• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Help for sore heel and ankle

@Ditts

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP to Santiago.
April 2023
I’m in Leon at the moment and here for another night as I can hardly walk. Does anyone know of any help that’s not too expensive? I’ve got an extremely sore right heel and my right ankle is very tender.
Thanks in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m in Leon at the moment and here for another night as I can hardly walk. Does anyone know of any help that’s not too expensive? I’ve got an extremely sore right heel and my right ankle is very tender.
Thanks in advance
I know nothing---except from personal experience. Standing, put your toes/ball of foot on something that creates a 90 degree angle for your knee. drop your heel down gently, increasing it as you can and leaving it longer. this is the only stretch that I know of that stretches that last muscle/ligament? from the calf down. stand on first step on staircase---holding on and drop your heels down one at time leaving balls feet /toes on step. Ice/ice/ice/ice. Put voltarin/en? cream on as directed. Start your day with a sports aid in your water for minerals/salt...if you pre-load your body with this your body does not get in distress as easily/quickly. Drink lots of water the rest of the day. Also---more stretches---sit and twirl your feet in both directions for many rotations, not moving your legs, then do point (out hard) and (imaginarily) pull back with your feet again not moving your legs. Google standing leg stretches against a wall. Massage the bottom of your feet. Massage your legs best you can if you can't find physiotherapy. Freeze (hard to find I know) a plastic bottle of water and roll your feet over it back and forth while standing with some pressure. Stretch first thing in the am, before you walk, stretch during your walk, stretch after you walk, stretch before bed.

I know nothing---except from personal experience. Standing, put your toes/ball of foot on something that creates a 90 degree angle for your knee. drop your heel down gently, increasing it as you can and leaving it longer. this is the only stretch that I know of that stretches that last muscle/ligament? from the calf down. stand on first step on staircase---holding on and drop your heels down one at time leaving balls feet /toes on step. Ice/ice/ice/ice. Put voltarin/en? cream on as directed. Start your day with a sports aid in your water for minerals/salt...if you pre-load your body with this your body does not get in distress as easily/quickly. Drink lots of water the rest of the day. Also---more stretches---sit and twirl your feet in both directions for many rotations, not moving your legs, then do point (out hard) and (imaginarily) pull back with your feet again not moving your legs. Google standing leg stretches against a wall. Massage the bottom of your feet. Massage your legs best you can if you can't find physiotherapy. Freeze (hard to find I know) a plastic bottle of water and roll your feet over it back and forth while standing with some pressure. Stretch first thing in the am, before you walk, stretch during your walk, stretch after you walk, stretch before bed.
Thank you for those. Will do them

I urge you not to do any kind of stretching until you find out what the problem is. You could make things much worse.

See a physical therapist or a doctor and get a diagnosis and instructions for care. Anything bad enough that you can barely walk needs to be identified at the minimum.

For example, if it is a torn Achilles tendon, which isn’t likely but it could be, you will tear it more trying to stretch it. Likewise for a torn muscle, which is more likely. Do not stretch it. You haven’t given enough details here (and you don’t have to!) for us to have any idea what the problem is, let alone treatment of it.

At minimum, do things that will not cause harm: Rest, ice, compression, elevation. And see a medical person of some sort.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks in advance
Get a professional medical opinion. Maybe go to the local Centro de Salud...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Respectfully @Ditts, This is not a the best place to get medical advice. It could be any number of things and some cannot be diagnosed without proper examination. Hope you will find your answers and get some relief.

And respectfully I was just asking if people knew of help here cheers

I don’t have specific advice for León, but at least in a city and midweek, there are lots of options.

When I have needed medical help along the Camino, which has been several times, I asked at my lodging (best) or looked online (not the best, but when you’re desperate, it will do). I wasn’t concerned about price because 1.) I needed the help, no matter the cost; and 2.) medical care in Spain is inexpensive. I paid about €50 each time to get treatment from a pt, and maybe €75 to get urgent care at a private hospital. X-rays were another €75, as I recall. I never had X-rays at a pt, so not sure what they would cost, but probably about the same as at the hospital would be my guess. I was not charged for ultrasound imaging by any pts, which may be all you need for a soft tissue injury.

