• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Kanga pick a camino for 2017

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
@Anniesantiago I'm taking my cousin on her first camino, wanting to give her a mix of companionship on the road but without the crowds of the CF, a bit of time for introspection but not over the top. We're going end April, early May. A good choice do you think?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Anniesantiago I'm taking my cousin on her first camino, wanting to give her a mix of companionship on the road but without the crowds of the CF, a bit of time for introspection but not over the top. We're going end April, early May. A good choice do you think?

Hi, Kanga,
I don't think you'll find anything that approaches "companionship on the road" unless the numbers increase dramatically next year. It's still very solitary, I think. Aragones is shorter but might be that mix. Or Portugues from Porto? (then you can get both the companionship with (after Tui) crowds and without (Porto to Tui) crowds. How many days will you be walking?

Hi, Kanga,
I don't think you'll find anything that approaches "companionship on the road" unless the numbers increase dramatically next year. It's still very solitary, I think. Aragones is shorter but might be that mix. Or Portugues from Porto? (then you can get both the companionship with (after Tui) crowds and without (Porto to Tui) crowds. How many days will you be walking?

Laurie, Jane has 25 days and I have another 5. We would like to stick to Spain as our flights are booked. We fly into Madrid and out of Santiago, arriving on 19th April (so still early spring). It would be good if Jane could get her Compostela.

I've walked the CF twice in the last year so would quite like to do something new. Although if push comes to shove it would be fine. I've never walked any of the other routes in Spain, apart from the Norte. I doubt we will be fit enough to tackle something like the San Salvatore straight off, unless we take it really slowly. But the Primitivo should certainly be doable.

I do so dislike these decisions! I like to just walk, preferably a reasonably long distance. Which is why I finish up on the CF so often.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laurie, Jane has 25 days and I have another 5. We would like to stick to Spain as our flights are booked. We fly into Madrid and out of Santiago, arriving on 19th April (so still early spring). It would be good if Jane could get her Compostela.

I've walked the CF twice in the last year so would quite like to do something new. Although if push comes to shove it would be fine. I've never walked any of the other routes in Spain, apart from the Norte. I doubt we will be fit enough to tackle something like the San Salvatore straight off, unless we take it really slowly. But the Primitivo should certainly be doable.

I do so dislike these decisions! I like to just walk, preferably a reasonably long distance. Which is why I finish up on the CF so often.

Well, you might consider the Vdlp, at that time of year it is beautiful. Wildflowers, green, lots of babbling brooks (and maybe a few streams to ford to boot). LesBrass is about to finish and has kept a blog, kiwi-family was there last year and also had one, and I'm sure there are plenty others. There are plenty of easy to get to starting places for a 25 day walk.

No camino can top its cities, IMO -- Sevilla, Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora (Ooooooh, Zamora), Ourense. There's enough choice and few enough pilgrims that you don't have to worry about booking, at least that has been my experience. I started once in mid April and once on May 1 and got hit with spring in full bloom.

I'm still undecided about my camino next year, too. By this time of year, I usually have my flights booked, but I am just unable to bite the bullet and choose!

Went looking at LesBrass' blog. Glorious photos. Looks heavenly.

You could start in Salamanca. It is an easy train or bus ride from Madrid.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Kanga we had quite a few other pilgrims around us to Salamanca... lots seemed to be walking just that section and certainly the group broke up in this city. (That could have been just our group or the time of year) It's been such an amazing journey I'm not sure I could pick my favourite section... Caceres was a standout place and also the hills around A Gudina... I can't believe it's over now... walking will never be the same after the vdlp... we'll not until the norte next year :rolleyes:

Salamanca to Santiago de Compostela seems very doable with the time we have. I could then go on to walk the Finisterre. I hate to miss Merida and Caceres. I will just have to come back and start from Seville another day. And thank you @LesBrass for the feedback on pilgrim numbers in Salamanca, it would be good to start with others doing the same thing.

Greetings Forum,
Tigger (Jane) Kanga's cousin here.
I have been reading this forum now for a couple of weeks with interest and am very much looking forward to our adventure next April/ May. This is my first post and I am such a newbie. I am looking with an open mind and a body slowly being 'conditioned' by our practice walks. So much enjoyment to be experienced and I am trying not to gather 'expectations' and just go will the flow.
Kanga, just look at the decision process as 'mini mind walks' and let them add to our experience. You know I don't mind where we walk as it is all good and fresh for me.
Thankyou LesBrass (sorry I don't know how to link) I enjoyed your blog on the vdlp.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are fit enough, in 25 days you should be able to start in Cáceres and make it to Santiago.

