bike boxes I purchase and because of being overweight for my airlines I dumped half of the remaining stuff I planned to take...the only problem is you can't plan the Camino...how do you plan taking off in a light rain on a seven hour journey that slowly turns into the most rainy day on the Camino...or crossing the Pyrenees Mountains in a 50 km headwind that is knocking Pilgrims down like flies...or how do you plan around arriving in Pamplona in a 100 km wind hurricane that is ripping branches off of trees and smashing them into cars...or afterwards walking for two days through ankle deep mud in the Meseta that takes you twice as long to get to your next destination...one of the lessons the Camino teaches you is that "You can only do what you can do...but never give up."...I don't think any of the Pilgrims I saw limping into Santiago in ankle or knee braces where planning that either...every time someone asked me where I was going that day I would point and say, "Up that hill." or "Over that mountain." and I made it all the way to Santiago one hill or mountain at a time. Beun Camino

Whenever I get into anxious state and thinking that planning will cure the ills, I am reminded of an early 1990s trip to Everest Base Camp. One of my fellow trekkers was a 72 year old Swiss woman with fairly recent bypass surgery. One morning as we assembled, she asked one of our Sherpas "Tenzing, Tenzing!! what is the trail like today? What is the trail like today?" Tenzing looked very puzzled for a minute, and then answered her with a warm and sincere smile: "some up-go, some down-go". I always use this image when I get into the mindset of too much planning (I was an engineer and project manager so old habits die hard). The Camino is a safe place and provides for ALL of our needs (and some of our wants). The greatest dangers are discomfort and inconvenience--and the rewards are beyond compare

It is important to know that donation does NOT mean free. Please do give generously as the people that run donativo/donation albergues in general do NOT receive any grants but maintain the albergue only with the money pilgrims put in the box. Personally I have adopted the Fiver rule:

Handy advice SYates!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I start my first camino in sjpdp april 16. I did all the research and tried planning it out. Then one day lastmonth I threw it all away and decided to let go. I still plannned my packing other than that, im just going to walk and see where the camino takes me.

I have always planned, planned, planned mostly using Planificador on Godesalco and Brierly, then as I leave, I throw everything out and just use the single sheet that you get in SJPP and the RED albergue brochure. Too hard to follow a plan with changes in the weather and ones body. But I find great joy in planning--just none in trying to rigidly follow the plan.
My husband and I walked the Camino Frances in September, the single busiest month in recorded Camino history. My tips may not apply during slower seasons, but this is what we experienced. We found that we had to reach the albergues by y1 pm or so, as there were so many walkers that most were completely full by 2:30 or 3. We solved the issue by reserving a day ahead, sometimes two days, depending on how popular the town. This worked well until we reach Sarria, where there was a huge increase in walkers. At that point,we booked ahead for the last five days, including Santiago, where we were lucky to get the last room in a budget hotel that had seen better days and where we paid 100 euros for a private room with shared bath. I would definitely book Orisson and/or Roncevalles before you leave if you plan to stay there. Hope this helps.

Question to all:
Hi annakappa :)

I know that my plan will have errors.

But while I planing, I am learning too. Learn names of place, see where steep path, where the path is straight, I read about the sights places in city, I read the comments on albergues and many more.
This is my first Camino, and it is a way how I get a picture of what is waiting for me. :)

Bota

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am an Engineer so planning and organization are all in my training and professional experience...I spent months on the internet and wrote a 10+ page itinerary of my Camino...I purchased and read 20+ books on the the Camino Frances...I spent weeks annotating my maps with every place I wanted to see or stay overnight...I spent months writing the longest Camino packing list ever assembled...then I put everything on my mountain bike and road around the block and then dumped half of the stuff I planned to take...then I spent a week packing my mountain bike into the best of four bike boxes I purchase and because of being overweight for my airlines I dumped half of the remaining stuff I planned to take...the only problem is you can't plan the Camino...how do you plan taking off in a light rain on a seven hour journey that slowly turns into the most rainy day on the Camino...or crossing the Pyrenees Mountains in a 50 km headwind that is knocking Pilgrims down like flies...or how do you plan around arriving in Pamplona in a 100 km wind hurricane that is ripping branches off of trees and smashing them into cars...or afterwards walking for two days through ankle deep mud in the Meseta that takes you twice as long to get to your next destination...one of the lessons the Camino teaches you is that "You can only do what you can do...but never give up."...I don't think any of the Pilgrims I saw limping into Santiago in ankle or knee braces where planning that either...every time someone asked me where I was going that day I would point and say, "Up that hill." or "Over that mountain." and I made it all the way to Santiago one hill or mountain at a time. Beun Camino
Hi Kurt Huffman :)
I'm an engineer too ;) 35 years I've built roads and every day I had a conversation about plans.
Schedule for me means becoming acquainted with situations, consider the possibility of the road and get a picture for going into the unknown :)
I know that I will not respect the plan, but have a plan means a lot for me.

Bota :)

It is interesting that you are very little written about errors. They appear errors in phones, mileage, addresses, included, even in the number of beds.
Links that I wrote in the first post are recommended as good informants situation in albergues. In reality they have a lot of errors.

In reality they have a lot of errors.
Yes, that is true, and is a good reason to have several sources of information available. These are free information sources, maintained (or not) by volunteers who may not be able to provide the best quality control in the first place and also provide continuous reviews and updates. But it is the best information available in a convenient form and is, in fact, quite adequate for most purposes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Over the years, Eroski turns out to be my favourite. Good write up about the route, the places of interest to visit along the Way and, best of all, the continually updated list of all the Albergues, giving all facilities available, with unbiased comments by whoever, regarding the facilities that that writer found. In other words, anyone can give their comment on any Albergue that they wish. It's often interesting that what one person praised, another found terrible!

Sorry, spell check changed "donativo" to "donations!" I wondered what "donativo"means.
I think you have your answer, but for others the one thing it does not mean is "free"!! All accommodation locations on the camino require funds of some description - to pay for electricity; gas for hot water and cooking; even the general up keep of the place. As was posted if you are "short of funds" then by all means offer your services to the hospitaleros they will welcome the assistance - sweeping the floors, doing the washing up in the kitchens (as long as you do a good job). Buen Camino

I won't get into the planning vs. no planning approach, but I think the OP wants our input on which of the sites he listed in his first post are the better ones to use. Not many people have the time or patience to look at five different sites.

When I'm looking for information on accommodation on the camino, I always use the Eroski site, http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/

They have a free app for your phone if you are a smart phone type for information on all albergues. Their site is extremely up to date. Rarely do you find a mistake and rarely do you find that someone else has beat them to the announcement of a new place to stay.

BUT... They only include information on albergues (both public and private), so if you want information on private pensiones, hotels, Hostales, etc, you have to supplement. I always go to mundicamino for that option (under the link "hospedaje" on the left listing of tabs under each particular stage of each camino). I know lots of people who swear by gronze. I think it really blossomed long after I got into my Eroski/mundicamino habit, so I haven't used it much.

As information on the Camino proliferates, my approach is to hunker down and stick with a few gems rather than go flitting from one place to the next because I find it too confusing and too daunting. Buen camino, Laurie

On the mundicamino site, you have the choice of several languages. Just tap the flag of your preferred language. ( Union Jack for English......of course)

For the Camino Francés and a complete list of every type of accommodation within 5km of the path, Miam Miam Dodo. Its in French but easily understood, updated annually and available here

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.