• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Identify 1997 Image Location

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only large body of water I can recall passing between St Jean and Santiago was the reservoir above Logroño.

Logroño was my first thought as well, but I simply do not recognise this spot, but then again, suspect much has changed over the years. Also, unsure of his start location.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did he start before St Jean?
Looking on Google maps there is a small lake about 1 km "East South East" of St Jean.
Between it and St Jean is a campsite.
If you look at the lake on Satellite view............. it's a possibility.

Did he start before St Jean? ...

The family is unsure of his start location. I was wondering if this was a pre-Camino hike, but the family believes he talked about this picture during the actual Camino. Having said that, he took this journey over a 3-month period, which complicates pinpointing this spot.

he took this journey over a 3-month period, which complicates pinpointing this spot.
If he walked for three months, he may have taken the Via Podiensis (or another route) through France, which opens up many possibilities. Somewhere on the river Lot, perhaps? I don't see a uniquely identifying feature in the photograph but perhaps something will trigger a memory for someone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This picture is of my father-in-law taken around 1997 (+/-) at the age of 78 (+/-). The family knows that he walked the Camino Frances and that he was in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port; however, do not know if SJPdP was the start point.

If anyone may recognise this spot, it would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 56834
The other large body of water is at Portomarin

When seeing this picture my first thought was the recreational area behind Logrono, because on the left side you see pine trees which are very uncommon for river Banks. I am sure, that it is not Portomarin. When approaching the lake of Portomarin you hit a very busy street. This street was already there in 2007 and it was not new at that time. So it should have been there in 1997 as well.

When seeing this picture my first thought was the recreational area behind Logrono, because on the left side you see pine trees which are very uncommon for river Banks. I am sure, that it is not Portomarin. When approaching the lake of Portomarin you hit a very busy street. This street was already there in 2007 and it was not new at that time. So it should have been there in 1997 as well.

I agree, I think it could easily be the reservoir above Logroño.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Both the shape of the lake and what you can make out on the horizon as shown on the photo fit the Embalse de La Grajera near Logroño. Coming from Logroño, you can walk around the reservoir either on the left or on the right. The Camino trail as marked by yellow arrows turns right. However, if you turn left you get views across the water and to the slightly elevated area on the other side that are very similar to the photo. See images on the web or Google Street View.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think it was a low cloud that appears as a lake. I thought I saw a lake and as I went on the curve of the path and looked again I realized it was a cloud.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Both the shape of the lake and what you can make out on the horizon as shown on the photo fit the Embalse de La Grajera near Logroño. ...

Thank you! I will also look further into this area and see if I can find some photos from that period.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think it was a low cloud that appears as a lake. I thought I saw a lake and as I went on the curve of the path and looked again I realized it was a cloud.
Whatever it is and I would imagine it's a lake

It's such a serene and beautiful photograph .......an elderly gentleman ....resting ..or contemplating ...lovely
Frame it

I didn't see reflections of trees. I thought it unusual it didn't shine like a lake would. It was a cloud below me, I'm sure

My gut instinct is, its the reservoir just beyond Logrono, which is now developed into a recreational area. His instinct would have been to walk near the water. No doubt some local tracks back then as fishing on the lake is popular in Spring. Lovely photo!

€149,-
Alas, lots of "ifs", but having been along there three times, and checking my photos, I agree, it very well could be Embalse de La Grajera. Just minutia, but apparently the dam & reservoir were built in 1883 and expanded in 1999 to what it is now. Even with changes over the years, I want to believe it's this lake ;-) Good luck with your search, @RefugeInsomniac, and please let us know what you find!

Any mention here of person who took the picture?

Any mention here of person who took the picture?

The photo was taken by his wife, but both passed away in 2002 and 03.

My wife had intended to walk the Camino upon her retirement in memory of her father, but in 2007 was diagnosed with MS and unable to walk. My first Camino in 2013 was as a proxy for my wife, with the intent to write each day and send photos. Upon my return, I realised the impact the journey had on me and walked again in 2014 for myself... and I'm still walking :)

€149,-
The photo was taken by his wife, but both passed away in 2002 and 03.

My wife had intended to walk the Camino upon her retirement in memory of her father, but in 2007 was diagnosed with MS and unable to walk. My first Camino in 2013 was as a proxy for my wife, with the intent to write each day and send photos. Upon my return, I realised the impact the journey had on me and walked again in 2014 for myself... and I'm still walking :)
Buen camino, pilgrim. Some fine day, you will know where that photo was taken!

If he walked for 3 months, and possibly walked from Le Puy, the place that popped into my mind when I saw the photo is the resevoir just south of Arzacq-Arraziguet. I did a quick google to see if this resevoir was there at that time, but couldn't find the info. Someone else may have more success.

@RefugeInsomniac, are there any other photos, and if so, is there any way that you can guess their sequence? Assuming that your father-in-law is facing the direction in which they walked the lake is clearly on his right. The images below do not prove anything but I think they do not rule out the La Grajera reservoir 😊. I remember it mainly as facing it as we approached the long stone wall and steep artificial pebble shore behind it. We then turned right and into some wooded area and were never close to the shore again, I think. But you can definitely walk on the other side and closer to its natural shore (see map).

