Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help between Piñeiro and Camiño Grande

peregrina2000

Staff member
On the long day between Monforte de Lemos and Chantada, there is what seems to be the "black hole of the Camino de Invierno."

All is (basically) well as the Camino takes you through A Vide, past the Pazo de O Reguengo, through the hamlet of Castrotañe, and to Piñeiro with its nice picnic spot near a fountain. But then, the trouble starts. Between Piñeiro and the next little hamlet of Camiño Grande, where there is a mojón, it´s unmarked, muddy, full of brambles, etc.

I´ve read the reports of a number of pilgrims (haven´t heard from KinkyOne yet, though, maybe he made it unscathed) and have yet to find anyone who can give a good description of how to make it through this maze. Everyone gets lost, gets muddy, falls down, gets scratched up, etc., etc. On my Camino de Invierno, I made it, magically, after nearly tumbling down into a quagmire like path, but I have no idea how I did it and cannot provide any directions. I remember emerging into a little place with a few houses (Camiño Grande) and seeing a mojón and rejoicing. The very talkative señora confirmed that it´s a mess and everyone gets lost. She was sympathetic but unable to tell me how it should be walked.

If you have been through this stretch recently and can help me with some instructions for the guide, it would be wonderful. Thanks, guys. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been searching on the internet and have come up with some pictures and text that might help clarify the stage. This person walked in dry weather, though, so some if you walked with four feet of mud and muck like I did, you'll have to do some mental adjustments.

One thing that does seem to be the case is that there appear to be more arrows!

http://www.tumbarumba.co.uk/PILGRIM WALKS/Camino 2014 Part 2/Day 9 Monforte to Belesar.htm
Laurie, sorry for keeping you waiting for so long. Hope to continue tomorrow with my postings from A Pobra to Castrotane. Next Stage is to Chantada and as I remember now (without my diary, photos and GPS track) there wasn't any blank spots... Well, I guess we'll all just have to wait ;)

Have a nice day!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@peregrina2000
One more thing that comes to my mind if you can help me. Don't know whether you've walked de la Lana already and if you did, how would youcompare it to Invierno? Just thinking of my next year Camino possibilities and by all means don't want to hijack the thread, though...

@peregrina2000
One more thing that comes to my mind if you can help me. Don't know whether you've walked de la Lana already and if you did, how would youcompare it to Invierno? Just thinking of my next year Camino possibilities and by all means don't want to hijack the thread, though...

Hi, KinkyOne,
I haven't walked La Lana yet, but my guess is that it would be more like the Vdlp or Levante just because of where it is. I am considering it for next year, too, but my list is still pretty long! Looking forward to leaving Pobra with you! Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back