• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Me Drop Some Pack Weight!

WhitSF

Time of past OR future Camino
(July/August 2014 - SJPD to Santiago)
Hi,

If you're just bored as can be and want to take a critical look at my pack weight spreadsheet ... I sure would appreciate any help.

I leave tomorrow. Worried a little bit about warmth and rain.

Pack is manageable, but would love to lighten it up. See anything that you predict I'll shed quickly?

Also - should I be concerned that my pack weight PLUS the weight of what I'm wearing is ~20lb?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkuUWG9-0jRWdG51V1pSWHd5Nm9kMFhtc2xtbHZsQ2c&usp=sharing

THANKS EVERYONE & BUEN CAMINO!
Whitney

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Whitney,
Two quick thoughts: do you have the Kindle app on your iPhone? Using that instead of taking your Kindle and Kindle charger would save weight.
You don't need three bras. Wear one; wash one; the third one is just going to sit in your pack.

Hi Wawpdx,

I do have the Kindle App on my iphone, but I can't stand reading off of it + it'll drain battery much faster, + lastly ... When I turn on wifi on phone I'd lose my library books on kindle :)

Third bra is literally less than 2 oz and makes it possible to wear my evening dress :)))

Thanks so much for having a look.

Any other thoughts?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also - not bringing kindle charger. Sharing my cousin's!

Since you asked, I'll give you my opinion. You will get many opinions and most likely varied.

I took same pack as you. I left rain cover at home because my poncho did that duty.

I would not take leatherman.

I would not use the cubes, plastic bags are lighter and can serve more uses.

Skort, pants, shorts, sarong , sleep/evening, and yoga pants----that's a lot of clothes. I took one pant, one Macabi skirt and one base layer that I slept in and layered when necessary.

52 oz of water weighs more than 11 oz. That must be empty?? I just bought bottles every couple of days. Lighter and no need to clean.

I would do 2 sox instead if 3. If you want 3 of anything, I'd make it the liners.

Panties and bras: Like outer clothes, one on and one clean. Third wasn't necessary for me.

I left my kindle at home and used the kindle app on my phone. Yes it is a small screen, but you really won't be reading that much, but you will have your books when you need them. (For me if I don't read before I go to sleep, I won't sleep so I had to have something and the small screen was good enough)

Buen Camino

I am confused why you think you would lose your books on another device by downloading them to your Kindle app. I have my books on multiple devices and they sync to last page read.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Cher! I was definitely thinking of dropping some clothes. Just not sure which.

I agree that plastic bags are more versatile than packing cubes, but the weight difference is really negligible and the packing cubes are so much more durable.

That's 2 votes for no kindle. But I just love it so.

Did you have a nice poncho? Mine is a cheaply, that's why I was keeping rain cover too. No need you think?

Why three liner socks vs outers? I don't plan on doubling up socks anyway. Bringing the thin ones in case I need to double up or need a less hot sock.

Thanks for your help!!

Library books disappear after the 3 week check out limit. But they generally only disappear when you connect to wifi. Otherwise they stick around :) So my plan is to keep my kindle in airplane mode.

Welcome,
Also noticed no water wt. included and no snack/food wt. considered.
11 oz. for two bottles is heavy. Two - 1 ltr. Smartwater bottles = 4.25 ozs.
Kindle? Poncho & rain jacket?
Seems like a lot of clothes, but just knit picking. Really looks good and if you're comfortable carrying 20+lbs + water+ food then you are all set to go.
Buen Camino! Have fun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok....

Skort or shorts?

Silk dress or yoga pants?

2 water bottles or hydration bladder?

Poncho & pack rain cover? Or just poncho?

Mini leather man? (Need knife!)

Generally, if you're down at 7.2 kg (sorry, we Europeans tend to get lost with oz. and miles), your pretty well on target. Here my couple of cents worth:
- Water bottles > buy half-litre mineral bottles –one at the time, Meseta maybe two– and refill or replace on the way.
- Headlamp > use a flash light app on your iPhone
- 2 pairs of wool socks , one wear – one clean will do
- Wine bottle opener > in Spain's bars and restaurants, they serve in glasses. On the trail, you don't carry wine bottles and if you do, there always will be someone with an opener.
- cutting board-plate > what for?
- Kindle > use an app
- Clothes > as a male, I don't qualify to comment, just in general: take with you only bare essentials, you can buy stuff on the go, Spain is not a third-world country.
- Pillow case > get a couple of linen bags for laundry/clothes and use them also as pillows.
Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok....

Skort or shorts?

Mini leather man? (Need knife!)[/QUOTE

All opinions! Top two - go for comfort!
Water bottles
Poncho only
Swiss Army Classic (small one)

Thanks for your input Pano!

Will drop wine opener.

Was trying to avoid plastic water bottles, but will go get a 1 liter smart water bottle to start (as someone suggested).

I'm skiddish about less than 3 socks. Wanna make sure that I have a backup if one pair wears funny.

Linen bag? Not sure what that is.

Cutting board/plate is just a flimsy piece of plastic. Figured it might be nice for cutting crap up, eating off of. Can throw it out with no concern.

iphone flashlight is good option, but not a hands free option.

Kindle App - Argh!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Keep the 3 pairs of socks, start with fresh new socks, anything you have trained with will break down. Ditch the drain plug, albergues have stacks of plastic wash trays. instead of wet ones, get a small pack of flushable Cottonelle wipes in the travel section at Target. Two 500ml water bottles will be fine, on longer stretches, buy a 500ml or 1L bottle of water, usually less than €0.50 at the supermercado. For a knife, Opinel No.10, covers your knife and corkscrew needs, found cheaper on Ebay.

Last edited:
Skort or shorts - the lighter pair of the two, you don't need both. Also a skort presumably dries slower as there are more layers of material?
Keep the poncho, lose the rain jacket and pack cover (but you might want to get a poncho that isn't flimsy, like an Altus, for the strong Galician wind and rain).
Silk dress can't weigh much, yoga pants can be used for layering, keep them both (provided you lost two items already).
Take three pairs of socks - there will be days when one pair is wet because there is no drying weather, one is wet from walking and you need a fresh pair - but you don't need thick and thin ones. Wool socks and thin practically weightless liner socks are a win!
I agree with leaving the Kindle, you'll probably have little time to read anyway.

Good luck and buen camino!

Hi,

If you're just bored as can be and want to take a critical look at my pack weight spreadsheet ... I sure would appreciate any help.

Pack is manageable, but would love to lighten it up. See anything that you predict I'll shed quickly?

Also - should I be concerned that my pack weight PLUS the weight of what I'm wearing is ~20lb?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkuUWG9-0jRWdG51V1pSWHd5Nm9kMFhtc2xtbHZsQ2c&usp=sharing

Whitney

Whitney:

7.2 kg's is a pretty good pack weight.

There are things you have that I would not take. That said, your comfort level might require them.

My first pack was 12 kg's. This year it was 9 kg's. Next year I am sure it will be less:).

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Whitney
A fair list really .

1- re the 3 bras , keep your 3rd special one if you want it, and leave one of the other 2 behind. You will only need the two.
2- the eating bag. Nothing needed in that lot. I took a spork, it broke. I took a lid for a plate, and used it once, but didn't need to. The pkt of wet ones not a necessity. Take a purse pack of tissues and replace as you go. They are very useful.

3- is the small Vaseline pot and the gold friction bar for the same purpose? Ie double up?

4. Those universal sink plugs! Ugh. I took one. It was a bit useless in the tubs I found. Try it at home first. If it works, take it, others take a cut out but of tyre tube. I couldn't get hold of any. You'll make do without though .

5. Silk dress or pants. Up to you, if you're happy to carry both, go for it. I saw places where you could buy those types of pants though, but not sure about the silk dress.

6.aha. The electronics bag. That's where you could shave weight if you want to. By the end of a satisfying days walk and enjoying the camaraderie of others , you may be happy to just check out the place you've stopped at for the evening, relax, eat, prepare for the next day and look through the guide to what is expected on the next days stage. This is mostly what people do. If you really need to read to go to sleep, I'm sure you'll only get a few minutes and be ready for sleep. I'd make do with the iPhone app for that possibility rather than carry the extra.

Bottom line - it's fine. But the above is only because you asked.

Buen Camino
Annie

Thanks bajaracer, nidarosa, Joe, & Annie!

Gonna ditch the hiking skort, drain plug, wine opener, the plastic cutting board/plate, and my pack rain cover.

Still holding out on the stupid kindle, for some hard headed reason.

Will keep:
-3 socks (not fresh, but only trained less than 15 miles in each) & 2 liners

-poncho (might have to upgrade while on the camino)

-both super lightweight silk dress & yoga pants. Both are tossable if need be.

-gonna go check for cottonelle travel wipes

THANK YA'LL SO MUCH!

T-minus 10 hours till I'm out the door!

I wore a rain jacket that doubled as a wind-breaker and took it off when I was warm. Did not need fleece at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@OzAnnie

The Gold Bond Friction bar & Vasoline pot are indeed for the same purpose, though the vasoline goes pretty far for other uses as well. I think I'll ditch the vasoline though. It's probably readily available along the camino, right?

I've been checking the weather and seeing some pretty cold nights, that's why I hesitate to leave my lightweight shell jacket behind. I do have a lightweight fleece. I'm worried there might be nights where I need both.

Ya'll are the best!

Pullover fleece (6.5 oz) or Columbia shell (5 oz), or both????

Lighten up and get a Gregory Jade 28.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bring a travel size Vaseline, in the travel section at Target.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have the smallest Vasoline made (found in the travel section of Target)

Do you plan on coating your feet with it each morning? Band Aid blister stick (Target) is the same as compeed stick sold in Spain and much cheaper.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ditch the Zicam, ditch 8 anti diarrhea pills, ditch the pepto.

Do you plan on coating your feet with it each morning? Band Aid blister stick (Target) is the same as compeed stick sold in Spain and much cheaper.

Never mind, you have the Gold Bond stick.

LAST QUESTION....

I have a 10L dry bag that weighs 5oz. To bring or not to bring.

I'm thinking ... Not.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
LAST QUESTION....

I have a 10L dry bag that weighs 5oz. To bring or not to bring.

I'm thinking ... Not.

Dry bag is fine, use that for taking your valuables with you when you take a shower.

Whitney, its hard to tell what your from the skin out target should be without knowing your ideal walking weight. The FSO target that I use is 20% of ideal walking weight. That target includes everything that is in your pack and worn, including food and water. Lets just assume you weigh 60kg, then you FSO target is 12kg, against a current load list of 8.8kg, and you have 3.2kg left for food and water. If you fill your water bottles, that will be about 1.5 kg, leaving 1.7 kg for any food you want to carry, or anything else you collect along the way.
You need to do your own calculation based on your weight. Remember that these are targets. The 20% FSO target comes from 'The Complete Plain Walker IV', a US walking classic, and I think has somewhat more credibility than the more commonly quoted pack weight target of 10% of body mass. Not achieving that target doesn't make the world stop! What is clear though, is that you can expect to be slower the heavier your pack, etc. That takes a toll in many ways, and is best avoided.

Thanks @dougfitz! Great information. I actually weigh 62kg, so good guess!!

Seems as if ~3.3 kg for water and food is totally sufficient, correct?

Thanks goodness all the lovely folks earlier today helped me shed a pound!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Been watching the weather forecast and it looks like cold evenings.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Been watching the weather forecast and it looks like cold evenings.

You can always buy something if it ends up cold. But if you pack extra just in case you'll be carrying it all day long every day.

I took a kindle. Managed to break it somehow early in trip. Never missed it. Was too tired to read, even though had the kindle app on phone. But if you want it, take it. It's not going to be any type of straw breaking any back.

I agree with all comments so far. One extra thing is to take a TUBE of sun cream and not a bottle. It weighs less, it's smaller, but you can always buy another along the way. Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are still packing then I would suggest you take those 2 jackets/fleeces. We had to buy on the Camino one year and the fleece we got weighed nearly as much as 2 light ones combined.
The Kindle you seem to really want, but if you are using Kindle library can you not re borrow them when you get home and just use the phone app to read if you feel like it. I usually download free, or very cheap books for holidays so am not sure how the library type works, nor how small phone screen text is for reading as I don't have a smart phone. However I don't take the Kindle on the Camino as it is excess weight for me, and little reading time means I don't miss it.
I do take my pack cover as well as my poncho, it weighs very little, came with the pack and is good protection if it is just damp but not wet enough to want the poncho for me. I like to keep my pack really dry and don't have any dry bags/plastic wrapping inside the pack.
Buen Camino

don't leave your backpack cover.
In heavy rain you need it even if you wear a poncho.
In wet weather it will protect your backpack from dirt/ mud etc. when you have to drop it to the ground.
It is easier to wash the cover than the backpack.
Keep the 3 pair of socks and one change of clothes.
BUEN camino!

