• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help - large family,3 weeks,where to start? Porto V Leon??

Familyof8

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 July
Undecided start Porto Vs Leon??
Hi , we are an Australian family of 8 & planning a July Camino for 3 weeks. Kids aged 13-23 & all fit . Trying to get the most out of our 1st Camino and hoping for some insights into the differences between a Porto V Leon Camino start. We are fit but do not want to 'Race'. We are trying to have time to spend an extra day or two along the way.
Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Although I really enjoyed the CP, and unless you take the coastal route...it's a lot of road travel. Leon is well established and, rather that making the 22-28 km stages, you can make more 16-18 km legs finishing earlier in the day. Every three or four days book into a hostal or private albergue to insure no rush no fuss.
Burn Camino,
Arn

You might like to PM Rachel, the Kiwi Mum of a family who have walked the Camino- and then some... She will have the best advice from her own experience of walking with children. Her profile page is here.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your kids are really adults, so you're an adult group walking together....and that's wonderful! You'll make fantastic memories - what a great experience to share as a family.
You mention Leon and I immediately wondered whether you might consider the Salvador and Primitivo. On the other hand, the Frances from Leon is totally doable at a gentle pace (we did it with young kids) - and the infrastructure makes it a very easy walk. That said, if we ever found ourselves back in Leon again, we would definitely turn right and head to Oviedo again - the scenery was much more spectacular (in our opinions).
Can't comment on your other option.

Your kids are really adults, so you're an adult group walking together....and that's wonderful! You'll make fantastic memories - what a great experience to share as a family.
You mention Leon and I immediately wondered whether you might consider the Salvador and Primitivo. On the other hand, the Frances from Leon is totally doable at a gentle pace (we did it with young kids) - and the infrastructure makes it a very easy walk. That said, if we ever found ourselves back in Leon again, we would definitely turn right and head to Oviedo again - the scenery was much more spectacular (in our opinions).
Can't comment on your other option.
Thanks for your reply.
We are going to do some homework on your Oviedo suggestion. Sounds like a great way to mix it up a bit.
What a great site! No doubt we will be back for some more help as we get closer.
Cheers.

Keep in mind that the July month it is very busy on the camino .On the French camino walk about 70% more people than on the Portugese caminho.
So finding a bed for you all could be much more problematic every night.

The caminho Portugues is a great walk. it has everything in it.

Bom caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello again.
We are wondering if there is a better chance of getting accomodation for 8 on the Primitivo than battling it out with hundreds every day on the Frances?
Does the Primitivo have the short stop villages on the way? Or do we need to achieve 30km a day on this route?
Appreciate any info you may have on this route to help us decide.
Many thanks!

Thanks for your reply.
We are going to do some homework on your Oviedo suggestion. Sounds like a great way to mix it up a bit.
What a great site! No doubt we will be back for some more help as we get closer.
Cheers.
Thanks. Do you think the way will be marked from Leon to join the Primivido at Oviedo?

Hi Kiwi family.
My last comment was meant for you. As you can see, I replied to myself ! This is my first attempt at joining a blog and it shows!
Appreciate any help/ thoughts re Leon to Oviedo. - Accomodation, pros V cons of battling the hordes on the Frances, or taking a quieter route like Primitivo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
camino francés from león, more chances for your kids to meet other kids their ages and more albergues, hostels, hotels...

Route from Leon to Oviedo is very well marked - you just have to deal with helpful locals as you set off telling you that the Camino is the other way (they are right - the Frances is!)
Distances needn't be 30km/day - have you looked at the gronze site? That gives fairly accurate distances.
A group of 8 is always going to be a big group no matter where you go. In fact, one of the albergues on the Salvador only had 8 beds - although there were extra mattresses and there was space to lay them out.
Everyone talks about the Primitivo being quiet - we must have just chanced an unusual hiccup......our camino family ended up being a group of well over 20 people who we met every day or so - big group. Initially we were all racing against a Russian group of a dozen and quite a few Spaniards who were happy to push in to get beds - thankfully we managed to get ahead of them. We were very relaxed on the Frances and did not worry about beds at all - possibly because there are so many options. The Primitivo stages are a bit more set in stone - we even ended up reserving ahead one night. We often got the last beds and anyone coming after us had to taxi on or back. However, I'm told this is not typical. I don't want to scare you away from it. Also, I was walking with four kids, all of whom were younger than yours so you will most probably be able to walk a lot faster than we did and so be among the early arrivers each day.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.