• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me feel the magic

ScooterB

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016 (Frances), June-July 2017 (Le Puy)
So I've been hiking for 11 or 12 days now, had a few magic moments, met some wonderful people, but frankly, I'm just not having that great of a time. Trying to keep an open mind and heart, hoping for the experience of the Camino that everyone on here raves about, but it eludes me. Basically it's just a lot of walking, endless walking, and sore feet. Can someone give me a pep talk or some hope that this will turn out well?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I felt really down on day 9 of my last camino. I was ready to pack it in. But I reached out and helped a fellow pilgrim and things turned around for me. Maybe you need to reach deep inside yourself and figure out how to have fun. What do you need to let go of? What do you need to allow yourself to do so that you can enjoy your days? Sometimes we focus too much on the destination and forget the journey. It is a hard walk, but there are ways to make it enjoyable. Try walking for a few hours with someone - chatting can take your mind off your sore feet. Or listen to music for a change. You could take a day off and enjoy a city or town. Make a list of things you are thankful for.

Reach out to the pilgrims around you and tell them your fears. There are many people on the trail who can help you right now. Sometimes you need to break down and admit you are having a hard time and then things get better.

We are here for you.

Buen Camino.

I have a few theories - but I'm by no means an expert....I only walked 9 days.

I heard many time on the Camino from people that the first week is hard on the body, the second week hard on the mind, and the third week you finally reach that place where you start gabbling with the purpose you walked. Sounds like you are solidly in the second week and experiencing this. Give the process time.

I've also heard from many (and this is true for me) - while I was able to appreciate the people and the beauty of the scenes while on the Camino - I never felt this life changing moment. It felt like walking everyday. Which was better than working everyday...... However, since I've gotten home, I've started to recognize some things that I've learned and have changed in me. Did I have this completely life changing experience? Not so far anyway. Do I have a better understanding of myself and where I'll get contentment in life? I think I'm beginning to.

My only other piece of advice (and I actually did learn this on the Camino) - let go of any expectations you may have had. Let the experience come to you as it comes to you - and appreciate them all. Even if its only sore feet :) I find expectations of what things "should be" or what you want them to be ruin so many truly great moments in life because it wasn't exactly what you thought it would be. I'm still working on this - but it was a learning I had.

Buen Camino!!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are many kinds of "magic" as intimated in these three Buddha quotes.

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
“Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.”

Over past years on my caminos I have experienced the joy of serendipity and relearned the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Most importantly I have sensed the necessity for sincerity in all human interactions and have been privileged to experience the overwhelming power of true caritas, that special spirit of unconditional selfless love towards others as offered by some gracious souls to many along the way....May we all be so caring and generous; may we all sense that joyful magic.

Hi all. Many people came to the Camino with lot of expectations. Maybe find a new love, discover the sense of life, or the answer to a questiont. Its like the quest for a treasure. Treasures are usually hidden. Do not expect anything. If you find it, youll be the lucky one.
Dont search for the answer, but for the questions.
Buen Caminor

Last edited:
I heard many time on the Camino from people that the first week is hard on the body, the second week hard on the mind, and the third week you finally reach that place where you start gabbling with the purpose you walked. Sounds like you are solidly in the second week and experiencing this. Give the process time.

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice of previous posters. Camino is a process and you are still in the early stages. (Of the tired feet, I'd guess those will be getting better soon.)

Presented with your sentiments @ScooterB, I would have agreed on my first Camino right up to Santiago. But I admit to having noticed some significant changes in mind and body starting past Leon. Major changes in attitude and gratitude had to wait until I finished walking the loop out to Muxia/Finisterre and back.

As @Beth_J notes, give up any expectations - - after all, you have no control over the process anyway. It may help to accept that what you receive on this journey is what you really need not what you wanted. Dropping the expectations allows easier acceptance of "what is".

BTW, I still find it hard to believe that after my first Camino it would weigh heavy upon me to perform an encore....and then another. It is not something that I could "rave" about because it is way too personal of an experience. But I am definitely supportive of anyone who feels called to walk it. You are in my thoughts and I hope the heavy feelings you relate will drop away soon.

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So I've been hiking for 11 or 12 days now, had a few magic moments, met some wonderful people, but frankly, I'm just not having that great of a time. Trying to keep an open mind and heart, hoping for the experience of the Camino that everyone on here raves about, but it eludes me. Basically it's just a lot of walking, endless walking, and sore feet. Can someone give me a pep talk or some hope that this will turn out well?

must agree, it basically is a lot of walking and sore feet, and sometimes the Camino just doesn't 'click' for whatever reason. nothing wrong with stopping either, or skipping ahead to sections you might find more interesting, or changing your plans completely... spain is a wonderful country with lots of places to discover (and experience) apart from the Camino.

for what it's worth, my experiences on the Camino probably have very little in common with my fellow pilgrim's (many of which i can honestly not relate to), and yet they are all experiences at the end of the day.

