• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me pick my pack! :)

Jakesheridan

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2022
Hi!! My name's Jake and I'm hiking the Camino Frances from St. Jean in April/May. So excited! I'm picking out a pack this week. I've never bought a backpack before, so I'd love to hear about what packs worked for you and would appreciate any advice on the packs I'm looking at (shared below!).

A little about me: I'm 6'3, 180lb, 22y/o, fitted at 20 in. (so M/L bag). Here's what I'm looking at:

-- Osprey Talon 44L or 36L (some other Osprey's looked good too!)
-- Deuter ACT Lite 40L
-- Exped Verglas 40L (really curious about this one.. seems more fit for alpine but could clip water and think it'd be fine then?)
-- REI Trail 40L (cheapest option, with bonus points for great color... seems to get great reviews but haven't seen on recommendation sites!) (leaning here rn!)

Btw -- packing light for sure, but also want something at 40L that I can continue to use on weekend camping hikes. Also, will be carrying bag on planes :) Thanks for the help!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a cheapskate and a minimalist when it comes to gear to carry on the Camino as it requires very little in the way of technical, sturdy equipment. Any of those packs is more than capable for the Camino.
I personally would choose either the Osprey or the REI. If money is a factor the REI for sure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought the previous version of the REI Trail 40 two years ago shortly before the new (current) version was released and seriously could not be happier with it. I've been using it for long day hikes and the occasional weekend camping trip and it carries really comfortably. I've also been packing it with what I intend to take on my upcoming CF in May and it has room for everything, with ample organizational features and without too many extraneous bells and whistles. The full double zipper system makes loading and unloading the bag a lot easier than bags that open from the top only, which I anticipate will be helpful in getting my gear out and back in quickly and efficiently for those early morning albergue situations. There are a few reviews online that seem to back up my favorable opinion - and the top review on REI.com for the previous version (the one that I have) is from someone who used it on their own Camino a while back and called it "perfect". And you can't beat the price, not to mention REI's easy return policy if you do buy it and have a change of heart before your trip. Very highly recommended!

Last edited:
Take the best fitting! Prefer the lightest!

My b/p was 940gr. frame-free Meteor (40l) in 2019. Meteor is the OEM for Decathlon.

I bought a new frame-free b/p for crossing the Alps and fitted a flexible carbon rod, held by velcros, so he stands upright (that's what I've learned on the CF), even when not loaded. That added 15gr. to his final weight of almost a kilogram (2,25lbs).

If you walk more than 500mi, every gram / oz counts!

Have fun and enjoy your Camino!

Most important is to try and walk with the pack with weight in it. So, find a shop that will allow you to put weight into the pack and walk around the shop for a while. It's less about brands and price, but about how well the pack fits and feels on your back.

For my first camino I used a ~20 years old supermarket bought no-brand backpack and it worked well enough. Now for the last seven years I use a cheap, heavy, giant Decathlon one and couldn't be happier with it.

I have no experience with any of the brands you mentioned except Deuter. Once I used a friend's Deuter pack for a hike, and it was very comfortable. She's had it for >10 years now I think, seems to be good quality.

Happy planning and buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi Jake!

I second what @good_old_shoes says, you really need to try them on. Outdoor stores usually have weights you can put in them to try. I tried on loads with the assistant helping me to make sure the fit was right. I think I spent more time trying on backpacks than I did wedding dresses! Consequently my backpack fits like a dream and is a real pleasure to carry.

Hi Jake - how exciting!! Ah, which rucksack - well, it depends on you, your size, shape, how you walk, what you will carry, budget, etc - but as it is your first pack, first, before you choose a rucksack, you need to learn how to adjust a pack to fit your body - put "how to fit a rucksack" into Youtube as there are lots of videos.

So don't go into the shop as a novice, learn how to fit first. I have seen so many pilgrims wearing their packs with their hip belts on their waist rather than covering the top of the pelvis bones.

At 6' 3" I would be surprised if you are an m/l, unless you have long legs and shorter body. If there is a choice go for the longer one.

Once you know how to fit a pack, and have double checked your back length then starting putting them on, but not empty. Choose some nice bulky and heavy items from around the store and stuff them full.

Many outdoorsy folk have more than one rucksack and you may be making a mistake trying to buy a pack for two different uses. What you carry on Camino can be very different from what you carry on camping hikes at home, so maybe focus in on a Camino specific pack - when you get home, why, if you like this hiking thing, then buy a bigger pack for that use.

