• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Feeling completely unprepared

saipsan

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May 2013)
This is my first post to this amazingly valuable forum which I peruse most hours of everyday. I am a 54 yo woman leaving Washington, DC on May 13 with my 18 year old daughter and my 16 year old son, both upbeat, agreeable kids. Despite the fact that our bags are packed and weighed, that we are all in fairly good condition, that my husband and two 20-somethings are supportive, I am completely panicking! The Lesprit Chemin in SJPdP is booked,what now? I can't figure out how to get the three of us from Pamplona to SJPdP after 1440 on 5/14? Should I book ahead to Orisson? I am sure my stress is coming from my mom responsibilities, but there you have it. Please give me some direction to address these last minute issues and any advice that will help me get into a good pilgrim rhythm once we land in Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
saipan-- your trepidation is logical, practical, and in fact, necesary. It is a good motivator to keep things in check and moving forward in the right direction. Both questions you pose are really good questions. I would say there are various options:

1. Just recently a place open up in Pamplona that offered an all-inclusive price for lodging for the night and early drive to SJPDP. I will look up for the name, but I am pretty sure a kind Pilgrim Contributor will name it soon!

2. Check the following website where the albergue you are staying in SJPDP matches pilgrins with rides: http://www.espritduchemin.org/en/node/191

3. Get to the Pamplona Bus Station. There are always dozens of Pilgrims hanging aorund the station either looking for rides, waiting for ones, or hoping to make a group to call in transport.

4. You can transport to SJPDP the next day of arrival to Pamplona and go as far as Orisson. Make reservations if so.

A quick note that SJPDP is a gorgeous town, do not miss even a couple of hours of sightseeing. Visit the church right by the Spanish Gate. Pilgrims used to sit on the outside benches and wait for the church's charity in the form of shoes repair, wine, and bread. It is just neat to take it all in right at the start.

All the best. I have walked the Camino on 2011 and 2012; going back to start from Logroño on May 18th. Hope to see you my friend! :D BUEN CAMINO!!

saipsan,

Relax. All will evolve and you and your family will be fine. I suggest that you investigate this new albergue Corazon Puro near Pamplona. They offer to meet you in Pamplona and drive you to their place. Their prices are VERY reasonable. Here is their web site >> http://www.corazonpuro.es

I plan to stay there myself next October when I hope to walk my 9th complete Camino from SJPdP to Santiago and on to Finisterre. Even at 74 hope springs eternal!

I wish all of you clear skies and a Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My daughter and I will be about a week behind you. As you mentioned one of the popular places in St Jean is booked so we are just going to wing it when we get there since it isn't the only place in town. However, we know we only want to go as far as Orisson on the first day so we have booked a place there for one night. There is a refuge there that is 32euro a nite including dinner and breakfast or the same owners have a nearby refuge for 15euro a nite for just a bed.

Buen Camino!

Terrri said:
As you mentioned one of the popular places in St Jean is booked so we are just going to wing it when we get there since it isn't the only place in town.
Terri-- as soon as you get to SJPDP go straight to the Office of the Pilgrims-- they keep a running tab of rooms available at various town lodgings and they will call the place and book you right then and there. Wonderful office, very kind and knowledgeable volunteers.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Two possibilities.

There is a bus service that runs once per day from Pamplona to St Jean. The problem is that it does not run all year.

http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules ... ernational

The other possibility is the train.

It runs from Pamplona to Hendaye. It is necessary to transfer trains from the Spanish system to the French system. From there you go to Gare Bayonne. Transfer to another train to get from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

Train in Spain:

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Train in France:

http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

The part I do not understand is why you are flying to Pamplona instead of Biarritz.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Saipsan, my husband, son and I had to give up our reservation at Esprit du Chemin when our flight from DC was delayed and we got to SJPP a day later than planned. There are lots of places in SJPP. We ended up booking into Hotel des Ramparts because my friend had stayed there the year before and recommended it. It wasn't cheap, but not outrageous (don't remember the price, honestly). And we had a lovely, HUGE bathtub, a good night's sleep in a proper beds, and a nice breakfast before we set out on our Camino.

Relax. Everything will work out. Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back