I agree with the posts just above. You have compact/light clothing and pack cover choices in your list. Just because you can replace something along the way does not mean that you will have light/non bulky options. The flip flops I once wanted to buy along the way were four times as heavy as what I had left at home.

I agree that the pack cover is handy for those times when you don't need your poncho yet but you want to keep your pack dry.
Most of us think you will have less reading time than you think you will.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok....

Skort or shorts?

do yourself a favour--TAKE the dress!!!!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My dress is light, 180gms, and can double as night wear if it is hot. The long johns, 70gms, and longsleeve vest, 70gms, can do the same if it is cold. Last year I wore them under the dress in the evenings. A 'win, win' situation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have a 43.5 oz pack. A zpack arc blast weighs 16 oz. and is waterproof without a pack cover. We just finished a 16 day trip with ours and they were wonderful. Comfortable, tough, convenient pockets......not cheap, but serious weight savings.

Here's a 45 liter pack, 16 oz with full frame, and a 5.5 oz waterproof breathable jacket on the trail.

http://www.zpacks.com/

zp2.JPG

Last edited:
PLEASE, ditch that Kindle. Talk to people even if you don't have a common language. Read the local pape. Visit local places of intetest. Anything bar sitting with your nose in a book, even an electronic one. When I'm walking one of the greatest pleasures is meeting with and talking to people, it's so much easier than you may think and is wonderfully fulfilling. Ultreïa.

PLEASE, ditch that Kindle. Talk to people even if you don't have a common language. Read the local pape. Visit local places of intetest. Anything bar sitting with your nose in a book, even an electronic one. When I'm walking one of the greatest pleasures is meeting with and talking to people, it's so much easier than you may think and is wonderfully fulfilling. Ultreïa.

PS inside the 16 oz pack, she brought her smart phone, with a Kindle app., AND her beloved Kindle. She just prefers it enough to bring it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do who a favor!
Not sure what you mean by that. I brought some rather dressy clothes on my last camino, this spring--I thoroughly enjoyed walking to dinner wearing something other than the same stuff I had been sweating in day in and out. I am going back for two months at the end of the summer and fully expect to bring more of the same. For me, it's a special and wonderful feeling.

That is. Lot of votes for dropping the Kindle. I am planning on bringing my IPad mini. It serves as communication device, journal, guidebook, something to read to help me drift off to sleep, music, and entertainment while on planes and trains getting to and from the Camino. Am I wrong?

If you can afford the extra weight, go for it! An i-pad mini is very good on the camino but for me it's just one more thing to worry about (and carry).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know this is controversial, but I took my Kindle and was quite glad that I did - I will be taking it next time as well. I don't care for reading on my phone for more than 15 minutes or so and I didn't take a tablet. I read every day at home and I read every day on the Camino. I love reading. I also spent plenty of time socializing with people on the Camino and made many good friends, so it isn't an either/or proposition. Depending on how the day goes, there can be many hours left in the day after you finish walking, do laundry, etc. One of my favorite things to do is relax outside with a beer and a book - I spent many happy afternoon hours on the Camino in this manner. I am a social person, but I also like to have some time in my own head - reading does that for me. I also read before going to sleep and in the early morning hours when I woke up before it was actually time to get up. I used my Kindle a lot and it really doesn't take up much space.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OP here. I'm at the airport.

Have kindle and am happy with that.

Left pack cover and regret that.

Enjoy the dress and your Kindle. A pack cover should be easy to buy if you decide you want one.
buen Camino

We had some warm days on our Camino and I wished that I had taken a light silk dress - not to impress anybody, just for comfort in the afternoon/evenings. I met a couple other women who brought light dresses and they looked so fresh and comfy in them.

What I did regret taking was a rather heavy rain poncho - it was what I had, so I took it, but next time I will buy a much lighter one. I also never used my head lamp.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since you asked, I'll give you my opinion. You will get many opinions and most likely varied.

