• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me pick a route?

S

sjf

I have just under a week to walk, with a flight booked to arrive at SCQ on October 10. I've done long-distance pilgrimage walks before (St Cuthbert's Way in the UK, 100+ km, and others), and I'm in good physical shape, but I've never walked the Camino before. I see this very much as a pilgrimage and I would like the compostella at the end of it.

I had been planning for the standard Frances, Sarria-Santiago walk. This may still be the best option, but now I'm starting to wonder if another route would be better. I like the idea of infrastructure and options along the way and the Frances appears to have a great deal of flexibility as to where and when I stop each day. I don't like the idea of crowds or a more tourist mentality, and I know that while October is not high season for pilgrims, the week I'll be walking includes a major holiday and therefore will probably be busy.

When I walked St Cuthbert's way, I saw 3 other pilgrims during the first 98 km, and that was wonderful for me - I needed the quiet time for reflection, although it did require much more planning for meals, accommodations, etc. I do like the idea of the freedom of walking a route like the Frances with lots of infrastructure and support but I'm more than capable of planning around this if I wind up on another path.

Wha would you suggest? Should I just go ahead with the Frances and enjoy the crowd as part of the experience? Should I look at the last part of the Portuguese? Or somewhere else? Or should I choose instead to walk from Santiago to Finisterre etc?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you see this as a pilgrimage, than you will want to arrive in Santiago.

Lots of options: the Primitivo from Lugo (though it joins the Frances in Melide), the Ingles, the Sanabres from Ourense, yes, the Portugues but not very nice in my opinion, the last bit of the Norte.

Or walking backwards from Fisterra or Muxia, but finding the arrows will be more difficult.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks! I've been doing a little more research and I'm interested in both the Portuguese route from Tui and the Ingles from Ferrell. Which one has more sea views? Better scenery? And how flexible are these routes? So far, the stages I've seen are 15-25 km per day and I think I'd prefer a pace of around 30 km if that's possible.

Thanks! I've been doing a little more research and I'm interested in both the Portuguese route from Tui and the Ingles from Ferrell. Which one has more sea views? Better scenery? And how flexible are these routes? So far, the stages I've seen are 15-25 km per day and I think I'd prefer a pace of around 30 km if that's possible.
No see views on either, as they are inland. Unless on the Portugues you take the Variante Espiritual, which has some gorgeous stretches, and a river boat ride, a lunch in the olf and picturesque village of Combarro.

Hello!
I have recently returned from walking from Lisboa to Santiago and completed the Camino Frances several years ago......whichever route you choose will be the right one! If you only have a week and wish to end in Santiago, I would choose 7 days of walking on the Camino Portuguese. Incredible people, food, scenery....you will certainly want to return to walk either of these routes in full. Walking from Porto to Santiago may be an option if you could add a few days.
Safe journey, michelle

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you have just under a week and want to receive the Compostela then this are your options:
1) Frances (Sarria)
2) Invierno (Monforte de Lemos)
3) Sanabres (Ourense)
4) Portugal (Tui)
5) Finisterre/Muxia (you should include both in any direction for Compostela)
6) Ingles (Ferrol)
7) Norte (Baamonde???)
8) Primitivo (Lugo)
Most of the starting points 100km rule have good transport connections with SdC. But only Fisterra/Muxia has some real sea views and first two days on Ingles too but those are Rias Baixas which are rivers/estuaries with some nice beaches though like before Pontedeume and Mino. I guess in October any route but Frances and Portugues won't be packed with pilgrims.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.