• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help - How can I get from Paris to SJPP by train??

adri_5

Hey everyone,

I've run into a bit of a glitch while planning for my Camino.

I arrive in Paris at 10:30am on Tuesday, April 28. I was supposed to take a flight to Biarritz, but I waited too long (KICKING myself) and that flight is no longer available, and the other flights are now ridiculously expensive. The last train from Bayonne to SJPP is at 6:12pm but I can't seem to find any train schedules (or other flights) that will allow me to get from Paris to Bayonne in time to catch that train!!

Does anyone have any advice about this? Perhaps I'm missing something...? I've been on the SNCF website all night and can't seem to find anything.

Thank you in advance for your help. If worse comes to worse I will stay in Bayonne overnight and start out the next morning, but I was hoping to be in SJPP and spend the night there on the 28th. Whatever will happen will happen, but I want to be sure :)

Thanks again,
Adriana

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do what a lot of us have done - stay overnight in Bayonne and take the first train in the morning to SJPdP. That will get you there in time to stop at the Pilgrim Office, see the sights and walk up to Orisson to spend the night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am flying into Paris on the 2nd of April. Since my flight does not arrive until the late afternoon, the only train that I would be able to make was leaving Paris at 23:10 to Bayonne. Air France has a charter bus ( Air France Coach #4 Line )going out to Gare de Lyon and Gare de Austerlitz ( short walk from Gare de Lyon across the bridge). My train is not a TVG, but I arrive in Bayonne 06:33 the next morning. I still need to verify the time but I believe the first train from Bayonne out to SJPP is 08:20. Most of the information for getting transportation from Paris to SJPP, I found researching in the forums. Check with the Rail Europe web site for train times from Paris to Bayonne.

Take Care,

Mike V.

Both times that I have flown into Paris I have just gone straight to the TGV station at Charles de Gaulle and caught a TGV straight out. Sometimes you might have to shorten your journey details into the website - maybe not put in the St Jean part and perhaps just put in the Biarritz part and then work from there. I remember that when I was researching how to get to Toulouse that is what I did. I googled Roissy TGV to Biarritz and found out heaps. IF there is a train from Roissy it is much simpler and quicker because you don't have to change trains in the city.

Good Luck, Janet

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-trai ... tats?hid=5

I hope that site works. (if not, type in http://www.voyages-sncf.fr and type in Paris to St. Jean Pied de Port, date and time desired etc.)
There is a night train from Paris Austerlitz at 23h10 (on the 28th) arriving at 6h33 in Bayonne, then leaves from Bayonne at 8h24 to arrive at St. Jean Pied de Port at 9h37(on the 29th)...and there is a promotion right now so the ticket is only 54€.
Then there is a morning train on the 29ththat leaves at 10h10 from Paris Montparnasse 1 et 2 arriving at 16h14 at SJPP. I will be taking this train.

I hope that helps!
mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
try to google bundes bahn. They have an consumer friendly site of all European train schedules. Unfortunately no prices outside German trains.
-T-

Thanks, everyone - your comments are both reassuring and helpful :)

I'll check at the train station when I get to Paris if there's any way for me to get to SJPP that night, buf if not I'll stay over at Bayonne and go in the next morning, and stay at Orisson the night of the 29th as planned. It is what it is! I'm so, so excited :)

- Adriana

adri_5 said:
Thanks, everyone - your comments are both reassuring and helpful :)

I'll check at the train station when I get to Paris if there's any way for me to get to SJPP that night, buf if not I'll stay over at Bayonne and go in the next morning, and stay at Orisson the night of the 29th as planned. It is what it is! I'm so, so excited :)

- Adriana
Hello,
I just checked http://www.bahn.de (Easy to use-site) From Paris Gare d´Austerlitz 23.00 to Bayonne, you´ll be there at 6.33 From Bayonne 8.24 to SjPdP you´ll be there at 9.37
Hope this will help.
-T-

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back