I took same pack as you. I left rain cover at home because my poncho did that duty.

I would not take leatherman.

I would not use the cubes, plastic bags are lighter and can serve more uses.

Skort, pants, shorts, sarong , sleep/evening, and yoga pants----that's a lot of clothes. I took one pant, one Macabi skirt and one base layer that I slept in and layered when necessary.

52 oz of water weighs more than 11 oz. That must be empty?? I just bought bottles every couple of days. Lighter and no need to clean.

I would do 2 sox instead if 3. If you want 3 of anything, I'd make it the liners.

Panties and bras: Like outer clothes, one on and one clean. Third wasn't necessary for me.

I left my kindle at home and used the kindle app on my phone. Yes it is a small screen, but you really won't be reading that much, but you will have your books when you need them. (For me if I don't read before I go to sleep, I won't sleep so I had to have something and the small screen was good enough)

Buen Camino
Disposable plastic water bottles are one of the biggest environmental hazards on the planet. Carrying a 9 or 10 oz. Nalgene is not going to cause that much of a problem for a walker in decent shape...

Disposable plastic water bottles are one of the biggest environmental hazards on the planet.

This is an interesting point.

I'd make a rash assumption that most pilgrims, or at least most of this forum's members, would aspire to be ecologically sound. And yet when walking even in November, I was surprised by regular litter and esp. plastic bottles.

Even when disposed of in a bin, unless it's going to get recycled, a plastic bottle represents an ecological cost.

I'd also hazard a guess that the weight differential of re-usable bottle vs disposable is not so great as to deter people who would aspire to an ecological approach.

Personally I carried ( and will again ) reusable Laken thermal bottle. Not so heavy at all, nice to keep the drink cool instead of tepid, and less plastic to landfill.

The cleaning is important and perhaps tedious, but you clean other important stuff, why not drinking kit - never heard anyone complaining about time/hassle to clean teeth or hands.

Each to their own, I guess.

Here's another vote for taking your Kindle along. I took mine on all four walks and many international trips in between. Priceless for the long airport waits, the long flights, etc etc. Worth it!!

OP here, mid Camino.

Kindle is good. Had to buy 55€ Altus rain poncho due to torrential rain. Was several days of cold as well, glad for fleece and yoga leggings!

Couple of incredibly useful things I brought:
-Largish silk handkerchief that is my super lightweight and luxurious pillowcase when tied at the corners.
-A buff that I use to secure my phone to my wrist (in pocket caused heat rash and like to have it near for pics)
-A change purse from Thailand
-A small mesh market bag that I carry with me so I can keep my valuables on hand.
-And definitely needed the pepto and zicam!! Wished I had brought my cipro!

Hi Wawpdx,

I do have the Kindle App on my iphone, but I can't stand reading off of it + it'll drain battery much faster, + lastly ... When I turn on wifi on phone I'd lose my library books on kindle :)

Third bra is literally less than 2 oz and makes it possible to wear my evening dress :)))

Thanks so much for having a look.

Any other thoughts?
An evening dress??????? You cannot be serious! Are you staying in paradors? I agree with most of what has been said: don't take a third anything; sleep in clothes, be prepared to rough it and smell a bit. There are farmacías everywhere on the Francés so you don't really need to take half a pharmacy with you. And, sorry, how do you lose books on a Kindle app when wifi is on? I alwys use the app - no probs. Just go and enjoy yourself and don't worry. Buen Camino.

Thanks for your input Pano!

Will drop wine opener.

Was trying to avoid plastic water bottles, but will go get a 1 liter smart water bottle to start (as someone suggested).

I'm skiddish about less than 3 socks. Wanna make sure that I have a backup if one pair wears funny.

Linen bag? Not sure what that is.