The Deuter is very heavy so a no for me.
The Exped doesn't have those useful compartments and easy water bottle storage - so that would be a no for me.
The REI is very pretty but seems short and lacking good lift adjusters - so no for me.
Osprey packs have all the compartments and tightening straps and adjustment and are supremely comfortable ...
the 44 is 1.4kilos but the 36 is only 1.1 kilos - so if I had to choose (and I am not you!) it would be the Talon 36 a L size.

How to choose? Size. Fit (comfort). Weight. Cost, more or less in that order - oh, and enjoy!!

Last edited:
Hi!! My name's Jake and I'm hiking the Camino Frances from St. Jean in April/May. So excited! I'm picking out a pack this week. I've never bought a backpack before, so I'd love to hear about what packs worked for you and would appreciate any advice on the packs I'm looking at (shared below!).

A little about me: I'm 6'3, 180lb, 22y/o, fitted at 20 in. (so M/L bag). Here's what I'm looking at:

-- Deuter ACT Lite 40L
-- Exped Verglas 40L (really curious about this one.. seems more fit for alpine but could clip water and think it'd be fine then?)
-- REI Trail 40L (cheapest option, with bonus points for great color... seems to get great reviews but haven't seen on recommendation sites!) (leaning here rn!)

Btw -- packing light for sure, but also want something at 40L that I can continue to use on weekend camping hikes. Also, will be carrying bag on planes :) Thanks for the help!!
I have the Osprey Talon 44 and it suited me perfectly. I saw so many other people with them that I uttered the cliche "I wish I had a dollar for each one I saw" to a passing pilgrim, who also had one. 😻

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another factor in backpack selection is you. Your experience and physical abilities and condition. I see you are only 22 years old. You are asking for backpack advice on a forum with, and I'm not talking about just myself, mostly regular members who are at least twice your age. A 22 year old person is going to walk the Camino differently than a person twice that age, and more. My 22 year old self would have gleefully run circles around my current self on the Camino now, lol.
For you the lightest or smallest pack may not be the best as pack weight not so much an issue for you, and pack sturdiness and comfort is, especially if you're going to use it for real backpacking later.
Mind you, if you plan on carrying it on flights check out the dimensions of the pack and the current maximum dimensions most airlines post on their webpage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Recommend a Gregory 40 or 50 liter. In my opinion the best pack on earth. Max weight then not more than 10 kilos. See Camino packing list, and use it. Good luck.

Lightness plus good quality will still give good durability. If 40l then light contstruction is a good idea to keep the weight down. If for summer use then ventilation is important. If you want to use it for camping later and get a bigger one, don't be tempted to add possibles+ nice to haves/ just in case items (it will fill up fast and the weight will increase proportionately). Your frame at 6'3" may mean the weight is not so much of an issue however? A 33l will make it possible to not fall foul of cabin luggage limits. I use an Osprey Talon 33.

Hi Jake, i too am pretty much in the same position as you. i am 6'0" and 200lbs, planniing my first camino I went to an REI and got fitted. I measured a large. The guys at REI had a couple of weights to simulate carrying the pack with a load. It makes a difference in the feel of the pack while wearing it. I ordered an Osprey Exos 38.

The Gossamer Gear ‘Gorilla 50 Ultralight’ backpack is worth serious consideration 🙂

Things are sometimes a series of trade offs and compromises.

Cost vs weight seems to be the most obvious trade-off when considering backpacking gear :). For example, IFyou are planning to do hundreds of miles a year backpacking or hiking, then the trade off might lean more toward lighter and better manufactured gear.

If one is not going to become a serious backpacking junkie, then the best strategy is to go with gear that may weigh a bit more, but is also less expensive. Because I have, until now, averaged 600 to 900 miles of hiking in high mountain areas from Spring until late Fall, all of my gear is either very light or ultra light.

The one other thing that is personally important to me: All of my backpacks, regardless of make or capacity, must be able to take aboard an aircraft as a carry on. Thus far, I have never had to forgo purchasing or using a backpack because it does not meet carry on restrictions.. . . even my 60 liter Gossamer Gear Mariposa.

I had a past a bad experience of an airline losing all of my gear, having checked my backpack as luggage. This was one day before I was due to start a month long backpacking trip. Now, I always carry on my backpack which is also carrying my gear.

That's my preference because most of the gear I have is ultralight gear that is not easily replaceable at a lot of sports stores. Please note too, that a lot of others prefer to check their packs and have yet to experience any issues at all.