I have not read the responses yet, in my experience The whole reason I went was due to a pull from ??? Definitely had some hard physical days but when deAling with the emotional side the combination was very difficult. The thing you can take away is that no matter how harsh, boring, lonely, there is usually someone or something that will lift you out of the pit your mind may take you.
Just think of the souls before you that have truly toiled with very large issues.
All you may get out of this may be knowledge you persevered. But I doubt very much the lesson you learn from this journey will be that simple.

If we thought the Camino was easy we probably wouldn't do it, on my own Camino in 2012 I struggled at various times during my 31 day walk to Santiago .When it was physical I aimed for small goals e.g. tree to tree bush to bush or rock to rock. When it was mental I used simple sayings to encourage a positive attitude one being I'm from Scotland made from girders ,and lots of others many of which are very local to my community .Not speaking a any other languages other than Glasweigian there were days I didn't talk to anyone.Your in a very privilege place many would love to be,stay strong ,don't let things grind you down,soak it up like a sponge as you know the pull of the Camino is very strong.Enjoy every minute.Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @ScooterB, thank you for your very honest post. There are ups and downs on the Camino and often we feel inclined to share the happy and magic moments, rather than the lonely or 'flat' times. So thank you for helping to keep things balanced.

You've got great advice from some very wise people - I hope that it helps you to move forward and find, or make, some magic. Ultreia!

I have no easy answers...
I often think of a lovely pilgrim lady I walked with on my first camino. (We are still in contact). I thought she was so brave! She hated it! I always had a big smile on my face in the morning (well...most mornings ) and she once asked me : 'are you really enjoying this?' Well, 'yes', was the true and honest answer. 'I'll be sorry when it ends'. And she confided she couldn't wait to arrive and to finish with it. She saw it as a long, boring and painful ordeal. I know that had I felt the same way, I would have given up.
So here we go, not everyone enjoys it. Don't worry about it. I'd give it a few more days if you can - and wish - but not feel bad if it isn't your thing.
As I said, I would have given up (but then I'm French !:D:D;))

“Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
'Ride,' Pleasure said;
'Walk,' Joy replied.”
W.H. Davies

“If you seek creative ideas go walking.
Angels whisper to a man when he goes for
a walk.”
Raymond I. Myers

“I am alarmed when it happens that I have walked a mile into the woods bodily, without getting there in spirit.”
Henry David Thoreau,Walking

Solvitur ambulando, St. Augustine said. It is solved by walking.”
Laura Kelly,Dispatches from the Republic of Otherness

Vaya con dios, Scooter...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

ScooterB--My first time walking Camino Frances was really hard for the first ten days or so. Walking, walking, endless walking...but I noticed that even the pain would disappear overnight, and in the mornings, while sore, I felt optimistic.

I think that this is a very physically difficult experience. For me, what made things really special was asking someone a question, or interacting, and then finding that I really enjoyed something I was learning about someone. Most people that walk Camino are interesting people. I've only really encountered a few people who were self-centered and hard to be around; the majority tends to be educated, kind, and generous. Let people be who they are, and perhaps spend a little time listening.

The other advice is great--if you need a break, take a few days and hang out in a cool place and look around. Are you lonely? Sometimes it's hard for shy and/or introverted people to reach out.

And as some say, it's early days right now. Give yourself a pat on the back for doing this hard stuff, day in and day out.

Wish I were there to share a meal.

How would you have felt had you not heard about the magic? The bottom line os that the Camino is about walking, endless walking. Not "summer camp for adults" or a "linear Disney World". And I think that this is why people also warn about not having expectations, especially on following Caminos. Perhpas you can start trying to look aroind you, appreciate what it is rather than wondering why it is not what you thought it would be. Sorry you are struggling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have any major magical experiences either. I was only on the Camino for a week before I had to leave due to an emergency at home though, so I have no idea what would have happened if I had been able to stay longer. Maybe something big would have happened or maybe all the magic would have been smaller stuff. Who knows? I met some really wonderful people, had some good experiences, had some seriously sore feet, and walked a lot.

BUT - and this is important and why I am going back next month to walk again - when I got home I realized that the walking had changed me. I had a different perspective on things. And that change helped me navigate the next year of my life - it was a tough year to be sure. If I hadn't walked that week on the Camino, I am certain that year would have been harder. Because of walking on the Camino, even for 1 week, I felt more centered, more able to accept things as they are, to trust that things would actually be ok, to let go when I needed to and hold on other times when I needed to do that.