The third image is a screenshot from Google Earth, I don't know about the middle photo. The horizon obviously changes with your position. I think you need to go back and walk around the whole La Grajera lake, with the photo in your hand. 🙂

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Kathar1na Good idea. The next time I walk, I will wander around this area a bit more to perhaps gain a better perspective. The direction he is facing was of initial interest to me but then thought, that it may not matter and could skew the search, based on a simple matter of him facing the opposite direction for a variety of reasons, or the original scan was reversed. I am also unaware of the Camino path in 1997, as having walked 4-times myself, I have noticed changes. Additionally, he was rather adventurous and walked his own path as it were; a rather gregarious individual who loved telling stories and having people around him. In regards to additional pictures, I am unaware of any, as this is the only one we have. Thanks for your interest and suggestions. Cheers, Dave

Thanks for your interest and suggestions
I just love this kind of puzzle 😊. So far, only two other possibilities have turned up: a lake near Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port called lac Harrietta and another reservoir on the trail from Le Puy called Arzacq-Arraziguet. I walked from Tours - walkers from Le Puy and from Tours share the same trail when approaching SJPP - and I think the lake Harrietta can be ruled out, due to the different panorama but also because it is not "natural" to walk past it, even when someone walks their own path, a habit I fully understand and support 😊. This small lake is not an evident stop on the way from France to Spain.

Just before Logroño is the Embalse de Las Cañas. It's only about 1 km to the right of the Camino trail when walking towards Logroño. We didn't see it from the trail but I was aware of its existence. However, I don't have a "feel" for what's it's like there as I didn't visit it.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On a less worn path taken over 20 years ago near Logroño .
Definitely not on GR65

Another consideration, could it be the nature reserve between Vianna and Logrono?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 57121
These coordinates we're attached to the picture... your location where photo was copied or where it was taken! Good luck!

Too funny, you just pinpointed my home! The actual picture is on our wall, which I took down and took a picture of with my cell phone ( scanner is broken) and posted in this forum. We recently sold our home in Kingston Ontario and moved to Middle Sackville Nova Scotia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just love this kind of puzzle 😊. So far, only two other possibilities have turned up: a lake near Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port called lac Harrietta and another reservoir on the trail from Le Puy called Arzacq-Arraziguet. I walked from Tours - walkers from Le Puy and from Tours share the same trail when approaching SJPP - and I think the lake Harrietta can be ruled out, due to the different panorama but also because it is not "natural" to walk past it, even when someone walks their own path, a habit I fully understand and support 😊. This small lake is not an evident stop on the way from France to Spain.

Just before Logroño is the Embalse de Las Cañas. It's only about 1 km to the right of the Camino trail when walking towards Logroño. We didn't see it from the trail but I was aware of its existence. However, I don't have a "feel" for what's it's like there as I didn't visit it.

another lake that popped into my mind is fairly big lac du broussau after aire-sous-l'adour on via podiensis. it was created in 1995 so it's a possibility if the father-in-law walked from le puy.
this is an image from google maps but there are many more possibilites as the route hugs the eastern shore (you walk with the lake on your right) for its whole length. I'm not sure if the route at the time went here as well but there probably were local paths.
lac brussau.jpg

Last edited:
another lake that popped into my mind is fairly big lac du broussau after aire-sous-l'adour on via podiensis. it was created in 1995 so it's a possibility if the father-in-law walked from le puy....

Very interesting and I appreciate your diligence. We (family) will have much to discuss at the next family reunion. Also, this makes me want to walk another Camino... :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I believe I got it -even with the exact location, in Embalse de la Grajera. Look at this youtube video, at 1:40. What looks in your photo as a fallen branch tree is probably from a pine at right. The angle of your photo is a bit different and closer, it was taken in the rain season and the level of water was higher, but the marshy section at left and the general topography seems as a match.

Last edited:
Very interesting and I appreciate your diligence. We (family) will have much to discuss at the next family reunion. Also, this makes we want to walk another Camino... :)
you're welcome. there are trees all along the shore, I promise, even through they are not visible in the still-shot.
ah, via podiensos is one of my favourite caminos (so far). the memories... :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just saw this image on IG, but this would be pre SJPD. If he did start long before this may be a possibility D6A62D6E-C54A-432C-82EE-B63F88B9DFC8.jpeg

This picture is of my father-in-law taken around 1997 (+/-) at the age of 78 (+/-). The family knows that he walked the Camino Frances and that he was in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port; however, do not know if SJPdP was the start point.

If anyone may recognise this spot, it would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 56834
Yeah, I'm gonna go with the reservoir behind Logrono. I was there just this morning. He's facing the wrong direction, as behind him would be the way to go, but it seems like there are gray parts of the bridge that the men were fishing from this morning showing through behind the pine branch. There's a path behind him that goes slightly uphill and heads to the snack bar I had breakfast at.

The bushes in the background on the left in this photo would be my guess, the gap that shows up in light brown:

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back