I mention all of the above as a consideration to keep in mind when selecting a backpack. Is it important to have a carry on sized pack? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't?

As you become used to packing and unpacking your pack, all of those strange straps will become familiar, and their use will become second nature. And that is an important focus with a new backpack: frequently practice packing and adjusting your pack. This backpack is your 'house' while you are on Camino. It will contain your closet, your bedroom, your kitchen, your storage pantry, and the bathroom. Get to know the layout of your new house well enough that you can negotiate its floor-plan, and its rooms, with ease.

Backpacks have a lot of straps. Some makes and models have more than others. Most manufacturers will make sure that each strap is far longer than what you will probably need.

New backpacks worn by inexperienced novices are sometimes fun to observe, especially on a breezy day. As they walk by, you see large numbers of long, strap-ends furiously slapping and flapping around in the wind. You can almost pretend that the outside of the backpack has a crowd of small puppies attached, their tails all furiously wagging and whipping around helter-skelter.

Keep in mind that once you know just how much strap you need for your various adjustments, it is OK to cut them to a more appropriate length. It's a normal thing for experienced backpackers to do. It gets rid of annoying dangley and flappy bits, which can become as annoying as stalker mosquitoes. Just remember to use a lighter to lightly melt and fuse the freshly cut ends, so that the strap doesn't go all unravely on you. ;)

Correct Sizing of a Backpack

The size of the pack is determined by the length of your spine, not by how much the pack can carry. For example, a backpack with a 40 liter or 25 liter capacity does not reflect its size. Size is a measure of torso length based on measuring your spine.

Measuring for a correct fit involves determining your spine's proper length. That measurement is done by using a tape measure and measuring from the protruding 'knob' on the back of your neck which is at the base of the cervical spine, to the place on your spine that is even with the top of the crest of your hips.
  1. Tilt your head forward and feel for the bony bump where the slope of your shoulders meets your neck. This is your 7th cervical (or C7) vertebra—and the top of your torso length.
  2. On each side of your body, slide your hands down the rib cage to the top of your hip bones (aka the iliac crest). With index fingers pointing forward and thumbs pointing backward, draw an imaginary line between your thumbs. This spot on your lumbar is the bottom of your torso measurement.
  3. Stand up straight and measure - or have your friend measure - the distance between the C7 and the imaginary line between your thumbs. That’s your torso length.
1621527437526.png

(The above picture courtesy of REI)

Once you have that measurement in inches or centimeters, you can then look at the backpack manufacturer's sizing guide. This guide will be used to match your spine length, to their stated size range.

Sometimes, a manufacturer's sizes are expressed as Small to Extra Large. Sometimes that size scale will combine the sizes like: S/M, M/L, L/XL. When the sizes are combined, it usually means that there is a good amount of adjustability to the frame of the pack to customize the fit. That will usually be in the shoulder harness and the hipbelt so that a fine tuned fit can be achieved.

Fitting The Shoulder Harness

First, let me mention that there are differences in the shapes of shoulder straps. The standard shoulder strap shape has been what some manufacturers describe as a "J" shape. This shape tends to fit the chest shape of the male better than the female due to the lesser fullness of the chest. However, even with some men who have bigger chests, the J strap shape can be uncomfortable.

A few manufacturers, ULA and Six Moons Design are the most notable, have developed what is called an "S" shaped strap. This shape has solved many of the fit issues for women, allowing for the straps to properly sit on the shoulders without the uncomfortable compression and chafing due to breasts of larger chests. Here is a link which shows the difference between the two strap shapes:

The shoulder harness should wrap around over your shoulders and sit slightly below the top of the shoulder. The shoulder straps should sit comfortably toward the middle of the shoulder girdle, although that may vary a bit. It should not feel like they are going to slip off your shoulders or sit tight against the base of your neck.

The sternum strap should NOT be required to keep the shoulder straps in place. The sternum strap does connect the shoulder straps, but it is designed to help control where the straps sit on the shoulders with excess pack movement; it is not meant to overcome a poor fit and placement of the shoulder straps.

After fastening the sternum strap in place, pull the adjustment strap until you feel a bit of tension.

The sternum strap on a good pack can adjust up and down on the shoulder straps. The usual placement is somewhere just below the collar bone, but body types and builds will cause a variation of where the sternum strap placement feels best.

Hip Belt Adjustments

For the hip belt, the pad of the belt should sort of 'cradle' the crest of the hip bone: the top of the pad should be slightly above the top of the crest while the bottom of the pad should be slightly below the top. Again, the belt, when it is snugged down, should cradle. The belt should not entirely sit above your hips so that the pad compresses your waist, nor should the entire pad sit below the crest of your hips totally squeezing the hip bones.

There is a lot of misinformation about how a pack's load is distributed between shoulders and hips. It is NOT true that the waist/hip belt carries the entire load of the pack. It definitely CAN do that, but doing so is undesirable.

There are reasons which make it necessary to keep the shoulder harness unweighted with the full load weight on the hipbelt. These include damage or injury to the shoulder girdle. There are folks who prefer a total load on the hipbelt even though their shoulder girdle is healthy, but it is a practice which has potential complications associated with it. Even so, it is up to an individual to decide.

If the Hip/waist belt carries the entire weight of the pack
  1. it means the shoulder harness is unweighted and there can be significant pack movement which, during difficult walking terrain, can create problems with your center of gravity. I have seen people lose their balance and fall as a result.
  2. It also can result in your core muscles being overworked, stressed and fatigued trying to compensate from that extra movement.
  3. All of that weight on the pelvis can create significant compression forces by requiring the hipbelt to be over-tightened in order to prevent it from slipping down. This can cause numbness and pain as blood flow and nerve compression is experienced.
  4. All of the weight on the hipbelt will also place additional strain to the hip sockets and knees.
The load ratio will be about 5 to 15 percent for the shoulders and 85 to 95 percent on the hips. This will allow for the proper engagement of your core muscles to help carry the backpack.

Steps To Adjusting a Backpack Before Walking

I'll add a link to a video (ignore the manufacturer) that shows the best steps to follow when putting on a pack and adjusting it. The basic steps are these:
  1. Loosen all of the straps on the shoulder harness and hip belt.
  2. Put on the pack and very slightly tighten the shoulder straps so that the hip belt is slightly below the hips.
  3. Shrug your shoulders up, and then fasten the waist belt as you are getting it roughly into position.
  4. Slightly tighten the shoulder straps to assist with the hip belt adjustment.
  5. Position the hip belt padding to let the padding sit half above and half below the crest of the hips. The padding of the belt should never sit entirely above the hips. The padding should sort of wrap itself over the top of the hip bone and hug the hips.
  6. Tighten the belt just enough to keep it in position. At this point, nearly 100% of the packs weight is resting on the hips.
  7. Snug the shoulder straps to take up 5 to 15 percent of the packs weight. You will feel just a slight unloading of the weight off the hips.
  8. At the top of the shoulder straps and toward the pack, are smaller straps called 'load lifters'. Grasp them and pull to your front. You will feel the weight of the pack lift up slightly and pull more snugly toward your back. This helps with center of gravity and balance. You can experiment with how snug or how loose you want to pull on the straps. A properly adjusted load lifter strap will form a sort of 45 degree angle when viewed from the side.
  9. On some waist/hip belts there can be a small strap connected to each side of the belt. Again, pulling forward on those straps will bring the bottom of the pack closer to your back, helping with balance as you are walking.

It is important to remember that after you make the first pack adjustment before starting to walk, that you will frequently be changing those adjustments while walking: tightening, loosening, pulling, having the pack higher or lower....

Pack adjustments are a dynamic thing, not a static thing. As you walk, how the pack feels, pressure points, center of gravity, etc WILL change. This is why it is important to become so familiar with your pack that making adjustments becomes second nature as you walk, requiring no real thought or consideration.

A good pack, loaded and adjusted properly, will be so integrated to your body while walking that you sometimes forget you are wearing it. Now, nothing will make a weighted load in a pack disappear, but it will help keep that load from becoming an agonizing exercise in torture :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

-- Deuter ACT Lite 40L

Love REI stuff. AND if it doesn't work out you can return it within a year.

Pack Rule #1: The bigger the pack, the more you can carry, not a good idea on this particular challenge.
Pack Rule #2: Most packs are heavy compared to what they are to do. As one said, the Deuter pack is over 4 lb. My total pack weight, and a good goal to shoot for is 10 lb., (not including water, of course).
Pack Rule #3: It HAS to be comfortable.
Pack Rule #4: No matter what pack is taken on the first Camino, the pack, and contents on the second Camino will likely be much less. Save learning that from experience.

Osprey does a good job in this area. My first Camino pack was an Osprey Kestrel 46. I put too much into it and that caused a lot of grief. So, refer to Rule #1.

