• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

help...camino litoral planning

Shaska

Time of past OR future Camino
Good morning to you all, I'll start my Camino from Porto and since I don't have enough days I have to cut a couple of stops.
Which stops of the Camino Portuguese della Costa you liked less?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For us, the least favorite was definitely from Baiona to Vigo. The beach at Nigrán is like a big public beach anywhere and the suburbs of Vigo are not particularly attractive. The walk from Vigo to Redondela, however, offers very nice views from the forested hillsides along the Vigo estuary.

For us, the least favorite was definitely from Baiona to Vigo. The beach at Nigrán is like a big public beach anywhere and the suburbs of Vigo are not particularly attractive. The walk from Vigo to Redondela, however, offers very nice views from the forested hillsides along the Vigo estuary.
I agree, that was a long, hot walk, mostly on unshaded sidewalks.
Really enjoyed Oia to Baiona.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree, that was a long, hot walk, mostly on unshaded sidewalks.
Really enjoyed Oia to Baiona.
Yes, that's a nice stretch. Oia and Baiona are both very attractive towns and there's a beautiful view as you round Cabo Silleiro (Cape Silleiro) to enter Baiona.

Thankyou very much

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with @kenwilltravel, that the stretch to Vigo, is least interesting! Also It's hard to say which stage is my favorite, as most of the rest of the stages are really enjoyable. However, I always put in my plug for the Senda Litoral out of Porto, along the River Douro, which is quite lovely, instead of the usual advice to take the metro to Matosinhos. If you like to walk along waterways, including lovely beaches, and you have the time for this day, IMHO it is worth the time taken to do it!

One thousand percent agree with Ken on this

I always put in my plug for the Senda Litoral out of Porto, along the River Douro, which is quite lovely, instead of the usual advice to take the metro to Matosinhos. If you like to walk along waterways, including lovely beaches, and you have the time for this day, IMHO it is worth the time taken to do it!
This stretch gets a bad rap because of the commercial buildings and traffic when you leave Porto's Cais da Ribeira area, where the restaurants and bars are located. But once you reach the turn at the Foz do Douro, where the Douro meets the Atlantic, it's quite scenic and you've got a nice walk along the esplanade (and boardwalk) all the way to Matosinhos. There are two 16th century Portuguese forts along the way and you have the ocean view always on the left. As Elle says, it's worth doing if you've got the time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We began out walk from Porto AirPort. There you will save one day. Then we took a buss from Baiona to Vigo and walked 16 km in the same day to Redondela.

It's always my suggestion that rather than skipping stages you simply start closer to Santiago. There is something special about a long continuous walk.
I agree totally with your assessment. I think a camino should be as uncomplicated and simple as possible. It is very important to follow your natural rhythm and pace and have your mind as free from distractions as possible. Arranging more transportation etc just detracts from a pilgrim's camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You might want to check distance requirements before you skip anything North of the river (border) unless you don't care about getting your Compostela. That said, Vigo isn't the best part of that Camino.

However, I always put in my plug for the Senda Litoral out of Porto, along the River Douro, which is quite lovely, instead of the usual advice to take the metro to Matosinhos. If you like to walk along waterways, including lovely beaches, and you have the time for this day, IMHO it is worth the time taken to do it!
I also walked to Matosinhos from Porto, Elle, along the waterways and boardwalks after reading your nice write up of your own experience.

Baiona to Vigo for me was one long downpour. I was actually quite grateful to be in the suburbs of Vigo.

Here's my entry for the day:
"It was Altus on, head down, and rev up the walking machine. Past gun turrets pointing out to sea (too far away for photos) and the lovely town of Baiona with its fortress castle - invaders from the sea will be repelled! Then a pretty C15th bridge and the beachside suburbs of Vigo. Just as I’d had enough (and it was teeming - rains simply pouring off me) I saw a restaurant with a fire going inside - and “habitaciones” upstairs. What a find, what relief. Ate the most wonderful meal of soup (with grelos - the local green vegetable, and potatoes) followed by mariscos, coffee and oruja de hierbas (herb flavoured fire water). I then staggered upstairs to my cosy warm room, with underfloor heating. And watched Netflix as the rain continues to pour down."

So I really have no idea if it is a bad part of the walk, which all goes to show that every day can be wonderful in its own way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might want to check distance requirements before you skip anything North of the river (border) unless you don't care about getting your Compostela. That said, Vigo isn't the best part of that Camino.
If you're walking the coastal and want to get your Compostela, Vigo marks the limit of the 100-km walking rule. You can cut out anything south of Vigo, but you need to get your two stamps a day starting in Vigo.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back