• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Blisters between the small toes?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
On my last Camino I had horrible blisters between the middle and 4th toe, and under the latter. Basically the whole toe was raw. I've never had this before, in spite of relatively recently treking in Ladakh (3 years before), and a lot of backpacking and marathons in my 20s and 30s (that was some time ago ;)). Same boots and sock system as 'usual.'
Has anyone had experience with successfully preventing these? Leaving soon and am putting together my first-aid/foot kit....really don't want to repeat the experience if I can avoid it; it was pretty excruciating.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There was a very good thread recently about prophylactic or preventative taping, but it didn't come up when I searched. Someone else might recall where to find it and post a link back to it.

As for strapping, I have done this regularly for long distance competitive walks, but didn't do it at the start of the CF in 2010. I blistered wearing sandals around Pamplona, right at the very start! Since then I have taped any blister prone areas using either athletic strapping tape or Micropore (tm) or a similar paper based tape.

For toes, after cleaning and drying the toe, I first apply a layer of tape along the top, front and then underneath the toe. Smooth this down and trim away any excess. Then apply the next layer of tape around the toe starting from one side near the top, and ending on the other side so there is some overlap. Smooth and trim any excess.

While I haven't used this next approach, I have helped people who have. For the smaller toes, particularly the two smallest, take a piece of hikers wool and place this between the toes after doing the first (longitudinal) strapping. Then strap two toes together with the lateral strapping.

Invariably with toes, it is always easier if you can get someone's help!

Edit: I remove athletic strapping tape every day or so and leave it off for a while. I have read that it is breathable, but I don't like leaving it on for long periods of time.

If I use Fixomull or Micropore, I am happier to leave it on for longer.

As for using duct tape, I wouldn't. It's not designed for medical applications, and I would prefer to carry strapping tape in any case. If you do use it, I would recommend removing it daily.

Last edited:
On my last Camino I had horrible blisters between the middle and 4th toe, and under the latter. Basically the whole toe was raw. I've never had this before, in spite of relatively recently treking in Ladakh (3 years before), and a lot of backpacking and marathons in my 20s and 30s (that was some time ago ;)). Same boots and sock system as 'usual.'
Has anyone had experience with successfully preventing these? Leaving soon and am putting together my first-aid/foot kit....really don't want to repeat the experience if I can avoid it; it was pretty excruciating.
I had this same problem with my small toe which turns under my fourth toe. On my last camino I purchased some five toe socks by Injinji (purchased through REI in the US). They are generally used for running so you may find them under running gear. I used these as liner socks under smart wool socks. I also used a product called "Glide" on my feet and between my toes before putting on my socks (it comes in a stick form) - probably over-kill but I really didn't want the toe problem again. It solved my problem and I had zero blisters! On previous caminos I also used moleskin whenever I felt a hot spot and prevented blisters from forming on my heel and the ball of my foot. I leave for the Via de la Plata and Camino Sanbres on Wednesday and will be using this system again. I hope this helps.
Buen Camino!
Laura

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my last camino I took some 'gel tubes' - available at a pharmacy. They fit right over the whole toe, you cut them to the length you need.

I didn't need them but gave them to 2 pilgrims who had blisters on their toes - they said they really helped. I'll include them in my kit this year as well.

Having had terrible blisters on my first camino, I tried a product similar to "Glide" this year (Silic 15 - available in Australia) and didn't have a single blister. When my Silic 15 ran out I replaced it with vaseline. I used it everyday - sometimes twice!

buen camino

On my last Camino I had horrible blisters between the middle and 4th toe, and under the latter. Basically the whole toe was raw..

You can get blisters any place that things rub. Do you actually mean between the toes? Not the top or bottom of the toe? Doesn't that mean the toe boxes of your shoes are too small?

Thanks all, for the suggestions, a big help. I'll take the lot and hope for the best.
Nico, they're weird blisters--yes, between the toes and also spreading to under one of then; it seems more like pinch or shear force rather than rubbing. The toe boxes are quite comfortable, definitely not too small, but also not too big.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are you taking a shower at night or in the morning? If in the morning then your feet will be soft and if there is any residual damp between your toes then they will be more likely to blister. I shower at night and powder my feet, then check that all is clean and dry (no residual powder) between the toes next morning and all is well.

Thanks falcon, I did.....unfortunately it did NOT work. Sigh. And Tia, I shower at night. But thanks so much for your suggestions, both. No easy answers, I guess. Taping and padding and keeping the toes from trodding on each other...
And Tia, wishing you a very happy and healthy return to the road this year...muy buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kia Ora, Lise...
Now why didn't I think of that? A very Kiwi solution. ;)
Thank you! I'll have an array of possibilities. Hopefully the toes will be happier this time!

Bandaids

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ouch I know these blisters well. My little toes tend to curl and get squashed beneath the 4th toe as I walk. I have had great relief with Injinji brand toe socks. I wear them as liners. They are thin breathable ”gloves” for your feet that protect by providing friction barriers between your toes. So far these have saved my little toes from being brutalized by their neighbors.
You might also consider carrying hikers wool, a long ribbon of soft carded wool. Pull off a small section and use it to reposition or pad your toes so they don’t rub against each other.
Recently I have been trying out a thick cream product called Hikers Goo. So far it seems to last a long time and creates some nice slippage but the jury is still out on that.

In my Mom's Family, our Little Toes curls under the next toes.
It always produces a Blister.

What worked for me was to grease my Little Toes every morning.

This year, I am going to try out Silicone Gel Little Toe Separator
1566236954906.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have had great relief with Injinji brand toe socks. I wear them as liners. They are thin breathable ”gloves” for your feet that protect by providing friction barriers between your toes. So far these have saved my little toes from being brutalized by their neighbors.
Thanks, Mar!
This is an old thread...and I've long since figured out a routine: so reporting back about what works for me: Taping the toes with paper tape and then lambswool around the 2 most affected toes.
Ininji socks? Love 'em or hate 'em - I tried them and and I'm afraid I'm in the latter category.

I have used a New Zealand Wool product called Wűru. Wrap a bit around the problem area on my foot. Eazy peazy.
hikers wool
Just...yes. This is a low tech, breathable, and inexpensive remedy that really works.

And this site is a goldmine of information. It bears re-posting again and again:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.