• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help from those experienced with a donkey

ovannes

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for June 2023
So, am I actually the only one on this thread who has done three Caminos with a donkey? Instead of guessing?
I am wondering if you might be able to help me. I wish to travel el Camino with my 21 year old daughter with Down syndrome who would be more inclined to trek with a donkey to sometimes ride as well as alternately simply bearing her pack. Can you tell me if it is possible to hire a donkey someplace to take on the camino? I would be very interested to learn from your experience and undertake such a trek if it is possible.
Perhaps you would contact me directly at [edited by a Moderator. Please use the forum Private Message function]
Thanks for your consideration.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am wondering if you might be able to help me. I wish to travel el Camino with my 21 year old daughter with Down syndrome who would be more inclined to trek with a donkey to sometimes ride as well as alternately simply bearing her pack. Can you tell me if it is possible to hire a donkey someplace to take on the camino? I would be very interested to learn from your experience and undertake such a trek if it is possible.
Perhaps you would contact me directly at [edited by a Moderator. Please use the forum Private Message function]
Take a look at this thread

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-to-get-a-donkey.70907/

and put "donkey" into the search box above.

Good luck, it seems like a mammoth task

BC

I'm hoping you get some responses @ovannes.

This is an interesting article about 3 brothers who walked the Camino, one of whom has Down's Syndrome.

This thread also mentions a woman walking with her children, one of whom has Down's syndrome. It includes a lovely photo of them at the end of the walk, in Obradeiro Square.

Personally I think that taking a donkey is likely to add to your difficulties, rather than make it easier. But I have no personal experience to go by, only my observation that taking any animal on camino adds many logistical problems.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Before attempting this you might want to read Tim Moore's book titled "Travels with my donkey - One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago". His journey was certainly interesting.
ISBN 978-0-312-32083-6

Hmm. It's certainly possible to hire a donkey. The problem would be using it as a riding animal for an adult. The pack saddle is designed to carry bags, not a full sized adult. Some have an additional fitting to take a very small child, but if a larger person wanted to ride it would be either the person on a normal saddle (or possibly bareback) or the bags. A couple of small bags attached to a riding saddle could carry about as much as a backpack, so everyone else would be carrying their bag. As to where, other posts give information on this. I suggest you and your daughter do some riding nearer home first. As you are from USA, you would probably not want to take to much stuff with you so would need to source your camping gear in Spain. Yes, you would need to camp unless doing a short Camino with everything prepared in advance. So, not impossible and probably a great trip for your daughter but not easy.

Just to add to the above concerning care and welfare of the animal - the donkey would have to be very fit and used to trekking many kilometres on a daily basis and over an extended period of time. I would suggest very few would fit into that category. You may encounter foot issues, lameness and worn, sensitive hooves. What would your backup plan be. My opinion is that unless you are very experienced in their care then it is not a viable option. Mucha suerte.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just to add to the above concerning care and welfare of the animal - the donkey would have to be very fit and used to trekking many kilometres on a daily basis and over an extended period of time. I would suggest very few would fit into that category. You may encounter foot issues, lameness and worn, sensitive hooves. What would your backup plan be. My opinion is that unless you are very experienced in their care then it is not a viable option. Mucha suerte.
That would not be a problem with a donkey rented from a trekking company. My donkey was shod, by the way.

Donkeys are more common in France, so an option may be walking le chemin in France. I ride horses (own one), and also have ridden a certain mule, named Spock. So.. I have found that a lot of negative comments about equine options are from people who haven't been around equines much and would be overwhelmed in caring for them. Donkeys are not like a bicycle-- they have good days and bad, they eat, they poop, they bray.

Then again, the donkey will recognize you and are good company-- they'll say good morning and make your day brighter. Brushing a donkey and looking into his dark eyes is very rewarding.

Here is a youtube video of a family with two mules (half horse, half donkey) walking from Le Puy-en-Velay.

