• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Downloading GPS Tracks From Dutch Confraternity

Time of past OR future Camino
I am wondering if anyone might be able to help me get the Camino GPS KML trackfiles downloaded from the Dutch Confraternity website.
B07AC63B-C0D5-403B-AF7C-629FDC106264.pngC317D117-235D-44D8-82EE-59D6A70521B4.png
Per their instruction manual link in the second sentence on the downloads page, I have downloaded the Maps.me app to my iPhone 12, and I have then clicked on the link on the santiago.nl/downloads page under All Pilgrim Routes Spain KML for Maps.me and Google Earth. However, all that I get is a blank page (screen shots attached).

I thought one solution might be in the instructions where they say, “Some files may be zipped. Your phone might not be able to unzip the file. In that case you will first need to download it to your computer, unzip it and then transfer to your phone.”

However, when I download the file to my MacBook Pro it says, “There is no application set to open the document. Search the App Store for an application that can open this document.” But when I click on Search App Store it says “App Not Available. The app is currently not available in your country or region.”

Does anyone have an idea why the file isn’t downloading, and what I can do differently? Thanks for any help you may be able to offer

Deborah
B07AC63B-C0D5-403B-AF7C-629FDC106264.pngC317D117-235D-44D8-82EE-59D6A70521B4.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
NOTE: The screen shots posted after just my first sentence, so please scroll down past the screen shots to read the rest of the post. Thanks.

Deborah

Hi and welcome here.

Did you register and became a member first? Might be a member only privilege?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thomas1962 posted about these GPS tracks on this forum under the title "GPS (in KMZ and in GPX format) tracks of all Spanish camino's in one file." He mentioned in one of his posts that the trackfiles are free, and he included the download link. He didn't mention having to become a member of the Dutch Confraternity, and under the Member Information on their website it doesn't say the trackfiles are a member privilege. So as far as I can tell, unless I'm mistaken, one does not need to become a member to download the files.

I’m Dutch and it’s all free to download. you Can open and see the tracks on Mac or PC by downloading Garmin Basecamp (Apple App Store or www.Garmin.com and after that downloading and installing a free map on http://www.openfietsmap.nl. If you want I can download the gpx files you need and mail them to you

Thanks so much JensNL for your very kind offer. It is greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at downloading GPS tracks to my iPhone, and I really have no idea what I'm doing! The Dutch Confraternity website says the Maps.me app (or Google Earth app which I also have on my iPhone) needs to use the KLM files, not the GPX files, so if you are able to send me the KLM files that would be great.

The Confraternity website says Maps.me is easy to use, so that's why I'm trying to open the files with that app, and I'd like to have them on my iPhone rather than on my computer so I can use my iPhone for navigation on the Camino.

I have downloaded the Spain map on Maps.me, and I was trying to download the Spanish Camino KLM tracks in English from the Confraternity. My current plan is to do the Camino del Norte either this fall or next spring. I live in the U.S. The instructions said if you download the tracks to your iPhone you will get a message that will ask what app to open them with, and you can select Maps.me to somehow connect the tracks files with the Spain map.

If you can possibly send the KLM tracks files to me, I can message you my email address. Just let me know. Thanks again for your help!

Deborah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much JensNL for your very kind offer. It is greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at downloading GPS tracks to my iPhone, and I really have no idea what I'm doing! The Dutch Confraternity website says the Maps.me app (or Google Earth app which I also have on my iPhone) needs to use the KLM files, not the GPX files, so if you are able to send me the KLM files that would be great.

The Confraternity website says Maps.me is easy to use, so that's why I'm trying to open the files with that app, and I'd like to have them on my iPhone rather than on my computer so I can use my iPhone for navigation on the Camino.

I have downloaded the Spain map on Maps.me, and I was trying to download the Spanish Camino KLM tracks in English from the Confraternity. My current plan is to do the Camino del Norte either this fall or next spring. I live in the U.S. The instructions said if you download the tracks to your iPhone you will get a message that will ask what app to open them with, and you can select Maps.me to somehow connect the tracks files with the Spain map.

If you can possibly send the KLM tracks files to me, I can message you my email address. Just let me know. Thanks again for your help!

Deborah
I got there eventually, but it was like giving a monkey a typewriter and waiting for him to complete a first draft of Hamlet. I used an app called ‘GPX viewer’

Thanks for the info, SabineP. I can try GPX viewer, and I am thinking maybe I should try maps/apps specifically recommended for the Del Norte like Wickilocs and Wise Pilgrim.

iI am also planning to continue on from Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia.