Regarding water:

IMHO, and after two complete Camino Frances, I continue to maintain that the "best" water bottle is the FREE .5 liter bottle that comes with every bottle of mineral water or a soft drink you buy. I maintain this for several reasons:
  1. They are FREE - they came with water in them;
  2. They can be most easily spread about your pack, harness, belt and pockets to distribute the weight. One .5 liter bottle weighs approximately one pound or one-half kilo;
  3. They are reusable and can be used to mix powdered sports / electrolyte replacement, or instant coffee from individual serve packets - available at markets in Spain - just add water, then powder, and shake...;
  4. They weigh nearly nothing when empty, and FAR less than an empty Nalgene, plastic, aluminum, or other containers;
  5. When the bottle is either damaged, or gets too scraggy to use, simply RECYCLE IT and buy a replacement; and,
  6. At the end of your Camino, the bottles can be similarly disposed of properly.
Tip - it has been reported here, and I can confirm, that the stretch of Camino from Carrion de los Condes to Sahagun has few potable water supplies available. It can get VERY HOT and VERY DRY on this stretch of Camino. Think ahead!

When I left Carrion this year, I had THREE 1.5 liter water bottles stuffed in both side mesh pockets and one strapped to the bottom of my bag. I also had FOUR .5 liter water bottles, which is my normal carrying load. That is a total of SIX and a HALF LITERS of water.

By the time I reached Moratinos, 31 Km down the path from Carrion, I was down to less than .5 liters of water. I walked on a sunny, dry day in early May with temperatures in the mid 20 (Celsius).

Along the way, I gave water to several fellow pilgrims who neglected to do their research, were dry, and tempted to use the roadside fuentes. DO NOT DO THIS! Use local fuentes...at least along this stretch of the Meseta. I specifically brought more water than I felt I would need for this purpose, to share. I recommend at least two extra 1.5 liter bottles for this particular stretch of Camino, in addition to your normal daily, water load.

My understanding is that, over the many years of the Camino, much of the ground water has been contaminated by pesticide or organic elements and is no longer fit for human consumption. You can rinse a buff or scarf and cool you head or neck with this water. But, NO NOT ingest it.

Short of - like death - about the worst thing that can occur on the Camino is a serious bout of gastrointestinal illness, with all the attendant yuck. There are have repeated reports and advisories in the forum about this. It is far better in my view to lug the extra water for a day or two than to be seriously inconvenienced by a loose GI system... Enough said on that point I think.

FYI, all pharmacies and most albergues can provide the local equivalent of Imodium. This OTC medication, and anything more than a band-aid / plaster is not sold in a grocery store and must be gotten from a pharmacy.

The .5 liter bottles I spoke of above were clipped to my sternum harness or waist belt using this product: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp

Use a tight rubber band, doubled or tripled over, to ensure the top-clip does not pop off the wider-neck European bottles. I learned that a #18 sized silicone "O" ring from my local Home Depot DIY store works brilliantly. The "O"rings are 1 3/16" outer diameter and 15/16:" inner diameter. They come in a package of 10.

In Paris, I bought four .5 liter bottles of water and I attached four clips with four "O" rings. They lasted the 5-weeks until Santiago.

As for clothing -
  1. I would take 3 complete changes of socks and lingerie. One worn, one just washed and perhaps not yet fully dry, and one completely clean and dry. If you get a couple of rainy days, you will appreciate this. I prefer ziplock bags as everything in the bag stays dry. Packing cubes are NOT waterproof. You can also use a large, empty ziplock (2.5 gallon size) as an expedient washing machine for a hand washes. Add clothes, water and a sliver of soap. Agitate, rinse, wring and hang...
  2. I would not take an evening dress or skirt (yes, I am a 60 something guy). But I talk to a lot of fellow pilgrims, observe stuff, and ask questions. Besides, nothing embarrasses me, so I just ask politely.
  3. There are some truisms about the Camino that you will learn - I might as well tell you now:
    1. There is NO SUCH THING as a good hair day on the Camino. Accept this and plan for it with scarves, caps, and scrungie bands to hold your hair back. Everyone else is doing it;
    2. Happiness is simply clean, dry clothing to change into at the end of a long, tiring and perhaps rainy or hot and sweaty day. You generally sleep in the undergarments and t-shirt you will wear the next day;
    3. The Camino is not a fashion contest. As long as you are covered (against sun), discrete (against voyeurs) and respectful when entering churches, etc. you are appropriately dressed - period;
    4. Generally, female tourists wear skirts and dresses. Female pilgrims wear convertible trousers or shorts. Though some women like the ever-practical Macabi skirts as it has pockets, and makes answering "nature's call" somewhat easier along The Way.
    5. Smart pilgrims, including nearly every Australian I met on both Caminos, wore long sleeve, loose-fitting shirts and trousers in very light colors to protect against the sun. They ARE the experts at going walkabout in hot sunny conditions. So, I paid attention and asked questions. I learned my lesson this year in that regard. Next year, I will be sporting long sleeve shirts with SPF material. Light and bright colors are better in the sun than dark, or earth tones.
    6. Why did I lug all that makeup (not ME - YOU)? All I really needed (female gender presumed here) was: moisturizer, sunblock, plain glycerine or olive oil-based soap for everything washable, toothpaste, feminine hygiene products, and lip protection. All of these items can be bought as needed in Spain and could fit in a single 1-liter or 1-quart zip lock bag. Most larger towns and cities have supermercados that carry most internationally known brands. So, bring only travel sizes, and refill as needed.
I sincerely hope this helps. As you are on the West Coast, three hours behind me, you still have time to make some adjustments. Just think through everything you are taking...TWICE. I have a digital food scale I got from Target last year that I use to weigh everything before it goes in the rucksack. If I have a choice between two or more equivalent "solutions" the lighter one wins.

