• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help bring the Camino experience to Perth

robert562016

Time of past OR future Camino
walking in may and June 2016
Hi Everyone,

Maybe you can help?

I used my long service leave this year to walk the Camino Frances and the Camino Portugues. It was a joyous life changing experience. I would like to have that experience to Perth. Somebody has already had a go with the Camino Salvado, which goes from Subiaco to New Norcia - it's a route that is a genuine religious pilgrimage, but which is really only walkable in the cooler months of the year. It's also hard to arrange accomodation. The website has an organising plan that starts months before the walk. Instead, I rather like the idea of walking from Two Rocks to Mandurah. The stops might be as follows:

Two Rocks - Mindarie (26 km)
Mindarie - Scarborough (26 km)
Scarborough - Fremantle (20 km)
Fremantle - Rockingham (30km)
Rockingham - Mandurah (31km)

Why?
  • Both Two Rocks and Mandurah are served by the Perth public transport system making for easy entry and exit
  • The entire walk would be along the coast so it's doable even in hot weather - if you get hot, get wet!
  • There are backpacker hostels in Scarborough, Cottesloe and Fremantle so there are places to sleep along the way.
  • There are plenty of services along the way (shops, cafes, water fountains etc).
  • It's about 120km, so it's a nice length.
  • It could done in either direction.
What's missing? Only the right sort of accommodation.

To my mind, the accommodation is what makes the Camino in Spain so good. It makes it so easy for walkers of all abilities to just keep walking. The limit of one night in a hostel, camino passport required, means that hostels are full of like minded people doing the same thing - positive, healthy, walking.

The backpacker hostels often embody a different spirit - sometimes involving little other than drinking and "partying". The only campsite I know of on the route (there may be others) is at Burns Beach, and they charge $60 just to pitch a tent for the night.

So what I'm looking for are a few kind, brave souls to volunteer to have ambulatory strangers sleep in their houses ("albergues"), or perhaps in their back yards, for a small fee, say $20-$30. Particularly needed are places to stay in Mindarie and Rockingham.

I'd like to get Tourism WA on board eventually - maybe they could issue a "credencial" to people, and only those with the credencial get the contact details of the "albergues". In the meantime, I could up a website where people only get the contact details if they email first. I'll set up a website to promote the route and the idea in the next week or so.

This is all very embryonic. I'm going to start this weekend by walking Two Rocks to Mindarie, and I'll do each stage over the coming weeks and report back here. I won't get 5 days in a row off until Christmas, but I can't wait till then :)

Please reply if you think you can help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Novel idea, hope it gets off the ground - I live along that piece of coast. Haven't got any ideas for you but might have down the track. I think past Freo there are a few budget accommodation places and caravan parks.

I agree that the Camino Salvado is a true religious based Camino and it isn't walkable as an individual. My understanding is that you need to be in an organised group and accommodation is difficult and sparse - so the Camino is not open to the individual to walk independently. I would love to walk it as the trail passes through country that is dear to me and my ancestors - but would prefer to do so independently, so I will wait.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. If you have any walking friends that have places along the coast, you might mention this to them. Who knows? They might be interested in hosting walkers. Maybe I'll start an albergue in Rockingham if the idea takes off!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

So what I'm looking for are a few kind, brave souls to volunteer to have ambulatory strangers sleep in their houses ("albergues"), or perhaps in their back yards, for a small fee, say $20-$30....

Why even not just a donation box? Good idea, wish you all the best and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

@robert562016, I applaud your endeavour and motivation in proposing this, but must admit to being in two minds about it. The reason that I say this is that I think the current work by different communities in Perth on the Camino Salvado and Wittenoom Way should be supported in the first instance. Both of these have been established with a clear grounding in the historical development of Christian religious life following the establishment of the Swan River settlement. They both appear to have solid support from their respective church communities, as well as acknowledging the spiritual significance of country to traditional owners.

In contrast, what you are proposing is just a series of long day walks along the coast. Physically, it is likely to be more harsh in summer than walking the Camino Salvado or parts of the Bibbulman Track, and it seems devoid of religious, heritage and other coherent cultural significance.