A donkey cannot easily carry an adult-- but then there are small donkeys and big donkeys, and too, small adults and big adults. A really big adult cannot ride on a small horse either. If you rent from a responsible company they will help learn how to care for your donkey, what size is appropriate, and how to pack. They will also come and help you if there is a problem.

May I suggest you and your daughter take some time to get to know donkeys and care for them at home before you head out on the camino (or le chemin).

Last edited:
Like Kanga, I think a donkey might add to your difficulties.
They can be quite stubborn, and my only experience is seeing frustrated pilgrims trying to convince the donkey - in vain. Personally, I'd have second thoughts about this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Donkeys are more common in France, so an option may be walking le chemin in France. I ride horses (own one), and also have ridden a certain mule, named Spock. So.. I have found that a lot of negative comments about equine options are from people who haven't been around equines much and would be overwhelmed in caring for them. Donkeys are not like a bicycle-- they have good days and bad, they eat, they poop, they bray.

Then again, the donkey will recognize you and are good company-- they'll say good morning and make your day brighter. Brushing a donkey and looking into his dark eyes is very rewarding.

Here is a youtube video of a family with two donkeys (pretty big ones) walking from Le Puy-en-Velay.

A donkey cannot easily carry an adult-- but then there are small donkeys and big donkeys, and too, small adults and big adults. A really big adult cannot ride on a small horse either. If you rent from a responsible company they will help learn how to care for your donkey, what size is appropriate, and how to pack. They will also come and help you if there is a problem.

May I suggest you and your daughter take some time to get to know donkeys and care for them at home before you head out on the camino (or le chemin).
These appear to be mules, as opposed to donkeys. Different—and bred to be larger—beasts of burden. I met two young (20 somethings) on horseback on my Camino Francés this past May/June and their biggest challenge was finding places that would shelter the horses and also themselves. Not all albergues were open to having them. They never booked ahead and upon arrival in each town, started approaching bar owners to see if anyone had a suitable testing place for the horses. It was challenging but they met loads of people as a result and they managed in the end. The Camino did provide, with a lot of effort on their part. Horses or mules may be the better option. Buen Camino.

About 12 years ago on a whim I acquired a donkey in Carrión de los Condes. I’m walking the Camino now and was just thinking how difficult it would be today to walk with a donkey. There is so much more traffic and somehow the Camino seems less rural. I think the logistics would be very complicated. PM me if you like.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I concur that the donkey would likely make things more complicated. I would think it might be a better option to select a route where you can walk shorter stages as needed and perhaps have your bags transported ahead. On the plus side - luggage transport is easy and usually affordable (depending on your budget). On the negative side - it forces you to walk to wherever you sent your luggage ahead to - meaning it is harder to say as you walk "My daughter is tired - we should stop HERE for tonight". On the Frances - depending on where you would like to start - the longest distance you are forced to walk in one day is 17km (where there are no towns in between during that 17km) - but the rest of the time there are towns more frequent than that and almost all of them have some sort of accommodation available should you need to stop for the night. If you were wanting to take a pack animal - you need to know how to care for them properly and you might be better off if you hire a guide to go with the pack animal. I don't know if that service is available. If you chose to walk without a pack animal, she could take lots of breaks throughout the day and you can adjust your distances to her needs. I also suggest practicing at home and see how far she can walk so you can plan your first few days according to what you KNOW she can do. And worst case scenario - there are taxi companies. Don't know how that works when you are in between towns - but I would assume you might be able to send gps locations via your phone with todays technology. Again - I am ASSUMING that - I haven't tried it. But on a tour group for non-Camino tours I had my guide text me gps locations so I could find the van we were in a couple times. I can probably work for a customer to send their location to a taxi driver if you asked.

