• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

HELP! Camino Frances Baggage Query- Urgent!

MissX

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi everyone,
I’ve found myself in a very sticky situation. I need your help!

I’m about to start the Camino Frances very soon from SJPP, but my hiking rucksack is extremely heavy. Having seen everyone wear those huge rucksacks and being very small myself, I can’t carry it. It’s checked in at the airport and I want to arrive at SJPP and get it sent back to the UK. I’m taking a smaller day pack.

What are my options? Here’s the problem- companies like MyBaggage won’t accept any liquid, cosmetics, toiletries, nail varnish, battery power banks etc as they’re ‘prohibited’. All these things are in my luggage!
Should I:

a) Send everything via post office in France- will they accept the above prohibited items back to UK?

b) Use courier service (such as MyBaggage) to send my big 40-60L rucksack to a friend in an EU country then pick up from them? Is the rule only EU to UK or can I send anything EU to EU?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could have it transported every day via one of the many companies that provide this service.

You could have it transported every day via one of the many companies that provide this service.
I don’t want to do that, it’s expensive and stressful. You need to know final destination point, very stressful, don’t know which route I will take each day or how long, if rest days etc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

If you plan on making it to Santiago de Compostela, you can also take advantage of Ivar's luggage storage service once you're in Spain*, which is what I did with some superfluous items once I got to Pamplona.

Get a mailing box at the Correos office, load it up with whatever you don't need, and follow the instructions here - you can then pick up the box in Santiago and have it sent back home from there (assuming you will still want whatever liquids, etc. are in it).

I don’t want to do that, it’s expensive and stressful. You need to know final destination point, very stressful, don’t know which route I will take each day or how long, if rest days etc

I thought it would be more expensive and stressful than it was, but at 5 euro a day it wasn't bad at all - and companies like Jacotrans and Correos make the process very simple and worry-free. That said, you do still need to know where you'll be ending up every evening. In your case, you may want to consider planning your itinerary for those first few days from SJPP to Pamplona (which is a good idea anyway), then using Correos to send your pack/box to Ivar in Santiago from there.

* Edit: You can also just have your pack/box sent from the post office in SJPP (not sure why I thought you had to be in Spain first before doing so). Info on opening times of the SJPP post office is here.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back