• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me pick a route please!

VCB915

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi!

I fly into Madrid on the 28th of June. I have to leave Santiago on the 10th of July. Does anyone have any recommendations of places that I could start the Camino at? Originally, I was thinking Leon, but I feel like I need more time than that. This is my first Camino and I am hiking solo, so I am not looking to rush. Thank you!

Veronica

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Porto to Santiago, it's lovely and "less traveled" than the CF.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ponferrada, easy to get to from Madrid. Buen Camino, SY

Thank you! And could I take a train or bus easily there from the Madrid airport? Thank you!
Yes, there is a train. I met several pilgrims who did that in 2013. WARNING, one of them left her backpack in the luggage space of the train and watched in horror as some sleaze jumped off the train at a station near Madrid with her pack.

Ponferrada, easy to get to from Madrid. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you so much! Could you tell me a little bit about Ponferrada? Have you walked through that area before? Thanks so much for your suggestiosn!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes I have indeed ;-) Ponferrada is a biggish town, so no problem about finding accommodation and food. Lots to see also, the basilica, the templars castle. Excellent vine and food also ;-) And you have a day or so on flattish / only mildly hilly ground before having to tackle O Cebreiro. Buen Camino! SY

Yes I have indeed ;-) Ponferrada is a biggish town, so no problem about finding accommodation and food. Lots to see also, the basilica, the templars castle. Excellent vine and food also ;-) And you have a day or so on flattish / only mildly hilly ground before having to tackle O Cebreiro. Buen Camino! SY
Awesome!! THank you so much! And you think it would take me about 10 days or so to walk from there to Santiago?

Awesome!! THank you so much! And you think it would take me about 10 days or so to walk from there to Santiago?

Ponferrada is approximately 210km/130mi away from Santiago. With 10 days walking it would make for a leisurely walk and if you have days left over at the end, just enjoy Santiago or walk on to the coast. Buen Camino! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you arrive in Madrid on the 28th and leave immediately (same day, which means no real free time to see Madrid) for your starting point that means you could start on June 29 after your travels. And if you have to leave Santiago on July 10 you would have to arrive in Santiago on the 9th. That gives you 10 days on the Camino with no free time at either end.

You can start in Ferrol for the English Route, or Tui for the Portugese Route or Sarria for the French route and finish in 5 days (or more if you choose), and still earn a Compostuela. That would give you the option to spend a day or so in Madrid, or Santiago, and still walk the three days to the coast. If walking to the coast is not important, then you could start a further back on the French Route or the Portugese Route. The English route starts in Ferrol.

To find out about the Portugese Route check out this blog - magwood.wordpress.com -. She also did the French Route several years ago. Tui looks like a really nice town to visit.

I did the English route because my time was limited and had a very memorable Camino. The route is supposed to more pastoral than other routes (although it doesn't sound much more pastoral than the Portugese Route). I was alone, by choice, most of the time.

Not having a free day in Santiago to see the city and truly experience the Cathedral would not be an option for me.

The French route from Sarria is supposed to be quite busy, but conversely has lots of options for lodging and food - much more than was on the English route. There wasn't any real lack of accommodations on the English route, just not as many choices, or choices as frequent as on the other routes.

If you do decide to do the English Route, get John Walker's guide book. It is excellent.

Buen Camino

Hi!

I fly into Madrid on the 28th of June. I have to leave Santiago on the 10th of July. Does anyone have any recommendations of places that I could start the Camino at? Originally, I was thinking Leon, but I feel like I need more time than that. This is my first Camino and I am hiking solo, so I am not looking to rush. Thank you!

Veronica

Hi Veronica,

There is also "The Winterway"/Camino Inverno from Ponferrada to Santiago in 10 days. It is less crowded than The French Camino. It goes though the winedistrict Ribeira Sacra, following the lowlands and the River Sil valley.

I am walking this camino in September.

Hanne

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back