These appear to be mules, as opposed to donkeys. Different—and bred to be larger—beasts of burden. I met two young (20 somethings) on horseback on my Camino Francés this past May/June and their biggest challenge was finding places that would shelter the horses and also themselves. Not all albergues were open to having them. They never booked ahead and upon arrival in each town, started approaching bar owners to see if anyone had a suitable testing place for the horses. It was challenging but they met loads of people as a result and they managed in the end. The Camino did provide, with a lot of effort on their part. Horses or mules may be the better option. Buen Camino.
Yeah- you are right, definitely mules. The word âne threw me off. I fixed my earlier post.

:) If I were to ride the camino, it would be on a horse. I like to ride for days, but the camino riding groups that I have seen advertised all seem to offering an expensive 5 star tour, not just staying at albergues and meeting people. I don't want to be part of a tour.

Then again, a donkey could carry my stuff and we could have deep conversations while we trundle along..

Last edited:
I’m guessing that every word uttered so far here is wise and true. BUT….. hey, this may be the Camino that is calling you. I had to take time off the Camino in May due to Covid. My walking companions told me that during that time they met a pilgrim on the way to SJPP from Santiago on a horse. THAT pilgrim flew in from Brazil, had never even touched a horse in their life, landed in Santiago, bought a horse, and riding that horse was doing the Camino. Big smiles all around. Maybe there were others here that met that pilgrim. My point: if this is your Camino, you can make it happen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m guessing that every word uttered so far here is wise and true. BUT….. hey, this may be the Camino that is calling you. I had to take time off the Camino in May due to Covid. My walking companions told me that during that time they met a pilgrim on the way to SJPP from Santiago on a horse. THAT pilgrim flew in from Brazil, had never even touched a horse in their life, landed in Santiago, bought a horse, and riding that horse was doing the Camino. Big smiles all around. Maybe there were others here that met that pilgrim. My point: if this is your Camino, you can make it happen

Well, not entirely the OP's Camino - he/she will be with a 21 year old daughter who is other-abled.

The idea of the donkey was with the thought it might make the journey easier.

Last edited:
poor horse.

Well, not entirely the OP's Camino - he/she will be with a 21 year old daughter who is other-abled.

The idea of the donkey was with the thought it might make the journey easier.
I recalled that story as illustrative of thinking outside the box. In life, the advice given overwhelmingly is to stay within the box. It’s refreshing to see people living boldly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I met a family traveling with three boys aged about 5-10, two big dogs and a donkey. They were camping in the grounds of albergues and paying to use their shower. It seemed a faff but they were Spanish. Unless you speak reasonable Spanish I think this is a no go. youd need to find places to stay that are both good with horses and camping.

I recalled that story as illustrative of thinking outside the box. In life, the advice given overwhelmingly is to stay within the box. It’s refreshing to see people living boldly.
Regardless of whether the original poster choses to do the Camino "within the box" or "outside the box"... I think we all need to support her desire to do the Camino by re-assuring her - Where there is a will, there is a way!. As I said before, a donkey or mule might actually make it harder on the mom to do the Camino because of all the needs of her daughter PLUS the additional needs of the donkey... plus all of the extra supplies/equipment needed for the donkey and for them BECAUSE of the donkey (like camping gear which most people don't NEED for the Camino normally). But with or without the donkey - the Camino journey can most definitely be adapted to the daughter's needs. Just requires a little more research and forethought to make it happen.

Since one of your concerns is carrying a pack,why not send a bag ahead using paq mochilla ( correos.com). They provide this service from albergue to albergue, between April- October,

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Might be easier(?) to be bicigrinas vs peregrinas, if the daughter can ride a bike.

Many of the cautions are being expressed on behalf of the donkey. OP hasn't mentioned whether or not OP and / or OP's daughter have any experience working with donkeys; thus, the concern. If OP already has lots of experience working with them, then good. If not, then OP is being properly cautioned about the difficulties of working with a living being with needs and wants of its own...who can't tell OP in advance.

