• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Help me get Alun to Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
Alun and I are in Salinillas de Burdadon, on The Vasco, and we will get to Santo Domingo tomorrow. If all goes well, we will hop on a bus to Burgos Santo Domingo to Burgos at 1:55 and 15:40 I think) and from Burgos to Aguilar de Campoo (only one bus at 5:30 pm). I am pretty certain about those times because I checked it out before I left home). We hope to start the Olvidado on Thursday from Aguilar.

I’ve sketched out my first few days from Aguilar and it looks like we can arrive in Pola de Gordon on Wednesday June 19. We should be able to arrive fairly early in the day.

Can someone with a computer confirm for me that there are plenty of buses to Leon from Pola de Gordon on either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning?

Second question—can you give me an idea of trains or buses from Leon to santiago? Alun has a flight from Santiago back home on Saturday the 22.

So I am assuming there is a surplus of time here but would really appreciate it if someone can confirm. It’s hard to find transportation options on the phone.

Many thanks! Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@peregrina2000 Yes I can confirm , lots of buses from la Pola to Leon on Wednesday the 19th. Alsa operating.

Also a train from la Pola at 18.01 to Leon arriving at 18.39.

Friday 21st
Leon bus to Santiago.
Leaves at 16.30 and arrives at 22.45 in SdC
Alsa!

Or Renfe/ Train.

14.43 - 19.59
17.26 - 21. 58

Last edited:
My 2 cents on this... Thursday 18th is Corpus Christi, it might be a holiday in places and have a reduce public transport service, but it seems you will have that day in León, there might be some official procesions, even.
Buen Camino, Laurie!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best wishes to you both. You are formidable! xx

It's quite a few days ahead for you but, assuming you're planning on taking the Invierno into Compostela, I'd recommend leaving the Olvidado near the Báracena reservoir and going straight into Ponferrada, rather than following the official route on to Villafranca del Bierzo. As well as saving a day or so, the main advantage is that you get to pass the glorious (possibly partly pre-)Romanesque/mozárabe church of Santo Tomás de las Ollas, with its amazing horseshoe arches and breathtaking almost circular simple apse.

It's quite a few days ahead for you but, assuming you're planning on taking the Invierno into Compostela, I'd recommend leaving the Olvidado near the Báracena reservoir and going straight into Ponferrada, rather than following the official route on to Villafranca del Bierzo. As well as saving a day or so, the main advantage is that you get to pass the glorious (possibly partly pre-)Romanesque/mozárabe church of Santo Tomás de las Ollas, with its amazing horseshoe arches and breathtaking almost circular simple apse.
Alan, was it open? The info I see online says to call the Ponferrada tourist office

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Alan, was it open? The info I see online says to call the Ponferrada tourist office
I was sitting sadly outside thinking I would never see the interior when Manuela, a relatively elderly lady living in one of the houses on the square in front of the church came out with the key and let me in and gave me a lot of information about this fascinating site, including that it's just possible that it's of Visigothic origin. If Manuela isn't about, she told me that the local bar will let people know where she is, or find a key somewhere else (they're clearly justly proud if this hidden gem in the area). And then only a km or so into the centre of Ponferrada. "Vaut le detour", as the Michelin guides used to say.

I was sitting sadly outside thinking I would never see the interior when Manuela, a relatively elderly lady living in one of the houses on the square in front of the church came out with the key and let me in and gave me a lot of information about this fascinating site, including that it's just possible that it's of Visigothic origin. If Manuela isn't about, she told me that the local bar will let people know where she is, or find a key somewhere else (they're clearly justly proud if this hidden gem in the area). And then only a km or so into the centre of Ponferrada. "Vaut le detour", as the Michelin guides used to say.
Hoping to get inside this gem tomorrow on my way into Ponferrada. Thanks Alan for the tip.

Alan, we must have taken different routes from the reservoir, because I came into Ponferrada through Columbrianos on the Francés. I never got anywhere near this church. ☹️I walked a (sort of) marked route that split off from the route to Villafranca and then went up and through fields and a pine forest. Then another suburb before Columbrianos. How did you walk?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back