I am going back next month to experience more sore feet and camaraderie - and just see what happens. What changes will happen in my brain? I don't know. But if all that happens is that I walk a long way and meet some good people, then I'm good with it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@ScooterB:
If you are walking the camino to have a good time, then naturally you will want to do something else if you are not having a good time. I walked the camino because I felt that I was called, but I had no expectations as to what I would or should experience. So I just walked. Mostly, my feet did not hurt too much. I had the advantage of many years of backpacking, which I love, so the physical experiences of the walk were fairly familiar. The communal aspect was challenging at times. I was blessed with special religious experiences, which I guess that God had in mind for me, although I did not anticipate them. Maybe religious or spiritual experiences are a special gift of walking a pilgrimage road in faith. I don't know what meaning it can have for someone who walks the route to have a good time. I don't feel called to do the camino that I am planning for this fall, so I don't know how that will go. I have decided to try to be of service to others on the camino, to those who have been called and to those who are just looking for something. If you want meaning you can find it by trying to be of service. Perhaps you will be a camino angel. If you want to have a good time, think about what you enjoy and try to spend more time doing it, for example, eating, drinking and having a communal good time with those whom you meet. Good luck.

@ScooterB -

My earlier post was pretty generic as I was struggling to remember "exactly where" things began to click for me. So upon arrival home, I checked my diary of my first Camino.

There is no guarantee here, I am only providing personal experience. To make a long story short...

I meet a lovely girl outside of Astorga, then again at Acebo and yet again at Ponferrada and we conversed every time.

A full week after I walked west out of SdC, she is the first person I see in the albergue in Finisterre. Upon my greeting, she looked up from her own journal-writing, paused a moment.. then three, before brightening up with this:

"B, sorry I did not recognize you! When did you learn to smile?" (Ouch!)

So, there's hope if you want to continue. But there's no shame in going in another direction if that is where your heart directs you.

Warmest wishes for whatever you decide,

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@ScooterB:
If you are walking the camino to have a good time, then naturally you will want to do something else if you are not having a good time. I walked the camino because I felt that I was called, but I had no expectations as to what I would or should experience. So I just walked. Mostly, my feet did not hurt too much. I had the advantage of many years of backpacking, which I love, so the physical experiences of the walk were fairly familiar. The communal aspect was challenging at times. I was blessed with special religious experiences, which I guess that God had in mind for me, although I did not anticipate them. Maybe religious or spiritual experiences are a special gift of walking a pilgrimage road in faith. I don't know what meaning it can have for someone who walks the route to have a good time. I don't feel called to do the camino that I am planning for this fall, so I don't know how that will go. I have decided to try to be of service to others on the camino, to those who have been called and to those who are just looking for something. If you want meaning you can find it by trying to be of service. Perhaps you will be a camino angel. If you want to have a good time, think about what you enjoy and try to spend more time doing it, for example, eating, drinking and having a communal good time with those whom you meet. Good luck.
AlbertaGirl, you are planning another Camino! I think I recall a conversation we had where you said this would be it, you would only walk the Camino once. So glad that you have been called to return and walk another route with service in mind!

AlbertaGirl, you are planning another Camino! I think I recall a conversation we had where you said this would be it, you would only walk the Camino once. So glad that you have been called to return and walk another route with service in mind!

@NiniSum:
You are quite right that I never expected to walk another camino. I am going again because I want to, but with no real sense of calling, just that it somehow wouldn't make sense and wouldn't work for me to do it because I was so blessed the first time. Those blessings were gifts, not to be expected to be repeated. So I will try to find ways to give rather than ways to receive, and perhaps I may find, in the end, that I was called to this.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi ScooterB
I'm intrigued what does a 'great time' mean to you personally? Not anyone else's idea of it but yours? You see, for me, it's endless walking :rolleyes:

My pep talk to you would be to focus on that and to 'chill' :cool: and let the Camino unfold as it will. My experience of magic is that it ambushes us when we least expect.

My best and most magical experiences of my Camino came after I finished walking - and they continue still.

ScooterB - your 'problem' that you need a pep talk for is that you are objectifying your experience .. at the moment for you it is all to do with 'do' .. endless walking, sore feet, I've paid shed-loads to be here so where is the experience, etc .. and with your objectifying you are then judging .. this is good, this is bad, this I like, that I don't like - but - Shakespeare wrote that "for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - the 'experience' is not something bought off a shelf, not something that one can earn nor choose. It comes from accepting the external as just stuff that is happening and learning to forget the 'do' and focus on the 'be' .. it is to do with being. If you keep walking the external will just become that .. external .. just the universe manifesting, as it does ... nothing stops it all manifesting .. the most enlightened of our species still have to deal with the universe manifesting ... so the key here, I think, is acceptance, surrender .. surrender to what you have to do, surrender to what you have to deal with, just accept it - the frontal part of your brain is designed to do look after all the day to day stuff - then ... allow the rest of your mind, the real you, to walk in wonder - stop under a tree with blossom on it and look up at the sky through it .. actually taste the water you are drinking and feel it entering your body .. laugh at your sore feet ... allow yourself to 'be'.