My latest Camino Pack goes in a way different direction and I admit it is not for everyone as it is at the low end of acceptable as far as volume is concerned. It is the Gobi Gear Freedom Pack;

It is a day pack, pretty much but with more sophisticated features. And really, we are all day hiking...just for a whole lot of days. If the contents can be whittled down to just what is needed, this pack / bag minimizes its own weight so real essentials can be included on your list.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My latest Camino Pack goes in a way different direction and I admit it is not for everyone as it is at the low end of acceptable as far as volume is concerned. It is the Gobi Gear Freedom Pack;

It is a day pack, pretty much but with more sophisticated features. And really, we are all day hiking...just for a whole lot of days. If the contents can be whittled down to just what is needed, this pack / bag minimizes its own weight so real essentials can be included on your list.

Michelle, I am not a gear fanatic at all - I tend to buy cheap and use and abuse it - in fact, I am to taking care of gear as King Herod was to childcare - but that pack of yours? I love it. True, it is short in the back, but for the seasoned pilgrim who knows what truly minimal packing means? what's not to like - and it weighs only 396 gms, I mean, 396 gms!! - I am Seriously impressed and have moved from "oh, I will Google that" to "Want" - dang - I don't even need a backpack .. but a real backpack weighing 396 gms??? Want!! - and it is ridiculously cheap too (makes you wonder about Mountain Gear and Go-Lite doesn't it).
Thinks: Jack Reacher, be envious. 😂

I have used the Osprey Talon 44 on 3 Caminos and it worked well for me. I liked the size adjustments, additional bottom opening and strap pockets to name a few. A 44 is plenty large enough IMHO and if the pack needs repair Osprey does it for free. Many considerations as others have detailed but most important is that it fits YOUR body. Good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just going by the weights of those packs I would rule out the Deuter (unless it is the most comfortable) because it is quite heavy at 3lbs 11oz.

You can type the name of the pack into the search on the forum and find others who have used this pack, like on these threads that I searched for "REI Trail 40: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ar-and-rei-backpacks-et-al.72280/#post-974680

I just had to bury at sea my backpack from REI that I used on my last 6 Caminos. I have a new REI pack that I will use next time. It is smaller and will work just fine for an October 2022 CP from Lisbon to Fatima to Porto to the Coastal to the Spiritual variant to Santiago haha. Not taking a sleeping bag only a sleep sac. I continue to continue to err on the side of weight rather than caution. My new one is super light and with a full pack feels like a feather.

-- Deuter ACT Lite 40L

Hi, Ive done 3 Caminos and used my Osprey Talon 33 every time. pack light, only take what you need (really need) and you'll be fine. If you take one too big you'll just fill it up and then have to carry it :)

I set off on my 4th from SJPP on May 20th. cant wait check out my bio for my blog which may help with your prep

cheers mark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do not be prejudiced against external frame packs.

I chose a Kelty Trekker 65 external frame pack for my two long pilgrimages and was very pleased with it. It provided many more fitment adjustments than any internal frame pack that I have ever seen, and I found that I needed all of them. Alter making various adjustments in the first few days, it fit very well and was as comfortable as I can imagine any pack could be. The external frame and trampoline rigging kept the body of the pack away from my back, which provided some cooling ventilation, and helped prevent abrasion of the back of my shirts.

Too large to carry onto the airplane, so I had it stretch-wrapped at the airport to protect the various straps and buckles, and checked it. I collapsed my poles and tied them to the rigging side of the pack before the stretch wrapping. Everything arrived OK.

Hi Jake, i too am pretty much in the same position as you. i am 6'0" and 200lbs, planniing my first camino I went to an REI and got fitted. I measured a large. The guys at REI had a couple of weights to simulate carrying the pack with a load. It makes a difference in the feel of the pack while wearing it. I ordered an Osprey Exos 38.
Going to add my vote for REI here. Research is good but I strongly agree with folks about the fit. All the packs you mentioned are well made - it’s just a matter how they work for you and then small preferences like pocket locations and zips, etc.

It was a really hard road for me to learn I needed a pack with an adjustable frame - I now know I have a long torso and the standard sizes didn’t work. I had to make it over the mountain to Pamplona to correct the issues and it was terrible to say the least. (Is CaminoTecha still open??)

I will also go out on a limb and say with a proper fitting pack for your frame, an extra pound or so in pack weight won’t matter much as a trade off, especially at your height and build.

I am an REI enthusiast - let them make recommendations on the fit, pack adjustments, and model. The then test it out - in the store and at home with a lot more weight even that you plan to carry. You won’t really know until you have some K’s and hours with the pack to be sure.

