• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

help and advice needed for solo and first time.

puddles91

Time of past OR future Camino
None untill later this month
Hello earthlings,
I'm planning to start my walk in about 2weeks time from Biarritz then walk south south east to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, then from there walk the Camino Francés.
Im not fluent but am decent(/passable) at both French and Spanish, relitively healthy, and head strong.
Ive looked through the threads but cannot find an 'A-Z' and furthermore would love a bit of advice.
First and foremost are there albergues every 20km(a days) walk or so, or will i need a biverwhack/tent? If there are albergues how much will they be a night and what do they provide?
Secondly is there a suggested route (camino Francés); and by that i mean down to the road, path or trail; that i would be able to follow on a map (ordinance survey or similar (what is good and would cover the walk))?
Third and finally, I have gear in all shaped and sizes, but what should i bring, and what should i not?
Third and finally part ii; is there anything ive missed out and should think about/ you think i should know (do i really need credencials/pilgrims passport(can i get it in Biarritz/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port).
Many thanks, im really looking forward to the responses and the next few months.
Regards E.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are answers to all your questions on the forum already. They may not be in the A-Z approach you seem to want, and if you have left some of this basic research until just two weeks before you leave, may be too late to help anyway. That said, one of the more tolerant 'earthlings', as you so quaintly describe us, will probably point you in the right direction when you actually arrive on our planet!

Hello earthlings,
I'm planning to start my walk in about 2weeks time from Biarritz then walk south south east to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, then from there walk the Camino Francés.
Im not fluent but am decent(/passable) at both French and Spanish, relitively healthy, and head strong.
Ive looked through the threads but cannot find an 'A-Z' and furthermore would love a bit of advice.
First and foremost are there albergues every 20km(a days) walk or so, or will i need a biverwhack/tent? If there are albergues how much will they be a night and what do they provide?
Secondly is there a suggested route (camino Francés); and by that i mean down to the road, path or trail; that i would be able to follow on a map (ordinance survey or similar (what is good and would cover the walk))?
Third and finally, I have gear in all shaped and sizes, but what should i bring, and what should i not?
Third and finally part ii; is there anything ive missed out and should think about/ you think i should know (do i really need credencials/pilgrims passport(can i get it in Biarritz/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port).
Many thanks, im really looking forward to the responses and the next few months.
Regards E.
1. If you're walking Camino Frances, there will be plenty of albergues along The Way - some public (municipals and parochials), some private, casa rurals (bed and breakfast), hotels in bigger cities. If you're solo, you'll have many options to start and stop when you like and a single bed will most likely always be available.
2. Camino Frances has plenty of yellow arrows. Plus, other pilgrims will generally be in sight. The Brierley guide has plenty of info to assist you.
3. The lighter your pack the better - 10kg max. Good boots, a good pack, pancho, trekking poles are worthwhile. No need to pack extras - you can always get what you forget along the trail.
3ii. Yes, get a credencial (passport). Many albergues are available only to pilgrims. The credencial is "proof". Plus, there are some great memories reflecting on the many stamps you'll collect.
Lastly, my standard advice is to don't rush. Even though young and fit pilgrims may walk 25k, 30k-40k a day is possible, you'll miss sharing your pilgrimage with all the of other pilgrims you'll be meeting. It may take 5-7 days before you get your rhythm. If you can take the time to let the Camino come to you, you'll have a great trip.
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is Eroski consumer site. It has detailed information about the various caminos in Spain including the Frances.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

The Frances, which starts in SJPdP, is well established and easy to follow.

You can get a credencial and further information from the pilgrim office in SJPdP. You need a credencial to stay at Albergues.

If you have time try to obtain a copy of Brierley's guide. The one advertised on the right side of this webpage.

You don't really need a map. The route is well marked with yellow arrows painted on every intersection. People will redirect you even if unasked. I used my Brierley guide map for planning ... it wasn't needed for navigation.

The only gear you need is toiletries, bedding (most of us bring a sleeping bag), a change of clothes, weather gear such as rain coat, hat, walking shoes, and a back pack to cart it all around with. Most of us bring 'useful' gear that ultimately is mailed home or abandoned.

Albergues typically offer dormitory accommodation that includes a bed with mattress cover and pillow. Many offer blankets for those inevitable cool nights. There are shared toilet facilities. There is often a functioning kitchen but it is usually bare of any utensils ... if you plan to cook you need a pot, kfs, plate, and cup.

Albergues vary in price. An easier answer is most of us budget 30 - 40 euros per day to include Albergues, meals, and incidentals.