It has been mentioned many times that the Camino is a process ... the physical stresses and pains at first, then the inner mental stresses and strains, and then the freeing that comes and then those moments, those moments of still joy; spontaneous laughter, spontaneous tears - so, don't give up; switch off your phone, don't listen to music, stay away from the internet, don't connect with home - and if you carry on and allow the real and silent You to wonder at the utter marvelousness, the splendour, of being alive, walking this planet - this utter stunning miracle that we even exist, then what you are feeling now will pass .... All is Well ScooterB, all is well.

Buen Camino!!!!!

Yes it's a long, demanding physical and mental endurance test. On the other hand, there is the sense of satisfaction of being able to keep on keepin' on, the often beautiful landscape, the sounds and smells of the countryside and the interesting and amusing people one may meet. Having "the craic" (as we Irish say) over a few beers at the end of a day's walking is a great way to salve the physical and mental scars of the trail. There's too much wittering nonsense written about how mystical, life-transforming, soul-enhancing, etc., etc, the whole thing is. Forget about that. Drink lots of beer. You'll feel better :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As Bill Bryson points out in "A Walk in the Woods," it is an optional life activity. You do not have to do it. You can quit anytime without consequence.

I found that thought sustained me many times. When I did not have to do it, I enjoyed doing it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Look, It is just a long walk through a populated area. There is a lot of history and good food and drink and religion and people, at least a lot of people last fall when we walked. I am not sure what you were expecting. For me, it was about doing something I wanted to do, and will do it again as there is so much more to the culture that I still want to experience. The scenery and stuff seems to get better closer to the end, but if you aren't enjoying it why not bail out and head for Portofino in Portugal or the Costa del Sol and kick back with some good wine and other stuff.

Sometimes part of the "magic" happens later once you are back home. I did like the actual journey too .....however talking to a guy in Belorado (day 7 for us ) I didn't understand why on earth he did it for the 3rd time. Then a few weeks after I got back home, I just couldn't stop thinking about the Camino. How I missed the peace and quiet and beauty and the "simple daily life" yes ...walk, talk, eat and sleep. ....There were a few days between Najera and Burgos that I started to get bored with the scenery somehow.....Later, once I was back, that is where I took my favorite pictures. In a few weeks I will go back and picked that stretch to do again in the 2 weeks I have this year. I think I will experience it totally different.
For me doing the Camino is being able to "just be" ....away from all, I feel such freedom...free from phones, TV, laptops, rushing etc etc...It makes me happy :)
Just try to embrace that feeling. It may help.
However......like others said.....you can stop any day if you truly don't like it :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You know the place you are at? Keep walking and you'll see ;)

I don't know if what I have to say can be described as a pep talk ,but here goes. What were your expectations to begin with? Mine were sky high when I walked the Camino Frances.
Then I remembered why I wanted to walk in the first place. I remembered that hundreds of years ago the Camino was just used to get from one place to another and also it was used in hopes that when we arrived in Santiago our sins might be forgiven.
I am not religious as some people, but I can be more religious than others. Let me say that I really respect people if they do not feel the same as I.
I walked one hundred miles with pain in my feet that I could hardly stand it. I thought "Oh my God, what did I do that was so wrong that I had to go through this? " Then I noticed something I had not noticed. I started to get the receive gifts from strangers. It was the gift of their help and the gift of their friendship.
I used my time on the Camino to reflect my life and relationships so far, as well as to challenge my body. I was not a tourist on this trip. I was a pilgrim. My journey may not be the same as yours because we are all different. If I were you I would listen to what every one has said that fits you. Then again I might ask myself "what were my expectations and what are they now?". Hope that you meet great people, enjoy the town's and their people, and the beautiful landscapes of Spain.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hello Scooter,
So many wonderful responses. As I think of the miles and miles I have walked the analogy that comes often to mind is the following:

• picture a clear, fast moving river. You can see great numbers of stones, pebbles, rocks on the bottom of the river as the water moves quickly over them. Every now and then you see a pebble roll and tumble. Being a pilgrim on a long distance trail is similar to this. There is an unseen force that is all around us and at times it reaches down and pushes us from our comfortable position and rolls us about. After a time we will arrive at the end of the trail and return home. As time passes we will eventually see that we don't have so many jagged edges as we once did. The more time we spend on Camino (which is not necessarily on the trail, but on the Way) we each will notice that we have become more well rounded, without sharp points.
You are in the river now. Keep that open mind you mentioned. You are right where you are supposed to be.

