• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help for Portugues Newbie

Loretta S

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Frances 2019
Frances 2022
My husband and I walked the Frances in 2017 and are desperately hoping to walk the Portuguese beginning mid October. It will be a last minute decision and not sure if we will start in Lisbon or Porto (depends on how much time we can get). A few questions:
1. I was going to walk in Hoka Bondi (for added cushions on the cobblestone). But, I’m wondering if I should consider the Hoka Waterproof Speedgoat 3. Slightly less cushion but waterproof. I’m worried that a mid- October start may mean lots more rain?? Thoughts??
2. What are major differences between Portuguese and Frances that might effect our packing and training.
3. We carried our packs for the Frances and intend to do so for the Portuguese. However, my husband has developed a bad back problem and may need to transport bags. Any comments on bag transport on the Portuguese? Is it available throughout the route? As easy as it seemed to be on the Frances?
Thanks in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi @Loretta S!

I did the CP in 2016 from Porto. We used bag transport at times and all went very well, no matter where we were! I walk in Teva Sport sandals so, I can't really help you about boots but, I'm certain others will.
Bom Caminho to you and your hubby...the CP is beautiful, food is excellent and locals even better! ;)

2. What are major differences between Portuguese and Frances that might effect our packing and training.
I can only speak about the Porto-SdC region (both Coastal and Central routes). It seemed to me that there was much more hard surface walking on the CP than the CF, especially the Coastal route. I love walking long distances daily but the CP Coastal was hard on the feet. For training, I would just walk long distances on concrete or pavement. Have fun. I'm jealous!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tried on a pair of Hokas last week based on a recommendation from this website. They seem excellent. Wish I had used them for my 2 CP trips. Next time.

I wore Hoka's on the Central Route this past May and my normally cranky feet were very happy. It was like walking on marshmallows. I personally don't like waterproof shoes because I found that they are never completely waterproof, they are hotter and they take longer to dry. When my shoes did get wet in the rain, the mesh allowed them to dry quickly. Enjoy your walk!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked from Lisbon in 2016. I had only my old Merrells that I had worn on the C2C and the CF from SJPP. I had no problems with the cobble-stones.
If you have the time consider walking from Lisbon. There is so much more of Portugal to be seen before Porto.

I wore Hoka's on the Central Route this past May and my normally cranky feet were very happy. It was like walking on marshmallows. I personally don't like waterproof shoes because I found that they are never completely waterproof, they are hotter and they take longer to dry. When my shoes did get wet in the rain, the mesh allowed them to dry quickly. Enjoy your walk!
I agree completely. I loved wearing Hokas and many of us on the forum do not really care for waterproof shoes for the same reasons you commented on.

I brought Hokas and my Chaco sandals on the Portugues and ended up wearing my Chacos most of the time. I would definitely avoid waterproof shoes. I have had foot problems in the past, however I did not have any trouble with the hard surfaces/cobblestones on the Portugues. It's a beautiful walk. I walked from Porto. I have heard that the walk from Lisboa is much more challenging, with fewer accommodations, etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wore Hokas One/one (which are not waterproof) and also took a pair of Keen sandals for walking around town at the end of day, but also used the sandals a time or two on the trail when I started getting hot spots on my feet that weren't getting relief with other foot care measures. I only had one day of drizzly misty rain requiring wearing my poncho as I walked in May. My Hokas got pretty damp but did not require me to stop and change socks or shoes and they dried out quickly.

I found the coastal easier on the feet than the central, but had switched from a Merrell waterproof to Hokas, made a huge difference. No rain at all last year in late Sept/early Oct.
Bag transport ( Caminofacil) was perfect
Do you remember which Hoka you wore? And, were you happy with it?

For bag transport we used Tui Trans all the way. It was excellent.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you remember which Hoka you wore? And, were you happy with it?
I wore a low cut trekking boot (Trexstar) for our Portuguese Camino in 2017 and my feet were tired by the end of the day - the cobblestone in Portugal is very hard on your feet - I was 68 at the time. I really wish I had my high top hiking boots. We only started in Porto so once we were in Spain, the walking was more variable.

As I said, I was surprised, after reading other reviews, that the cobblestones and tarmac didnt cause me any problems. I specifically got the Hoka One Ones for their padding but preferred my sandals.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.