The idea that people will open up their homes is wonderfully romantic, but might just prove fanciful at the price point you have suggested. A quick search on AirBNB shows ample accommodation sharing possibilities in the overnight locations you have suggested, but generally the lowest costs are from around 250% to 400% of the contributions you suggest might be reasonable. I suspect that anyone who is already thinking of providing B&B style accommodation would find this an unattractive proposition. Whether or not people would be tempted to walk this route over other, potentially far more attractive, long walks in the Perth region with somewhat higher accommodation costs would be a major test for your proposal.

There are issues with other parts of what you are suggesting that need further development, which you already seem to know from the tone of your post.

I think some of these issues could be addressed, but equally clearly I think that supporting the existing initiatives should be a higher priority than a new initiative that appears to have no significance in the religious, historical or other cultural development of the area.

Hi Everyone,

Maybe you can help?

I used my long service leave this year to walk the Camino Frances and the Camino Portugues. It was a joyous life changing experience. I would like to have that experience to Perth. Somebody has already had a go with the Camino Salvado, which goes from Subiaco to New Norcia - it's a route that is a genuine religious pilgrimage, but which is really only walkable in the cooler months of the year. It's also hard to arrange accomodation. The website has an organising plan that starts months before the walk. Instead, I rather like the idea of walking from Two Rocks to Mandurah. The stops might be as follows:

Two Rocks - Mindarie (26 km)
Mindarie - Scarborough (26 km)
Scarborough - Fremantle (20 km)
Fremantle - Rockingham (30km)
Rockingham - Mandurah (31km)

Why?
  • Both Two Rocks and Mandurah are served by the Perth public transport system making for easy entry and exit
  • The entire walk would be along the coast so it's doable even in hot weather - if you get hot, get wet!
  • There are backpacker hostels in Scarborough, Cottesloe and Fremantle so there are places to sleep along the way.
  • There are plenty of services along the way (shops, cafes, water fountains etc).
  • It's about 120km, so it's a nice length.
  • It could done in either direction.
What's missing? Only the right sort of accommodation.

To my mind, the accommodation is what makes the Camino in Spain so good. It makes it so easy for walkers of all abilities to just keep walking. The limit of one night in a hostel, camino passport required, means that hostels are full of like minded people doing the same thing - positive, healthy, walking.

The backpacker hostels often embody a different spirit - sometimes involving little other than drinking and "partying". The only campsite I know of on the route (there may be others) is at Burns Beach, and they charge $60 just to pitch a tent for the night.

So what I'm looking for are a few kind, brave souls to volunteer to have ambulatory strangers sleep in their houses ("albergues"), or perhaps in their back yards, for a small fee, say $20-$30. Particularly needed are places to stay in Mindarie and Rockingham.

I'd like to get Tourism WA on board eventually - maybe they could issue a "credencial" to people, and only those with the credencial get the contact details of the "albergues". In the meantime, I could up a website where people only get the contact details if they email first. I'll set up a website to promote the route and the idea in the next week or so.

This is all very embryonic. I'm going to start this weekend by walking Two Rocks to Mindarie, and I'll do each stage over the coming weeks and report back here. I won't get 5 days in a row off until Christmas, but I can't wait till then :)

Please reply if you think you can help.
Hi Robert.....would you like to join us on Sunday morning -30th October, at Botanicals Cafe in Kings Park - we are the Australian Pilgrims on the Camino and the Western Australian Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook groups....we hold these Camino get togethers on the Last Sunday of each Month. I am sure that there will be quite a few members who would love to discuss this idea with you.....we are all keen walkers. Susanawee ....ps. please respond via private message on facebook or my email - susanawee@gmail.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Novel idea, hope it gets off the ground - I live along that piece of coast. Haven't got any ideas for you but might have down the track. I think past Freo there are a few budget accommodation places and caravan parks.

I agree that the Camino Salvado is a true religious based Camino and it isn't walkable as an individual. My understanding is that you need to be in an organised group and accommodation is difficult and sparse - so the Camino is not open to the individual to walk independently. I would love to walk it as the trail passes through country that is dear to me and my ancestors - but would prefer to do so independently, so I will wait.

