• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

HELP! my wife won't stop eating....

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Now some of you may recall I was planning on taking a Rice Cooker this year.

My wife Pat is very much a rice addict, being from Thailand. She was worried that she wouldn't enjoy the local food here in Spain. So I bought a tiny rice cooker to bring along for emergency doses of rice as required....

Thankfully the rice cooker got left behind. The emergency food supply being changed to a water heating coil, a lightweight cup and some packets of one minute Thai noodles.

En route to our Sarria start point we had a very pleasant 2 nights in Madrid. There she discovered paella and sangria :eek: and the tapas market!

Then, prior to starting out from Sarria we had our planned 'warm up' walk up past the Cruz DE ferro. The previous night in El convento she discovered the pilgrim's menu that included lentil soup....and very tasty home made fries...

Last night in Sarria she 'feasted' on pulpo. ...peppers.....prawns. ....croquettes. .....

My pack is also loaded down with 'snacks' to eat along the way... churrizo ........ salami......

And I know at our accommodation tonight the pilgrim's menu will be really tasty and calorie packed.....

what have I created? On my Camino last year I felt like Joost 'eating his way' across Spain.

This year I am joined by 'Joostina' ! :rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was hoping all the walking might shave a few pounds off my waistline:( but it sounds like the walking is essential just to maintain the status quo! Buen Camino Joost and Joostina:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ha! Ha!

When you get home I can send you the names of companies with seed for pimientos and crocus bulbs for saffron. All flourishing in my Adelaide backyard and taking us back to the camino with each bite.

And then there's the wine merchants... we even did a course on Spanish wines at the adult education centre recently :rolleyes:

So glad to hear your Camino is off to a good start. I think that those of us who are lucky enough to be able to forego the menú del peregrino and try some of the "real stuff" find it harder to balance the intake with the output. It's much easier to lose weight when you have filete con patatas every day of your walk! Buen camino to the Joosts, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
En route to our Sarria start point we had a very pleasant 2 nights in Madrid. There she discovered paella and sangria :eek: and the tapas market!

Those aren't bad discoveries; specially if she liked them (as it seems). The Mercado de San Miguel is very popular nowadays. However, you've yet to discover dishes/food more typical from Madrid than paella and sangría like, for example, callos, cocido, bocata de calamares, churros, barquillos...

Keep enjoying the food both of you. You've yet tons of foods/dishes to discover (not just in Madrid)... That could be the perfect excuse to come back a year and another year and another one and...

¡Buen camino!

Ha! Ha!

When you get home I can send you the names of companies with seed for pimientos and crocus bulbs for saffron. All flourishing in my Adelaide backyard and taking us back to the camino with each bite.

And then there's the wine merchants... we even did a course on Spanish wines at the adult education centre recently :rolleyes:

And we are growing Padron peppers in New Zealand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was hoping all the walking might shave a few pounds off my waistline:( but it sounds like the walking is essential just to maintain the status quo! Buen Camino Joost and Joostina:p

If you're doing 30+ days you will most certainly lose weight, it was rare I met anyone who didn't lose weight on Camino.

One gent from Seattle I walked with lost 35 lbs in 30 days, I lost 15 ... and we were not holding back on eating, we were eating everything we could.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From what I observed in my travels in Thailand the Thai people seem to enjoy eating several smaller meals each day.

My wife Pat is very much a rice addict, being from Thailand.............................what have I created? ..............................

Thanks Rob, that's my laugh out loud moment today.
Buen (tummy-filled) Camino to you both.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Rob, that's my laugh out loud moment today.
Buen (tummy-filled) Camino to you both.
Same here Robo.....you make me smile :) Great writing skills !!!! Have a great Camino with Pat. I hope she loves it :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now some of you may recall I was planning on taking a Rice Cooker this year.

My wife Pat is very much a rice addict, being from Thailand. She was worried that she wouldn't enjoy the local food here in Spain. So I bought a tiny rice cooker to bring along for emergency doses of rice as required....

Thankfully the rice cooker got left behind. The emergency food supply being changed to a water heating coil, a lightweight cup and some packets of one minute Thai noodles.

