• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help estimating length of trip (Dec/Jan)

Faith831

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Muxia/Fisterra (Dec/Jan 2016) Way of St. James - Luxembourg (July/Aug 2018)
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I've been reading everything I can here, and am not finding quite the info I need as far as roughly how long to plan for if I'm walking Dec/Jan. (snow, cold, layers, some places closed... on it :))

I'm hoping to start in SJPP early December and arrive in Finisterre as close to my birthday (Jan 11) as possible.

Realizing that there is no way to guarantee a particular arrival date in Finisterre, especially in winter, and wanting to factor in possible delays due to weather (safety is first) and whatever else and also not wanting to hurry (I have lots of flexibility in terms of when I leave), when would be a reasonable start date in SJPP?

Also, it looks like flying into Paris works really well (and I would love to spend a few days there as I've never been), but it doesn't look like flying out of Paris to go home works quite as well, so I'm guessing Madrid is a better choice for a round trip ticket, yes? (The only thread I found on Santiago back to Paris is over 10 years old...)

Thank you for any advice. This is my first question, so I hope it's an appropriate one. And thank you for the forum -- I've already learned so much and am taking lots of notes!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Faith831 - I walked a Jan/Feb Camino (I think it would be a comparable set of variables for your dates) and it took me 33 days with one day off in León. I found open Albergues at my needed intervals all but twice (The office in SJPDP was kindly giving out sheets with all the open Albergues and distances between them to help plan my days). Once I walked another 4kms to Agés and once I took a Pension in Belorado. I walked in snow zones 4 separate times and chose road routes for the Pyrenees as was the prudent thing to do with the amount of snow I faced. Other than that it was a wonderful experience, often having the Camino to myself for days on end!
Buen Camino!
Jordon

Thank you, Jordon!

So it sounds like if I left SJPP sometime during the first week of December, I'd be more than okay.

I'm looking very forward to the contemplative solitude. Heat and crowds not so much my thing, so winter sounds much better. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you looked into flying to Paris and returning home from Madrid? The two times I have done the Camino, I flew into Paris and returned home from Barcelona. I was travelling from Toronto. I can't speak to walking in the winter, but wanted you to know that you could still see Paris as part of your trip. Buen camino!

Hello Faith831,
There are some folks on here who are very experienced at walking winter month Caminos, and others who have a wealth of information about travel on the Camino, all of which they are happy to share.

I'm always amazed at their willingness to help others.

I can't help you personally, however, carry on with your planning as best you can and I'm sure those good folks will be talking to you soon.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I went late October to early December 2012.

I took 50 days from SJPdP to Fisterra. You might need more as short days will put a crimp in how far you can safely go on narrow roads.

You might need to have a plan B in the event of heavy snow for the section from SJPdP to at least Roncesvalles and perhaps Pamplona. The television news was showing pilgrims walking on the road early December between snow piled as high as shoulders by snow plows. There is a lot of variability from year to year.

The next point of concern will be the meseta where there is no protection from cold wind. I don't know what snow conditions prevail but I would want to check into potential for white out conditions.

The high point on the camino is the section from Astorga to Ponferrada. The section via O Cebreiro is pretty high too. Expect mountain winter conditions. Some winters its mild others the temperature plunges to serious cold.

In Galicia, expect torrential all day rains. I got lucky, they started just as I got to Fisterra.

Probably the hard part of accommodations, food etc will be the week of Christmas. Everything closes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, everyone! I saw a great airfare roundtrip to Madrid arriving Dec 2 so I took it. We'll see if that's enough time or not, I guess! Paris will have to wait for another trip -- there is such a thing as trying to do too much at once, I think, and the Camino and a few days in Madrid will be more than enough this go-round.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
it doesn't seem to factor in the time of year
You have to do that by selecting shorter stages!!

Having walked in January, I can tell you that the small places are closed. You may have to stay in hostales and hoteles a fair amount. Second coffee and lunch will be rare, so you need some sustenance in your pack. You may have to call to get a key to a municipal albergue. Heat will be turned on by request only. Days are short, so unless you walk in the dark, it will be a lot of 8 a.m. departures an 4 p.m. arrivals. You will only meet a handful of pilgrims during the entire trip. Remember that the Route Napoleon is closed from November to March.

Good advice from those who know! (I wouldn't, my earliest start being only in the 1st week in March...)
But I can concur as far as places to eat being scarce--you will have to be more resourceful when the crowds are not around. But it's a very small price to pay.

And it sounds like your basic logistics to Europe and back are in place...so you're on your way...:)

The section via O Cebreiro is pretty high too.
Something to consider is the Invierno from Ponferrada as it doesn't go so high. It's a pretty solitary Camino at any time, and there are few albergues (maybe none open in the winter)--but my oh my it goes through beautiful countryside!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-to-the-camino-de-invierno-2016-edition.442/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-invierno.36860/
www.americanpilgrims.com/camino[/route_descriptions/route_invierno/.html
www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/routes-to...in.../camino[-de-invierno[/

Hello everyone. My experience tells me not to do much attention to the guide shelters open in winter. You should go prepared for any eventuality.
I never forget the night community dinners at Christmas and New Year at Albergues in Burgos, Ponferrada and Leon, in the three Caminos I've done in winter. This year also I will do again.
Maybe we meet.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back