• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help from Baena to Cordoba

peregrina2000

Staff member
It looks to me that Baena to Cordoba are 66 kms. I would very much like to walk that in two days. I think that these are the options:

Day 1–Baena to Santa cruz (40); Day 2– Santa Cruz to Granada (26)

Day 1 —Baena to Castro (19); Day2– castro to Cordoba (38) (route that does not go through Santa Cruz, which makes the total from Baena lower on this alternative)

I know that km totals are an imperfect gauge but it’s all I’ve got.

For the Mozárabe veterans, which would you recommend? Or is there another option that I’m not seeing? Thanks. Buen camino, Laurie

Ps. I suppose there might be an option to play around with the stage from alcaudete to Baena (24) as well, if there is a way to go further than Baena from Alcaudete.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Laurie, we walked it in three days, but there is a waymarked option from Castro del Rio straight to Cordoba, abt 38km. It's not very mountinous, so if you have reserved accomodation in Cordoba, you can arrive later. For sure you are in form todo it.
Buen Camino
A&K

I liked Castro del Rio very much even if it is a short day from lovely Baena. It has a comfortable albergue (key from the friendly local police). It's possibly the birthplace of Don Quixote as Cervantes was briefly in prison here and started writing about el ingenioso hidalgo while on one of his spells locked up. Vera Cruz is very unexciting, but at least it is at the end of the olive monoculture.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Laurie, we walked it in three days, but there is a waymarked option from Castro del Rio straight to Cordoba, abt 38km. It's not very mountinous, so if you have reserved accomodation in Cordoba, you can arrive later. For sure you are in form todo it.
Buen Camino
A&K

This is the option I did - Castro del Río to Córdoba, definitely doable for you Laurie (IMHO).

The policemen in Castro del Río were lovely. When I went to pick up the key they were concerned that I was alone and said that I could stay an extra day if I wanted to see if other pilgrims were behind me. They also insisted that I contact them if I needed any help. The town was fine but I wanted to move on to Cordoba where I stayed two nights (in a very inexpensive hostel, if you need the name I could look it up).

Whichever way you choose, enjoy lovely Córdoba. I remember trying their local white wine (can't remember the name) which had quite a particular taste. Not to be repeated.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in here. In reflection, I think I am going to walk the long bit the first day (Baena to Santa Cruz) so that I will have a short day into Cordoba from Santa Cruz and will have more time for sightseeing. Make sense?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Makes quite a long stages, but we know you are a strong woman. Btw, we stayed at Casa Jose in Santa Cruz. Clean rooms and good menu. In Cordoba we stayed at Hostal Maestre, exellent situated and low price, close to camino.
Buen Camino
A&K

Hi Peregrina2000,
Would you be so kind sharing your stages and Alberges from Granada to Merida? I am debating starting from Seville or Granada onwards. Thank you so much!

is there a lodging list and profile map for Camino Mozarabe as the other road? I have not found.

Hi Peregrina2000,
Would you be so kind sharing your stages and Alberges from Granada to Merida? I am debating starting from Seville or Granada onwards. Thank you so much!

is there a lodging list and profile map for Camino Mozarabe as the other road? I have not found.
Hi, Youren,
I have been meaning to put up my Mozárabe stages, and will try to get to that later today. But there is a great guide, updated at least once a month, on the Amigos website. They are a wonderful bunch of people and will help you with everything.

The link to the guide is over on the right hand side of the homepage. http://www.almeriajacobea.es

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great link, looking forward to seeing your stages. Thank you so much!

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back