Thank you all for your wise and witty responses. Reading them has been a pleasure and I feel TREMENDOUSLY better. I will refer back to this thread in the days and weeks to come, I'm sure.
I'm glad you are feeling much better ScooterB. This forum is great! Wise, useful, funny, factual, everything in fact. Gratitude to those who walked before us and generously sharing their experiences and wisdom. My friend and myself are only 25 days away from walking our first Camino!I can't wait to get into that fast train called the Eurostar, and the TGV, can't wait to see the French countryside from my train window, Bayonne and then St Jean, can't wait to go up the Pyrenees and see and feel what it really is like and hopefully watch the sunrise from up there, I can't wait to stay in an albergue, bedbugs and all! but hopefully without! Can't wait to meet nice and interesting people and hear their stories, can't wait to try some authentic tapas, beautiful cheeses, mouth watering gateaus, plural coz I will not be having just one,can't wait to try those Jamon Iberico, octopus, Spanish Omellette, lentil stew and so many more. I even can't wait to feel the weight of my pack on my back. I simply can't wait to start. I hope everything goes well for you! Buen Camino!

can't wait to see the French countryside from my train window, Bayonne and then St Jean, can't wait to go up the Pyrenees and see and feel what it really is like and hopefully watch the sunrise from up there, I can't wait to stay in an albergue, bedbugs and all! but hopefully without! Can't wait to meet nice and interesting people and hear their stories, can't wait to try some authentic tapas, beautiful cheeses, mouth watering gateaus, plural coz I will not be having just one,can't wait to try those Jamon Iberico, octopus, Spanish Omellette, lentil stew and so many more. I even can't wait to feel the weight of my pack on my back. I simply can't wait to start. I hope everything goes well for you! Buen Camino!
Aside from the bedbugs and Octopus.....I feel the same....even though it's my 2nd time :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If your not enjoying walking the Camino, then why are you still doing it?
My best advice is that if it sucks that much for you, then you should probably jump ship at the next town with logistics to get home.
Honestly why would you do anything you don't like to do? Not counting work, of course.
good luck
Mark, you've been away. Welcome back. :)

Maybe the OP just wants some good old fashioned letters Marine.
Yes, I understand that, and I hope not to sound too lacking in empathy but the whole dang walk is voluntary and not life or death. Most people use vacation time to do it. Vacation. That period of time when one is not at work and out there enjoying themselves (hopefully).
Honestly if part way through a Camino walk I got tired of doing it, I'd hop off at the next town I could and spend the remainder of the time I had chilling and drinking beer down in Valencia or Granada or something.

Yes, I understand that, and I hope not to sound too lacking in empathy but the whole dang walk is voluntary and not life or death. Most people use vacation time to do it. Vacation. That period of time when one is not at work and out there enjoying themselves (hopefully).
Honestly if part way through a Camino walk I got tired of doing it, I'd hop off at the next town I could and spend the remainder of the time I had chilling and drinking beer down in Valencia or Granada or something.
You chimed in late into the conversation. She asked for a bit of motivation, got it and walked on. Have you never had a bad day on the Camino?

Mark, perhaps you need to 'chill' a bit yourself. :) The OP has got over it, and is having a good time. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Honestly? Not really. I figure, it's all good. ;)
The worst day away from work is better than the best day at work. :cool:
We (my son and I ) never had a bad day either. Not all of them were amazing. But 90% of the time we simply loved it ! I had a few days that were just "good" (for example, we didn't like the stretch between Granon and Belorado much ) but that being said....even those certainly did beat work :) ! Did I have sore feet? yes. Was I tired sometimes? Yes. But everyday on the trail felt like a special treat. I mean, just being away from your daily routine in such amazing scenery !!!!! However, as I wrote earlier, I didn't realize I was "hooked" until I got back.
I know the OP seems to feel better and hope for her she will get to enjoy it more. However that being said.......the Camino is not for everybody. It may be as simple as that.

Mark, perhaps you need to 'chill' a bit yourself. :) The OP has got over it, and is having a good time. :)
Yeah, y'all got me to thinking, and I shall retract my original response.
Cheers and I'll drink some cold ones for her manana at the fest. :cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm glad you are feeling much better ScooterB. This forum is great! Wise, useful, funny, factual, everything in fact. Gratitude to those who walked before us and generously sharing their experiences and wisdom. My friend and myself are only 25 days away from walking our first Camino!I can't wait to get into that fast train called the Eurostar, and the TGV, can't wait to see the French countryside from my train window, Bayonne and then St Jean, can't wait to go up the Pyrenees and see and feel what it really is like and hopefully watch the sunrise from up there, I can't wait to stay in an albergue, bedbugs and all! but hopefully without! Can't wait to meet nice and interesting people and hear their stories, can't wait to try some authentic tapas, beautiful cheeses, mouth watering gateaus, plural coz I will not be having just one,can't wait to try those Jamon Iberico, octopus, Spanish Omellette, lentil stew and so many more. I even can't wait to feel the weight of my pack on my back. I simply can't wait to start. I hope everything goes well for you! Buen Camino!
I'm arriving at Biarritz on the 14th. It seems at the same time as you!?

I very much hope that having written your original post, that you have begun to experience some of the 'magic' of the Camino. I would like to share the following, which I read on this Forum and which resonated and touched me deeply :

John Steinbeck once famously described Cannery Row as “a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream.” And the Camino de Santiago, an ancient pilgrimage route in Spain, might be similarly described. The Camino is a rotten sock, a throbbing blister, a lingering burn, a Pyrenees-pass, and a table of strangers, atheists, and religious devotees who learn to share a peaceful meal. The Camino is a disagreement about the perennial questions and the meaning of it all: pain, prayer, solitude, communion, of whether it is sane to think there is a higher Way. The Camino is an awkward communal bathroom, a forced pre-dawn wake-up, a rickety top bunk, and a cacophony of snoring. The Camino is the belligerent German who drinks all the table wine, the esoteric spiritualist whose feet never touch the ground, and the grieving widow who walks to mourn her loss. The Camino is a swirl of faces and intentions and infirmities, all aiming at a single end.

For us, we were two old buddies hitting the road. Every other year we took a long hike, and this year, we felt the Camino calling. We’d heard reports about the trail’s burgeoning comeback; an estimated 200,000 pilgrims were now walking it every year. Both of us were in states of transition—geographically, vocationally, spiritually—and little sounded better to us than a long, unhurried walk.

In the end, the Camino was all we expected and more. Indeed, so much so that when we returned to our home cities, we started emailing each other notes from the journals we kept along the way, in hopes of capturing the essence of the trail.

On paper, the Camino de Santiago (or “Way of St. James”) looks like an unerring walk in a park. From the comfort of your living room, you flip through idyllic footpaths across northern Spain, all of which meander through lush and perfect countryside. You become an expert on the Camino’s history—an early Roman trade route turned pilgrimage by the discovery of the bones of St. James in the ninth century. Then you scroll through photos of pilgrims reaching the cathedral in Santiago, falling to their knees and basking in spiritual epiphany and self-discovery. From your couch, it looks as if they barely break a sweat.

However, as you arrive in Spain and climb the steps of the Metro de Madrid, your mind is occupied with other things: (1) the concentration of well-dressed people in Spain, none of whom are wearing hiking shorts; (2) the blister already forming on the ball of your left foot; and (3) the pressure you now feel to begin deriving spiritual meaning from everything. As you near the top of the stairs, you hear a familiar tune on an old violin. It takes you a moment to place it, but as you walk by, it hits you. You’re entering Spain to Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” It’s heavy-handed, of course, but you don’t really mind. You wonder: is this how God speaks? On the Camino, the question never seems that far away.

Every modern-day pilgrim walks by choice. (In the old days, many walked the Camino for penance.) Yet the reasons for each pilgrim are mysterious. “If you think about it,” one 21-year-old said in Santiago, “it makes no sense. You walk punishing distances, to get bad sleep, to eat mediocre food. Why would anyone do this?” But then he adds, as if to answer his own question: “I think this has been the best month of my life.”

The physical rhythm of the Camino is not hard to describe. You wake up in a room full of strangers, fumble around for your clothes, walk as far as your feet, partner, or guidebook will allow, and chatter with others along the way. Then you find another bed, take a shower and inspect your feet for blisters, break bread with fellow pilgrims, go to sleep, and repeat the cycle all over again. The spiritual rhythm, however, evades all description.

Most nights you sleep in an albergue, which is essentially a kind of pilgrim hostel, not open to the public. Depending on your point of view, the albergues are either a focal point of suffering or the reclamation of a lost communal ideal. No two albergues are the same, nor are the hospitaleros who run them. Some albergues grasp brazenly after dollars, others seem reluctant to accept donations. The services are similarly diverse. The quality of a bed bears no obvious relation to its price, or to the likelihood of a bone-shattering roll off the top bunk. Some albergues radiate warmth, others exude military discipline. Germophobes and light-sleepers, take note. At no point in life does the strength of your earplugs matter more.

The pain experienced by most pilgrims on the Camino is temporary—a blistered heel, perhaps, or a snoring roommate. But where the Camino really gets to you is in the sheer volume of these inconveniences. Most people can handle a blister on a normal day. But when you combine it with a full-body ache, a peeling sunburn, and a roommate who bellows in his sleep like an asthmatic dolphin, then you have begun to know that special cocktail of pain and comedy only the Camino can deliver. In a matter of days, even the hardiest pilgrims whimper. The tattered parka, the socks swinging from the backpack, the sad hobble without the dignity of crutches: this is how you spot a pilgrim in your local Spanish town.

Savvy entrepreneurs offer a variety of shortcuts and pain-saving conveniences, whether via luggage services, buses, or taxis. But the sensitive pilgrim should be forewarned: using these services will lead to draconian judgment from other pilgrims. In this sense, the Camino is not always the lovefest one might imagine.

On the Camino, everyone is afflicted. Along the 750 km from the French border, the pilgrim doesn’t know how the pain will arrive, but in every case it will. Pain on the Camino is ubiquitous, no matter the preparation. You purchase the best boots, only to get shin splints; or you stretch out your legs in the morning with great care, only to pick up stowaway bed bugs. And the same dynamic exists in the pilgrim’s relations with others. You enjoy a moment of blissful connection at dinner, only to learn the next day that your tablemate is a fraud. Or, more often, that you yourself are a fraud in some sense, much less generous than you once imagined. The Camino pulls the pilgrim apart, and you cannot help but see the results: spoonfuls of self-awareness handfed from some hidden Benevolence. The most honest travel brochure for the Camino should read: “You will feel pain.” And then, for added accuracy: “And you will have all the time you need to think about it.”

The main English guidebook offers two paths to follow each day, the practical path and the mystical path. The practical path tells you to turn left at the derelict stone mill and cross the stream to follow the yellow trailmarks. The mystical path, meanwhile, tells you to become the wood stork on top of the mill, and scour the nearby stream for spiritual light. Each path can be useful at different times.

By the third day, the pilgrim’s entire body is in shock. You collapse into bed in the evening, every bone shouting: “WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!” By day ten, however, you feel better than you’ve ever felt before. The rhythm is in your bones now, and you’ve seen most of the Camino’s dirty tricks: the shabby housing, the intense strain, the quirky pilgrims. You begin to embrace it all.

As the new normal sets in, the landscape continues to change. The cloud-covered Pyrenees open to the grape-growing Rioja, which then opens to the desert, which then opens to the rolling green hills of Galicia. You get used to the beauty of these regions, just in time to watch them go.

In the mornings, you walk alone. After the chaotic nights, the mornings are best for untangling the meaning of the prior day. In the dawn light the birds chirp merrily, and the hills are even more green than normal. The noisy pilgrims doze quietly in their bunks. In moments like these, as you descend into silence, the pressure to feel something reaches its peak. The challenge, it seems, is in matching your sanctity of setting with some equal sanctity of thought. There are tricks, maybe—prayers, Icelandic music, mantras—but no combination provides the automatic lift. Physically and spiritually, the Camino offers no shortcuts.

One explanation for the Camino’s growing popularity is that it lifts the modern pilgrim, however temporarily, out of the sad and tired pleasure-seeking our society commonly equates to well-being—a “well-being” wherein we spend most of our lives earning money in order to buy buildings where we store things that do not bring us joy. Deadened by such routines, on the Camino the pilgrim enters into a daily rhythm so unlike normal life that it jolts her into a different kind of awareness. The pilgrim strolls out into the open sky and feels the sunlight on her skin, the electric presence of others, the reality of pain, the depth of the inner life—a life made small to the extent it is funneled toward consumption. At the same time, the pilgrim sees the absurdity of trying to carry too much along, and the pettiness of how we self-classify and divide. (At the end of a long day, kindness is more compelling to the average pilgrim than an impressive job.) Indeed, in the Camino’s many communal moments, the pilgrim feels the humanity shared by every other pilgrim, and the many sad splinters through which we fragment and obscure it. The pilgrim, for a moment, feels the raw simplicity of being alive.

Along the way, you meet outstanding pilgrims. People who seem like they were born for the Camino. One such pilgrim, for us, was Flopsy Lewis. “Flops,” as she goes for short, is a 71-year-old teacher who now lives in Zimbabwe. Flops is a devout Catholic and makes friends wherever she goes. At any point you can ask any other pilgrim, “Where is Flops?” and the answer is always a hand pointing forward or back. Flops is an acknowledged source of wisdom on the trail. You hear no less than three dinner-table epiphanies that begin with the words, “Well, I was talking to Flops today and…” Flops walks alone, except when she doesn’t. She doesn’t group herself with any one of the pilgrims, yet is unfailingly generous with her time. Flops is sprightly, awake, kind. Whatever she has, you want. You pick up a kind of joy and well-being simply from being around her, and you mourn the loss when she walks ahead.