From all the other comments above, the single best one was to load all your Kindle stuff onto your iPhone. Apple has a free Kindle reader that will allow you to transfer all your Kindle books, guides etc. from the Amazon "cloud" to your iPhone. Do not carry more than one smart phone or tablet. It costs weight and makes you more of a theft target.

Theft DOES happen regularly, especially in larger towns and cities. The economy is very bad in Spain and the local petty criminals know that pilgrims have all this good stuff to steal. All of it can readily be sold on the street, fast.

Smart phones, digital cameras, and tablet computers, including readers are favorite targets. Take no electronics with you that cannot go with you, in a waterproof bag (again Ziplock) into an albergue shower stall. If you let these valuable items out of your sight for even a minute, they will WALK.

After walking the Camino for several days, most folks do not get their street smarts back when they enter a large town or city. That is precisely when the petty thieves strike. You are totally chilled out and not paying attention the way you are 24 x 7 when home. Also, the initial arrival at Santiago is profound and affects most pilgrims seeing it for the first time very deeply. As they are in wonderment, they are distracted.

The thieves are watching for these zoned-out pilgrims. They actually use "spotters" to identify victims, and they operate in teams of two or three persons. You need to remind yourself to snap out of the "Camino fog" and back into reality, at least for the 24 hours or so you are "back in civilization."

This year, I worked as a volunteer "Amigo" for two weeks at the pilgrim office in Santiago in early June. Daily, I saw and helped deter thieves who were eying up clueless arriving pilgrims.

One of the things we had to do is to walk up and down the line of arriving pilgrims to remind them that they were now back in a big city, and needed to turn their situational awareness back on. Tip: Cameras and other electronic items in specialized carrying bags that advertised what they were, e.g. a Canon bag for a high-end Canon DSLR camera positively screamed to be stolen. If you must wear a camera or other accessory bag, please make it very plain and nondescript, with no logo identifying what is likely inside.

There is NO VIOLENT CRIME of which I am aware. However, anything of value placed down, even for a few seconds is subject to being stolen right in front of your eyes. Please trust me on this. I know what I am talking about. The Camino remains very safe for people. However anything not connected to you is tempting to someone else.

I hope this helps. I wish you a healthy and trouble-free Camino.

Last edited:
Oh and ditch all the first aid crap. You can find it when you need it.

I respectfully disagree. As someone on the "south side of 50" and no longer being invincible, in my experience, every pilgrim needs to carry at least a few band-aids / plasters, a small tube of first aid / antibiotic ointment, a pin to use to lance blisters, a means to sterilize the pin (I use a mini-BIC lighter), a small assortment of non-prescription pain relievers, an antihistamine, a decongestant, and anti-diarrheal medication. The meds can be in the tiny 2-to an envelope sort.

That is the minimum. I carry more, as I had to do field-expedient minor surgery last year in a town with no medical facilities. Experience is the best teacher. My entire kit, including surgical gloves, gauze, tape, antiseptic prep pads, waterless hand sterilizer gel, surgical tweezers, a small scalpel and a "tick key" weighs 9 ounces in a waterproof bag.

The purpose of even this minimal kit is to treat symptoms or minor injury immediately and to last until you can reach a town with an open farmacia. Not all towns have one, most are closed on Saturday and all are closed on Sunday.

