• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help identifying an animal

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016; Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre/Muxia 2017; Aragones 2018; Suso/Yuso, Meseta 2019
This past April after enjoying a delicious tapa at La Siesta Food Truck shortly beyond Camponaraya in the woods, I had just a very brief sighting of an animal with a beautiful longish redish brown coat. It could have been my Border collie except that she was at home in Texas. This animal appeared to be medium size, larger than I might expect a fox to be. Would it have been a fox, or perhaps something else?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree, most likely fox. The animal that I saw must have been a larger fox! I think of fox as being smaller than my perception of this animal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We spotted a wolf once on the Sanabrés and a friend took a pic of him (only caught the backside...). The locals did say it was a wolf but it was dark, no red at all that I can remember....:confused:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Local genetic variations are very common amongst Vulpes . I once came across a pitch black coated Vixen that had been killed by a car . In our rural locality a feral ' dog ' had been sighted worrying sheep many times , it was considered too large to be a fox , yet it was certainly one on examination after it had been dispatched .
This variation has happened all within the scant 200 years since they were imported to this continent , I would imagine that greater variations are bound to have occured in the tens of thousands of years of their existence in Europe .

I think hybrids are just beginning to take hold across many continents Canada/ US the wolf/ coyote has emerged. Polar bears/ Grizzlies.
Domestic dogs also seem to get into the mix with Wolves. Amazing the color variations with wolves.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is this like the "name the green vegetable" thread... My 2 cents worth is that it could well be a Welsh Collie, they are like the black and white Border Collie, only red and white, I've seen a few on Spanish farms. I can do better in naming the animal on your avatar @Sparrow in Texas, it's a Fresian Cow... Do I win a prize?

Well, I was wondering about the cow also. Thank you!:):)

I do not have a Facebook account or I would have messaged the La Siesta Food Truck man to ask about animals in that area.

Last edited:
Plenty of foxes in Australia but saw the biggest fox I’ve ever seen while on the CF in that wild stretch before Astorga after where David’s stall is located. That fox was just about as big as a medium sized dog. He was standing proud looking at me as I walked towards him before turning and running off but not in any great hurry. I’m used to the English sort of fox. Small, fast, and shy. Nope, this guy was something totally different. Had the look of a dingo about him but not as big and I am sure he was a fox.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.