Then, prior to starting out from Sarria we had our planned 'warm up' walk up past the Cruz DE ferro. The previous night in El convento she discovered the pilgrim's menu that included lentil soup....and very tasty home made fries...

Last night in Sarria she 'feasted' on pulpo. ...peppers.....prawns. ....croquettes. .....

My pack is also loaded down with 'snacks' to eat along the way... churrizo ........ salami......

And I know at our accommodation tonight the pilgrim's menu will be really tasty and calorie packed.....

what have I created? On my Camino last year I felt like Joost 'eating his way' across Spain.

I am also a rice eater originally from the Philippines. My friend and I are walking from the 17th. My husband offered to get me a little rice cooker which I declined. I knew I can find paella in Spain. Happy eating and Buen Camino!

I am also a rice eater originally from the Philippines. My friend and I are walking from the 17th. My husband offered to get me a little rice cooker which I declined. I knew I can find paella in Spain. Happy eating and Buen Camino!
This must be music to @Robo 's ears as he was as sensitive to his wife Pat's needs as your husband also was. Hopefully you will enjoy much more than the paella, just like Pat!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I knew I can find paella in Spain.

Yes but be careful with tourist traps. Paella is typical from Valencia. Being a well-known dish out of Spain, it's offered at many tourist towns and cities but, outside of Valencia and the Autonomous Community of Valencia, many times it's a low quality paella or something they present as a paella but wouldn't be considered a paella by a Valencian. I would suggest to avoid eating a paella at any site that shows a picture of it and/or at any site with the paellador logo (pre-cooked paellas). And don't think you'll find paella everywhere out of the Autonomous Community of Valencia and popular turist areas. Some albergues along the French way make paella sometimes even though it isn't typical of that area of Spain. If you have that chance (to eat a home made paella at an albergue), it would be a better alternative than to look for a restaurant along the French Way making it that most likely will be aimed mostly for tourists.

There are tons of rice dishes in Spain (other than paella) so depending on the route you are walking you may find local specialties like, for example, the arroz a la zamorana (Zamora style rice) in Zamora, on the Vía de la Plata.

P.S.: Even in Valencia and the Autonomous community of Valencia there are tourist traps serving bad or low quality paella so it's always a good idea to ask locally where can you eat a good one.

Ha! Ha!

And then there's the wine merchants... we even did a course on Spanish wines at the adult education centre recently :rolleyes:[/QUOT

May we have the link for the pimentos please?

Regards,
Pearl and Randy Menk

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, Joost was my favorite character as he ate his way across Spain, so it's kind of nice to know there is a Joostina!! At least there are no regrets on leaving the rice cooker behind!;)

If you're doing 30+ days you will most certainly lose weight, it was rare I met anyone who didn't lose weight on Camino.

One gent from Seattle I walked with lost 35 lbs in 30 days, I lost 15 ... and we were not holding back on eating, we were eating everything we could.
How many miles a day are you walking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I ate what I wanted and drank wine and full on coke and still lost weight. It was June and hot though.

OK the Rice Cooker is back on the agenda! All 880 gms.

If I leave out the electric coil and cup, The net additional weight is 500 gms. Very tempting. Though it takes my pack to 8.7 kg and Pat's is still at 3.4 kg. (she's very small)

Given that Pat doesn't really eat bread, it would be great for her to have some rice for breakfast and a bag to carry with her on the walk. Yes....a bag of Rice will make her a happy Teddy....

So I'm on the search for an even lighter cooker :rolleyes:
And checking my packing list to see what I could drop.
Do we both need a hiking umbrella? I would have loved one to keep the sun off....

Does anyone by chance read Mandarin?
The Cooker instructions are in Chinese...
At least I think it's Mandarin rather than Cantonese.... :confused:
It's a bit double Dutch/Chinese to me ....... :oops:

Time will tell, how far the Rice Cooker gets before being dumped :D

€46,-
Do we both need a hiking umbrella? I would have loved one to keep the sun off....

Which camino are you walking and when?? On the Francés, I would only take an umbrella in July/August....