As someone very familiar with equines, I think the reality of walking with a pack mule or donkey or riding a horse would be an issue if you’re not yet horse-savvy…at the very least. They aren’t machines. They have personalities and specific care. You may have difficulty recognizing horse illnesses, some of which can be fatal (colic or founder). They aren’t as simple as a dog or a cat. A pack goat, believe it or not, would be a safer bet. But I believe movement of goats and sheep are restricted. Anyway…..for the sake of the donkey, unless you are already very familiar with them and their care, I would look for other means of help in transport!

I have walked with a young man (19 at the time) with Down syndrome. While not always easy convincing him to finish the day, it was a rewarding experience. I have also experienced donkeys/mules on the Camino a number of times. Many times, it was as the bars/Albergue were running them off for fear of having to clean up after them. I can’t imagine how it would be making sure that my donkey and child had enough water and food. Taking care of yourself and your child will probably be enough, adding the needs of a large animal would take me over the brink.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I met a family traveling with three boys aged about 5-10, two big dogs and a donkey. They were camping in the grounds of albergues and paying to use their shower. It seemed a faff but they were Spanish. Unless you speak reasonable Spanish I think this is a no go. youd need to find places to stay that are both good with horses and camping.
It doesn't take long to learn the Spanish for ," please do you have somewhere I can put my tent and a Donkey? I will need some water."

Regardless of whether the original poster choses to do the Camino "within the box" or "outside the box"... I think we all need to support her desire to do the Camino by re-assuring her - Where there is a will, there is a way!. As I said before, a donkey or mule might actually make it harder on the mom to do the Camino because of all the needs of her daughter PLUS the additional needs of the donkey... plus all of the extra supplies/equipment needed for the donkey and for them BECAUSE of the donkey (like camping gear which most people don't NEED for the Camino normally). But with or without the donkey - the Camino journey can most definitely be adapted to the daughter's needs. Just requires a little more research and forethought to make it happen.
Most people with a learning disability get on very well with equines. I've stayed at several places that had good relationships with local associations that provided riding lessons for people with all sorts of health problems.

Yeah- you are right, definitely mules. The word âne threw me off. I fixed my earlier post.

:) If I were to ride the camino, it would be on a horse. I like to ride for days, but the camino riding groups that I have seen advertised all seem to offering an expensive 5 star tour, not just staying at albergues and meeting people. I don't want to be part of a tour.

Then again, a donkey could carry my stuff and we could have deep conversations while we trundle along..
Yep, my donkey liked me to read aloud as we walked. She was good with everything but Stevenson's Travels with a donkey. Mostly she preferred me to sing, despite my inability to carry a tune in a bucket. And what's more, she could blag chocolate out of an amazing variety of people.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most people with a learning disability get on very well with equines. I've stayed at several places that had good relationships with local associations that provided riding lessons for people with all sorts of health problems.
I never said people with disabilities don't get along well with equines in either of my two responses! My responses weren't about whether or not a young woman with Downs will do well with a horse/donkey/mule etc. It was more about the mom caring for the needs of the young woman with Downs Syndrome AND a donkey. The mother will have to deal with her needs and her own gear. She will also need to assist her daughter with her daughters gear. Then she will need to ensure her daughter's physical, mental, emotional, and health needs are all met. Assisting her daughter all day every day as needed depending on her daughter's health and ability levels. (And of course - this mom already knows this). Adding a donkey to the mix means she has another life for the mom to care for - that of the donkey. With that - you need to add the donkey's gear, and the donkey's needs. And - on a day that the daughter is struggling, there are no guarantees the donkey will cooperate and in any way make the mom's journey any easier. Mom may very well end having to deal with her daughter's struggles PLUS an uncooperative donkey. Then there is the fact that you can't just stay in any hotel or albergue with a donkey - which would likely add the need to camp along the way. As I stated - brining a donkey may simply complicate things for the mom rather than simplify them.