It can be hard to describe what the pilgrim feels in the final few weeks. Arrival in Santiago brings with it a raft of emotions: sadness that the end is near, and elation to take off the muddy boots once and for all.

As you reach the city center, you drift into the current of pilgrims and wind through the cobblestone streets, passing ancient fountains and discharged pilgrims walking the other way. As you near the final square, you descend through a staircase and pass down through a stone tunnel. Near the entrance, a man inside plays a handheld melodica. For a moment you fear that entry will be spoiled with the wrong song, but then you hear the melody: I heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord—but you don’t really care for music, do ya? You can’t believe it. It’s sappy, you know, and you shake your head. Nonetheless, as you cross into the square, the feeling is real. The Camino is not a victory march. The pain, the bad sleep, the achy bones and blistered feet: all the indignities of the Camino are now being swept up into this. Arrival turns them into something else. You look around to see familiar faces. The Germans, the Spaniards, the Koreans, and the Danes; the young and the old; the sick and the healthy; the impressive and the seemingly insignificant—all the people you met are now streaming into the square. The square blesses them and welcomes them in. And the emotion you feel now, despite every ounce of cynicism encrusting your heart, overwhelms you. On your lips there is a cold and broken hallelujah.

On the flight home, jammed into your window seat, the line between sacred and secular has never felt more unclear to you. Your mind drifts back to the hills, to the warmth of the pilgrims you met, and this mystery of pain and joy in alternation. Whatever it is you feel now, you want to keep. You are not—as the Camino made clear—as noble as you thought, but the path is no less lovely for it. The world is something you couldn’t begin to dream up yourself: a path miraculous with detail, and a pair of eyes through which to take it in. In even the smallest things, the heart can seethe with anger or become radiant in love. “You can listen to the Camino if you want,” one pilgrim said, “but it never forces you to.” And this, like all else, will be hotly debated among pilgrims until the end of time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just returned from our Camino last Friday. We started in mid-March. The first four days was snow, rain, sleet and more snow with heavy winds, we thought that was bad. About day 9 or 10 I felt like throwing it in. So we rested for 24 hours, mad a big difference in my attitude. We had a total of 4 sunny days out of the 36 we walked. After about 2 weeks of walking I got happy again. and had a wonderful walk learning a lot about myself in the process.

I just returned from our Camino last Friday. We started in mid-March. The first four days was snow, rain, sleet and more snow with heavy winds, we thought that was bad. About day 9 or 10 I felt like throwing it in. So we rested for 24 hours, mad a big difference in my attitude. We had a total of 4 sunny days out of the 36 we walked. After about 2 weeks of walking I got happy again. and had a wonderful walk learning a lot about myself in the process.
That is a testament of inner strength. I must say for those who have not endured the harsh conditions of the outdoors for extended days a warm building or leaving would be easier.

SALUTE!

Scooter,
Maybe this is why you are not feeling it. You are looking for it.
Sometimes, you just need to enjoy the ride, see , touch, eat, be there in the moment..., the magic will follow.
Each experience is unique and special. Having done 5 caminos to date, each one was special.
As I am on a business trip in Hong Kong, can't feel but envoys of you being in the Camino.
Take good care, and Buen Camino!!!

Texasguy

Deadened by such routines, on the Camino the pilgrim enters into a daily rhythm so unlike normal life that it jolts her into a different kind of awareness.

I think that this is what I'm looking for.

It Kind of just happens and you might not even notice it, Like my experiences some I knew right away others I did not notice to after the fact that it was a camino blessing. Keep a open mind and go with the flow of the camino. without going into a long story People seemed to pop out of no where when I was in need, I walked most of the camino alone and had plenty of time to think, reflect and take in the camino. Yes the days were long, I ended up with a infected foot but I finished and seeing Santiago was a experience all in itself.

I have many stories of the magic, Remember the camino has a plan for us all I had a plan and after the first day that plan was throw out the window. Along my way after walking I would sit drink some wine, Go into a church in every town that was open,Pray and reflect Have a few more glasses of wine, buy a bottle of wine and leave it unopened for the next group that would arrive the next day. The magic can happen both ways having the magic happen to you or be one who spreads the magic

GollyGolly,
What is your source for this long essay? Would you please cite it.
Thank you.
MM

I could not recall where I had seen it, but it was not long ago and when I read it, it was one of those personal moments of feeling impacted and uplifted by what I read. In my view it is a beautiful piece of writing from someone who, again in my view, "really got and understood" the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back