Deborah
Hi Deborah,

We had talks elsewhere this week about file formats - it's KML by the way not the Dutch airline ;)

ping me an email address and I'll send you both the KML and KMZ versions both of which will load onto Maps.Me.

Be aware that there are a LOT of Caminos in the file - it might be a bit confusing on a phone!

Edit:

There are also the "facility" files, would you like those too?

1623321988295.png

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hallo Deborah,

I'm willing to help you out, but let's take that one offline. Can you please sent me your email via a personal message.

a few things to consider
- the KML and GPS files can be downloaded by a double-click on the link. The files will be downloaded to your MacBooks Download folder.
- the files contains a very large amount of information and different routes or part of routes. Just putting them on your iPhone will make a mess and cause confusion.
- I suggest that you follow the Basecamp and 'openfietsmap' model first. In that way you can filter and throw away the information not needed.
- please be aware that working with KML and/or GPS file is not that intunative. Basecamp is very handy but can be a pain.

Thanks JensNL and Jeff Crawley. I will message Jeff my email address to send me the files, and I will take Jens NL's advice and use Garmin Basecamp and openfietsmap to open them on my computer first to sort out which routes I want to send to my iPhone to avoid confusion with too many routes on my phone.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Deborah

What you can try as well, Deborah and it might be easier than Basecamp is Google ‘my maps’ (google account needed). You can import the KML files in My Maps and delete from there. You can’t edit the files, that why I use Basecamp.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What you can try as well, Deborah and it might be easier than Basecamp is Google ‘my maps’ (google account needed). You can import the KML files in My Maps and delete from there. You can’t edit the files, that why I use Basecamp.
Thanks for this additional info, JensNL. It's good to have some different options to try.

Just saw this topic. I put the files online and I'm also part of the working group making them. Good to see people using them, and also good to see what are still the difficulties getting them on a phone.
Deborah, did it all work out now with the help of Jens or is there something I can do? If still needed I can send you the unzipped files, also only the Norte file.
The files are indeed open for everyone, not only members of registered persons. We like sharing.
If anyone has any feedback, please let me know. We love to make the files or the manual better. :)

Hi Thomas1962,

Very kind of you to check in with me to see if everything worked out okay. Thanks so much for putting these files online for all of us to use free of charge, and for offering additional help if I was still unable to access the Norte file.

Jens gave me a great deal of excellent advice, and forum member Jeff Crawley sent me the unzipped file for the Norte along with the file for Finisterre and Muxia which I will be continuing on to once I reach Santiago. So everything has been solved, and I now have access to the files.

A couple of things you might want to consider adding to the Manual:

1) It might be very helpful for people to realize in advance that -- as Jen mentioned and Jeff messaged me -- there are around 120 routes or variants in the file download. Both Jens and Jeff suggested downloading the files onto your computer first and then sorting through them, transferring only the ones you need to your phone to avoid confusion and taking up unnecessary memory.

2) Jens had the excellent advice which might be helpful to add to the manual, that for people using Mac computers if you can't open the files once they are downloaded, to use Garmin Basecamp and openfietsmap in order to open them.

Thanks again for making this excellent and valuable resource available to everyone.

Deborah Bennett

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Thomas1962,

Very kind of you to check in with me to see if everything worked out okay. Thanks so much for putting these files online for all of us to use free of charge, and for offering additional help if I was still unable to access the Norte file.

Jens gave me a great deal of excellent advice, and forum member Jeff Crawley sent me the unzipped file for the Norte along with the file for Finisterre and Muxia which I will be continuing on to once I reach Santiago. So everything has been solved, and I now have access to the files.

A couple of things you might want to consider adding to the Manual:

1) It might be very helpful for people to realize in advance that -- as Jen mentioned and Jeff messaged me -- there are around 120 routes or variants in the file download. Both Jens and Jeff suggested downloading the files onto your computer first and then sorting through them, transferring only the ones you need to your phone to avoid confusion and taking up unnecessary memory.

2) Jens had the excellent advice which might be helpful to add to the manual, that for people using Mac computers if you can't open the files once they are downloaded, to use Garmin Basecamp and openfietsmap in order to open them.

Thanks again for making this excellent and valuable resource available to everyone.