One small bit of unpopular advice about volume - you will need some layers for spring to summer weather. Make sure you have what you need without giving yourself too much room to overpack. Lots of pilgrims have gear hanging everywhere with small packs - just not my style. I would find 36L challenging and I am a pretty good about leaving “just in case” items at home and carried less that 10% of my body weight for each Camino. 45L is my Goldilocks.

Happy hunting!!!
Leah

Last edited:
I think volume required is somewhat dictated by body size. Clothes to fit a large person are going to take up more space than clothes to fit a small person.

Second thing that is a big factor on volume is whether or not you're carrying a sleeping bag and how much cold weather clothing do you have.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Im with everyone who suggested the one that fits you like a glove and that becomes a part of you, the smallest capacity you can manage ,bigger means you will be tempted to fill with items you dont need 25 minimum max 40l anything bigger IMHO you dont need

I bought the previous version of the REI Trail 40 two years ago shortly before the new (current) version was released and seriously could not be happier with it. I've been using it for long day hikes and the occasional weekend camping trip and it carries really comfortably. I've also been packing it with what I intend to take on my upcoming CF in May and it has room for everything, with ample organizational features and without too many extraneous bells and whistles. The full double zipper system makes loading and unloading the bag a lot easier than bags that open from the top only, which I anticipate will be helpful in getting my gear out and back in quickly and efficiently for those early morning albergue situations. There are a few reviews online that seem to back up my favorable opinion - and the top review on REI.com for the previous version (the one that I have) is from someone who used it on their own Camino a while back and called it "perfect". And you can't beat the price, not to mention REI's easy return policy if you do buy it and have a change of heart before your trip. Very highly recommended!

I live in Canada where there are no REI stores and REI doesn't ship to Canada. What would be a comparable pack in another brand?

Michelle, I am not a gear fanatic at all - I tend to buy cheap and use and abuse it - in fact, I am to taking care of gear as King Herod was to childcare - but that pack of yours? I love it. True, it is short in the back, but for the seasoned pilgrim who knows what truly minimal packing means? what's not to like - and it weighs only 396 gms, I mean, 396 gms!! - I am Seriously impressed and have moved from "oh, I will Google that" to "Want" - dang - I don't even need a backpack .. but a real backpack weighing 396 gms??? Want!! - and it is ridiculously cheap too (makes you wonder about Mountain Gear and Go-Lite doesn't it).
Thinks: Jack Reacher, be envious. 😂
When all the cards are dealt, it is all about what you need, the, “Must Haves.”

And use of a Rain Poncho negates needing a cover [just a free add].

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How did your visit to REI go? As someone else mentioned, I rely on their pack experts too. Super helpful. I own a Deuter ACT Lite. It’s not “light” at all but it’s super comfy and I have an emotional attachment to it. I also own a newer REI pack that is both larger and lighter, which I also love. Both times, I spent an hour in the store with the pack guy and walking around with it *overweighted. Then went home and went back a week later to retest it the same way before purchasing. As an also tall human, I would suggest keeping the size/volume of your clothing in mind. The 33-36 ltr recommendations often made can be a very tight fit for a person with larger clothes.

Hi Seriously look at this award winning range from AARN and the philosophy behind the packs. The design is perfect for Camino and I have used it on all of mine. The link is for the pack but you'll find your way onto the website. Good luck choosing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We walked the CF from St Jean to Santiago in 2019. My buddy carried a Trader Joe's grocery bag ($ 1.99) wrapped in a sarong which doubled as a tumpline. I don't understand why everyone insists on overthinking this. This is nothing to stress about. The Camino is nothing more than a long series of day hikes, one after the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

-- Deuter ACT Lite 40L

If you are a first timer, go the YouTube and watch the Wonderlust Lawyer videos.

We walked the CF from St Jean to Santiago in 2019. My buddy carried a Trader Joe's grocery bag ($ 1.99) wrapped in a sarong which doubled as a tumpline. I don't understand why everyone insists on overthinking this. This is nothing to stress about. The Camino is nothing more than a long series of day hikes, one after the other.
Did he walk in bare feet too ?? As a wise man once said "any fool can be uncomfortable" !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Osprey anti gravity... just don't take the top attached pack with you...extremely comfortable, breathes better than most....awesome hip belt with pockets..... my point, don't obsess about the fact this is possibly 1 lb heavier than other smaller ones....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.