Anyhow - as I pointed out in my other posts - where there is a will there is a way - so I encourage this mom to continue doing her research - because I feel it is absolutely possible for her to do the Camino with her daughter - but a donkey MIGHT not be the best solution. But as I stated earlier - there are services that can assist with luggage transport and there are taxis available along the more popular Camino routes. Modifying distances to the daughter's needs will help a great deal. Or heck - while I am one who generally encourages people to do this on their own without booking/support services - this is a situation where hiring a company to book, transport luggage, and provide support services may be the way to go. And who knows - maybe a donkey will work for them - once mom considers all the benefits AND disadvantages of hiring a donkey.

Edited to add... somewhere I thought the OP was a "mom"... but looking back... could be a dad too! Sorry if you are a dad and I keep referring to you as a mom!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said people with disabilities don't get along well with equines in either of my two responses! My responses weren't about whether or not a young woman with Downs will do well with a horse/donkey/mule etc. It was more about the mom caring for the needs of the young woman with Downs Syndrome AND a donkey. The mother will have to deal with her needs and her own gear. She will also need to assist her daughter with her daughters gear. Then she will need to ensure her daughter's physical, mental, emotional, and health needs are all met. Assisting her daughter all day every day as needed depending on her daughter's health and ability levels. (And of course - this mom already knows this). Adding a donkey to the mix means she has another life for the mom to care for - that of the donkey. With that - you need to add the donkey's gear, and the donkey's needs. And - on a day that the daughter is struggling, there are no guarantees the donkey will cooperate and in any way make the mom's journey any easier. Mom may very well end having to deal with her daughter's struggles PLUS an uncooperative donkey. Then there is the fact that you can't just stay in any hotel or albergue with a donkey - which would likely add the need to camp along the way. As I stated - brining a donkey may simply complicate things for the mom rather than simplify them.

Anyhow - as I pointed out in my other posts - where there is a will there is a way - so I encourage this mom to continue doing her research - because I feel it is absolutely possible for her to do the Camino with her daughter - but a donkey MIGHT not be the best solution. But as I stated earlier - there are services that can assist with luggage transport and there are taxis available along the more popular Camino routes. Modifying distances to the daughter's needs will help a great deal. Or heck - while I am one who generally encourages people to do this on their own without booking/support services - this is a situation where hiring a company to book, transport luggage, and provide support services may be the way to go. And who knows - maybe a donkey will work for them - once mom considers all the benefits AND disadvantages of hiring a donkey.
The OP seems to have vanished and I'm not going to start making assumptions about her daughter's capabilities or her own. The fact that her daughter is likely to get on well with a donkey might well make the journey possible, note that I don't say easy.
Adding any animal into the journey changes it. Probably not by making it easier. Then if it was easy it would be a different journey....I once calculated how far Dalie and I had walked together. Over four thousand kilometres, so I do have some small idea what is involved, which is why I suggested trying it at home first.
I will just say that I wondered if she had asked her daughter if she wanted to do this. I suppose the mother wants to walk a Camino herself and isn't doing it just because her daughter wants to, but we will probably never know. Which said, it isn't going to work unless at least two of the participant want it tostoney path.jpg. I never asked my donkey, come to that, but she seemed to enjoy her travels.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

In other words, a complicated Camino is like a visit to Hotel California: This could be heaven or this could be hell

Last edited:
The OP seems to have vanished and I'm not going to start making assumptions about her daughter's capabilities or her own. The fact that her daughter is likely to get on well with a donkey might well make the journey possible, note that I don't say easy.
Did you realise that the OP quoted you in her post and asked you to PM her?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yep, my donkey liked me to read aloud as we walked. She was good with everything but Stevenson's Travels with a donkey. Mostly she preferred me to sing, despite my inability to carry a tune in a bucket. And what's more, she could blag chocolate out of an amazing variety of people.

Singing to my horses in the silent, frosty early evenings when I went up to the field with their feed and hay … magical …

Australians here will know the name Father Bob McGuire. 86 years old, beloved by all, advocate and creator of social ministries for the poor, the forgotten, street people. Former Australian of the Year. Fr. Bob said, “You gotta learn the difference between genuine human need and STREET THEATRE. None of the people we care for are out there on the street with their hand out. Full stop.”

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.