Another good choice might be Camino de Madrid and then Francés onto Santiago; for you, CF might seem not so appealing, but for a new pilgrim, it is the best camino.

PS right now on the telly, we see images of O Cebreiro covered in snow, and also Camino de El Salvador is not doable now because of snow.

Hola Jill - given your time frame how about combining a bit of tourist/history with the Camino. Say train down to Sevilla, bus to Merida, Caceres then start walking somewhere near Salamanca (say Fuenterroble de Salvatierra - the buses usually stop here - enroute to Salamanca). This would still give you (approx) 535 km to walk, or from Salamanca 480 km (approx) via Ourense. Cheers

Mike, I think I'll come back and do the rest another day anyway. Salamanca to SDC this time, with me walking on alone to Finisterre if there is time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Kanga - are you sure that you want a quieter Camino for her or is it that you have done the CF enough times and want something quieter for yourself? ;) - It may be, as a first time pilgrim, that Tigger would Love the CF, with all that it has to offer - just a thought.
Mind you - a quieter Camino that is also wonderful ...hmmm ... I know you want to stay in Spain but have you thought of the possibility of starting somewhere in France? Moissac would be a good choice (has a railway station) ... ten days or so walking through beautiful friendly hospitable France .. utterly fit to stroll over to Roncesvalles .. and then maybe finish at Logrono, that fine city? Just a thought.

@Kanga, coming late to the thread...
But how about a twist, beginning in either Toledo on the sureste, or Avila:
Then this 4 0r 5 day Camino from Avila (commemorating St Teresa):
http://www.turismolamorana.com/que-visitar/rutas-por-la-morana/ruta-teresiana
http://www.turismolamorana.com/images/lamorana/rutas/de_la_cuna_al_sepulcro/plano_ruta_2015.pdf
At Alba de Tormes (the end of this walk) is an easy day's walk from Salamanca, so on to Santiago on the Via de la Plata. Voila!
Edit--forget Toledo--Sorry, I just looked up how far it is. :confused: But the main twist is the Avila to Salamanca part anyway.

Last edited:
Hi @David, just saw your post. Yes, I think Tigger would love the CF but I've walked it three times in the last year and a half! Tigger has never been to Spain but she has spent time in France, so Spain wins this time (apart from the fact I've walked the Le Puy twice) - and it also means we finish in Santiago de Compostela. For me, a pilgrimage. Which is important. @Viranani we do want a reasonably sociable route, and not too ambitious in terms of distance - I'd pick the CF if I hadn't walked it so recently.

Now - additional excitement - my friend Robyn, with whom I walked the CF last year, is also coming! She has booked her ticket. We be dangerous, folks. The Three Musketeers.

Salamanca to SDC on the Via de la Plata and the Sanabrés "feels right".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Kanga,

IMHO, this is a great decision. I think you're absolutely right that Salamanca to Santiago will have that feeling you are looking for. It's true that the first two/three days from Salamanca to Zamora are not the best of the Vdlp, mainly because of roads and highways, but the fields will be green and beautiful in spring. Think of it this way -- you're not "missing" Merida and Caceres any more than you are "missing" Barcelona and Madrid -- none of those cities are on this year's pilgrimage route, that's all.

And a threesome! That sounds like a great combination. But I can up you one -- we will be a foursome on the Camino de Baztan! :p

Buen camino, Laurie

Which is important. @Viranani we do want a reasonably sociable route, and not too ambitious in terms of distance
I was thinking Avila would be an amazing place to start from--and from the look of it, this little Camino Teresiana is both well marked and reasonably well supported. I just found a map and it's a bit more than 100kms. So...yes, that would add 5 or 6 days. It looks great, though.
https://www.endomondo.com/routes/377844210

We be dangerous, folks. The Three Musketeers.
But I can up you one -- we will be a foursome on the Camino de Baztan! :p
Laurie, you beat me to it! But I will (very tongue in cheek) give us a name...hard to resist...the Fab Four. Watch out indeed. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would not consider the Salvador so early in the year as there will still be snow on the ground, and the Primitivo may still be very wet and muddy.

Honnestly, Porto to Santiago, with the extra bit to Fisterra and Muxia, if you want some social (and I did not find a difference in crowds before and after Tui). It's easy to get to Porto from Madrid. You could even start a bit further south, in Comimbra.

This being said, I dis not enjoy my Porto-Santiago much, would prefer to have walked the Frances again, especially in April where it will still be fairly quiet.

Other than that, head south, but it will be lacking in the social aspect.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back