I also carry a wholly separate ziplock bag with foot specific treatment items for sprains, aches, pains, and swollen joints. This adds another 9 ounces.

My total medical kit, not including my prescription items including antibiotics, weighs a little more than one pound or half a kilo. Most persons would carry about half this amount as described above.

I hope this helps someone.

I respectfully disagree. As someone on the "south side of 50" and no longer being invincible, in my experience, every pilgrim needs to carry at least a few band-aids / plasters, a small tube of first aid / antibiotic ointment, a pin to use to lance blisters, a means to sterilize the pin (I use a mini-BIC lighter), a small assortment of non-prescription pain relievers, an antihistamine, a decongestant, and anti-diarrheal medication. The meds can be in the tiny 2-to an envelope sort.

That is the minimum. I carry more, as I had to do field-expedient minor surgery last year in a town with no medical facilities. Experience is the best teacher. My entire kit, including surgical gloves, gauze, tape, antiseptic prep pads, waterless hand sterilizer gel, surgical tweezers, a small scalpel and a "tick key" weighs 9 ounces in a waterproof bag.

The purpose of even this minimal kit is to treat symptoms or minor injury immediately and to last until you can reach a town with an open farmacia. Not all towns have one, most are closed on Saturday and all are closed on Sunday.

I also carry a wholly separate ziplock bag with foot specific treatment items for sprains, aches, pains, and swollen joints. This adds another 9 ounces.

My total medical kit, not including my prescription items including antibiotics, weighs a little more than one pound or half a kilo. Most persons would carry about half this amount as described above.

I hope this helps someone.
I agree, one should not ditch everything assuming it is easily available in farmacias. Not all towns have farmacias and they might very well be closed when you find them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whitney, its hard to tell what your from the skin out target should be without knowing your ideal walking weight. The FSO target that I use is 20% of ideal walking weight. That target includes everything that is in your pack and worn, including food and water. Lets just assume you weigh 60kg, then you FSO target is 12kg, against a current load list of 8.8kg, and you have 3.2kg left for food and water. If you fill your water bottles, that will be about 1.5 kg, leaving 1.7 kg for any food you want to carry, or anything else you collect along the way.
You need to do your own calculation based on your weight. Remember that these are targets. The 20% FSO target comes from 'The Complete Plain Walker IV', a US walking classic, and I think has somewhat more credibility than the more commonly quoted pack weight target of 10% of body mass. Not achieving that target doesn't make the world stop! What is clear though, is that you can expect to be slower the heavier your pack, etc. That takes a toll in many ways, and is best avoided.
Hi Doug
Thanks so much for this. If I could give you 5 stars I would! I had got it in my head that 10% of body weight was the ideal target and couldn't figure out how to manage it. Thanks for clarifying. I'll still try and keep the load fairly light but now I can be a bit flexible. Thanks again.

Ok....

Skort or shorts?

I'd take the shorts, but I had zip-off pants, so those were my shorts. Silk dress??? I found that I had no energy for anything after dinner, surely not something that required dressing up, but perhaps you are more energetic! I will definitely NOT take my hydration bladder next time. I thought SURELY I would love it, but ended up with three medium sized water bottles, purchased from any little store. two in my pack pockets and one in my shorts pocket. I lost my rain gear on the Pyrenees, and had a silly child's poncho someone gave me along the way, but now I have a poncho that goes over my pack as well (for next time). But I was glad to have the pack cover that came with my Gregory Sage 55L pack.

I did have a very small swiss-army knife so if the mini-leatherman is fairly light you might as well take it. I was very happy to have a small knife along the way. I'll confess that I'd happily walk with a 20 lb pack, rather than my nearly 28 lb one. UGH. And I sent 8 lbs home from Pamploma . . . my sleeping bag, trail runners, bigger camera, and an extra pair of shorts (what was I thinking with all that stuff??) I'm sure you are on the road already, so have an enriching time.

Dear All,

My favourite one was a maniac mate who drilled holes in his toothbrush handle to save weight. Every little helps!

Good luck and great walking, Andy Hill

Hi,

Whitney
"I leave tomorrow ". If that is so, how was your Camino? I hope the advice you were given on here helped.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back