Public clinics may not see you because they are just for Spanish people. Non-urgent care at a private hospital will require an appointment perhaps days or weeks in the future, and a much higher fee. So if you do go to a hospital, be clear it’s for urgent care.

I hope that helps and you are pain free and back in action soon.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don’t have specific advice for León, but at least in a city and midweek, there are lots of options.

When I have needed medical help along the Camino, which has been several times, I asked at my lodging (best) or looked online (not the best, but when you’re desperate, it will do). I wasn’t concerned about price because 1.) I needed the help, no matter the cost; and 2.) medical care in Spain is inexpensive. I paid about €50 each time to get treatment from a pt, and maybe €75 to get urgent care at a private hospital. X-rays were another €75, as I recall. I never had X-rays at a pt, so not sure what they would cost, but probably about the same as at the hospital would be my guess. I was not charged for ultrasound imaging by any pts, which may be all you need for a soft tissue injury.

Public clinics may not see you because they are just for Spanish people. Non-urgent care at a private hospital will require an appointment perhaps days or weeks in the future, and a much higher fee. So if you do go to a hospital, be clear it’s for urgent care.

I hope that helps and you are pain free and back in action soon.
When DH had a swollen ankle that would not support weight, we walked into the clinica and told them our situation. They do have a way to email you a bill. They took down our info, including passport number, and after an examination ("Was there an argument?" apparently the anti domestic abuse campaign was on that week) referred us to the Urgencia (accessed by going to the taxi stand down the block) and there they took X-ray, diagnosed a fracture, put a soft cast on, wrote a script for some meds and crutches, and turned us over to another taxi. Some weeks after our flight home, I received a factura in my email and paid the 56 euro they charged. (Plus wire fees and conversions, came out somewhat over $100 overall.) Definitely try the clinica as it's probably closer. Your lodging person will tell you where it is.

Thanks in advance
Here’s a link to a clinic in Leon that specializes in podiatry and physical therapy.

Maybe you’ve already moved on but maybe this will help. I saw a podiatrist in Pamplona last year and the appointment was only €35. It’s worth a phone call:

And here’s their Facebook page which had a link on it to call them.

I’m not personally familiar with this clinic. After I seriously injured my foot, I ended up buying a used bicycle to finish my Camino. It was better than going home. Hope it doesn’t come to that for you. Wishing you a safe and pain-free Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks in advance
Soak, soak, soak in (cool) temperate water (use plastic bag in waste can if you must). Massage whole (!) leg, gently. See pharmacist.

Thanks in advance
Not nearly enough information in your description to really offer advice. If it’s your Achilles I would recommend a heel lift in your shoes. If it’s more of a strain/sprain the ibuprofen and possibly an ace wrap or a stretchy ankle support. If it’s blisters then treat the blisters. If you have no contraindications to taking ibuprofen I would definitely start a course of 600mg three times per day with food. Good luck.

This is exactly the case where you should use your medical insurance

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve been to the dr and she wants me to rest for another couple of days. I couldn’t go private as it would cost too much even though I would get it back. Had to walk ( ironically) to the public hospital. She wanted me to have an X-ray and then decided they couldn’t as I wouldn’t be in the system or something. Anyway I think this thread could finish now. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have strong ibruprofen now

And respectfully I was just asking if people knew of help here cheers
Google works in Europe! Honestly, "nearby" on Google maps will show you the closest pharmacies and medical centers. The staff at albergues/hostals/hotels will have that information as well. I'm not sure why those aren't the first things people do when injured or ill.

Hope you get the proper medical attention soon!

Google works in Europe! Honestly, "nearby" on Google maps will show you the closest pharmacies and medical centers. The staff at albergues/hostals/hotels will have that information as well. I'm not sure why those aren't the first things people do when injured or ill.

Hope you get the proper medical attention soon!
Thank you but I just wrote saying I had

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also when I spent the night on the bench in Pamplona with 5 other pilgrims, I’d even been to the police to ask them to lock me up. The first thing people always say is “ But didn’t you try………….”

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.