Hello earthlings,
- (do i really need credencials/pilgrims passport(can i get it in Biarritz/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port).
Are you intending to walk from Bayonne to SJPP? Most pilgrims take the train or a bus to SJPP. This said, it is perfectly possible. It is called the "Voie de la Nive" (Nive's Way), after a river that goes along. See here (only in French). I have not walked (still) it, but looks interesting, with picturesque landscapes. Probably, you will not meet too many pilgrims there (on the other side, you will meet tons of walkers later....)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another option would be to walk the River Nive towpath from Bayonne to Cambo-les-Bains then follow minor roads to the west of the D918: passing Itxassou, the Pas de Roland, Bidarray and Saint-Etienne-de-Baigorry. Walked that way a couple of years ago. Very enjoyable.

1. Not sure on the walk in France

2. There's a lot of guides and a very good store in SJPdP that sells outdoor gear at remarkably reasonable prices. I personally just bought the Brierly map that has a good layout for each day and skipped ahead a few times. You will meet many many many people who will have lots of maps.

3. As mentioned you can go very very very light packing for the Camino. The next time I go it will just be a couple changes of shorts and shirts and socks, a smartphone, a light sleeping bag some shades and a rain coat in maybe a 30 or 40L pack.

Only other thing I would mention is to take care of your feet as you go. Many many people of all ages were knocked out or gimped at various stages due to not listening to their feet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello earthlings,
Regards E.
Hi. I feel you're overthinking it. Pack 10% of your body weight ( that's all you'll need espec this time of the year). There are plenty of Albergues along the camino frances. Plenty of everything you'll need. This particular camino has become very crowded so in many places seems to run more as a business than as a pilgrim support. Unsurprising really. You could swing out for the camino del Norte or the Primativo which too are busy but way less than camino frances. Or you could just start walking and see what comes your way. Buen camino

There are answers to all your questions on the forum already. They may not be in the A-Z approach you seem to want, and if you have left some of this basic research until just two weeks before you leave, may be too late to help anyway. That said, one of the more tolerant 'earthlings', as you so quaintly describe us, will probably point you in the right direction when you actually arrive on our planet!
no need to be horrible. Im just asking. i dont think that sort of behaviour is what this website/forum wants to promote.

2. There's a lot of guides and a very good store in SJPdP that sells outdoor gear at remarkably reasonable prices. I personally just bought the Brierly map that has a good layout for each day and skipped ahead a few times. You will meet many many many people who will have lots of maps.

3. As mentioned you can go very very very light packing for the Camino. The next time I go it will just be a couple changes of shorts and shirts and socks, a smartphone, a light sleeping bag some shades and a rain coat in maybe a 30 or 40L pack.

Only other thing I would mention is to take care of your feet as you go. Many many people of all ages were knocked out or gimped at various stages due to not listening to their feet.

Thanks for that. ive got a 35l bag that sounds just right. On the note of feet is there any worry about over using one/many pairs socks (bacteria etc. wise) i have heard about the merino socks... i do think i know not to use wet socks too much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@puddles I do not think @dougfitz was being 'horrible' rather blunt perhaps in expressing his opinion but not horrible. Meanwhile, you have been directed to one site that can provide A-Z data on the caminos, http://www.gronze.com/ is another. It is clear from your post that you have little knowledge or understanding of the caminos as yet and I urge you to do some serious research rather than simply piling generic questions onto the forum. Search 'Packing List' and you will find a wealth of resource; use the Tags to take you to specific discussion of Boots, Albergues, Sleeping Bags and even Toilet Paper. And you will find advice on necessary issues such as washing and drying socks.

I wish you a buen camino

The answers to all your questions can be found in the Camino Frances Bible by John Brierly if you don't have This book then I suggest you buy it and use it as the framework for your walk. Walking by yourself is truly joyous BUT ensure you care for your feet, clean socks, Vaseline and blister pads (compeed) the moment (!) a hot spot appears. I walked 2,409 kilometres aged 68 and no blisters. Enjoy your days and enjoy the companions you meet and be a Pilgrim - not necessarily a religious Pilgrim but a Pilgrim nonetheless less. And accept your life will never be the same again
Buen Camino
and may God Bless your endeavours
Owen

@puddles I do not think @dougfitz was being 'horrible' rather blunt perhaps in expressing his opinion but not horrible. Meanwhile, you have been directed to one site that can provide A-Z data on the caminos, http://www.gronze.com/ is another. It is clear from your post that you have little knowledge or understanding of the caminos as yet and I urge you to do some serious research rather than simply piling generic questions onto the forum. Search 'Packing List' and you will find a wealth of resource; use the Tags to take you to specific discussion of Boots, Albergues, Sleeping Bags and even Toilet Paper. And you will find advice on necessary issues such as washing and drying socks.

I wish you a buen camino
indeed incorrect rhetoric on my behalf, pardon me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Puddles- check the resources page of this forum. There is a great list of albuergues that also gives distance by stage and services available- that document was invaluable to me. There is also a document that lists stages with both distance and elevation. And a list of 'favorite' albuerges, which isn't comprehensive but has some interesting recommendations.
If you want some inspiration for doing this solo, check out this advice from solo female pilgrims (including me). There are links on the bottom of the post that will take you to additional resources, including my packing list.
http://wayfaringviews.com/walking-the-camino-de-santiago-solo/

Buen Camino

Don't worry about dougfitz. But he is entertaining.

