• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help documenting journey

Delynda Drury

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be enjoying the Camino de Santiago (French Way) next May 2016.
As typical when planning a trip or in this case the pilgrimage, each item packed is essential keeping in mind the weight. We are extremely aware of each ounce and have become quite efficient when it comes to packing. That being said, the more I prepare for this trip, the more I want to record small portions along the way. I normally only take pictures but my mom is elderly and I want to share this experience with her. We don't want to bring our laptop and I know how quickly video taping anything on my iPhone will drain the battery quickly.
What are your suggestions for a small, lightweight and reliable way to record? In addition to the device, where or how would I be able to forward these video clips along our journey?
I value any useful tips available.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can email about 30 seconds with your iphone or ipad. Anyway by wifi.
So what I do together with many others here on the form, we maintain a travelblog with written text and pictures which are easy to upload .
The video I make later at home
.http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl
I used my Iphone and Ipd mini to take vids on our first two caminos but last month I used a Gopro action camera .the quality of this camera is 500% better than an Iphone, and weighs only 130 grams. I wore it at a chestharnas. Worked fine.image.jpg

So what I do together with many others here on the form, we maintain a travelblog with written text and pictures which are easy to upload .
I used my Iphone and Ipd mini to take vids on our first two caminos but last month I used a Gopro action camera .the quality of this camera is 500% better than an Iphone, and weighs only 130 grams. I wore it at a chestharnas. Worked fine.View attachment 19273
Terrific, I was concerned with the brief video lengths from my iPhone. I certainly will wrote along the way as I enjoy writing. Good idea to keep the brief segments and compose the video when I return. Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Its a pilgrimage. So I'm bringing phone only for home contact perhaps once or twice s week. I have A6 €1 notebooks. Write every day. When full, post home. Then buy another. Light. cheap. Easy. won't be deleted by mistake!! Uses no battery.
Burn Camino

Another simple option if both you and your mother have smart phones is to download the free app Viber. I used that two years ago with my iphone, uploaded 20-30 pictures just about every night to a group of family and friends. I didn't send or take too many videos though. Like you I worried about the battery, but never did have a problem with that. You can also call home for free with it, which was VERY useful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another simple option if both you and your mother have smart phones is to download the free app Viber. I used that two years ago with my iphone, uploaded 20-30 pictures just about every night to a group of family and friends. I didn't send or take too many videos though. Like you I worried about the battery, but never did have a problem with that. You can also call home for free with it, which was VERY useful.
Thank you so much. I love this idea.

Thank you so much. I love this idea.
You're welcome. I've used it to stay in touch with camino friends in Australia too, when they went back on the camino a year later.
And this spring, over in Ireland, I again used it as the primary source of staying in touch with family at home. All you need is wifi, which is becoming more and more prevalent on the camino. It can often be found in town squares, as well as many cafes, bars and some albergues.

I note your comment about your mother and little video snips would certainly make the trip come alive.
The GoPro cameras give fantastic quality video. They can be expensive, but if you write to the baggage
handlers in Spain they may be able to sell you mine cheaply ! If you do take one get used to using it before
you go as it's not as intuitive as using a normal camera. ( There's no viewfinder ). OR just use the video
function that's on most modern and light compact cameras.

Take plenty of camera cards with you and change them each week. If you lose the camera or one fails you wont
lose the whole trip. Remove all of them at the end of the trip and carry them in your pocket on the plane home.

I like Cherrys suggestion though. Posting pictures daily really will help your Mum follow your Camino. I'm sure
it will make you feel closer to her as you walk as well. It's not about creating a slick presentation for others, it's
about creating memories. ( That's not expressed too clearly but hopefully it makes sense )

Beun Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used my Iphone and Ipd mini to take vids on our first two caminos but last month I used a Gopro action camera .the quality of this camera is 500% better than an Iphone, and weighs only 130 grams. I wore it at a chestharnas. Worked fine.View attachment 19273
Hi Albertino,
I really appreciate you mentioning the GoPro. I had wondered how that would work. We recently bought a GoPro but haven't used it yet. You are right about it being so small and lightweight. I guess I'd better play around with it to learn how to operate it. Also how many memory cards I'll need to store the videos. Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.