As for the rice cooker ! :D Would your wife eat Spanish rice or does it have to be Thai? I know in towns' supermarkets they sell ready meals, you should be able to find 'ready to eat' arroz a banda or something similar .... ? Or order a rice dish in a restaurant and pack it in a tupperware type thing? :confused:
Only trying to save you a lot of weight ;)

My friend had the opposite experience in Thailand... I asked her if she enjoyed the food (I LOVE Thai food) and all I got was a big sigh 'Nooooooo, sick and tired of rice at every meal!' :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK the Rice Cooker is back on the agenda! All 880 gms.

If I leave out the electric coil and cup, The net additional weight is 500 gms. Very tempting. Though it takes my pack to 8.7 kg and Pat's is still at 3.4 kg. (she's very small)

Given that Pat doesn't really eat bread, it would be great for her to have some rice for breakfast and a bag to carry with her on the walk. Yes....a bag of Rice will make her a happy Teddy....

So I'm on the search for an even lighter cooker :rolleyes:
And checking my packing list to see what I could drop.

Time will tell, how far the Rice Cooker gets before being dumped :D
Did you check to see if you can find frozen rice & just boil the bag? Or if lucky a microwave at the alburgue? Seems there are nice sized towns after Sarria.
I realize I made a horrible suggestion for true rice lovers Yet I also remember the alburges in Galicia had some beautiful empty kitchens for cooking. No pans. I never thought about it until now, be like those that don't carry their pack send your pots ahead :)

I never thought about it until now, be like those that don't carry their pack send your pots ahead :)

Now there's a thought! A small bag with the rice cooker and a bag of rice to send ahead each day ;)

I think we may end up relying on instant noodles for Pat's breakfast :oops: That worked well last time.
Will all depend on my weight loss and fitness program and if I can 'tote' the extra weight... :(

Last edited:
I thought my Dad was bad enough bringing the travel kettle with him when we go tomorrow. Wait until I tell him about the lady and her Rice pot;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought my Dad was bad enough bringing the travel kettle with him when we go tomorrow. Wait until I tell him about the lady and her Rice pot;)
No need for your Dad to take a travel kettle with him. There are those on the forum who swear by the electric coil. And it's much smaller. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

:):) And it's not "the lady and her Rice pot." It's the husband who is considering bringing the rice pot out of consideration for his wife. And a very kind fellow he is. :)

Interesting that you should ask this. A friend who used to live in Hong Kong told me that although Cantonese and Mandarin are very different languages, they are both written exactly the same. :)

Yes but be careful with tourist traps. Paella is typical from Valencia. Being a well-known dish out of Spain, it's offered at many tourist towns and cities but, outside of Valencia and the Autonomous Community of Valencia, many times it's a low quality paella or something they present as a paella but wouldn't be considered a paella by a Valencian. I would suggest to avoid eating a paella at any site that shows a picture of it and/or at any site with the paellador logo (pre-cooked paellas). And don't think you'll find paella everywhere out of the Autonomous Community of Valencia and popular turist areas. Some albergues along the French way make paella sometimes even though it isn't typical of that area of Spain. If you have that chance (to eat a home made paella at an albergue), it would be a better alternative than to look for a restaurant along the French Way making it that most likely will be aimed mostly for tourists.

There are tons of rice dishes in Spain (other than paella) so depending on the route you are walking you may find local specialties like, for example, the arroz a la zamorana (Zamora style rice) in Zamora, on the Vía de la Plata.

P.S.: Even in Valencia and the Autonomous community of Valencia there are tourist traps serving bad or low quality paella so it's always a good idea to ask locally where can you eat a good one.
If I had bad paella I never noticed as it was a treat to get it. My next trip I am going to try to avoid the pilgrim meals & learn enough Spanish to know what food is on the menu. Crazy to travel that far & accept whatever was put in front of me, sometimes a person takes that personal journey a bit too far. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would suggest to avoid eating a paella at any site that shows a picture of it and/or at any site with the paellador logo (pre-cooked paellas).
I understand your point. However, I'll put in a word of defense for those non-paellas. Sometimes I ate and enjoyed those meals immensely, even if they were not "authentic."

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back