Deborah Bennett
Thanks Deborah for your feedback and suggestions.
About your first: we have been thinking a lot how to offer all the tracks. Finaly we indeed made the decision to offer them per country. There are a few reasons for this:
- one does not need to scroll down a lot of listings to see which one exactly is needed. One download and they are all there without missing any part.
- since a few years, phones do have more memory. For most phones now this file is not a problem
- it is difficult to make a donwloadpage with so many downloads
- and most important: at first look it might be confusing to have all the camino's in your app. But know that ones on the camino, you zoom into the place where you are which makes it clear on what route you are and where to go to. You then don't see any other route.

About your second suggestion:
To implement this in the right way, I need a little more info. Can you explain in what way exactly it did help? In what way exactly did it help to open them first in GB? Did that help to get them on your phone?
- it is very difficult to make a downloadpage with
-

Everything you said makes very good sense, Thomas1962. I am sure you know way more about the reasoning behind how everything is set up on the website than I could ever begin to understand.

I am not at all tech savvy, and this was my very first experience trying to download GPS tracks, so I am speaking from a complete beginner's perspective. I am also fairly new to the iPhone, and this will be my very first Camino and my very first experience using GPS tracks, so I am more confused by all of the technical aspects and files than others would be. I am sure there are other people who don't have any difficulty at all downloading the GPS tracks from your website and using them.

As for the Garmin Basecamp suggestion, JensNL offered that advice to me because I had tried to download the GPS tracks on my iPhone 12 and all I got was a blank page on my screen (see screenshots in my original post). Then I tried to download the files to my Macbook Pro and I got an error that there was no app with which to open the file on my computer and to go to the App Store, and then I got an error in the App Store that no app was available in my country (see original post for details) so I had reached a complete dead end with trying to download the files. That is when I reached out for help here on the forum.

As it turned out, both JensNL and Jeff Crawley offered to email me the unzipped files I needed but without their help, as far as I know, I would have needed Garmin Basecamp to be able to open the files on my Macbook Pro to then transfer them to my iPhone.

I hope that helps to explain things, but please feel free to message me if you'd like any further details.

As I mentioned before, I am absolutely thrilled to have this excellent resource available for our use, and I know that since I am just starting out it will take time for me to learn how to use GPS tracks, but I know how important this skill will be in doing the Camino del Norte and then the Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia loop. So thanks again.

All the best,

Deborah

Just saw this topic. I put the files online and I'm also part of the working group making them. Good to see people using them, and also good to see what are still the difficulties getting them on a phone.
Deborah, did it all work out now with the help of Jens or is there something I can do? If still needed I can send you the unzipped files, also only the Norte file.
The files are indeed open for everyone, not only members of registered persons. We like sharing.
If anyone has any feedback, please let me know. We love to make the files or the manual better. :)
Hi Thomas 1962
I have previously downloaded your CF, CP & Sanabres files to Maps.me but and now trying to download all the Spanish camino files to my iPhone 12 on Organic maps which I have downloaded on the recommendation of your website.
The download occurs, but I get the same blank screen mentioned by the OP above, with no option to open in a particular app. When checking further, it does ask if I would like to zip the files which suggests to me that they have downloaded unzipped.

I would greatly appreciate the possibility of you sending me the files directly if that were still an option. After three years of Covid isolation in Oz I am keen to get back on the trail.
TIA for any support you may be able to offer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Thomas 1962
I have previously downloaded your CF, CP & Sanabres files to Maps.me but and now trying to download all the Spanish camino files to my iPhone 12 on Organic maps which I have downloaded on the recommendation of your website.
The download occurs, but I get the same blank screen mentioned by the OP above, with no option to open in a particular app. When checking further, it does ask if I would like to zip the files which suggests to me that they have downloaded unzipped.

I would greatly appreciate the possibility of you sending me the files directly if that were still an option. After three years of Covid isolation in Oz I am keen to get back on the trail.
TIA for any support you may be able to offer.
With Iphones it sometimes is indeed different. It is still not clear with what IPhones it is different.
I hope this helps. If not, let me know.
After downloading:
- At the top right of the window appears when the download is complete a circle with an arrow downwards, click on this;
- In this overview, click the downloaded file;
- At the top right of the window a square appears with an arrow up;
- Click here; A window with a number of icons appears, including the app 'organic maps'
- Click on the desired app to open the program;
- The downloaded routes (or the 'voorzieningen' if you downloaded that file) are now displayed on the map.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.