Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Help me remember an albergue

Book your Bus ticket here

Zordmot

3rd CF in May 2022
Past OR future Camino
April-May 2022
Presently walking my third Camino. I have many Camino memories..but not in sequential order! I’m remembering a particular parish church albergue up a flight of steps that featured a communal supper prepared by peregrino volunteers, a non-sectarian time of spiritual reflection led by really wonderful parish volunteers, and everyone sleeps on mattresses on the floor. And the place is as cold as a tomb. It all sounds depressing but several of us consider it a real highlight of our Camino. Does this ring a bell for you?

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
The stairs make me also think of Grañon.

Another option would be the Parroquial in Tosantos but there you have the livingroom on the groundfloor and the rooms upstairs.

irishrock

Past OR future Camino
Frances (1st three stages in 2016 and finished in 2017)
Presently walking my third Camino. I have many Camino memories..but not in sequential order! I’m remembering a particular parish church albergue up a flight of steps that featured a communal supper prepared by peregrino volunteers, a non-sectarian time of spiritual reflection led by really wonderful parish volunteers, and everyone sleeps on mattresses on the floor. And the place is as cold as a tomb. It all sounds depressing but several of us consider it a real highlight of our Camino. Does this ring a bell for you?
sure seems like you're describing Granon

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Spammy

Past OR future Camino
Future - this May (2016)
Tosantos???

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
Tosantos has living/dining space in the ground floor, sleeping space above that, and then a spiritual reflection area in the “attic”. Run by volunteers, but not associated with a parish.

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Tosantos has living/dining space in the ground floor, sleeping space above that, and then a spiritual reflection area in the “attic”. Run by volunteers, but not associated with a parish.

Seee my post above #3 : Tosantos describes themselves as a parroquial in Gronze.
As does Wisepilgrim.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
Tosantos describes themselves as a parroquial in Gronze.
Sure, but I wouldn’t describe them as “parish volunteers” - neither would anyone who has stayed there. My point is that Tosantos is not likely the place they are describing (though it IS one of my favorite albergues!)

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Past OR future Camino
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks on the CF frequently.
Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
If we can establish weather the clothes washing facilities were above the the roof of the church, then that would be Granon?

Past OR future Camino
Walking, Astorga-Sarria 2011, StJPdP -Longrono 2012, Logrono- Burgos 2013, StJPdP - SdComp 2014, Valenca do Minho - Santiago ,Easter 2015, Seville- Santiago by roadbike, Sept 2015. Burgos to Leon, walking, May 2016
I stayed in Albergue San Francisco de Asis in Tosantas. Mattresses/Camping mats on the floor. Prayers upstairs after dinner. You could leave a request/petition in a special box which they kept for 20/22 days. That was the number of days expected to reach Santiago. They read some of the petitions from pilgrims who had passed through the day before. All very nice and reminded me again, that we are all on the same path in life, with the same worries and concerns.

Becky 59

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018, 2021
Camino Ingles (Aug 2019)
Not Grañon, where they have real beds not mattresses, when I was there last fall.

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Tandem Graham

E ultreia e suseia, Deus adjuva nos
Past OR future Camino
Bike UK-SdC, Lana
Walk Le Puy-SdC
'22: VDLP
Sound more like the parish albergue in Viana to me.

makingtrax

Past OR future Camino
El norte2010
Portuguese 2014
Primativo 2016
Frances sept 2017!
Could it be Castro Jerez

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

SkyDancer

Camino dreaming
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2021, Portuguese Central 2022
This sounds like the Parroquial de Viana.

There was a lovely local woman cooking, don’t know if she was a volunteer.

Did the the main square look like this? (taken from dining room window) EBB47D0C-86CA-4D41-BAAC-9FEFF1A12B38.jpeg
1652724762198.jpeg
Dorms were upstairs. I was in the smaller of the two rooms. Only one there so got several mats! 😊

Last edited:

dfborg

Don to la Mancha
Past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2013 Camino Portugues 2015 Camino Frances (2017)
Sounds like Longrono at the Iglesia de Santiago

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011, 2019. CP (tbc)
I've never stayed at Grañon, but I always thought that they had mats on the floor.
When I stayed, there were a small number of beds then the hall downstairs was opened up. Gym mats for mattresses.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online

Rocco

Past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte
Must be Granon--the veritable heart of the Camino spirit. The only albergue in any of the Caminos I have walked that has no sello because "if it isn't stamped in your heart and soul then stamping a piece of paper would make no difference."

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

lucasNDW

Eunate on the camino Aragones maybe?

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Past OR future Camino
Future Camino Frances (2022)
Definitely Granon - currently sitting next to a young lady who stayed there when we were in Granon a few days ago. After the Pilgrims mass they went upstairs to the loft to cook and sleep.

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo
Past OR future Camino
2015 & 2016 (partial)
Also the Parroquial at Viana is up the steps, sleeping on mats and communal supper. Also a reflection the night we stayed with a reflection in the choir loft.
I did not know this existed. I've been more than once at the Viana "municipal" but it has bunks. Can you post lat/long or address? Or a map image with a marker?

Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
Yes, @Zordmot has been negligent. But we should give him a break, since...

When walking a Camino, one's attention span for other things can suffer!
Indeed, even a 'camino' from the front room to the kitchen!
I often had to swivel around when almost at the top of the stairs, as a child, and go back down to ask what it was I had been sent up to get!
So yes, indeed, it was Grañon.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.

domigee

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Grañon!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings