• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help: Getting from Madrid to Hospital de Órbigo

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
Hi Everyone

We arrive in Madrid on June 1st, and need to get to Hospital de Órbigo the same afternoon/evening.
I am starting to get concerned as I was trying to check availability & prices of tickets but my searches come up saying there is nothing on that route on that day.

I'm not sure if I am just trying too far in advance, or if we are going to have trouble getting transport. I was following the links via the Rome2Rio site.

I don't mind if we use the train or bus.

I would also be interested to know if we get a bus/train to Leon only, can we get a taxi to Hospital de Órbigo, and if so, what it would cost (roughly)?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The distance from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo is about 35 kilmometers; the taxi rate is usually at least 1€ per km.
Check out the Pilgrim's Rates on this typical local taxi fare list.
http://www.radiotaxileon.com/fares.html

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Train or bus to Leon, and then a taxi. My cousin joined us using this method last year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Everyone

We arrive in Madrid on June 1st, and need to get to Hospital de Órbigo the same afternoon/evening.
I am starting to get concerned as I was trying to check availability & prices of tickets but my searches come up saying there is nothing on that route on that day.

I'm not sure if I am just trying too far in advance, or if we are going to have trouble getting transport. I was following the links via the Rome2Rio site.

I would also be interested to know if we get a bus/train to Leon only, can we get a taxi to Hospital de Órbigo, and if so, what it would cost (roughly)?

https://www.busradar.es/busqueda/?From=Madrid&To=Hospital+de+Órbigo&When=2018-06-01&WhenReturn=&Passengers=1&ShowRidesharing=true&ShowRidesharing=false

Once in Astorga, you can take a bus to Hospital. Ther´re 19 every day, and cost 4 euro. This is the link:
https://www.busbud.com/es/autobus-astorga-hospital-de-orbigo/r/eze9qr-ezecd4

You can go to Astorga from Madrid with the bus, or from Leon, with the train from Madrid. I think it is very easy from Astorga (19 buses/day) and Astorga is easy from Madrid.

Taxi from Astorga to Hospital is also cheap and faster.

Last edited:
You also have bus from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo (around 7 services per day). Check in www.alsa.es

As Alsa is also the company going from Madrid to Leon, you can take on single ticket Madrid - Hospital de Orbigo, but you will have to change bus in Leon.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Hi Everyone

For the moment i find nothing from Madrid to Hospital de Orbigo! IF you want to go from Madrid to Leon, look here : https://www.goeuro.com/travel-search2/results/876202395/bus?v=wa_dw_bwg:on. Nothing from Hospital to Leon! Can you make other arrangement?
I find something! https://www.alsa.es , but you can not reserve the tickets now, only 2 month BEFORE you go! I made a scenario for march, and look - https://www.alsa.es/checkout?p_auth=pDI13aVe&p_p_id=PurchasePortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_PurchasePortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet_javax.portlet.action=searchJourneysAction&code=&serviceType=&accessible=0&originStationNameId=Madrid+Aeropuerto+T4&originStationId=5555&destinationStationNameId=Hospital+de+Orbigo&destinationStationId=986&departureDate=30/03/2018&locationMode=&passengerType-1=1&passengerType-4=0&passengerType-5=0&passengerType-2=0&passengerType-3=0&numPassengers=1®ionalZone=&travelType=OUTWARD&LIFERAY_SHARED_isTrainTrip=false&promoCode=&jsonAlsaPassPassenger=&jsonVoucherPassenger=
Sorry for my english!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone

Personally, I'd take a taxi. The fare is per Taxi, not per passenger, will be split between all who ride.

Should be a no-brainer. Frequent fast train service to Astorga from Madrid (less than 3 hours; check renfe website). From there it's less than 20 k to Hospital. Lots of buses via ALSA / Busbud from Astorga to Hospital, or quick cab ride. Astorga is much closer to Hospital than is Leon.

Modifying my previous post: I did a check for buses from both Leon and Astorga to Hospital on Alsa. If you check too far in advance, it will not show any buses scheduled for most days of the week, but if you check a week or so in advance, it will show lots of buses from each place to Hospital (20 minutes from Astorga, 35 minutes from Leon). So it seems Alsa simply doesn't list its schedule more than a week or so in advance.