Good luck.
Hi Ellerby....The Camino Salvado or The Pilgrim Trail as it is also known, can now be walked independently, but, there is little accommodation along the route - I am not sure whether or not camping is allowed but you could make enquiries in that respect. Wondering if you would like to join one of our group get-togethers at Botanicals Cafe in Kings Park...Thee is one this coming Sunday 30th October. - Australian Pilgrims on the Camino and Western Australian Pilgrims on the Camino facebook groups. We have these get togethers regularly on the last Sunday of each month and also other get togethers and quite a few urban and bush walks.....cheers Susanawee.

It's taken me a long time to get myself together to organise this but it's on. I'm walking the Perth coast starting Easter Saturday (15th April) in Two Rocks, and ending up in Mandurah on Tuesday 19th April, with an option to extend to Dawesville the following day. I've booked in hostels in Scarborough and Fremantle (the Fremantle prison hostel looks awesome) and airbnb in Rockingham and Mindarie.

I'm blogging it at https://perthcoastwalk.wordpress.com/

So if you're looking for a walk where are lots of places to stay and eat along the way with very little advance planning required, entry and exit via public transport, plus the chance to swim lots, or maybe just to train or keep yourself in shape until your next pilgrimage, this could be the walk for you. Hope to see you on the way!

It's taken me a long time to get myself together to organise this but it's on. I'm walking the Perth coast starting Easter Saturday (15th April) in Two Rocks, and ending up in Mandurah on Tuesday 19th April, with an option to extend to Dawesville the following day. I've booked in hostels in Scarborough and Fremantle (the Fremantle prison hostel looks awesome) and airbnb in Rockingham and Mindarie.

I'm blogging it at https://perthcoastwalk.wordpress.com/

So if you're looking for a walk where are lots of places to stay and eat along the way with very little advance planning required, entry and exit via public transport, plus the chance to swim lots, or maybe just to train or keep yourself in shape until your next pilgrimage, this could be the walk for you. Hope to see you on the way!
Hi Robert, where do you estimate that you may be by Monday 17th April.......sounds as though you will be walking pretty fast, but, I may be able to join for a small part of the walk. Cheers for now and all the very best.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Robert, where do you estimate that you may be by Monday 17th April.......sounds as though you will be walking pretty fast, but, I may be able to join for a small part of the walk. Cheers for now and all the very best.

Hi Susanna, great to hear from you. On Monday we'll walk Fremantle to Rockingham. Tuesday is Rockingham to Mandurah. I may yet decide to extend from Mandurah to Dawesville for a 6 day walk, depending on the general level of enthusiasm and availability (and price) of accommodation in Mandurah.

Hi Susanna, great to hear from you. On Monday we'll walk Fremantle to Rockingham. Tuesday is Rockingham to Mandurah. I may yet decide to extend from Mandurah to Dawesville for a 6 day walk, depending on the general level of enthusiasm and availability (and price) of accommodation in Mandurah.

Hi Susanna, it'd be great to see you! Here's the plan:
  • Saturday 15/4/17: Two Rocks to Mindarie (airbnb)
  • Sunday 16/4/17: Mindarie to Scarborough (western beach lodge)
  • Monday 17/4/17: Scarborough to Fremantle (Fremantle prison hostel)
  • Tuesday 18/4/17: Fremantle to Rockingham (airbnb)
  • Wednesday 19/4/17: Rockingham to Mandurah
Thanks for following the blog - send me an email from there and I'll email you my phone number back to contact me on the day(s) to meet up!

Hi Susanna, it'd be great to see you! Here's the plan:
  • Saturday 15/4/17: Two Rocks to Mindarie (airbnb)
  • Sunday 16/4/17: Mindarie to Scarborough (western beach lodge)
  • Monday 17/4/17: Scarborough to Fremantle (Fremantle prison hostel)
  • Tuesday 18/4/17: Fremantle to Rockingham (airbnb)
  • Wednesday 19/4/17: Rockingham to Mandurah
Thanks for following the blog - send me an email from there and I'll email you my phone number back to contact me on the day(s) to meet up!

Would love to have walked with you for a day but will be on the VDLP

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.