• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Knees dead in Gijon. Decisions..

Sore Neculai

Time of past OR future Camino
17. 04. (2015 )
Hi dear pilgrims.

As u might guess from the title I arrived yesterday in gijon and had to take a day off because my knees decided to die. I have weak knees ( but strong legs), I managed doing last year the Camino Frances without any problems just that yesterday before starting to walk I felt that my knees are extremely weak ( I had a meniscus surgery 16 years ago), they simply would not function and was worried that they might snap ( brake) by a simple movement. Still I managed to arrive in gijon... Took a day off but still no big improvement.

MY QUESTION IS ( for those of u who did the Camino del Norte not primitivo after gijon ): if a feel a bit better after an extra day off should I continue...??? Is the landscape as breathtaking as before oviedo (lots of coastal views, ocean, beaches) or better end it here and maybe do some bus trips around this area or go on bus to Portugal to see the ocean? For me it doesn't really matter this time if I reach Santiago ( I liked a lot more finnisterre and muxia anyway) and don't need an extra compostela. Just want to know if the landscapes after gijon on the Camino are a huge miss if I stop here.

Thank u guys

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi dear pilgrims.

As u might guess from the title I arrived yesterday in gijon and had to take a day off because my knees decided to die. I have weak knees ( but strong legs), I managed doing last year the Camino Frances without any problems just that yesterday before starting to walk I felt that my knees are extremely weak ( I had a meniscus surgery 16 years ago), they simply would not function and was worried that they might snap ( brake) by a simple movement. Still I managed to arrive in gijon... Took a day off but still no big improvement.

MY QUESTION IS ( for those of u who did the Camino del Norte not primitivo after gijon ): if a feel a bit better after an extra day off should I continue... Is the landscape as breathtaking as before oviedo (lots of coastal views, ocean, beaches) or better end it here and maybe do some bus trips around this area or go on bus to Portugal to see the ocean? For me it doesn't really matter this time if I reach Santiago ( I liked a lot more finnisterre and muxia anyway) and don't need an extra compostela. Just want to know if the landscapes after gijon on the Camino are a huge miss if I stop here.

Thank u guys
You have to take care of your knees.
You will need them a lot longer than the walk you are almost to begin.
You have to listen to your body.
Wish you well and take care, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
MY QUESTION IS ( for those of u who did the Camino del Norte not primitivo after gijon ): if a feel a bit better after an extra day off should I continue...??? Is the landscape as breathtaking as before oviedo (lots of coastal views, ocean, beaches) or better end it here and maybe do some bus trips around this area or go on bus to Portugal to see the ocean? For me it doesn't really matter this time if I reach Santiago ( I liked a lot more finnisterre and muxia anyway) and don't need an extra compostela. Just want to know if the landscapes after gijon on the Camino are a huge miss if I stop here.

Thank u guys

Tthere are some spectacular sections along the coast on the camino del Norte west of Avilés. I especially liked the inland (now largely disused) section after Soto de Luiňa, with the sea far below on one side, and the Asturian highlands to your left - best done in good weather, and with fully functioning knees. Crossing the estuary of the Eo is pretty amazing as well. There are some nice towns en route, including Luarca and Ribadeo itself. Rather than continuing inland on the Norte after Ribadeo, I took the less well signed Ruta do Mar, which continues mainly along the north coast, joining the Camino Inglés near Ferrol.

So, at the risk of answering the question you asked: yes, the landscape is breathtaking and worth not missing, if you and your medical advisor are happy with the state of your knees. The pics are from near Soto de Luiña and crossing into Galicia.

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The answer rests with you, the Norte is up down hills and lots of asphalt, how heavy is your pack? See a dr as someone suggested and make your decision.

Zzotte

Follow the above advice if not already done. See a physician. Elevate the sore knee(s). Apply ice or heat as recommended by a physician.

When walking, I recommend you apply Voltaren ointment (following instructions) and use a pair of elastic knee support bandages (available at any farmacia). My knees are also very problematic as most of my meniscus cartilage is gone -removed by surgery over the years.

I had to end my Camino at Sarria this year, as a consequence of the knee issue, something similar in my ankles, and then my hips started to refuse to cooperate. So, I did feel your pain.

I hope this helps, albeit lately. I do hope you found a way to persevere and continue your Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I developed tendonitis along my shin to my ankle. Walked very slowly for a week and it got worse. I saw a doctor in Santander who said rest 2-3 days and put me on 600 mgs. ibuprofen every 8 hours and a tummy tamer. I'm extremely bored and will go nuts by tomorrow but I know my leg is not up to it yet. It's a bitch but it's my Camino.

Thank u all for the advices. I stopped walking the Camino as a pilgrim a day after asking u for advice and continued visiting the coast of Spain as a normal tourist. Right now I'm in Portugal and I am amazed how beautiful it is to be here. It's a pity that I didn't manage to continue walking but it's a total positive thing that because of that injury I got to see this country too. Porto is a mesmerizing city, Aveiro is a mix between Venice and Amsterdam. I will visit some Fishing villages too. So yeah...I did half the Camino in the traditional way and the rest, we'll in a more modern way, I not really Camino, but still beautiful because of the unexpectedly experiences and awesome places I got to see.

Thank u once again, you were awesome and extremely helpful

I stopped walking the Camino as a pilgrim a day after asking u for advice ...I did half the Camino in the traditional way and the rest, we'll in a more modern way....

@Sore Neculai: Once a Pilgrim, always a Pilgrim - and a good decision made on good grounds. I'm glad that you are enjoying Portugal. Come back to the Forum whenever you feel inclined. And look after those knees: they will want to Camino again one day ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank u all for the advices. I stopped walking the Camino as a pilgrim a day after asking u for advice and continued visiting the coast of Spain as a normal tourist. Right now I'm in Portugal and I am amazed how beautiful it is to be here. It's a pity that I didn't manage to continue walking but it's a total positive thing that because of that injury I got to see this country too. Porto is a mesmerizing city, Aveiro is a mix between Venice and Amsterdam. I will visit some Fishing villages too. So yeah...I did half the Camino in the traditional way and the rest, we'll in a more modern way, I not really Camino, but still beautiful because of the unexpectedly experiences and awesome places I got to see.

Thank u once again, you were awesome and extremely helpful

It's all good, have fun, remember that the Camino start at home (wherever that may be) but really begins at the heart :)

Ps: I loved Braga :)

Zzotte

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back