• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Doctor needed

Kelly Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Newbie! Planning on walking in May/June 2017
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I really hurt my ankle walking from Los Arcos to Sansol. Today I can barely hobble a few steps. I want to see a doctor. Does anyone know where the closest one would be to Sansol? Would it be Los Arcos? Can anyone recommend a doctor who preferably speaks English?

Hoping my Camino isn't over :(

Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I really hurt my ankle walking from Los Arcos to Sansol. Today I can barely hobble a few steps. I want to see a doctor. Does anyone know where the closest one would be to Sansol? Would it be Los Arcos? Can anyone recommend a doctor who preferably speaks English?

Thanks
Sorry to learn of your problem.
There is a pharmacy in Sansol which should be able to help you find a doctor and assistance.

The pharmacy address is
Barrio Nuevo, 2,
31220 Sansol

The telephone is
+34 948 64 88 32

Do also ask your hospitalero to help you find a doctor.

Last edited:
Totally agree MS! If hospital recommend then Logrono is your best option. Try the major public hospital accident & emergency! BTW if the doctor says the Camino is over follow that advice. Ankles can take a while to heal! Best of luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Kelly,
Please ask the locals , you will find them very helpful and more than likely drive you where you wish to go,
And if you can't walk bloody stop and rest
There is no rocket science involved in walking each day

Follow the advice above, I met someone with your problem and he didn't heed the Doctors advice, he ended up having to travel home a few days later with worse ankle trouble.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I got in to see a doctor in Viana. Cost was 90 euros. He thinks I may have torn the posterior tibial tendon off the bone, and there is a fracture. He's strapped my ankle/leg up with instructions to rest. If it's not better in 2 days, I need to go to hospital. If it does get better, he says I can resume the Camino if I feel up to it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That could be really good news, let us know how you get on. By the way 90 euros is a smell price to pay.

And, may I say, if you are able to carry on, go to the Pharmacia and ask for a box of Ibuprofeno 600mg. Taken first thing in the morning AFTER FOOD (v. important) it will stop inflammation of the area surrounding the ankle and in doing so will not produce as much pain. You can take painkillers in addition to the Ibuprofen.

Kelly, hi - so sorry to hear about your injury. Glad you saw a doctor but I do find his diagnosis extraordinary without an x-ray. Though these well trained and experienced country doctors certainly do know their stuff!! The thing is, if you have torn a tendon off a bone and/or fractured a bone you will not be walking anywhere in two days, your Camino will be over and you on your way home for an x-ray followed by diagnosis and treatment ... so I hope that he has suggested the worst and that the reality is less.

In the hope that it is a lesser trauma the answer is that familiar RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. The doctor has done the compression though you are now a little late for the ice. Rest and elevation are the most important for you - and this does indeed mean rest - not hobbling around town being a tourist - it means elevation and rest - and we all know how hard that is to do.
Ibuprofena as pills and gel - anti-inflammatory topical gel will help as will taking as pills internally - if, and only if you know your body can tolerate them - an easy way to get stomach ulcers otherwise - which is why they are taken with food (immediately before, during, or immediately after a meal and a good habit is to take them during your meal with a large glass of milk added to your meal), and just in case you have never taken them it is worth knowing that a very very few number of people are terribly allergic to them.

The body produces local inflammation after a trauma (as you now know!!). It does this by releasing particular enzymes, one of which produces prostaglandins, which 'make' the inflammation - your body telling you to not use that part of the body works really well!!
So, anti-inflammatories 'switch off' the production of the enzymes and therefore stops inflammation - a neat trick and is why we take them.

You can buy over the counter painkilling anti-inflammatories - NSAIDs .. non-steroidal anti-inflammatories ... at any pharmacy and Voltaren gel seems to be the pilgrim favourite.

I do so hope that you get better really soon ... could I suggest? if no improvement within 48 hours that you get to Logrono hospital and have an x-ray ... and then go from there.

Until then - and it may be best to get to Logrono now anyway - take a taxi, sit in the back with leg across seat - rest that ankle, always put it on a chair when sitting so that it is at waist height, or lie on a bed. When you stand the blood flows down to your feet and it will swell, be painful, and slow healing - so, Kelly, listen now - Rest!!

And I so hope that after just a few days you can be back on Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kelly, hi - so sorry to hear about your injury. Glad you saw a doctor but I do find his diagnosis extraordinary without an x-ray. Though these well trained and experienced country doctors certainly do know their stuff!! The thing is, if you have torn a tendon off a bone and/or fractured a bone you will not be walking anywhere in two days, your Camino will be over and you on your way home for an x-ray followed by diagnosis and treatment ... so I hope that he has suggested the worst and that the reality is less.

In the hope that it is a lesser trauma the answer is that familiar RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. The doctor has done the compression though you are now a little late for the ice. Rest and elevation are the most important for you - and this does indeed mean rest - not hobbling around town being a tourist - it means elevation and rest - and we all know how hard that is to do.
Ibuprofena as pills and gel - anti-inflammatory topical gel will help as will taking as pills internally - if, and only if you know your body can tolerate them - an easy way to get stomach ulcers otherwise - which is why they are taken with food (immediately before, during, or immediately after a meal and a good habit is to take them during your meal with a large glass of milk added to your meal), and just in case you have never taken them it is worth knowing that a very very few number of people are terribly allergic to them.

The body produces local inflammation after a trauma (as you now know!!). It does this by releasing particular enzymes, one of which produces prostaglandins, which 'make' the inflammation - your body telling you to not use that part of the body works really well!!
So, anti-inflammatories 'switch off' the production of the enzymes and therefore stops inflammation - a neat trick and is why we take them.

You can buy over the counter painkilling anti-inflammatories - NSAIDs .. non-steroidal anti-inflammatories ... at any pharmacy and Voltaren gel seems to be the pilgrim favourite.

I do so hope that you get better really soon ... could I suggest? if no improvement within 48 hours that you get to Logrono hospital and have an x-ray ... and then go from there.

Until then - and it may be best to get to Logrono now anyway - take a taxi, sit in the back with leg across seat - rest that ankle, always put it on a chair when sitting so that it is at waist height, or lie on a bed. When you stand the blood flows down to your feet and it will swell, be painful, and slow healing - so, Kelly, listen now - Rest!!

And I so hope that after just a few days you can be back on Camino.

I bow to your professional knowledge David. (But happy I didn't put my foot in it!!!) OUCH!

Kelly. I too injured my ankle at exactly same place!! I limped into Sansol. I think it was the steep descent into Los Arcos. 1 went back to Los Arcos and spent 3 days in Municipal alb. A Physio doc came there daily to look after all the injured. Each day there was someone hurt. Walked on to Logrono. Hospital and xray. Had to stop there. Took 3 week break in Switzerland. Then back to Logrono. Got to just west of Burgos and to stop again. I am home now. For the past 3 months been seeing docs. Still not sure what my problem is. Very disappointed my Camino was not complete. But.....the care and love people showed me who helped me along the way was amazing. I loved every part of my Camino and will go back to Burgos one day to finish. Wonder how your ankle is???

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.