From reading many of his posts I would agree. I would add that he is also very experienced, rational, analytical, perceptive, and very generous in sharing his knowledge with others. Perhaps his most particular gift to this forum is his willingness to express openly and very directly opinions which many of us share but are reluctant to post in public. A trait which I for one find refreshing.

Hola Puddles - congratulations you are about to embark on a great (personal) adventure and you have landed a possibly the greatest Camino de Santiago resource there is. My forum colleagues have (in most cases) offered you sensible, open, honest advice. Take sometime to digest the pieces that appeal - reject the ones that don't. Once you leave either St Jean or Pamplona (depending upon where you join the Camino Frances) you will have route markings all the way to Santiago; you will have an opportunity to meet and converse with fellow pilgrims from (possibly) 190 countries. For the most part they will welcome you with open arms; a cold beer or glass of vino tino (red wine); advice on blister treatments and recommended places to sleep and places to eat.
The best advice I saw - take it slow and steady - you are about to traverse 750 km and 1500 years of Spanish/Iberian Peninsular history (and some archaeology thats over 500,000 years old) so stop and smell the roses, the wine, the churches along The Way. Buen Camino. :);):Do_O

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would suggest to buy a guide book about your chosen camino(s) and read it through, many things will become clearer to you after that. Second, like others have suggested, read through the forum, most sub-forums have so called sticky posts on top which normally answer the most important/frequent questions on that topic. After that make a list with specific questions you still have and I am sure many of us are willing to answer them. Buen Camino, SY

thank you will bare that in mind. whats the shop you were refering to called?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you have an android device can I suggest you upload this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

It is free (the developer does ask for a donation and it is certainly worth giving one) and you can download a map that will work without WiFi, shows all the hostels, prices, phone numbers, exact locations on the road, etc., etc.

Will need a few hours of working with to uncover everything it can offer you.

I hope this will help.

Hello earthlings,
Regards E.

Hello @puddles91, hope you're making progress with your research! It's worth doing a bit of homework before you leave, especially since your first few days will be on a road less travelled.

There's no A-Z here, but if you use the search function for specific queries (e.g. gear lists) you should find what you need.

Are you flying into Biarritz? If so, you could consider taking the no.14 Chronobus to Bayonne and beginning your Camino there. You can pick up your credential/pilgrim passport at the cathedral and they will also give you some information about the walking route/accommodation between Bayonne to St. Jean. It's the Voie de la Nive. Here's some information that may be of help: http://vppyr.free.fr/pages_transversales/voie_nive/vnive.php?etp=accueil It follows the same route as the Camino del Baztan until Ustaritz.

Buen Camino.

Edit: just found this thread which I think will help you: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-voie-de-la-nive-aka-camino-roncesvalles.37872/

Last edited:
Hi Puddles - don't be too concerned by suggestions on here that your planning may be a little late (it is you know ;)), or less than friendly responses, it is a mixed and open forum and everyone has an opinion .. there are many pilgrims who just 'go' spontaneously and seem to survive so don't be too concerned, you can learn as you go if you wish.

Basics are these
You don't have to buy lots of new and expensive kit you only need to wear what is comfortable and light - especially footwear .. though you may want to invest in new trekking socks.
When you pack start with a light rucksack and only pack what you will need, don't pack any "just in case" items .. as a rough guide it is 'wear one, carry one'. New pilgrims tend to overpack and that extra weight they needlessly carry can cause physical harm - so don't do it! Pack light .. no, Puddles, listen to me, pack light!!
Include a small first aid kit and toilet paper. Take plastic rubbish bags with you so that you can keep items in your pack waterproofed.
The Camino is a cash economy so carry cash with you, don't expect to be able to use a card. and you may want to separate your cash so that you have day to day available and your reserve well hidden.
When you are walking listen to your body .. at the first sign of twinges or soreness stop! and take care of it, especially your feet.
When you start off take the first few days, even the first ten days, easy, walk in a relaxed manner and take it easy - it isn't a race.
The Brierley guide for the Camino Frances has lots and lots of excellent information in it.
From St Jean to Santiago the way is filled with refugios, cafes, bars, - but there are also very long sections where your will be in countryside with no habitation nearby - the path has excellent signage, though one can still make a wrong turn and get lost - if you do just retrace your steps and get back on the Camino.
If you are friendly, kind, and helpful to others they will reciprocate - so do and be that.
I don't know about the path from Biarritz as it is a road very much less travelled, you may be the only one out there! - but it is worth mentioning that if you are unused to walking and/or you are unused to long distance walking alone carrying all your gear then you may do better - only you can decide - to take the train to St Jean and start from there.
This forum has all the information you could possibly need so do some searching - try putting in "packing list" into the search box, for instance.

and - Buen Camino!! :):):)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back