• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Coimbra is $$$ in mid-May

Bohemiana

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino will be April 2015
We are beginning in Tomar on May 14. I have reservations along the way the next two nights (Cortica and Ansaio). But after that I was planning to book as we go the day prior. However, there must be some major event in Coimbra the rest of that week because everything is booked or $200 or much more per night anywhere within 50+ kilometers of Coimbra. I’m thinking there is no option but to skip ahead. Has anyone else run into this? I’ve researched what is going on that week but don’t find anything specific besides graduation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They are expensive because the hugely popular Coldplay are in concert at the big main stadium in Coimbra over that time. Tickets for their concert are even more expensive than accommodation prices - but then again, to see and hear Viva la Vida live,,,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you will find that it is the week of the University of Coimbra graduation ceremonies. There are already a range of activities underway. I am staying there with my wife, but we have a long term booking done months ago. We are seeing what I expect are many more families, in addition to the normal tourist traffic, around the university and older sections of the town.
They are expensive because the hugely popular Coldplay are in concert at the big main stadium in Coimbra over that time. Tickets for their concert are even more expensive than accommodation prices - but then again, to see and hear Viva la Via live,,,
This is part of the graduation celebrations. There are concerts most nights.

On booking.com Bus Station Suites and Studios, with a fine rating of 8.5 (despite the somewhat unassuming name), is available for 118 Euros for 2 people on May 17.

I’ve researched what is going on that week but don’t find anything specific besides graduation.
And there’s your answer. Coimbra is the biggest university town in Portugal and graduation is a huge deal, with street parades and many other activities.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for the explanation!!

So we made this change…we will walk in May 14 from Tomar to Cortica; May 15 Cortica to Ansaio but then take a taxi to Coimbra for 2 nights before the prices skyrocket. (We just booked for $70 per night in Coimbra). But, after that the entire week is booked or crazy expensive anywhere within 50 miles of Coimbra so we are going to jump to Porto and continue from there up the coastal route. Thoughts?

How long are these ceremonies likely to last? I'd like to stop in Coimbra nearer the end of May but will skip if necessary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The pilgrim hostel in Coimbra was clean and met the needs of a pilgrim and it is exclusively for pilgrims. I like Coimbra very much it is such a lovely city and I am sure with graduation ceremonies taking place it would be a fun and interesting experience.
Just to echo @lt56ny, this stretch of the Caminho has albergues, the one right outside Coimbra, one near Mealhada, one in Águeda Take a look at Gronze.com

Some on the forum have given bad reviews of the Coimbra to Porto stretch, but I enjoyed it very much and would hate to have to hop ahead. Up to youof course.

How long are these ceremonies likely to last? I'd like to stop in Coimbra nearer the end of May but will skip if necessary.
I looked at room rates May 16-21 and everything around Coimbra (even miles away) are $$$. A hostel bunk was $200. Of course places were booked in advance at a more reasonable price but I didn’t think about it. It’s ok—we are taking the train to Tomar, then taking the train to Coimbra before the rates go up and then heading to Porto to begin.

Just to echo @lt56ny, this stretch of the Caminho has albergues, the one right outside Coimbra, one near Mealhada, one in Águeda Take a look at Gronze.com

Some on the forum have given bad reviews of the Coimbra to Porto stretch, but I enjoyed it very much and would hate to have to hop ahead. Up to youof course.
Those north of Coimbra we’re already booked during the days we needed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I looked at room rates May 16-21 and everything around Coimbra (even miles away) are $$$. A hostel bunk was $200. Of course places were booked in advance at a more reasonable price but I didn’t think about it. It’s ok—we are taking the train to Tomar, then taking the train to Coimbra before the rates go up and then heading to Porto to begin.
I see what you mean. Everything seems to be back to normal from 22nd onwards.

I found an apartment on Trivago & Bookings that is $104 CAN / nite for an entire apartment. Try booking something like that and then you'll be a savior for another pilgrim or two who can stay with you. :)

We are currently in Tomar for 2 nights. There are the celebrations at Fatima this weekend. I think the 'big' day is tomorrow. Will be taking a bus to Fatima to check it out.
Cold Play have picked a good time to hold a concert....!
Both probably explain a hike in prices / availability.
Buen Camino.....😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are currently in Tomar for 2 nights. There are the celebrations at Fatima this weekend. I think the 'big' day is tomorrow. Will be taking a bus to Fatima to check it out.
FYI, the big day in Fátima was today, or perhaps more accurately through the night last night. (I was there yesterday.)

Queima das Fitas, the University of Coimbra graduation and associated celebrations such as concerts, sports competitions, etc goes through to 26 May. Fatima pilgrims will have long gone other than some perhaps walking along the CP route and not along the roads. The Cold Play concerts are part of the Queima das Fintas program. Overall, an entirely predictable part of the annual cycle of life in Coimbra.

Another thumbs up to the coimbra albergue, attached to the monastery.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back