• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

help me find the Way! lol

Kay803

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (Sept 2015)
hello Camino friends

I am curently in Ancora, heading to Caminha tomorrow, then on to Valenca. I'm having a very difficult finding markers (mainly just followed the coast from Porto) but soon I will have to turn east. Can someone give me some idea about how well marked the Way is from here to Valenca? I know I will be on the N13 for a bit. But so far I've run into exactly four other pilgrims, and i'm worried about getting lost once I get away from the coast.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences? grateful for all responses

kay

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hello Camino friends

I am curently in Ancora, heading to Caminha tomorrow, then on to Valenca. I'm having a very difficult finding markers (mainly just followed the coast from Porto) but soon I will have to turn east. Can someone give me some idea about how well marked the Way is from here to Valenca? I know I will be on the N13 for a bit. But so far I've run into exactly four other pilgrims, and i'm worried about getting lost once I get away from the coast.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences? grateful for all responses

kay

Hi Kay, the way is probably not marked from Caminha to Valenca. From Caminha the coastal route crosses the Rio Minho to A Guarda and it continues from there along the coast to Oia, Baiona and Vigo to join the main route at Redondela. Bom caminho. Jill

Thank you that sounds like a better plan. From Ancora to Caminha today was very well marked. I was not looking forward to N13 just a few minutes on the road today was nerve-racking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you that sounds like a better plan. From Ancora to Caminha today was very well marked. I was not looking forward to N13 just a few minutes on the road today was nerve-racking.

Hi Kay, yes, Portuguese roads are seriously scarey! Usually there is no shoulder at all to walk on. If you have to walk on the road, hold your hiking pole sideways, and then the cars will make a point of going around you (to avoid the pointy pole!), rather than driving next to you.

I am thinking of walking this coastal route early next year. I have heard that it is way-marked, but I do not know of any budget places to stay. Please let us know if you come across any albergues between Caminha and Vigo. Many thanks! Jill

This may sound simplistic but keep the water on you left. :)

Lol yes Jacobus that's how I have stayed on the Way since Porto, so that is good advice to continue. People are telling me there will be more pilgrims after Valenca, I've been lonely! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bom caminho. It will be getting safer after Valença do Minho.
From there you will go with the flow.
It will be the busiest part because lots of walkers will start to walk in Valença do Minho or Tuí for the last 100 kms or so to Santiago.

In Valença do Minho is an albergue. I myself prefer to stay in Valença do Minho rather than in the albergue in Tuí.
It is the last oportunity to stay in Portugal. Valença do Minho is worthwhile to visit, specially the famous fortification overlooking the Minho river, the famous Eiffel bridge and Tuí.
Keep in mind once crossing the bridge, the time is one hour ahead so if you start walking in Valença do Minho at f.ex. at 8h00 it is 9h00 in Spain..

Entering o Porriño keep an eye on (misleading) waymarkers.
The normal waymarkers lead you onto a bouring industrial estate for miles. There should be waymarkers to a green detour along a river but local entrepreneurs of restaurants frequently wipe them out and try to pass you their negociations.

In O Porriño is an albergue

Next day you follow to Redondela where in the middle of the town is a very busy, noisy and smelly municipal albergue.
Better is to walk 3 kms further to Cessantes where is the refúxio de La Jerézana, a rather new albergue, clean and comfortable with a very kind hospitalera, Marie who can serve you a nice diner and breakfast before the next day you will meet some steep ascendings and decendings to Pontevedra. The refúxio is waymarked by posters at trees and poles but easy to find
From Redondela you walk on rural paths
Once you arrive after about 3 kms from Redondela at a very busy N road to cross (at the corner of that crossing is a kind of bar /shop at your left) turn to the right and after about 100 meters you will find the refúxio at the right side just in a bend of the road.

Bom caminho

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back