Overall, there are actually more trains into Leon than to Astorga from Madrid, and the ride is closer to 2 hours than 3. Also, the bus station is Leon is 450 meters from the train station while the bus and train stations in Astorga are 850 meters apart (per google maps).

A taxi from Leon will be more expensive. It's 34 k to Hospital vs. 16 k. from Astorga. But the difference in cost might be made up by the fact that the train tickets are cheaper.

So, overall, whether you go by bus or taxi from Leon or Astorga, it might make more sense to go to Leon.

Plus, there's the option of going from Madrid to Leon by bus, and then hopping on the local bus to Hospital without changing stations. The disadvantage of this is that the Madrid to Leon leg on the bus is approximately 4 hours vs. 2 hours on the fastest trains.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
https://www.busradar.es/busqueda/?From=Madrid&To=Hospital+de+Órbigo&When=2018-06-01&WhenReturn=&Passengers=1&ShowRidesharing=true&ShowRidesharing=false

Once in Astorga, you can take a bus to Hospital. Ther´re 19 every day, and cost 4 euro. This is the link:
https://www.busbud.com/es/autobus-astorga-hospital-de-orbigo/r/eze9qr-ezecd4

You can go to Astorga from Madrid with the bus, or from Leon, with the train from Madrid. I think it is very easy from Astorga (19 buses/day) and Astorga is easy from Madrid.

Taxi from Astorga to Hospital is also cheap and faster.
Greeat info, thank you

You also have bus from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo (around 7 services per day). Check in www.alsa.es

As Alsa is also the company going from Madrid to Leon, you can take on single ticket Madrid - Hospital de Orbigo, but you will have to change bus in Leon.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!
Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally, I'd take a taxi. The fare is per Taxi, not per passenger, will be split between all who ride.
I wouldn't have thought of catching a taxi all the way from Madrid, but it's a great idea pending how the cost works out. I will try to source that information too. Thank you!

Modifying my previous post: I did a check for buses from both Leon and Astorga to Hospital on Alsa. If you check too far in advance, it will not show any buses scheduled for most days of the week, but if you check a week or so in advance, it will show lots of buses from each place to Hospital (20 minutes from Astorga, 35 minutes from Leon). So it seems Alsa simply doesn't list its schedule more than a week or so in advance.

Overall, there are actually more trains into Leon than to Astorga from Madrid, and the ride is closer to 2 hours than 3. Also, the bus station is Leon is 450 meters from the train station while the bus and train stations in Astorga are 850 meters apart (per google maps).

A taxi from Leon will be more expensive. It's 34 k to Hospital vs. 16 k. from Astorga. But the difference in cost might be made up by the fact that the train tickets are cheaper.

So, overall, whether you go by bus or taxi from Leon or Astorga, it might make more sense to go to Leon.

Plus, there's the option of going from Madrid to Leon by bus, and then hopping on the local bus to Hospital without changing stations. The disadvantage of this is that the Madrid to Leon leg on the bus is approximately 4 hours vs. 2 hours on the fastest trains.
That is all great info - that you very much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No problem. Good luck. Plenty of choices making it easy enough getting from Madrid to Hospital in the same day. Btw, I don't think that Anniesantiago meant for you to take a taxi from Madrid -- that would be incredibly expensive -- but only from Leon or Atorga to Hospital.

I wouldn't have thought of catching a taxi all the way from Madrid, but it's a great idea pending how the cost works out. I will try to source that information too. Thank you!

You might try contacting Caminofacil on their website and asking what they'd charge for a taxi.

If you are coming to Hospital de Orbigo, all of you will be very welcome at Albergue San Miguel. Where you can leave your impressions doing a painting. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are coming to Hospital de Orbigo, all of you will be very welcome at Albergue San Miguel. Where you can leave your impressions doing a painting. Buen Camino.
Thank you so much however we already have a booking at Hostal Paso Honroso, as I thought we could not stay at an Albergue if we arrive by car/bus/train. However after the Medieval Festival, we will be going to SJPDP and walking to Santiago, so we may stay with you then. :)

1434 - Passage of Honor. Hospital de Orbigo
Every year, the first weekend of June, there is a renactment of the extraordinary events around the feast of saint James. Suero de Quiñones with nine other knigths, isssued a challenge to all noble and gentle persons passing on the Camino. He declared himself to be locked in a prison of love, from which he could only be released by breaking 300 lances. Jousts to decide the issue were held in the meadows at the side of the bridge. One knight died, nine were wounded. Suero de Quiñones, free from his prison, started his pilgrimage to Santiago and twenty years later was killed by one of the challengers.
About 200 years after this happened, Miguel de Cervantes wrote Don Quixote, which is a comment of all of this.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why are you going directly to Hospital de Orbigo? Just curious.

Arturo Garcia has given a much better reply than I could have LOL
I wasn't aware of the history - I just just knew there was a "Medieval Festival" happening that weekend.
(many thanks Arturo - knowing the history will enhance our experience).

Ah, okay. I happened to be there during that celebration in 2016. Everybody in the town was dressed in medieval costumes, there were camels in the parade and lots of festivities. It was hard to get a bed, but I managed to get one in the municipal. There are lots of Spanish tourists visiting Hospital de Orbigo for that fiesta, and the hospitalera let them wander through the albergue to gaze at the "pilgrims." One took a picture of me hanging my laundry on the line. It was like we were in a zoo! :D There were some fun things about it, but it went on until about 3am and it was hard to sleep. After happening into several of these festivals in villages and towns along the route, I would say I generally prefer to avoid them. Lots of crowds and commercial stuff. Logrono during the wine festival in the fall was the absolute worst, with everybody drunk, littering and peeing on the street. I had hoped to tour some of my favorite wineries while there, but ended up hiding in the albergue with take-out tapas. Leon during the 1000 year anniversary of the founding of the city was crowded, but it had some nice features; like a parade of people dancing in local costumes from surrounding pueblos along with ox carts. I was lucky to have booked a bed in a hostal on the second floor so I could watch it from above (plus it was on my birthday).

The one holiday celebration I did enjoy was St. James day in a tiny village on the way to Finisterre. It was the one day a year they brought in a priest to open the beautiful 11th century church. The little old ladies BBQed sardines for us and had us join them, jumping over the fire, which is an old tradition on that day.

Ah, okay. I happened to be there during that celebration in 2016. Everybody in the town was dressed in medieval costumes, there were camels in the parade and lots of festivities. It was hard to get a bed, but I managed to get one in the municipal. There are lots of Spanish tourists visiting Hospital de Orbigo for that fiesta, and the hospitalera let them wander through the albergue to gaze at the "pilgrims." One took a picture of me hanging my laundry on the line. It was like we were in a zoo! :D There were some fun things about it, but it went on until about 3am and it was hard to sleep. After happening into several of these festivals in villages and towns along the route, I would say I generally prefer to avoid them. Lots of crowds and commercial stuff. Logrono during the wine festival in the fall was the absolute worst, with everybody drunk, littering and peeing on the street. I had hoped to tour some of my favorite wineries while there, but ended up hiding in the albergue with take-out tapas. Leon during the 1000 year anniversary of the founding of the city was crowded, but it had some nice features; like a parade of people dancing in local costumes from surrounding pueblos along with ox carts. I was lucky to have booked a bed in a hostal on the second floor so I could watch it from above (plus it was on my birthday).

The one holiday celebration I did enjoy was St. James day in a tiny village on the way to Finisterre. It was the one day a year they brought in a priest to open the beautiful 11th century church. The little old ladies BBQed sardines for us and had us join them, jumping over the fire, which is an old tradition on that day.

ps - I liked the version of the old story I heard from a local in Hospital de Orbigo. He told me that the knight's love was not returned by the lady he loved. So to win her over, he set out to slay 300 knights, which he did. He went back to her and she looked at him and said, "Naw, I'm still not interested." (I paraphrased that)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That´s also a nice version of the History. In more than 600 years is normal to have many versions.
The good thing, keeping apart the noise, crowds and paparazzis. The people in this specific celebration in Hospital de orbigo can drink but nobody gets really drunk or violent. Is very safe, nice and unique. it last 48 hrs. with activities all day and night. Medieval mass, dinner eating with your hands, midnight torch march, fireworks, music concert. and the Joustings on the side of the bridge during the day, middle age market, music on the streets. Lot of Fun!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back